Spaceman Theater build - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To echo the feelings of many, many others Spaceman, I'd like to say a BIG thank you for such an incredible build thread. This thread is so good it should almost be made a sticky on the forum. For a beginner like me, it was a gold mine of information - just incredibly detailed and well written! And congrats on the beautiful theatre! Mine will be more modest in ambition, but I actually feel ready to tackle most of the project after your thread helped consolidate many of the concepts I've encountered on various other threads.

I did wonder about one thing, though. As far as I could tell, you never discussed whether you've made any masking system or panels for 16:9 viewing. Is this something you've tackled, or have you found that 16:9 viewing without masking isn't enough of a problem to warrant the effort of masking? Or did you purchase your screen with Seymour's masking panels?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, since almost everything you've done seems to have been very well thought out, and also very pragmatic and cost-effective
mattowpe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 2,005
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattowpe View Post
To echo the feelings of many, many others Spaceman, I'd like to say a BIG thank you for such an incredible build thread. This thread is so good it should almost be made a sticky on the forum. For a beginner like me, it was a gold mine of information - just incredibly detailed and well written! And congrats on the beautiful theatre! Mine will be more modest in ambition, but I actually feel ready to tackle most of the project after your thread helped consolidate many of the concepts I've encountered on various other threads.

I did wonder about one thing, though. As far as I could tell, you never discussed whether you've made any masking system or panels for 16:9 viewing. Is this something you've tackled, or have you found that 16:9 viewing without masking isn't enough of a problem to warrant the effort of masking? Or did you purchase your screen with Seymour's masking panels?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, since almost everything you've done seems to have been very well thought out, and also very pragmatic and cost-effective
I don't find the vertical bars to be distracting during 16:9 content, so I have not incorporated any type of masking system. Still very happy with it. I believe you can order a Seymour screen with integrated magnets and later order the panels if you decide you need/want them. Good luck with your build. Glad you found some of mine to be useful.
Spaceman is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Perfect, thanks for the info! There's a good chance I won't be bothered by the black bars either, but I won't know til I get to that stage. Getting a frame with magnets installed just in case sounds like a perfect option for me.
mattowpe is online now  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 9,176
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattowpe View Post
Perfect, thanks for the info! There's a good chance I won't be bothered by the black bars either, but I won't know til I get to that stage.
You probably won't be bothered, until you use a mask - then it will drive you nuts if you don't have one... At least, that's how it works for me.

Quote:
Getting a frame with magnets installed just in case sounds like a perfect option for me.
Yeah, that's an excellent option to give yourself a good path...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You probably won't be bothered, until you use a mask - then it will drive you nuts if you don't have one... At least, that's how it works for me.
Yeah, I know what you mean... a similar thing has happened to me with browsing avsforum in general. Before I discovered this place I was planning on doing a very basic upgrade of my current builder-grade HT (I was just going to paint the walls and ceiling dark, get some dark carpeting, and a bigger screen and better projector). But now I won't be able to rest until my room's got an AT screen, soffits and rope lighting, automated lighting, etc!
mattowpe is online now  
 

Tags
Speaker Systems , Displays
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off