post #901 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

That connection is straight in. There is a strip gauge on the right hand side of the picture. Strip the wire to that length and put in straight in and tighten. You are using 12 gauge (yellow romex) wire, correct?

Thanks, TMcG. I thought that might be how it works. Even though it will be clamped under the plate, it doesn't seem as secure as the looped method. What's the reasoning behind it? Speed of installation?

Yes, I'm using 12 gauge wire (which isn't very much fun in crowded boxes).

Spaceman Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I agree, but once you tighten it I'd bet you $10 you would have trouble ripping it out with great force. Yes, speed of installation always seems to be a factor in the design. I guess if I was an electrician and I was confident the connection was secure, I would consider buying "the fastest" if I had to do it all day long.

If you strip back the wire the recommended amount and fully insert it in the back, I believe part of the remaining jacket will catch the edge of the clamp for even greater connection strength. It's been a while since I used one of those, so I forget if that's the case or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #903 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The wire goes between the plate and the receptacle. Use the strip gauge to expose the correct amount of copper.

Tim

edit: oops didn't see there was a page 31 smile.gif

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #904 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ok thought it was just me lol. It's not real bothering but if black velvet can take care of it what the heck ill do it
post #905 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking awesome. I just used the redmere Monoprice cable for my projector, 50 or 60 foot run, seems to work well.
What is the screen size diagonal and width, and the viewing distance to the first row. Make sure you pot about your insteon devices as well. Thanks.
E

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #906 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichoya View Post

Looking awesome. I just used the redmere Monoprice cable for my projector, 50 or 60 foot run, seems to work well.
What is the screen size diagonal and width, and the viewing distance to the first row. Make sure you pot about your insteon devices as well. Thanks.
E

Thanks for stopping by, Eric. Hopefully, my RedMere cable will get here by the end of the week so I can hook the projector back up. I moved the receiver & blu-ray into the equipment closet tonight, so I currently can't reach the pj with any cables.

My 2.35 screen is 115" wide, which I think translates to 125" diagonal. Viewing distance from the front row is 9'-6'".

I hope to start installing some of the Insteon gear later in the week and will be sure to post more detailed info then.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #907 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Spaceman,

Do you explain anywhere why you went 4" on the backwall? Do you have any references explaining this?

post #908 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

Spaceman,
Do you explain anywhere why you went 4" on the backwall? Do you have any references explaining this?

Well, I can tell you it isn't based on actual room testing or even a room-specific acoustic study. It was simply a treatment program that kept popping up in numerous builds so it quickly found a way into mine. My understanding is that the extra thickness helps with the lower frequencies while the FSK facing keeps the room from becoming too dead by reflecting the high frequencies. My side walls have lots of absorption, so the FSK on the back wall helps balance that. There are other variations that introduce different thicknesses with an air gap, but I decided to use the 4" thickness with the FSK facing. Hope that helps.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #909 of 1237 Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Everything is looking great Spaceman!

I just watched "The Fellowship of the Ring" last night, but seeing it on your screen is making me very jealous. smile.gif

At this rate you'll be watching movies on Christmas!

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #910 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I went with the Redmere cables from Monoprice too. Tested the 35 footer with the pj, and it worked great. Should be perfect for your longer run.

post #911 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Everything is looking great Spaceman!
I just watched "The Fellowship of the Ring" last night, but seeing it on your screen is making me very jealous. smile.gif
At this rate you'll be watching movies on Christmas!

Thanks, Austin. I'd like to have the room functional by Christmas (maybe with a missing panel or two). As a temporary setup for the equipment, I stuffed a portion of an old oak entertainment center into the closet. It holds what I need for now and makes things somewhat presentable until I build the swinging fabric panel for that column and a set of permanent shelves inside the column/closet. Although, once I have the fabric panel up on the column, it will be quite tempting to just paint the oak unit black and call it a day. It just doesn't breathe as well as open-backed shelves. I'd have to do some ventilation surgery.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #912 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
Forgot to ask the screen brand. I know this was posted earlier in the thread but I could not find it. The picture looks fantastic.
Thanks,
Eric

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #913 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Eric - The screen is from SeymourAV (115" wide 2.35).

Spaceman Theater Build

post #914 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The space is coming along nicely! I'm sure you can't wait to be finish (soon, right)? Btw, I like your choice of the color for the HT! wink.gif

~ Gary

)

post #915 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Landshark. I'm getting close. Major milestone today...all outlets in the room are fully operational so the extension cord is being retired. I still have the Insteon switches to hook up, so I still have a work light in the room, but having working outlets is a step in the right direction.

Trying to get it presentable/functional by Christmas/New Years. It won't be 100%, but at least we can enjoy a movie or two with the family.

A question for the general audience:
I am still waiting for my 35' HDMI cable, so the projector is currently out of order. However, I popped in The Dark Knight this morning to test out the subwoofer. I had a single HDMI cable running from the Blu-ray player to the Blu-ray HDMI input on the receiver, but I could not get any audio. Only after running an audio composite cable was I able to get an audio signal. I'm assuming there is some HDMI setting I need to look at in the receiver audio setup, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. It's a Denon 4311.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #916 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Thanks, Landshark. I'm getting close. Major milestone today...all outlets in the room are fully operational so the extension cord is being retired. I still have the Insteon switches to hook up, so I still have a work light in the room, but having working outlets is a step in the right direction.
Trying to get it presentable/functional by Christmas/New Years. It won't be 100%, but at least we can enjoy a movie or two with the family.
A question for the general audience:
I am still waiting for my 35' HDMI cable, so the projector is currently out of order. However, I popped in The Dark Knight this morning to test out the subwoofer. I had a single HDMI cable running from the Blu-ray player to the Blu-ray HDMI input on the receiver, but I could not get any audio. Only after running an audio composite cable was I able to get an audio signal. I'm assuming there is some HDMI setting I need to look at in the receiver audio setup, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. It's a Denon 4311.

Could be a BluRay player settings as well...maybe the ouput is not set to HDMI.

I can't help you on the Denon..sure others will chime in.

post #917 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Actually, that sounds like a setup issue with the Bluray player to me as that receiver should be defaulted to receive streaming digital audio over HDMI. So try the menu structure in the Bluray first to make sure you are getting the full 7.1 lossless audio and not just the included HDMI stereo audio channel. If your receiver doesn't lock on, then you'll have to get into the global setup menu for the receiver and then verify the individual setup menu for the bluray input.

And I know this might sound crazy, but for the elimination of doubt I would look toward the menu for the bluray input on the receiver and confirm it is looking for the HDMI audio signal on the same input where you have your HDMI wire plugged in.

Beyond that I would suggest checking the firmware on both devices for any updates. Let me know how you make out.

post #918 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Yeah, check the BD player settings, but it may also be a weird behavior if you don't have any display connected. If you have a little TV with HDMI you can bring into the room to attach to the receiver, it may "suddenly work", too. When I was getting my setup working, I brought a 19" LCD into the room to connect to the stack - helped a lot with setup regardless of the state of the projector.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #919 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if it might be because I don't have a display connected. Unfortunately, the smallest thing I have with an HDMI connection is a 42" plasma, so I will probably have to wait until the projector is up and running again to check that and to navigate the Blu-ray menus. I plan on getting a small display to put with the equipment anyway. Might have to push that up the priority list.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #920 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM

You can just walk your Bluray and HDMI cable to the 42" plasma to check the Bluray's menu structure OR any cheap, small display with composite input could be used to navigate the menu structures of either the bluray or the receiver quite easily. I don't think you have to have a display device connected to the setup for the Bluray lossless stream to be output and locked on to the receiver's input. All that should happen when any other HDMI device comes online is a quick HDCP "handshake" which will probably blank your screen and audio for a few seconds before returning. Something to try if you are looking to troubleshoot in your downtime.

post #921 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tested the Blu-ray on the 42" plasma. HDMI audio output is turned on and I get Blu-ray audio from the tv so it is most likely a receiver setting. I don't really want to disconnect everything from the back of the receiver to haul it downstairs to the plasma, so further troubleshooting will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Next up...Insteon switches and dimmers.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #922 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm space it's got to be a setting in receiver. Does your receiver have a front hdmi as well? You could always try that just for shits and giggles to see if it works.

Also does anyone know a way I can control my recess lighting from my seat besides getting a big expensive unit like control 4 or similar ?
post #923 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Also does anyone know a way I can control my recess lighting from my seat besides getting a big expensive unit like control 4 or similar ?

Switch within line of sight? Lutron Maestro IR dimmer.

Not in line of sight? Insteon dimmer and any number of controls.

And lots more choices over $100...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #924 of 1237 Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Within line of sight. They have these at Home Depot ill check them out. Thanks
post #925 of 1237 Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Hmmm space it's got to be a setting in receiver. Does your receiver have a front hdmi as well? You could always try that just for shits and giggles to see if it works.

I recommend Lutron RadioRa2. But if all you want to do is one set of lights, at the same time, and don't mind using IR to point at it, then a $30 Lutron Maestro and a programmable remote (or theirs) will do.

post #926 of 1237 Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Spaceman,
I've been following your build along for a while and I must say you have done a hell of a job on this room. I have one question for you though. Are you planning on getting a separate amplifier? I can assure you it's worth the investment. I suggest this to everyone that has such a quality room like yourself. Once I made the leap to separates I never looked back.

post #927 of 1237 Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, JVoth. My bank account and I currently have no plans for a dedicated amp. Not to say that the upgrade bug won't get me (the Emotiva amps sure are sexy), but I'm quite happy with the audio I'm getting now and I haven't even done any calibration. Maybe down the road.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #928 of 1237 Old 12-20-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks David. Hope to have finished pics after the holidays.

I moved my seats into the room this morning. Quite a transformation. I think they look good, but the room got small pretty fast. I have my can lights disconnected, so the awful lighting in these pics comes courtesy of the halogen work light. Oh, and Is it too late to put a wide-angle lens on my Christmas list??

The back row looks like it's right against the wall, but there is actually 15" from the wall to the back of the headrest when not reclined and 11" when fully reclined. Still a bit close, but it's all I had to work with.

I'm a little concerned with the gap between the end seats and the riser steps. Just big enough to twist an ankle.

And those with keen eyes will notice I have the Blu-ray HDMI plugged into the auxiliary HDMI input jack on the front of the receiver and am successfully getting audio. So I'm guessing the HDMI input labeled for Blu-ray use somehow has it's audio set at something other than HDMI. I will be investigating that when I gather up enough courage to jump into the receiver's sub-menus.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #929 of 1237 Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Have you sat in the back row and how is it with the sub that close?

post #930 of 1237 Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did sit in the back row for a bit and it seemed just fine to me. Maybe a tad boomier than the front row, but not bad. The back seats certainly rumble more than the front row, so I guess I don't need to order any butt kickers.smile.gif

I think I prefer the back row for bass, but the surround experience is better in the first row (not ideal, but better). I learned a little too late about proper placement for side surround dipoles. I positioned mine slightly behind the front row, which I know now is a better location for direct radiators. My sides should have been placed directly beside the front row. I'm not too far off when reclined, but I'm sure it would have sounded better with better planning.

Spaceman Theater Build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page