post #1231 of 1236 Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I'm happy with my Insteon setup. It's the only brand I've used for automation, so I can't really comment on other systems. I would still do it the same way, but would probably add the Insteon Hub so I could also control them from a tablet. It's not necessary because I do have control via my universal remote, but it's pretty cool (and relatively cheap).
I am also happy with Insteon... We have replaced almost every switch in our house now with Insteon, and we use the ISY994i for programming in addition to CQC Software. It is nice having 2 ways to control everything.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1236 Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Space, I have been using your entire thread as a guide and must say it has been an excellent tutorial. Thanks for all the time and effort to post it all.

Quick question since you guys are on the topic of the Insteon. I'm reading the install instructions and trying to prepare for next month when I purchase it and comparing to your pics. Is the wiring as easy as one wire from the keypad to one switch and then a jumper to each or am I missing something? I don't see four additional runs coming out of the keypad to each switch so just want to make sure I am not crazy. smile.gif

Thanks for any help and glad to hear that you are really enjoying the fruits of your labor!
post #1233 of 1236 Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The keypad does not have a physical connection to the switches you control other than maybe if you are jumpering the power from switch to switch. It is wireless control. The keypad and each Insteon switch could be on different circuits and you would still have control once the switches are linked to the keypad.
post #1234 of 1236 Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
:face palm: thanks vanice. tongue.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1235 of 1236 Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
The front wall looked a little naked with linacoustic but no speakers, so I made that my priority this weekend. I have very little room behind my AT screen, so I'm using in-wall speakers (Atlantic Technology IWCB-727 THX Select closed box). Rather than cut a hole in the drywall and recess the speakers 2" into the linacoustic, I built 3 simple speaker boxes that attached directly to the drywall.

Hi Spaceman, this is one of your many good ideas I am planning to use in my theater. Question on the L& R front speakers... Did you consider at all 'toeing' them in? I have seen posts about one downside of in-wall speakers is they 'face straight forward'.

My thought was if I made the left side of the left speaker with say a 2x4 & a 1/2" plywood strip attached between it & the wall, and the right side with just a 2x4, then this would 'angle' the speaker in towards the center a little bit. (doing effectively the same with the right)

Just curious if you had thought about that and discarded it, didn't think it was needed, etc. My theater may be a little wider, with my L&R speakers being 10-11' apart, so that might be a slight difference.

Thanks,

Kevin
post #1236 of 1236 Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hey Kevin-I did consider toeing them in, but wasn't really sure how much of an adjustment would be necessary so I decided to keep it simple. Like you, I thought about making the "outside" edge a little deeper. I also thought about constructing the "box" so it "floated" free of the wall and pivoted on a central dowel, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth, at least for my narrow room.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page