Spaceman Theater build - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #1261 of 1283 Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
To echo the feelings of many, many others Spaceman, I'd like to say a BIG thank you for such an incredible build thread. This thread is so good it should almost be made a sticky on the forum. For a beginner like me, it was a gold mine of information - just incredibly detailed and well written! And congrats on the beautiful theatre! Mine will be more modest in ambition, but I actually feel ready to tackle most of the project after your thread helped consolidate many of the concepts I've encountered on various other threads.

I did wonder about one thing, though. As far as I could tell, you never discussed whether you've made any masking system or panels for 16:9 viewing. Is this something you've tackled, or have you found that 16:9 viewing without masking isn't enough of a problem to warrant the effort of masking? Or did you purchase your screen with Seymour's masking panels?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, since almost everything you've done seems to have been very well thought out, and also very pragmatic and cost-effective
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1283 Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattowpe View Post
To echo the feelings of many, many others Spaceman, I'd like to say a BIG thank you for such an incredible build thread. This thread is so good it should almost be made a sticky on the forum. For a beginner like me, it was a gold mine of information - just incredibly detailed and well written! And congrats on the beautiful theatre! Mine will be more modest in ambition, but I actually feel ready to tackle most of the project after your thread helped consolidate many of the concepts I've encountered on various other threads.

I did wonder about one thing, though. As far as I could tell, you never discussed whether you've made any masking system or panels for 16:9 viewing. Is this something you've tackled, or have you found that 16:9 viewing without masking isn't enough of a problem to warrant the effort of masking? Or did you purchase your screen with Seymour's masking panels?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, since almost everything you've done seems to have been very well thought out, and also very pragmatic and cost-effective
I don't find the vertical bars to be distracting during 16:9 content, so I have not incorporated any type of masking system. Still very happy with it. I believe you can order a Seymour screen with integrated magnets and later order the panels if you decide you need/want them. Good luck with your build. Glad you found some of mine to be useful.
post #1263 of 1283 Old 07-08-2015, 01:11 PM

Perfect, thanks for the info! There's a good chance I won't be bothered by the black bars either, but I won't know til I get to that stage. Getting a frame with magnets installed just in case sounds like a perfect option for me.

post #1264 of 1283 Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattowpe View Post
Perfect, thanks for the info! There's a good chance I won't be bothered by the black bars either, but I won't know til I get to that stage.
You probably won't be bothered, until you use a mask - then it will drive you nuts if you don't have one... At least, that's how it works for me.

Quote:
Getting a frame with magnets installed just in case sounds like a perfect option for me.
Yeah, that's an excellent option to give yourself a good path...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #1265 of 1283 Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You probably won't be bothered, until you use a mask - then it will drive you nuts if you don't have one... At least, that's how it works for me.
Yeah, I know what you mean... a similar thing has happened to me with browsing avsforum in general. Before I discovered this place I was planning on doing a very basic upgrade of my current builder-grade HT (I was just going to paint the walls and ceiling dark, get some dark carpeting, and a bigger screen and better projector). But now I won't be able to rest until my room's got an AT screen, soffits and rope lighting, automated lighting, etc!
post #1266 of 1283 Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Thought I would give this thread a Bump since it was one of my favorites and I took several ideas from it... others who might not dig back into the 'older' posts might not see it, and I think it is a good one!
RusticR6 likes this.
post #1267 of 1283 Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Terrific theater, Spaceman!

Question: While watching with lights 100% off, do you get any screen reflection off the side walls?
post #1268 of 1283 Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK08 View Post
Terrific theater, Spaceman!

Question: While watching with lights 100% off, do you get any screen reflection off the side walls?
Thanks, PK08. I don't experience any distracting reflections during viewing. The walls are visible during bright scenes, but with surfaces being either fabric or matte finish paint, there really aren't any reflections that impact image quality, at least to the naked eye.
post #1269 of 1283 Old 11-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This theater is so nice and very similar to what I plan on doing with mine. It's a shame so many of the construction pic's won't load.
post #1270 of 1283 Old 11-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
This theater is so nice and very similar to what I plan on doing with mine. It's a shame so many of the construction pic's won't load.
It's a temporary Photobucket issue (down for maintenance).

Very nice room for sure.
post #1271 of 1283 Old 11-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
It's a temporary Photobucket issue (down for maintenance).

Very nice room for sure.
That is good to know!
post #1272 of 1283 Old 11-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just wanted to stop by and say that your build is amazing!! I just started planning my theater and have posted my build and planning thread. If you don't mind, I would like to borrow some of your ideas and plans. Do you have anything that you would do differently if you were to do it again?
post #1273 of 1283 Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm finally getting around to updating the game room immediately outside the theater. I'm wrapping the room with a chair rail and I'll be doing a 2-tone color scheme (Oatbran above the rail, Ivory Brown below). As you will see below, the wall with windows would get a little busy with chair rail and 2 colors, so that wall will simply get the lighter Oatbran color floor to ceiling. The ocd in me is having trouble with the lack of symmetry on the window wall and I'd like your thoughts.

Shared wall with theater

Another view of the shared wall with theater. The 2' wide by 1' deep bump out between the windows hides some duct work, and is the elephant in the room when it comes to symmetry on that wall.

It's not hideous, but the bump out does seem a little out of place, especially without a similar treatment to the right of the windows..

Part of me wants to frame a similar bump out to the right of the 3 windows, in the corner of the room. I could then continue the chair rail off that right wall and around the new bump out, similar to what I've done to the left of the windows. The bump out would get the 2-tone color scheme just like the rest of the room, and the inset area containing the 3 windows would be solid color, floor to ceiling. Without the added bump out, I would terminate the chair rail in the corner and not wrap it over to the windows, which I think would look kind of funny, like I forgot a 3' section of chair rail.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Does it help hide some of the awkwardness or draw more attention to it? I can see at some point in the future maybe building a window seat between the two bump outs. Thoughts/opinions?

This one isn't drawn quite right. In reality, it would be a little wider than deep, like the drawing above.

Last edited by Spaceman; 01-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #1274 of 1283 Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 125
framing, DW, mud, sanding, dust!

Build the bump out, you will be glad you did.
As far as painting the window wall, I would make it all one color, either top color or the bottom color; I think the contrast will look good.
And I like the window seat idea.

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #1275 of 1283 Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 442
+1 for the column and window seating.

I would be tempted to not terminate the chair rail at the window wall. I would wrap it around and finish the edge
with a 45 degree cut and return to the wall, right by the edge of the window. Then carry the two color scheme right
across the window wall.
post #1276 of 1283 Old 01-12-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
I think either way would be fine but my OCD tendencies would lean toward building the other bump out. However, you may consider making it a functional bump out with a shelving niche built into the side to hold books, pictures and knick knacks. Maybe even sconce lighting on both sides for reading light.

Oops....project just got bigger!
post #1277 of 1283 Old 01-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I've followed your theater for a long time, it's one of if not my favorite I've seen on AVS.

Since I've enjoyed your thread so much, I thought I'd give my worthless 2 cents and say I agree on building out the other bump out.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #1278 of 1283 Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I think either way would be fine but my OCD tendencies would lean toward building the other bump out. However, you may consider making it a functional bump out with a shelving niche built into the side to hold books, pictures and knick knacks. Maybe even sconce lighting on both sides for reading light.

Oops....project just got bigger!
Funny... as soon as I saw the bump out drawing, I thought "man, I hate to waste that space, surely something could be done"... But I did like the look of the bump out, so, I would have preferred 'waste' the space vs not have the bump out... but love the idea of making it functional!
post #1279 of 1283 Old 01-30-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeGuy View Post
I just wanted to stop by and say that your build is amazing!! I just started planning my theater and have posted my build and planning thread. If you don't mind, I would like to borrow some of your ideas and plans. Do you have anything that you would do differently if you were to do it again?
Sorry I missed your post, RyeGuy. I don't think I'd do much differently. A few things that come to mind:

1. Make the riser steps deeper (almost the full depth of the front row chairs instead of 12-14" deep)
2. I have can lights in my side soffits. The one on each side that sits closest to the screen wall should have gone on the screen wall switch rather than the side wall switch. I like to have the side wall soffit lights on at times, but the one closest to the screen washes out the screen. I still have the bulbs in there, but they are unscrewed a bit so they don't come on when the others do.
3. I would have preferred one more HVAC return in the room. Just couldn't make it work. It works ok the way it is, but 2 would probably be better.
4. If I had more in the budget, I would have looked into providing dedicated temperature control to just the theater room. Right now, it's controlled with the rest of the 2nd floor, so it's not ideal. OK, but not ideal.
5. I wish I would have spent a little more time getting the ceiling color right, but after painting it twice, I wasn't about to do it a third time. It's rarely bright enough in the room to tell, but it still bugs me a little.

For our viewing habits, I'm ok with not having invested in soundproofing. I've never done any professional readings, but the app on my phone reads between 15-18dB with equipment and lights off. That's good enough for me. I'm also really happy I used conduit. I've had to replace the HDMI to the projector once and had to pull it out a second time for some troubleshooting, and could not have done that without conduit.
post #1280 of 1283 Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to repost the pics hosted by photobucket? Great thread. Love the detail.
post #1281 of 1283 Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
Is there any way to repost the pics hosted by photobucket? Great thread. Love the detail.
Yes, but I'm afraid to think about how long it will take to redo all 43 pages of the thread. It's on my to-do list, but I'll be honest and say it's towards the bottom at the moment.

Has anyone else rebuilt their build thread yet? How painful was it?

Last edited by Spaceman; 10-17-2017 at 07:03 PM.
post #1282 of 1283 Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Yes, but I'm afraid to think about how long it will take to redo all 43 pages of the thread. It's on my to-do list, but I'll be honest and say it's towards the bottom at the moment.

LOL! Nice timing - I just spent 3 hours finishing mine and bumped my thread a minute ago!

It was tedious, probably 4-5 hours total work for my thread. I used Google Photos to house everything - luckily I had saved all my AVS thread photos in a folder, so I didn't have to mess with trying to get the Photobucket download POS thing to work.

Bulk upload to Google Photos, then used a script here:

https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/?_ga...067.1508286132

To generate direct links for embedding. Works!

I was just thinking about you - since you've got a lot of quotes in my thread!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #1283 of 1283 Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Thanks for responding. I’m particularly interested in the false wall and the soffit framing pics. If you get a chance to update those, would be greatly appreciated! Again, excellent work here. Threads like this are what make this community so valuable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page