Rack Size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off....not that rack.

I am going to (hopefully) be framing my theater this weekend and want to know what is a good size to rough frame the opening where my rack is going to be. It is going to be an inwall rack that will be open on the back side so I can access it from my HVAC room for easy access to wiring. As of this point I have no components, I want to make it big enough to accommodate all the components including xBox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hey, I did the exact same thing and was faced with the same decision, although I had most of my components by the time I got to framing:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13197090

I alternate between wishing I had framed out more vertical space, and being happy with my original choice. Most of the components are very similar in size these days, so I would suggest just deciding what you want in there (xbox, PVR/sat receiver, BDP, AVR, power conditioner, etc), looking up your "dream" candidates for each as they tend to get bigger with price, and then just build to that. Maybe leave a blank shelf.

One of the benefits of backing the rack up into the HVAC room is that you can start a separate (not so pretty) stack in there for secondary components like whole-house equipment, the power conditioner, etc, that you don't want/need access to from the HT.

Good luck!

EDIT - p.s. Oops, just realized you didn't mention whether you were getting an aftermarket steel rack to install (in that case, the dimensions are easy!) I just assumed you were making one from scratch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 - 
One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
 - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #3 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 AM

Liked: 75
1 Rack Space = 1.5" height

Get a rough estimate of the number of components you will have and their height dimensions and that should give you a rough starting point. You will also want to factor in optional cooling and storage.

I recently built my own rack for all of my current equipment and left myself 10 additional spaces for future expansion.

The "SHOW ME YOUR RACK" thread would be a good starting place.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 53
The bigger the rack the better.

Sizing all depends on what kind of access you have or want to have. In my last place I had full access behind the rack but only about 1/4 inch to spare on the width. It worked out ok since I could access everything for wire changes, but having a bit more clearance on either side would have been nice.

For vertical space, I'd suggest framing it for more components than you have for sure. At least add one or two more spaces. You can cover the spaces now, but it will be harder to add space in the future after it is framed and finished. Maybe you'll want to add some amps or something like that... if you have the option, give yourself more room than you need.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Liked: 11
If you take a look at my build (which isnt much of a build ... yet), I'll be putting my equipment rack under the stairs. Im going to build it on rolling lockable castors and leave some cable slack. That way, if I need access to the back, I can roll it out into the hallway and not worry about it.

Im going to build it out of MDF and put some drill holes in each "shelf" (that a piece sits on) for a bit of air circulation.

What worked out really well is that the old location where my washer and dryer were, there is a dryer vent leading outside. Since the equipment room under the stairs will be "sealed" (in so much as there will be 3 walls and a door), Im going to hook up a bathroom fan to the top of the area and run a duct to the old dryer vent so any hot air will go outside. Its also lucky that my joists run that way so it wont interfere with the ceiling in anyway. Just tuck it up inside and thats it.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifers_ghost View Post

Im going to build it out of MDF and put some drill holes in each "shelf" (that a piece sits on) for a bit of air circulation.

Hey LG, just a thought as I considered doing the same thing. You can get plastic vents (like miniature HVAC ones) that work much better and are less work to install. Just jigsaw out a rectangle and pop 'em in with a bit of glue. Worked like a charm. Most woodworking places and some good hardware stores should have them - I got mine from Lee Valley.

Just a thought, sorry to hijack.

- 
One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

-
 - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #7 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I am brand new to this and don't really know a lot about what I need as far as components. I look at some builds and people have a crazy amount of stuff and then others have not so much. I was thinking...HD cable Box, xBox, BR player, driver/amp for surround sound, what else should I consider?
post #8 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

Hey LG, just a thought as I considered doing the same thing. You can get plastic vents (like miniature HVAC ones) that work much better and are less work to install. Just jigsaw out a rectangle and pop 'em in with a bit of glue. Worked like a charm. Most woodworking places and some good hardware stores should have them - I got mine from Lee Valley.

Just a thought, sorry to hijack.

Hmmmm thats actually a really good idea. I'll definitely head to a Lee Valley store and see what I can muster up.

Thanks for the tip.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 View Post

Thanks for the help guys. I am brand new to this and don't really know a lot about what I need as far as components. I look at some builds and people have a crazy amount of stuff and then others have not so much. I was thinking...HD cable Box, xBox, BR player, driver/amp for surround sound, what else should I consider?

Dude, you arent alone. I've picked up so much information from these forums, its unreal. In 8 months, Im light years ahead of where I was back then .. and Im still learning new things every day ... and most people on here are.

Things to consider (some based on budget):

For your AV receiver: 5.1 or 7.1? Consider your speakers as well. There are two schools of thought: better amp and lesser speakers or lesser amp with better speakers. I tend to lean more to the better speakers but others may not.

Do you already HAVE an xbox? Or going to buy one? If so, might want to consider a PS3? Built in blu ray AND gaming console.

Consider some sort of power conditioner / UPS unit.

What are you going to do for lighting? A common item is a Lutron Grafik Eye system.

HVAC is another consideration. You wont have much trouble keeping the room warm, especially with 6 or 7 people in there. But you may have an issue cooling it.

Just a couple of things to consider
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
HT is a cumulative hobby. What ever gear you have today is just a starter. I would put in the biggest rack that you can fit. At first you can just use the excess space for some DVD shelves.

PROJECTS:

post #11 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

HT is a cumulative hobby. What ever gear you have today is just a starter. I would put in the biggest rack that you can fit. At first you can just use the excess space for some DVD shelves.

I agree. What is a good width to make the rough frame. How wide did you make yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifers_ghost
Dude, you arent alone. I've picked up so much information from these forums, its unreal. In 8 months, Im light years ahead of where I was back then .. and Im still learning new things every day ... and most people on here are.

Things to consider (some based on budget):

For your AV receiver: 5.1 or 7.1? Consider your speakers as well. There are two schools of thought: better amp and lesser speakers or lesser amp with better speakers. I tend to lean more to the better speakers but others may not.

Do you already HAVE an xbox? Or going to buy one? If so, might want to consider a PS3? Built in blu ray AND gaming console.

Consider some sort of power conditioner / UPS unit.

What are you going to do for lighting? A common item is a Lutron Grafik Eye system.

HVAC is another consideration. You wont have much trouble keeping the room warm, especially with 6 or 7 people in there. But you may have an issue cooling it.

Just a couple of things to consider

Thanks for the info.

Is this wired just like normal lights?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page