Originally Posted by RyeGuy
I just wanted to stop by and say that your build is amazing!! I just started planning my theater and have posted my build and planning thread. If you don't mind, I would like to borrow some of your ideas and plans. Do you have anything that you would do differently if you were to do it again?
Sorry I missed your post, RyeGuy. I don't think I'd do much differently. A few things that come to mind:
1. Make the riser steps deeper (almost the full depth of the front row chairs instead of 12-14" deep)
2. I have can lights in my side soffits. The one on each side that sits closest to the screen wall should have gone on the screen wall switch rather than the side wall switch. I like to have the side wall soffit lights on at times, but the one closest to the screen washes out the screen. I still have the bulbs in there, but they are unscrewed a bit so they don't come on when the others do.
3. I would have preferred one more HVAC return in the room. Just couldn't make it work. It works ok the way it is, but 2 would probably be better.
4. If I had more in the budget, I would have looked into providing dedicated temperature control to just the theater room. Right now, it's controlled with the rest of the 2nd floor, so it's not ideal. OK, but not ideal.
5. I wish I would have spent a little more time getting the ceiling color right, but after painting it twice, I wasn't about to do it a third time. It's rarely bright enough in the room to tell, but it still bugs me a little.
For our viewing habits, I'm ok with not having invested in soundproofing. I've never done any professional readings, but the app on my phone reads between 15-18dB with equipment and lights off. That's good enough for me. I'm also really happy I used conduit. I've had to replace the HDMI to the projector once and had to pull it out a second time for some troubleshooting, and could not have done that without conduit.