Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #181 of 313 Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Can you take 4 bays and run one 6" flex in each? Seems like it would fit in the bay. Also note that duct comes in 7" and 9", so if you can't get the 2-8" or 4-6", maybe you can use the other sizes to get close.

Something very similar to what you plan on doing is being discussed in the Plains Theater thread. Might be worth a read to see the discussion there.

ICC Certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 313 Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Basically I am trying to make the returns and supplies as large as the house will physically allow and hope for the best.

"Hope" is not a generally accepted engineering term. wink.gif

Can you not pay a small consulting fee to the company you bought this unit from to give you the mechanical plan you would need to follow?
post #183 of 313 Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
LOL, no there is a little more science behind it. We had a Chartered Engineer do the install work for the rest of the house (a seperate system). He said to just have two returns and two supplies and go as large as you could go

The problem is I am trying to balance soundproofing issues with duct size, along with design issues for the room itself (soffit shape and size)

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #184 of 313 Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Take it from a guy that had a hot theater in the past....I would have given up any amount of soundproofing to be nice and comfortable. So my tidbit of advice would be to have the ducts sized to what they need to be without concern for their size and then just soundproof these shell penetrations the best you can using industry-standard soundproofing techniques.
post #185 of 313 Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I would strongly recommend sizing it properly.. Is there any reason you can't use 4 bays and run 4 6" flex lines. No need to learn this lesson yourself, it's already been done.

It will probably cool the space just fine with any amount of duct.. it's the noise.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #186 of 313 Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Been spending a little time in the living room tweaking the L and R and its interaction with the sub. This is where I am came to today, I'm very happy with them. The only downside of these speakers is the 40-80hz performance. Its a little lacking. The ones I'll build in the theater will have an additional 18" driver which will sort that out (other option is to use the Acoustic Elegance TD15m - which is a bloody superb driver) - measurements taken at MLP for the L and R with Sub on:

I still don't quite know how to measure the delay at the crossover frequency and apply accordingly.....anyone? I've read the various REW guides, but I don't understand it well enough

I can start work on the theater again whenever, problem is finding the time and I need to build a few things first to get a stack of timber out of it (plus clean it out as its become "storage")......I reckon we're 6 months away from any real progress. Ducts are next, I'm going to DIY them from formply, lined with "stuff" etc.

yes go on and say it - shameful bump biggrin.gif

Peter the Greek

post #187 of 313 Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Peter,

Thanks for the update ... amazing progress ... NOT ! tongue.gif

Cheers,

Peter M

post #188 of 313 Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I agree with Peter M. Very poor progress my friend. Those measurements look remarkably similar to the wavelength of the average nagging Aussie wife. Now start some work in that room. If you need some help let me know. Cheers. Greg. Your mate with the completed theatre.

Follow my thread
post #189 of 313 Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Harsh....but fair.

Hey I wouldn't say we've made no progress in the last 10 months smile.gif

AdaonRed_zpsa30466aa.jpg

Peter the Greek

post #190 of 313 Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice photo Pete. Hey, youre a great photographer. I have an idea.....lol

Follow my thread
post #191 of 313 Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Gorgeous photo Peter ... she obviously takes after her mother ! tongue.gif

Cheers,

Peter M

post #192 of 313 Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Super cute! with beautiful eyes! amazing photo skills!

post #193 of 313 Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Beautiful - but you know, in terms of photo composition, kids are even cuter when standing inside a giant subwoofer manifold

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #194 of 313 Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

LOL, you can't see their hair all over the rug?.....need to vacuum tomorrow.

Edit: Here's one of our Girl, just so you dont feel like you're missing out

Hey Elill, thanks for stopping by my thread. Its good to see another aussie building a dedicated home theatre, everyone i talk to about thinks i'm crazy, its just not very common.
Awesome photo, i have a 4yo lab named bailey, im very much NOT looking forward to pulling his hair out of every nook and cranny in the home theatre, as you must know that stuff
somehow weaves it self through any type of fabric. I opened up a can of beans the other night and his hair was inside it!!!
post #195 of 313 Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanb21 View Post

I opened up a can of beans the other night and his hair was inside it!!!

LOL, I know the feeling!

I am contemplating (bio hazard suit on) a timber floor for our room for this exact reason......I figure I can treat the ceiling....lets see

Check out PeterM's room - he just won best theater in his category at CEDIA. Also Greg's once I get my act together and go take some photos of it (Once that is done I'll start an Aussie Builds thread I think). Also the Sugarloaf Theater. Then there is the dude in Adelaide with the awesome DIY curved screen....and then the other Peter's room. There is a few of them floating about biggrin.gif ....just not mine frown.gif

Peter the Greek

post #196 of 313 Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I will have to search for this other Adelaide fellow.

post #197 of 313 Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once that is done I'll start an Aussie Builds thread I think.

Or how about an "All the things I did except build the theatre" thread ! biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Peter M

post #198 of 313 Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter,

Have you heard from Greg lately ? He's been remarkably quiet. Must give him a ring.

Cheers,

Peter M

post #199 of 313 Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Or how about an "All the things I did except build the theatre" thread ! biggrin.gif

Cheers,

We've already got one of those, its called the "Downunder Theatre MKII" thread biggrin.gif

Exchanged PM's with Greg a few weeks back, I need to pull my thumb out and organise to get up there (the Mr's hasn't been well)....he's just about finished the inside reno's, but then he said something about a pool

Peter the Greek

post #200 of 313 Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We've already got one of those, its called the "Downunder Theatre MKII" thread biggrin.gif

LOL !

Quote:

but then he said something about a pool

Now that's going to take some DIY'ing ! rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Peter M

post #201 of 313 Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes.....yes it will

Follow my thread
post #202 of 313 Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic ... another malicious thread bump just to remind Peter how little he's done !! biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Peter M

post #203 of 313 Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Did Peter do something? Really?

Follow my thread
post #204 of 313 Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah yeah, I am making progress - working on a new "tool chest: which is being made out of a heap of veneer that was cluttering up the "theater" - when I have cleaned it out its ready to roll again.

Here's the new workbench (still WIP)

Peter the Greek

post #205 of 313 Old 09-20-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Bet that table sounds awesome Peter! It's ok.... your local cineplex is just up the road in berowra.

Follow my thread
post #206 of 313 Old 11-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Check out PeterM's room - he just won best theater in his category at CEDIA. Also Greg's once I get my act together and go take some photos of it (Once that is done I'll start an Aussie Builds thread I think). Also the Sugarloaf Theater. Then there is the dude in Adelaide with the awesome DIY curved screen....and then the other Peter's room. There is a few of them floating about biggrin.gif ....just not mine frown.gif

There'll be another Aussie theatre build thread coming soon - January I think - mine! Have really got a lot out of reading through the existing local build threads already.
post #207 of 313 Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good stuff! (and welcome)

I suggest reading through all of Big's builds as well. Very well documented threads with lots of details:

http://www.avsforum.com/u/60657/BIGmouthinDC

I was going to save it until tonight, but I am back on!

I've got two weeks off over Christmas which I hope to get the drywalling finished....perhaps a little optomistic, but we'll see how it goes.

Peter the Greek

post #208 of 313 Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks Elill for the tip, I will read through Bigs builds as well. Listened to a very informative interview with him in Warren's HT Book course. Hope the drywalling goes well - are you doing it by yourself? It's the one part of my build I'm thinking to get a contractor in to do. From what I've read, yours has been a long running thread - many happy aussie AVS'ers will there be as you get closer to completion! Congrats on your other project - the baby - mine is now 11 months so know what delays such a side project can introduce!

post #209 of 313 Old 11-28-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOlo View Post

Congrats on your other project - the baby - mine is now 11 months so know what delays such a side project can introduce!

Thanks! they certainly do change things.

Drywall....depends how handy you are I guess. I have a double studd wall so its pretty easy. In fact even with clips and channel its not hard. My first layer is ply so that will just take some time to cut etc, but I have all the tools etc I need to do it very quickly so hopefully it wont be a massive burden.......expensive though! ordering $2k worth my ply in a week or two.

Peter the Greek

post #210 of 313 Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks! they certainly do change things.

Drywall....depends how handy you are I guess. I have a double studd wall so its pretty easy. In fact even with clips and channel its not hard. My first layer is ply so that will just take some time to cut etc, but I have all the tools etc I need to do it very quickly so hopefully it wont be a massive burden.......expensive though! ordering $2k worth my ply in a week or two.

I used ply on my first layer

Plywood sourced from http://plymaster.com.au amazing price for the quality and great delivery, miles better than anyone else I found in Sydney.

If your Sydney based it's worth checking it out
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page