Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 1245 Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Recent progress includes installing (11) can lights around the perimeter of the room, relocating (4) hvac supplies to the soffit and running some of the conduit.

I have a few locations where the conduit can only enter the low voltage bracket from the back instead of from the top or bottom. I added some 2x4 blocking behind the box with a 1 1/2" hole

I had hoped to use one of these to secure the conduit to the back of the blocking

Unfortunately, this isn't a common fitting carried by the big box stores and I didn't feel like tracking them down through an electrical supply house, so I came up with the following:

-(1) Carlon 3/4" ENT male adapter (blue fitting) (same fitting used to connect to the top or bottom of the low voltage bracket)
-(1) Lasco 3/4" SCH40 riser extender (white fitting)
-(2) 1" to 3/4" reducing washers
-(1) 3/4" conduit locknut
-2 1/2"x2 1/2"x1/2" plywood spacer with 1 1/2" hole

Attached the 3/4" male adapter to the end of the conduit

Loosely placed one of the reducing washers over the threads of the 3/4" male adapter

Screwed the white riser extender onto the male adapter, sandwiching the washer in between the two fittings

Inserted end of conduit through the back of the 2x4 blocking until the reducing washer was snug with the back of the blocking

The threads on the white riser extender were too far past the face of the 2x4 to get a snug fit, so I had to create a wooden spacer out of 1/2" plywood.

The wooden spacer and a second reducing washer get slipped over the end of the white riser extender

and secured with the 3/4" locknut

Nice and snug

Kudos to my 6 and 10 year olds, who managed to entertain themselves in the conduit/fittings aisle while I figured all of this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1245 Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More progress......

6 boxes set for rope lighting. These will be hidden behind the light tray.

Right wall with 3 can lights and 2 hvac supply registers. Lights are centered between the columns and will wash the wall. HVAC registers are centered over the columns.

Left wall with 3 can lights and 2 hvac supply registers, including some 1 1/2" conduit coming into the back of the equipment closet. One run will go under the riser to a keystone wall plate. The other goes to a keystone wall plate in the back corner of the room. I need to pick up a few more couplers to complete these conduit runs. All of the other conduit goes up into the attic to a custom pull box/chase, where all wire will be bundled and run to the equipment closet through a single (or perhaps double) 2" conduit.

Rear wall with conduit runs to rear surrounds and sub. Also have 2 can lights up in the soffit. I would like to place my HVAC return in the bottom of the soffit between the two lights, but this is where I had planned to mount the projector. Sliding the projector forward and running a pole off the next tier of the ceiling is an option but I think people will be banging their heads as they stand up from the rear seats. This area is sort of a head-scratcher at the moment. I'd like to get the return somewhere in this vicinity so it can help pull hot air away from the projector but I'm having a hard time finding a home for it.

Front wall with conduit to LCRs. Also installed the 3 can lights over the screen. These will get the eyeball trim while the other cans get standard trim.
post #93 of 1245 Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm getting ready to start wiring my recessed lighting. I'll have 3 zones for the following areas:
-2 lights in the rear soffit
-6 cans in the left and right soffits (3 cans/side)
-3 cans over the screen

I was originally going to daisy chain the lights in each zone together, using the push-type connectors that came with the housings. Then I started to wonder if pigtailing would be better (so if something happened with one light, the others would still work). Now I'm wondering if it's really worth the extra time to pigtail since I have so few lights on each zone? I should be able to quickly diagnose a problem if a zone with only two lights goes out. Of course, it might be fairly quick to pigtail a zone with only two lights. Thoughts?

EDIT: Should I take any preventive measures to keep the wire connections from rattling around in the box during heavy bass scenes or is this really not a concern?
post #94 of 1245 Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've finished running wire to my lights and am starting runs to the outlets. I have two runs that will ultimately go under my riser, one that will be switched for the step lights and another unswitched run for the riser outlets. I installed 1 1/2" conduit that starts in the attic and elbows through the side wall of the theater into the area that will be under the riser. The plan was to pull the 2 romex wires through this conduit once drywall was up, but I am a little confused as to whether romex can even be run through conduit.

Depending on the source, I've read conflicting reports on whether it is allowed in interior applications. Most say that THHN wire needs to be used within conduit due to heat issues. Can someone who is familiar with the code clarify this for me?
post #95 of 1245 Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why run romex through the conduit? I would run all the wiring I can outside of the conduit and use the conduit for future runs. If you know there is a wire you are going to need go ahead and run that through the walls - The conduit is for the wires you don't realize you need and will run later. Its not really that easy running wire through conduit anyway especially the smurf tube flexible stuff - much easier to drill holes and pull the wiring. Stiff Romex would be especially hard to pull through the smurf tube.

You also do not need to worry about using the push connectors that come with the lights. The other lights can still work if something goes wrong with a light. The push connectors are the same as 'pigtailing' everything together. The wire connections should not rattle if they are stapled close to the box and you use a bushing on the hole punchout.

Your framing work looks very nice but it is still hard for me to get a vision of what the ceiling looks like - can't wait to see what it looks like with drywall up.
post #96 of 1245 Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Why run romex through the conduit? I would run all the wiring I can outside of the conduit and use the conduit for future runs. If you know there is a wire you are going to need go ahead and run that through the walls - The conduit is for the wires you don't realize you need and will run later. Its not really that easy running wire through conduit anyway especially the smurf tube flexible stuff - much easier to drill holes and pull the wiring. Stiff Romex would be especially hard to pull through the smurf tube.

The smurf tube is only for speaker and sub wire. It's not really necessary but for minimal cost, I felt more comfortable using it.

98% of the romex will be outside conduit with the exception of the run to and under the riser, which I was going to run through 1 1/2" Sch40 PVC conduit (not smurf tube). I just wasn't quite sure how to handle the pull into the riser area without conduit. If I was putting up the drywall myself, I would simply cut a small hole in the drywall and pull the wire through as the sheet is placed on the wall. I'm assuming that is how Morph and Big handled all of these wire drops at the Black Cat Theater

But I'm not doing the drywall myself, so I thought conduit would be the simplest way for both me and the drywall guys. Since there won't be a box or LV bracket on the wall for the drywall guys to trim to, I would have to ask them to pull the 4-5' of wire through the drywall as they install it. I thought 1) they wouldn't want to do this, 2) they would forget to do it, 3) they would do it in the wrong spot, hence the 1 1/2" conduit. Is there a better way?

I thought about eliminating the conduit and putting a 1 or 2-gang LV bracket at the location where the romex would come through the drywall. This would give them something to trim to and give me a backless box that would make it fairly easy to fish the wire out of the wall. Would this be better than conduit?
post #97 of 1245 Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Your framing work looks very nice but it is still hard for me to get a vision of what the ceiling looks like - can't wait to see what it looks like with drywall up.

Thanks. The goal is to have something like Jautor's ceiling.
post #98 of 1245 Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 365

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #99 of 1245 Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #100 of 1245 Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought I would check in one more time to see if a Sparky with knowledge of the code can weigh in on whether I can run (2) 12-2 romex cables inside a 1 1/2" Sch40 PVC conduit? I've read that THHN should be used instead of romex, at least for exterior applications but can't find a definitive answer for interior use.
post #101 of 1245 Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm just about done with insulation and will be getting drywall bids next week. I'm in the process of sourcing my acoustic treatments, based on the following plan:
-4" OC703 or equal on the back wall, full height
-1" Linacoustic on side walls, full height for front 25%, ear height for remaining 75%
-2" Linacoustic on front wall (2- 1" layers), full height
-2" OC703 stacked in corners

Before pulling the trigger on the Linacoustic for the front and side walls, I want to make sure that it will perform as well as OC703. I believe Linacoustic is only 1.5pcf, and it seems that most recommendations are to use material that is at least 3pcf. Is that correct?

Will there be a noticeable difference if my front wall has (2) 1" layers of Linacoustic vs. a single 2" layer of OC703? Would 1" OC703 be better on the side walls instead of 1" Linacoustic? The numbers seem very close in BobGolds absorption chart, assuming a double layer of 1" Linacoustic acts the same as a single 2" layer.

The Linacoustic is about half the price of OC703 or other rigid fiberglass panels, so it would be my preferred choice assuming the performance is about the same.
post #102 of 1245 Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally finished with the pink (and yellow) fluffy stuff. Getting drywall estimates today.

Apparently my auto-focus was turned off for these pics. My apologies.

Screen wall

Rear wall

Left wall with openings for equipment (left) and access door (right). Access door will be hidden behind removable panels.

Right wall with entry

Entry to media closet

Ceiling (facing rear wall)

Soffit at screen

Perimeter soffit

I've also starting tracking down my acoustic insulation. After contacting 15 different local suppliers plus numerous internet searches, I came up with the following:

Linacoustic or the equivalent has been all over the map, ranging from $877 on the high end to $146 on the low end.
-Linacoustic (100')-2.19/sf from a local supplier ($877)
-JM Insulshield-Black (100')-1.17/sf from a local supplier
-Linacoustic (25')-.96/sf before shipping from an online supplier
-Linacoustic (50')-.83/sf before shipping from an online supplier
-Linacoustic (100')-.55/sf from a local supplier
-Knauf Sonic XP (100')-.43/sf from a local supplier
-Certainteed CertaPro Acostablanket Black (100')-.43/sf from a local supplier
-Linacoustic (100')-.35/sf from a local supplier ($146....a $731 savings over the high quote).

Quotes for other acoustic material:
1" x 2' x 4' rigid fiberglass panel (unfaced)-$1.29-1.70/sf
2" x 2' x 4' rigid fiberglass panel (unfaced)-$1.70-2.19/sf
2" x 2' x 4' rigid fiberglass panel (faced)-$2.41-3.10/sf
4" x 2' x 4' rigid fiberglass panel (unfaced)-$3.42-4.61/sf

I'll share my drywall quotes as soon as they come in.
24Changer likes this.
post #103 of 1245 Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received the first drywall quote yesterday. The scope of work is split between the theater (80%) and an area in our kitchen that had a water leak (20%). It will take approximately 50 sheets for the whole job. The scope includes everything getting tape, mud and texture. The 20% outside the theater also gets painted while I will paint the theater. Quote is $5,500 (comes out to $110/sheet). I've asked him to requote it with no painting and also removing the texture on the theater walls since they will be covered by fabric. I don't expect that to be a major savings, but we'll see. I expected something in the $30-40/sheet range, not $110/sheet, so I don't think this guy will be getting my business.

I had a 2nd guy look at it as well and should have his quote tomorrow. I plan on getting a 3rd quote as well. Had hoped to get drywall done next week, but not for that amount of money. Shouldn't I be able to get 50 sheets (1600sf) up & textured for less than $2000? If the quotes are much higher than that, I might hang everything myself and pay someone to tape, mud & texture.
post #104 of 1245 Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This morning, I picked up what I thought was a roll of JM Linacoustic RC. It turns out to be JM Duct Liner PM. After reviewing the data sheets for both products, they appear very similar, with both having one side treated with a "durable glass mat facing", while the Linacoustic also has the Permacote acrylic coating over the glass mat facing. Absorption coefficients are very similar, with the biggest difference being at 125hz, where the PM is at .18 the RC is at .08.

Questions:
1. The surface coating on the PM is still black like the Linacoustic so I would still benefit from that. Is there a reason I would want/need the acrylic coating that is on the Linacoustic but not on the PM product?

2. The PM product really stinks, literally. Probably a combo of the binder and formaldehyde. Does the Linacoustic have a strong odor as well? If so, is there a way to air it out before hanging it on the walls (unrolling it in the driveway for an afternoon)?
post #105 of 1245 Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Does the Linacoustic have a strong odor as well? If so, is there a way to air it out before hanging it on the walls (unrolling it in the driveway for an afternoon)?

I have an unopened/partially opened roll of Linacoustic and haven't noticed a smell but I haven't unrolled it yet...

If I laid it out in the driveway then the squirrels would have it all in the trees in 2 hours!
post #106 of 1245 Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I received one of the drywall quotes yesterday. The scope of work is split between the theater (80%) and an area in our kitchen that had a water leak (20%). It will take approximately 50 sheets for the whole job. The scope includes everything getting tape, mud and texture. The 20% outside the theater also gets painted while I will paint the theater. Quote is $5,500 (comes out to $110/sheet). I've asked him to requote it with no painting and also removing the texture on the theater walls since they will be covered by fabric. I don't expect that to be a major savings, but we'll see. I expected something in the $30-40/sheet range, not $110/sheet, so I don't think this guy will be getting my business.

I had a 2nd guy look at it as well and should have his quote tomorrow. I plan on getting a 3rd quote as well. Had hoped to get drywall done next week, but not for that amount of money. Shouldn't I be able to get 50 sheets (1600sf) up & textured for less than $2000? If the quotes are much higher than that, I might hang everything myself and pay someone to tape, mud & texture.

sounds rather high on those quotes. $2000 should cover 1600sqft.

post #107 of 1245 Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2nd quote just came in at $2600, which translates to $52/sheet or $1.62/sf. Still seems a bit high. I'm getting a 3rd quote and will make a determination based on where those numbers come in.

Still hoping Duct Liner PM is an acceptable substitution for Linacoustic. Don't feel like fighting the suppliers no return policy on cash purchases. Of course, he was supposed to give me Linacoustic RC, so I guess I would have a valid reason for a return if necessary.
post #108 of 1245 Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Opted to go with our 3rd drywall estimate ($2100). They start tomorrow and will hang, tape, mud & texture. He thinks it will take 40-45 sheets, which puts him at $46-52/sheet, or $1.45-1.64/sf. Pretty much in line with my 2nd estimate, except the total sheet count is a little less.

I'll be glad to get drywall out of the way. I'm in a holding pattern and have lost about a week getting estimates. Next up...stage and riser construction.
post #109 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In addition to using 30 lb roofing felt between the 2 layers of stage/riser decking, should I also place a layer under the stage and riser (over the wood subfloor)? I'm assuming if the goal is to reduce wood to wood squeaks, this would be the way to go.
post #110 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In addition to using 30 lb roofing felt between the 2 layers of stage/riser decking, should I also place a layer under the stage and riser (over the wood subfloor)? I'm assuming if the goal is to reduce wood to wood squeaks, this would be the way to go.

I used 30lb roofing felt under my stage because it was in contact with the cement basement floor. If squeak reduction is your goal then I'd imagine that you'd want something different. I wonder if a bunch of liquid nails would do the job?
post #111 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I used 30lb roofing felt under my stage because it was in contact with the cement basement floor. If squeak reduction is your goal then I'd imagine that you'd want something different. I wonder if a bunch of liquid nails would do the job?

That would probably prevent squeaks, but I don't like the idea of having the riser permanently attached to the subfloor. Maybe I don't need to do anything. I just figured since many folks use the roofing felt between the 2 or 3 layers of riser decking (I always assumed to prevent/reduce squeaks), I could also use it between the stage and subfloor for the same reason. Overkill?
post #112 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would probably prevent squeaks, but I don't like the idea of having the riser permanently attached to the subfloor. Maybe I don't need to do anything. I just figured since many folks use the roofing felt between the 2 or 3 layers of riser decking (I always assumed to prevent/reduce squeaks), I could also use it between the stage and subfloor for the same reason. Overkill?

Check Jelloslug's Upstairs Theater thread. I think he had a stage on his second floor. He built a beautiful room that has been a reference for me.
post #113 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Liked: 10
I know it's a little late now, but I bet that Carpet padding you were asking about finding a use for would have made a great "Squeak break" between the floor and the bottom edge of the riser....Your room is looking good, I wish I had some ceiling height to work with.

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #114 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
15 pound roofing felt was what my hardwood flooring supplier recommended to prevent wood to wood squeaks when I laid my hardwood strip flooring. I doubt it's overkill, but it is really inexpensive. No squeaks.
post #115 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realred2 View Post

I know it's a little late now, but I bet that Carpet padding you were asking about finding a use for would have made a great "Squeak break" between the floor and the bottom edge of the riser....

Luckily for me, my garage looks like something straight from a Hoarders episode and my carpet pad is tucked safely in a corner (with 2 years worth of dust).

Quote:
Originally Posted by realred2 View Post

Your room is looking good, I wish I had some ceiling height to work with.

Thanks, it's coming together. I'm a little nervous about drywall (pics to follow).
post #116 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

15 pound roofing felt was what my hardwood flooring supplier recommended to prevent wood to wood squeaks when I laid my hardwood strip flooring. I doubt it's overkill, but it is really inexpensive. No squeaks.

Yeah, 30lb. is only $15 a roll. I could probably swing that.
post #117 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I'm having a small case of buyer remorse with my drywall guys. For once, I'm not really sweating the cost. Rather, it's my fear that the end product is going to look like crap.

I had 2 workers start at 8:30 today. When they left for lunch, I checked out their progress and was really surprised they weren't further along. They hung the bottom of the 8' soffit and just started the 9' soffit. After leaving for the day at 5pm, this is where we are at.

Facing screen wall

Facing back wall

Facing back wall

I'm not paying by the hour, so I'm not too concerned with the time, just more surprised. I would have expected 2 experienced guys to knock out more than this, even with all of the cutting around can lights, vents and conduit.

What has me worried is some of the workmanship. Almost every joint along the bottom of the soffit occurs between and not on a framing member. The drywall is secured along the edge of the soffit but not across the soffit at the joint. Even after taping, won't these joints eventually crack if they occur between framing members?

The trimming around some of the outlets and can lights looked pretty $hitty as well.

I realize mud, tape and corner bead can hide a lot, but I'm not too impressed with the quality here. Are my concerns justified where the seams aren't nailed/screwed to anything? The wall pieces will help support some of these ceiling joints, but it still bothers me. Is this pretty standard quality or do I need to have a talk with them when they return in the morning?
post #118 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm certainly no drywall expert, but I was taught that joints always fell on a framing member. Maybe there's some trick to having a major joint not on a framing piece, but I can't think of what that would be. Also, maybe it's a location thing, but I haven't seen drywall nailed in a long time. Only screwed around here AFAIK. Almost looks like a combination of the two...

That being said, they are doing this for a living (I assume), so they should know what they are doing. Absolutely no harm in asking them questions though. And I would definitely hang on the that final payment until you are satisfied with the work.
post #119 of 1245 Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Also, maybe it's a location thing, but I haven't seen drywall nailed in a long time. Only screwed around here AFAIK. ... And I would definitely hang on the that final payment until you are satisfied with the work.

Wow, I didn't even notice that those were nails until you mentioned it. I was wondering how the big indentations were caused around the fasteners... now I know.

I'm not a drywall expert either but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things. Maybe these two people are outstanding mud/tapers and you'll never know what's underneath?

The box cutouts seem WAY too big and crooked though. I'd be worried about finding trim rings and plates to cover those.

I'm wondering about the seam being in free air. I did some of my soffit drywall joints like that and now I'm a little worried!
post #120 of 1245 Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll ask them about the joints. They just don't look right to me, but like you said, maybe this is how they do them all the time.

They are using a combination of nails and screws, but certainly not in a predetermined fashion. It's very random. I've read that the ceiling should be screwed and it's common for walls to get a perimeter of nails and a field of screws. In my case, most of the ceiling is all nails with a few screws here and there. Some sheets are all nails. Most of the vertical soffit sheets are perimeter nails and a field of screws, but that's not always the case. I just get nervous when it looks like something I would do instead of what I pictured a professional would do.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page