Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 1237 Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just stopped by to see if you started the fabric panels yet? I was curious to see the different colors and shapes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1237 Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

Just stopped by to see if you started the fabric panels yet? I was curious to see the different colors and shapes.

Thanks for stopping by, Greg. I'll be starting my corner bass traps and front wall linacoustic this weekend. After that, I'll start figuring out my panel layout/color scheme.

This was my layout 2 years ago. Since then, I've flipped the theater, decided against a blue color scheme, will be hanging the posters outside the room, and am looking to go with larger panels.

Below is the current layout (large rectangular panels), but I haven't settled on a color scheme. Leaning towards black fabric columns and beige, rust, or chocolate panels, similar to Brad's theater.

I'm going to take this layout one step further and see what it will look like with simple baseboard and crown. I'll already have some trim on the coffered ceiling to hold the rope lights, so I'd like to see what a little trim on the walls will look like. Did you ever add baseboard to your room? I'm a little concerned that the bottom edge of fabric will get worn over time (vacuum cleaners, etc.) without baseboard.

I'll probably do a quick column study as well, changing the simple fabric columns to a wood version with trim.
post #183 of 1237 Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Did you ever add baseboard to your room? I'm a little concerned that the bottom edge of fabric will get worn over time (vacuum cleaners, etc.) without baseboard.

Never added any baseboards or even trim around the door. I was going for a very simple look. It has been 8 years and there is no sign of ware along the base of the fabric or around the door frame.
post #184 of 1237 Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's days like this when I'm glad my wife has a minivan.

1 Toyota Sienna
25 sheets of 2" Knauf insulation board (unfaced)
9 sheets of 2" Certainteed insulation board (faced)

I'm able to haul a decent amount of strategically placed lumber in my Sequoia, but the Sienna is the vehicle of choice for sheet goods. Much better than a Jetta.

post #185 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Started cutting in the primer this morning. Hope to break out the roller tomorrow. In other exciting news, I have my corner bass traps cut.

2' x 4' x 2" insulation board

I didn't feel like running out to get an electric carving knife, so I tried what was on hand. A standard utility knife did not work well as the blade does not extend enough to cut all the way through the 2" material. However, I did find one of these in my tool box, left over from an old wallpaper kit. I was able to extend the blade 2 1/2-3" which worked out pretty well.

Sliced in half, forming (2) 2'x2' squares

Each 2' square cut into 4 triangles

Lots of triangles for 3 corner bass traps

I did try stacking them in one of the corners and the stack wanted to tip forward. Is there a trick to keeping everything upright? Do I need to build some type of frame to hold them up or will the Linacoustic that runs between stacks hold them up?
post #186 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Is that similar to the OC 703 yellow stuff that everyone else uses?

post #187 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is. It's Knauf 3pcf insulation board. It doesn't contain any formaldehyde and as a bonus, is black (well, brownish-black).

http://www.knaufinsulation.us/produc...ith_ecose.aspx

Sound absorption coefficients (@ 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, NRC)
Knauf 2"-.29, .65, 1.11, 1.13, 1.06, 1.03, 1.00
OC703 2"-.17, .86, 1.14, 1.07, 1.02, .98, 1.00
post #188 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think what most people do is screw a 2x2 onto the wall on each side of the corner and then the triangles can fit right in and are held in place.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #189 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

I think what most people do is screw a 2x2 onto the wall on each side of the corner and then the triangles can fit right in and are held in place.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking I would have to do. Has anyone put a thin shelf half way up the stack? Would that reduce the acoustic properties?
post #190 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking I would have to do. Has anyone put a thin shelf half way up the stack? Would that reduce the acoustic properties?

I used OC703, but there was no need to put a shelf in half way up, the boards holding them in the corner was enough to keep the triangles stationary. From your pictures, it looks like it should support itself pretty well.
post #191 of 1237 Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

I used OC703, but there was no need to put a shelf in half way up, the boards holding them in the corner was enough to keep the triangles stationary. From your pictures, it looks like it should support itself pretty well.

I was thinking a shelf might allow me to eliminate the vertical 2x2's in the corners. I can get about half way up the wall before it starts to tip. Thought a shelf might be an easy fix but maybe the 2x's are the best way.
post #192 of 1237 Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Between 2 YMCA baseball games and a field trip to see Jautor's theater, I only managed to get one bass trap up and trimmed out today. Heading to see the Astros play the Rangers tomorrow, so I don't expect to get much done until next week.

I would like to extend another big "Thank You" to Jautor for having my family over today for the exclusive behind the scenes AVS member tour. Being able to test drive different image sizes from our proposed seating distance was extremely helpful. We all loved your space. Letting us borrow a spare projector to test things out in our own home was very generous and much appreciated.
post #193 of 1237 Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not sure how I missed this. Great thread/build.

What program do you use for your floorplans/elevations? I've been looking for something better than sketchup

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #194 of 1237 Old 05-20-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Not sure how I missed this. Great thread/build.

What program do you use for your floorplans/elevations? I've been looking for something better than sketchup

Thanks for stopping by Elill. I've been using AutoCAD for all of my plans and elevations. Fortunately, I also use it for work so I didn't need to purchase it just for theater design. It is very expensive, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have other uses for it. Even the stripped down version (AutoCAD LT) would be a fairly large investment just for your theater.

I'm not familiar with it, but I think others have used Visio to handle some of their design work. That might be an option.
post #195 of 1237 Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

I would like to extend another big "Thank You" to Jautor for having my family over today for the exclusive behind the scenes AVS member tour. Being able to test drive different image sizes from our proposed seating distance was extremely helpful. We all loved your space.

Folks that help stock the bar are always welcome for test drives!

(note for future reference: While Planet Earth makes for good, big expansive images, every scene ends with something getting eaten.)

Quote:

Letting us borrow a spare projector to test things out in our own home was very generous and much appreciated.

You're welcome - I found testing the screen size long before the room was finished to be very reassuring that I was on the right track. I did it twice - once with a little business PJ in the unfinished room before theater construction even started, and again with the real PJ before finalizing the screen order...

But let's not overstate that "spare" projector - a new-but-8-year-old business PJ from the surplus auction isn't a backup for the real one! Those units are good for testing screen size - but the image isn't going to be pretty! I bought it for Halloween usage - rear projecting on a window has been a big hit:

http://hallowindow.com/

Look forward to seeing the finished product - y'all have popcorn, right?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #196 of 1237 Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

(note for future reference: While Planet Earth makes for good, big expansive images, every scene ends with something getting eaten.)

No nightmares last night. I think the kids will be just fine.

Quote:

Look forward to seeing the finished product - y'all have popcorn, right?

Plenty of popcorn and ice cold beverages.
post #197 of 1237 Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Front traps will be done once I add some black paint to the 2x trim.

post #198 of 1237 Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
I am feeling lazy - are you doing an AT screen with false wall? Looks great btw.
post #199 of 1237 Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

I am feeling lazy - are you doing an AT screen with false wall? Looks great btw.

Yes, an AT screen on a false wall. I'm currently updating my plans to reflect a 115" wide 2.35:1 with all 3 speakers behind instead of a 100" 16:9 with only the center behind. Looks like it should work just fine. Everything is REALLY tight however, so I need to sketch it all out ahead of time to make sure all the pieces come together correctly without any conflicts.

The space behind the false wall is very narrow (only about 9" from the face of the acoustic treatments on the front wall to the the back of screen). My speakers are closed-box in-walls, although they will be installed more like on-walls so they sit proud of the 2" treatments I have on the front wall. I'm working on the mounting detail right now.
post #200 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Where are the subs going since you only have 9"s to work with?

post #201 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Where are the subs going since you only have 9"s to work with?

Behind the back row.
post #202 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It's looking good. I have the same insulation for my front bass traps, and also for a 2" thick treatment covering the entire front wall behind the screen. You have a beautiful stage but I think most of it is going to be covered up and you won't be able to see much of it.

It looks like you have a door on both sides of the stage, have you got some soundproofing ideas for them?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #203 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

It's looking good. I have the same insulation for my front bass traps, and also for a 2" thick treatment covering the entire front wall behind the screen. You have a beautiful stage but I think most of it is going to be covered up and you won't be able to see much of it.

It looks like you have a door on both sides of the stage, have you got some soundproofing ideas for them?

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't have the room to build a deeper stage so a little less than half of what you currently see on the top will be hidden behind the false wall. The top is currently 28" deep at the widest point and 11" of that will end up behind the screen (9" open space + 2" of acoustic treatments).

The opening to the right of the stage is the entry to the theater and will receive a solid door. No special soundproofing there as I don't really have any sound isolation measures elsewhere in the theater. The opening to the left of the screen will not get a door. The fabric panels at that location will simply run across the opening as if it wasn't there, and they will be removable at that location to allow access into that closet and the back of the equipment rack. I don't expect having to get back there very often so I didn't want to clutter up that wall with a door. The column to the left of the opening will swing open for access to the front of the equipment rack.

The dashed rectangle on the wall is the opening behind removable panels.
post #204 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes, an AT screen on a false wall. I'm currently updating my plans to reflect a 115" wide 2.35:1 with all 3 speakers behind instead of a 100" 16:9 with only the center behind. Looks like it should work just fine. Everything is REALLY tight however, so I need to sketch it all out ahead of time to make sure all the pieces come together correctly without any conflicts.

The space behind the false wall is very narrow (only about 9" from the face of the acoustic treatments on the front wall to the the back of screen). My speakers are closed-box in-walls, although they will be installed more like on-walls so they sit proud of the 2" treatments I have on the front wall. I'm working on the mounting detail right now.

I thought it looked a bit tight up on the stage. I'm going to move my screen wall back six inches to gain some viewing distance for the first row. I'll have about 1'6" behind the screen. Speakers are 12" deep and subs are 15 5/8" diameter.
post #205 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

I thought it looked a bit tight up on the stage. I'm going to move my screen wall back six inches to gain some viewing distance for the first row. I'll have about 1'6" behind the screen. Speakers are 12" deep and subs are 15 5/8" diameter.

Just leave yourself enough room in case you ever upgrade to a larger sub.
post #206 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really like the look of the stage, especially with the proscenium above it, it has a nice symmetry to it. I debated building a stage and ended up not doing it. My front wall will just be a black rectangle with a white screen in the center. Nothing fancy to look at, but it should get the job done.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #207 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

I really like the look of the stage, especially with the proscenium above it, it has a nice symmetry to it. I debated building a stage and ended up not doing it. My front wall will just be a black rectangle with a white screen in the center. Nothing fancy to look at, but it should get the job done.

They all look the same with the lights off, right? At least that is what everyone keeps telling me when I say I'm still not done.
post #208 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

They all look the same with the lights off, right?

Words to live by.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #209 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll be putting Linacoustic on my front wall tomorrow. I'm planning on 2 layers of 1" material. It looks like quite a few of the more recent builds, including most of Dennis', include a layer of poly sheeting between the 2 layers of Linacoustic. Would I be getting myself into trouble by doing the same as part of my "one size fits all" acoustic strategy?

My current plan is as follows:
-(2) 1" layers of Linacoustic on the front wall, either with or without 3.5 mil poly sheeting between layers
-1" Linacoustic on the side walls (floor to ceiling for the front 1/3, ear height for the back 2/3)
-4" of 3pcf boards on the back wall (actually 2 layers of 2" boards-outer layer has FSK facing)
-corner bass traps in the front two corners and back left corner
-no ceiling or soffit treatments

Any thoughts on either the overall approach or specifically, whether the the use of 3.5 mil polyethylene sheeting between the layers on the front wall is appropriate?
post #210 of 1237 Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I was told to put Polly only on the rear wall, that coming from Bpape, but could of just been for my application.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page