post #91 of 198 Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMarceau View Post

I've spent the last few days working thru the details of the wall panels. I have made some jigs and master segements to help cut the miters for the diamond patterned panels. Below are pictures of the first couple of panels. I wanted to make a few and mount them on the wall before I went in full production mode.

All in all not too bad. I now ready to go into mass production mode.

Ahhhh, you are now entering the land of 1000 panels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Close. It is the land of 320 panels. For some reason the path of least resistance never appealed to me. The road less travel is much more fun if not more challenging

Radagast the Busy
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

The Green Dragon Bar and Bijou
post #93 of 198 Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

We'll I spent a couple of hours Friday night making all the common diamond patterns for my first wall segment. Everything went as planned until...

I layed them out on the floor and confirmed my concern that the small patterns would be too dense for a surface that was supposed to absorb sound. The frames just seemed to take too much of the surface area.

I made them from 1/2" MDF and a couple from some 1/2" popular I had laying around. I chose 1/2" to maximize the amount of Linacoustic. But after seeing it first hand I thought better about it. Also I tried to attached fabric to an mdf version and it just came apart from the stress of the stretched fabric . Small pieces of the Achorage GOM do not have a lot of give to them and pulling them hard enough for a tight fit caused the mdf joints to fail. So I've decided to stick to solid wood.

I asked my better half for her artistic opinion. She thought a larger diamond pattern would look better as it would balance out to upper and lower halves of the wall . So I spent some time on Saturday sketching out options again. So here is what we decided looks the best and keeps the original intent we were looking for.

With the flash on the camera I can see some wrinkles in the fabric which are not visible in natural light so I will need to work on my technique. Fortunately these panels are only held in place with a few well placed pin nails so I can removed them, restretch, and reinstall. I will also fix a few gaps I see between the panels.

But overall that is the look I will replicate on the rest of the wall segments. I will take more detailed pictures of the next wall segment for those interested in the technique I am using. Kibitzing is welcome..

Oh well, the best layed plans of mice and men and HT geeks....

Radagast the Busy
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

post #94 of 198 Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kinda looks like an angry Optimus Prime

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #95 of 198 Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

Kinda looks like an angry Optimus Prime

LOL!!!

I can totally see it. Optimus is obviously not happy with the goings on in the Shire.

That being said I absolutely love this build and the woodworking is stunning, great job!
post #96 of 198 Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

LOL!! I never thought of that one. My son will thinks it's great. I can just see it now; Orcs attacking Minas Tirith and then Optimus, Bumblebee, and Ironhide come roaring over the hill top onto the Fields of Pellenor arm cannons a blazing. That would definetly put some fear in the orcs, trolls, and such.

Radagast the Busy

post #97 of 198 Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Still working on wall panels. Spent the labor day working on the next major segment. I decided to work on the large wall segments first to fine tune the design and install the walls scounces so I can get additional lighting in the HT. Here are a few pictures...

Main wall segment you face as you enter the HT. Starting at the bottom first and working my way up...

I am working on the diamond patterns in this order to get tight joint in a straight line:

7 2 1 3 8 9

Then the border...

The fill in the left and right upper segments...

The center frames show how I am handling the scounce box. Basically making a wooden box for the shallow round ceiling box to fit into. The ceiling box is installed after the left and right center panels are wrapped in fabric and fastened in place. The box is then screwed down into the wooden box for a nice tight fit.

Finished wall with wall scounce installed...

Close up of the wall scouce. The angles on the fabric panels match the angle of the glass surround...

It took me some time to get the panel fabrication down and attaching the fabric. My next post will be a detailed step by step of how I tackled the problem to avoid sags in the fabric...

Radagast the Busy

post #98 of 198 Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM

I just finished most of my lobby fabric frames (wall panels as you call them) and I can only imagine how much longer it would take to do all those fancy angles! I don't think I would like those sconces on a plain painted wall but they look really good with your design.

Good job and keep up the good work!
post #99 of 198 Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my storyboard for making the fabric wall panels. There are several good threads out there. Here's my contribution. Feel free to kibitz..

Make frames...(use wood not MDF per my previous post)
I started with 1/2" aspen from HD.. But I found this to be expensive so I've switched to 3/4" pine and ran them thru my planer to get to 1/2" thick material.

Ripped them on the tablesaw to 1" wide stock ..

Cut the 1" strip to length. For the basic diamond shapes, I went with 16" on a side.

Then mitered each end on the power miter box. The angles I worked with are 75 degrees and 105 degrees included respectively. The 75 degree side match the angles on my wall scounces. I used jigs to accurately set the miter box to the right degree for each set-up. Since a miter box only cuts at 45 degree max I made a cheater jig shown below to hold the wood at 45 degree and then set the miter box for the remaining degree to get to the right finished angle....

Once all the sides are cut, I ran each piece thru the shaper with a 1" 45 degree miter bit to put a 1/4" chamfer on the outside perimeter...

Once I had all (4) sides done I pin-nailed the diamond together and finished each joint with (2) 1/2" staples on the bottom and (1) on the top of each joint.

Finished frame...

I then layed the frame on the linacoustic mat and cut out a piece with a razor knife using the frame as a template. I then cut fabric so it was approximately 2" to 2-1/2" wider than the frame..

I then stapled one entire side of the fabric to the inside edge of the frame leaving the last 2" on each end unstapled.

Then I lightly stretched the opposite side and put 4 staples in the center...

I then did the other (2) sides and placed 4 staples of each side with just some light tension. The frame looked like this at this point...

Then at each point I pulled the fabric and placed a staple in each corner..

I then worked in opposite corners and pulled the fabric and finished the remaining staples on 1 side of the center ones. Basically like tightened the wheel lugs on your car. I then finished off the corners by tightly pulling the excess fabric and placing another staple in each corner...

The finished stapled frame looked like this...

The excess material was trimmed off with scissors just below the staples. The linacoustic was then place inside the frame, black surface down...

The finished panel looks like this...

I then install the panel on the wall and secure it with a gazillion 1" 23 gauge pin nails set at a 45 degree angle. They hold plenty good. I know as I had to remove some from the wall already that I had lined up to the wrong witness marks.... It took a claw hammer and some work to pull the bloody thing off the wall. Picture below of wall the pin nails look like installed...

Another angle...

This is what the wall looked like when I pull them off. Won't make that mistake twice .....I hope...

Another shot...

All in all it takes me an average of 1 hour to make each panel. Less for the common ones like the diamond shapes. More for the special ones on the corners the have 5 sides and cut ins for the for riser and procenium. So I figure I have at least 2-3 more weeks of panel construction before I move onto the next phase with is installing the screen wall and front speakers.

More pic's to follow as I make progress....

Radagast the Busy

post #100 of 198 Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Very painstaking work there! Those panels look awesome.
post #101 of 198 Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Beautiful work on those panels. Why don't you just attach them with industrial velcro? This would allow minor repositioning and make them easy to detach and replace if one was to become damaged.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #102 of 198 Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That wall and the wall sconce are unlike anything I've ever seen before. Looks pretty cool. Very colorful.
post #103 of 198 Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Beautiful work on those panels. Why don't you just attach them with industrial velcro? This would allow minor repositioning and make them easy to detach and replace if one was to become damaged.

Moggie - Thanks. I did give some thought to using velcro but wasn't sure just how much would be needed to prevent shifting. I've used it in other applications. My concern wasn't that it would pull off the wall but left/right/up/down shifting. I sampled a frame on some scrap drywall and I was plenty satisfied with the method so I stuck with that.

I also will be attaching shelves, etc. to the wall panels for my collectibles so I wanted to make sure I had the most secured method I could use. One day soon I hope to start that step because that will be the last thing to do before I close this project out.

Radagast the Busy

post #104 of 198 Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Looks great!

I love your table saw setup, that out feed table is sweet. I wish I had room for one of those.

Robert
post #105 of 198 Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM

DJ, I have another question for you on your wainscoting.

When you made your frames, do you remember the overall (outside) dimensions of them? Also, do you recall the interior, height and width, of each panel?

I like the look of each panel being rather rectangular and would like to use a similar ratio on mine.

Thanks.
post #106 of 198 Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

DJ, I have another question for you on your wainscoting.

When you made your frames, do you remember the overall (outside) dimensions of them? Also, do you recall the interior, height and width, of each panel?

I like the look of each panel being rather rectangular and would like to use a similar ratio on mine.

Thanks.

Marcus,

No problem. The overall height of each Frame is 36". The length of the frame varied as I had to cover a specific area of wall; anywhere between 36 to 144". I made them so I only had (1) frame for the section of wall I was covering. The stiles were 24" long to make the overall height of the opening for each panel 24". Most of the panels are between 17-19" wide. I divided the length of each frame so the panels feel somewhere in between. The ratio of approximately .75:1; (width 75% of height).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you any further questions.

Radagast the Busy

post #107 of 198 Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well I finished off (2) more wall sections. I am was able to hook up 3 of the 4 scounces to the Lutron controller. Below are some pics....

First, a close up of the fabric frames for around the scounces...

Here is what one of the panels looks like from the side with the shallow ceiling box.

Slight different perspective. When the frames are wrapped in fabric the cans are pressed into the pocket and screwed in place with drywall screws. The can gives the fabric a last good tightening.

Left side view of the sections closest to the stage...

A view the right hand side section....

Picture of scounce lit with (2) 40w cool white bulbs (with flash)...

And no flash...

I am very pleased with the look of the scounces. The brown tiffany glass gives off a nice warm glow.

I now will work on the last left hand side section where the last wall scounce will be. Then finish up the rear and lastly the right hand side where the equipment room and HT door are. BTW, I have (4) zones for the controller; 1 -overhead cans, 2 - (3) front scounces, 3 - 1 rear scounce, 4 soffit and under-step rope lighting .

I feel like Dori the fish; just keep working, just keep working...

Radagast the Busy

post #108 of 198 Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm continuing to plug away at fabric panels. I now have (2-1/3) walls completed. Next step is to finish up the equipment rack wall segment. I plan to construct a door for the equipment to mount fabric panels to keep the continuity of the pattern. I looked at the Middle Alantic doors and they want an arm and a leg for a plexiglas door . I figure a custom door to match the decor will look better anyway. A few pics for your enjoyment...

Back wall now completed. I redid the center section to match the others and to restrech the fabric properly to avoid sags/ripples....

Shot of completed left side wall....

View from the front left corner towards the riser...

Once the equipment rack section is done I will move to complete the front wall. Then I will stain and seal the HT entry door and finish up the right wall. Then onto the screen wall, screen installation, and procenium columns.

Radagast the Busy

post #109 of 198 Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Nice! Keep track of how many staples you end up using. I think I'm at the 40,000 mark myself.....
post #110 of 198 Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

Nice! Keep track of how many staples you end up using. I think I'm at the 40,000 mark myself.....

It's a good metric. At this point I'm almost at the 25,000 mark for staples and the 5000 mark for 23 ga pin nails.

Thank goodness for pneumatic staplers & nailers. I don't think my hands could take the abuse of working a manual stapler.

The only danger is sticking yourself. I've gotten myself a dozen times with the pin nails when the nails bent when they hit some dense grain or a knot and changed direction where my fingers were. I've actual seen some accordian up on me. So I keep my fingers way back from the joint now and keep some needlenose pliers handy to pull them out.

Early on with the fabric panel construction I nailed myself once thru the tip of my thumb thru the fingernail with my 16 ga Paslode finish nailer. Man that hurt. Fortunately it missed the bone but it scared the *&#% out of me for the first 10 seconds of so. Won't make that same mistake twice..

Radagast the Busy

post #111 of 198 Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

One more section of wall completed. This one is the portion where the equipment rack is. After some thought I decided to build a door to mount fabric panels to keep the look of the room consistent. Below are some pics.

With door closed...

With door open...

And a view of the back wall and equipment rack section...

Now I'll give myself a small break and finish up the front wall. No fancy panels or cut; just simple squares and GOM. After that I will work on finish up the door installation and remounting the door seals, etc. then finish up the fabric panels. I will be glad when this is part is done. I think I will swear off miter joints and staples for a while...

Radagast the Busy

post #112 of 198 Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMarceau View Post

One more section of wall completed. This one is the portion where the equipment rack is. After some thought I decided to build a door to mount fabric panels to keep the look of the room consistent. Below are some pics.

With door closed...

With door open...

And a view of the back wall and equipment rack section...

Now I'll give myself a small break and finish up the front wall. No fancy panels or cut; just simple squares and GOM. After that I will work on finish up the door installation and remounting the door seals, etc. then finish up the fabric panels. I will be glad when this is part is done. I think I will swear off miter joints and staples for a while...

I love the secret door.
post #113 of 198 Old 11-02-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great woodwork! Look forward to seeing the finished pics of the bar and theater.
post #114 of 198 Old 11-02-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I might as well just come out and say that I'll be stealing your wainscoting (the idea, anyway). I also had a fairly "aggressive" fabric scheme but after seeing all the work you have put in, I think I need to simplify if I hope to finish in the next few years. Keep the pics coming.
post #115 of 198 Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Guys - thanks for all the nice feedback. Everyone here knows we toil away at our own little DIY projects. Feedback is always appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

I love the secret door.

I'm pleased with how it came out. I still have some tweaking to do. I have some spring detents coming in from Rockler to keep the door closed. I came up with a simple way to hide the hinges for the door that I will post some pictures on a little later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_13 View Post

Great woodwork! Look forward to seeing the finished pics of the bar and theater.

They're coming....I promise....Really....I will finish this up....Honest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I might as well just come out and say that I'll be stealing your wainscoting (the idea, anyway). I also had a fairly "aggressive" fabric scheme but after seeing all the work you have put in, I think I need to simplify if I hope to finish in the next few years. Keep the pics coming.

Feel free to steal away. The reason I started this thread is to share and contribute what I can to the AVS community. I have done more than my fair share of borrowing in my years of lurking in the background. There is a lot of knowledge here and I would like to give back in some small way. One person I should credit for the fabric panels is GPowers and his fabric panel thread. I spent quite a bit studying that thread and modifying it to my own circumstances and style.

I will admit I grossly underestimated the time for the panels. Before I started I guessed about 30 minutes/panel which should have taken me about 6 weeks to finish based on the amount of "spare" time I have available to work on the project. In reality it has taken me close to an hour/panel and 12 weeks to get where I am. WAF is very high so it is time well spent but man this is getting to me.

But the end is in sight. Christmas is coming and I have a slew of holiday movies I want to watch (after the LOTR trilogy of course)...

Radagast the Busy

post #116 of 198 Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 PM

you inspire me
post #117 of 198 Old 11-12-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

A few more progress pics for you. The front wall is now complete. All it needs is a screen and speakers.

What I started with...

Boxed in the speaker cavities w/3/4" MDF and caulked around to perimeter....

Then I made some boxes for the Carlton boxes out of 3/4" MDF. I had to make them 2" deep to accomodate the plastic inserts...

I applied constructon adhesive to the back and screwed them in place....

I constructed 2" deep fabric panels to match the LV boxes. Wrapped in GOM FR701 black fabric and layed in 1" of Linacoustic....

And the finished product. Just need some covers for the speaker wire...

I couldn't wait so I ordered and have already received my mugs, glasses, and bar coasters for the bar....

Good quality stuff. Nice deep etching on the glassware...

When I'm done I going lift a pint and toast "Never again"...

Well....until at least the next upgrade on the electronics side...

Now onto the door. I have to trim the bottom off to compensate for the carpet and reinstall the Zero International seals and threshold. Then finishing up the fabric panels around the door. But that's tomorrow chore.

Radagast the Busy

post #118 of 198 Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

I've finally have gotten past this stage of the build. The HT door has been stained, sealed, and remounted. Door seals and threshold have been reinstalled. The last of the panels have been installed. The final tally:

264 fabric panels
40000 staples
12000 pin nails

Here are a few pics...

HT door exterior...

HT door interior...

Pic of how I frame around the riser...

Interior of the HT door section...

And of the entire wall...

This was a lot more work that I originally envisioned. But once I had that first wall section completed I knew that was the look that I wanted so there was no choice but the finish it. I am really pleased with how it looks. The wife and kids love it. So now I can move onto the next step; installing the front speakers, subwoofers, receiver and run a wiring check. Then get the screen up and finishing the procenium.

Radagast the Busy

post #119 of 198 Old 12-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The door looks awesome. The wall was well worth your time and effort. Looks great. Always look forward to your updates.
post #120 of 198 Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hooked up my speakers and AVR yesterday. Everything checked out. I have a series of Axiom speakers that we used in our familyroom big screen TV set-up. Here's the inventory:

Center - VP150
Left, Right - M22i
Left, Right presense - M2
Subwoofer - EP350

The EP350 is in question as I'm not sure if I can fit this in the front given the size of the screen. I'll move this around for the best sound and see where it winds up. I did go ahead and purchase an in-wall Triad Bronze subwoofer with sub-amp for placement in the left front column. I'm going for a 2 subwoofer arrangement.

We thought we would try these first to see how they sound. Our family room is similar is size to the home theater but with the back wall open to the breakfast room/kitchen area. When we watch movies we have no problem with filling the room with sound. I am no audiophile so we'll see how things sound and test out when I'm all done. We'll see where we go from there.

Here's is what it looks like...

Now the heartbreak. I started unpacking the Stewart Filmscreen screen to start the installation. I opened the bag for the lower/upper rails and found this ...

No signs of impact damage. Looks like a stress fracture from the attachment process ....

Anyways, I'm working with my contact at AVS to get a replacement part. After the shock settled in I viewed this is a minor setback. For as long as this build has been going I can't get too jacked out of shape for everything that goes wrong. If I did I'd be in traction for the rest of my days.
I'll just move onto building the columns next and get back to the procenium once the part shows up.

Radagast the Busy

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page