Wow, theater-build companies are reluctant to build you a theater if you....... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
don't buy their equipments.

I called several specialized theater-build companies and asked them if they can convert one of my room into a professional looking theater room but do not include the equipments because I already have all the high-end equipments (speakers, receivers, projector, screen, seats, ....etc....) but they denied my business with them because they say that they would not do it if I provide my own equipments.

They states that it would be like me going to a restaurant and wanting the chefs to cook the raw food that I bring in....

I understand that it would be easier to build a theater with the equipments that they are familiar with or that they want to make more profits by selling the equipments but can't they compromise and at least make some money from just the theater room build (such as for the labor fee)?

I am so incline to just build my own and hire people to do part of the job that I cannot do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have a read of this....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=installer

Peter the Greek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #3 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You have to understand, the vast majority of what you are calling "theater-build" companies, are NOT "build" companies nor "theater build" companies. They are equipment sales and installation companies. Period. They sell you the equipment and install it. If you want the room built, you have to find a builder. You want a nice interior, find an interior designer.

Basically, the companies you are talking to make their income selling equipment and installing that equipment. That's their business model. They are not designed, or perhaps don't know (or want to know) how to make revenue by installation only.

Your local car dealer will be happy to sell you a new car and repair that new car. Don't expect them to build you a garage ... and don't even think of asking them to build you a garage for the car you bought from somewhere else.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
V, Can't you DIY? there is enough information in this forum to guide you along.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #5 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Have a read of this....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=installer

If anyone didn't take the time to click on this link you might consider doing so. Quite a post and worth the read.

Thanks for the link Elill (as well as to DE and QQQ for comments in the other post)

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #6 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

don't buy their equipments.

I called several specialized theater-build companies and asked them if they can convert one of my room into a professional looking theater room but do not include the equipments because I already have all the high-end equipments (speakers, receivers, projector, screen, seats, ....etc....) but they denied my business with them because they say that they would not do it if I provide my own equipments.

They states that it would be like me going to a restaurant and wanting the chefs to cook the raw food that I bring in....

I understand that it would be easier to build a theater with the equipments that they are familiar with or that they want to make more profits by selling the equipments but can't they compromise and at least make some money from just the theater room build (such as for the labor fee)?

I am so incline to just build my own and hire people to do part of the job that I cannot do.

Okay, lets say you provide the equipment and an installer installs it. Now when something goes wrong, who is responsible? You think it is the installer and call him. He shows up and it is not his fault and he wants to bill you for his time. That would be the fair thing to do, but it creates hard feelings. As a Commercial General contractor I never did like it when ever the owner provided items for us to install or if the owner had subcontractors working directly for him. The items for the above mentioned reason (liability) and the subcontractors because they were not responsible to the GC. Owner subcontractors a lot of times messed up other people work and left their mess for the GC to clean up. Often times the owner's installer (communications and security) would come back in after the ceiling tile is dropped and they would mess up ceiling tile, grid, marks on walls and mess on the floor and scratched floors. If you are going to have the liability then you should be making a profit for that liability and if you are going to be responsible for the outcome of the project then you should have control of the project.

Now to solve your problem. With what you want it looks like you need to go a combination route of DIY with subbing out work. Why not speak with an installer on here and have them make you a plan. Then hire a contractor (find a decent one since there are a ton of fly by night residential GC's) that will do the work for you.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I agree wholeheartedly with Dennis' post in the other thread.

I used to be a custom car stereo installer. Very rarely would we install items that were not purchased from our store. It had nothing to do with profit from the initial sale/installation. As mentioned, it had everything to do with the liability that is assumed by the installer. It is one thing to assume responsibility for items you sell. You have support from the manufacturer, access to warranties and replacements, as well as being familiar with the product. At least two of those things go out the window when products are brought in from the outside.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
As pointed out above, these are not really design companies. They are sales companies that offer installation of their equipment. And typically, these installations are second rate to companies that only do installation.

Now not everyone already has the equipment. Nor does everyone have the knowledge or desire to go out and buy it. But a reputable design and installation company can recomend good equipment and even procure it. Be prepared however to pay a premium for that serivce but it's only fair as they have to spend the time to order and track it.

Also keep in mind an independant design firm has no vested interest in any specific brand so you typically get an honest opinion as the the right stuff for your needs.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page