Green Dragon Bar and Bijou Construction Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 198 Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well here goes...

First off many thanks to the contributors to AVS Forums. I have been a long time lurker and have picked up many good points and insights about home theater construction over the years especially from Dennis Erskine and his team.

My wife and I decided some time ago to undertake a major remodeling of our basement. After we built our home in the late 80's it housed our recreation room, a small craft room for my wife, and my workshop. But after several years of use, the dust and noise generated in my workshop became too bothersome so I was "allowed" to build a barn to house my ever expanding inventory of tools. To make a long story short, after 3 kids the rec room (aka the "wreck" room) needed a major remodeling and the craft room was busting at the seams. So I converted the old workshop into a larger more modern craftroom for the wife. About 3 years ago I began the remodeling of the wreck room and old craft room.

The base design of the theater was created by DCP a few months before I started work. The intent is to create a dedicated theater (13'-4" x 21'-2"), bar (9' x 8'), and game area (9' x 25').

I fell in love with Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy so I decided to create a themed theater. As I began work I began to slowly collect a variety of collectibles (swords, statues, etc.) to display in the theater, bar, and game area. Hence the name: The Green Dragon Bar and Bijou. The WAF was at the limit but she agreed provided I didn't go overboard with the architecture. I expect once we have grandchildren she'll insist on getting rid of the Balrog and Orc statues to keep the kids from getting nightmares.

Once I read up on the "how to post pictures" thread I'll get some pictures up of our progress to date. I plan to update this thread on a weekly basis going forward.

Let the fun begin.....

Radagast the Busy
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Go to www.photobucket.com. Upload your pictures to the site, then paste the link from your pictures here. Its pretty simple. What city are you located in? Im in clinton twp (18 and Garfield area). I would love to see some of the items you collected. Im trying to decide on a few props I want for my basement. I love the simpsons, but am having a difficult time finding anything I want.
post #3 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Pic link in my sig.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #4 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links gents. I'll get things set-up and start posting pics tonight. I estimate I am about 2 months from completion so I have a lot to choose from during the past 2-1/2 years.

Remax - I live in Lyon Township (I-96 and Milford). A reasonable distance from you. Hope to start unpacking all my stuff in early February.

Radagast the Busy
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

post #5 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

My motto - Do it right and be done with it.

Given that, after several months, and reading a lot of threads I thought it best to go with a professional for the basic design. That way I could focus more on the actual work and later on with the final look of the theater. So I went with Dennis Erskine and Mark Ye of DCP to come up with a theater that would best fit the area we had to work with. The basement is basically in the shape of a squat "L".

Attached is a modified overview of the plans I purchased from them. I've removed all pertinent dimensions etc. to show just the plan view of what the end product would look like.

It will be a 6 person theater built against 2 block walls on the upper part of the L. The upper and right walls are framed out against the block wall. The lower and left walls are staggered stud construction. The interior is 5/8" double drywall & green glue with RSIC clips and channel on all 5 surfaces; caulked on all corners and edges. IC Lights will be housed in their own hush boxes caulked in place. Walls and ceilings are fully insulated. All plumbing and HVAC is wrapped to reduce noise. HVAC ducting in the HT is insulated flexible ducting. The exterior of the HT is also 5/8" DD & GG. The lower portion is in plywood for wainscoting I plan to install.

Pictures on posts to come shortly.

Radagast the Busy

post #6 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

In the beginning is was just a recreation room and a craft room. Pictures below are what it looked like after we moved out the furniture and before the wrecking ball hit. The small room in pictures below are of the old craft room. The wall you see is non-load bearing and was removed.

Trust me it never was this clean in real life...

Old craft room. There is where the procenium will be...

Future bar location...

From future bar area looking towards stairway. This wall is now gone...

Radagast the Busy

post #7 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Actually it was a sledgehammer but it was just as fun. A man has to have some fun in his life, eh?

The next set of pictures show removal of ceiling tiles, drywall, insulation, carpeting and stud walls. Basically I wanted to start with a clean sheet. All the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC remained in place. The electrical was placed off to the side (yes, with circuits off and removed ) for reinstallation once reconstruction started.

Pretty basic stuff...

From stairs looking into HT location...

From SE corner looking towards future procenium area

From procenium looking towards stairs

Radagast the Busy

post #8 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

The previous post took about a month to complete. Next series of posts show in some cronological order how I have been assembling this jigsaw puzzle. These take place pretty much over the last 2-1/2 years.

This first set shows the subflooring system we put in place throughout the basement. We have a high water table and had a few incidents with our sump pump giving up the ghost at the most inopportune time. I have since installed a back-up battery system with high water sensors to scream just in case we have an issue with the sump pump again.

Instead of Dri-Core we went with an all plastic flooring system installed by a local subcontractor. The concept is the same; just no wood involved. No problems since it has been installed (knock on wood (aka my head)).

From the NW corner looking towards where the procenium will be against the wall.

Looking from the SW corner looking towards the SE to where the bar will be.

Radagast the Busy

post #9 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some shots of the rough framing going on and the rough in of the theater itself...

Insulation board before walls are up...

Same thing, looking towards procenium area...

From front of HT towards back...

From back of the HT towards the front...

From bar area looking towards game area..

From game area looking towards bar....

Radagast the Busy

post #10 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

We have (2) Lutron contollers; one for the theater, the other for the stairs, bar and game area.

Ran a boatload of wiring for speakers (mains and back-ups), and buttkickers. Basic plan is for the theater to have a 7.2 speaker system but I went nuts and ran enough in different locations for 11.2 just in case the fever hits me. Probably will never use it all but better now than to do it after it is finished off.

I also ran 6 wire bundles consisting of (2) cat 6, (2) quad shield RG6, and (2) fiber optic just in case. I ran these bundles throughout the whole house some time ago. So I ran (2) bundles to the procenium, 1 to the projector, 1 behind each row of seats, (2) into the equipment room from our central distribution hub, and (2) for the bar.

What the hell, I can't help myself.

IC lights in a box.

Radagast the Busy

post #11 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Man how I hate insulation. Covered head to toe, gloves, glasses, dust masks, etc., etc., etc. and I still itch

Radagast the Busy

post #12 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Now it's starting to look like something...

Again 5/8" paperless drywall with liberal amounts of Green Glue. Sticky stuff. Don't get it on what you don't want; particularly your hair when you are lifting sheets to the ceiling. I rented a panel lift to heft them up.

I taped the joints on the 1st layer and ran 50 year silicone caulk in all the corners. Applied the green glue to the back of the second layer and installed. Again finished off the joints and screw holes, caulked the corners.

I removed the 1/4" spacers from the bottom edge that I rested the drywall on and caulked that as well. Word of advice, leave enough of the 1/4 spacers hanging out so you have some to grab onto. The weight of the drywall makes in a PITA to pull those out. I had to dig at them for several hours to get them all out.

Radagast the Busy

post #13 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

My plans call for 124" 2.35:1 CIH AT screen. Still working out the particulars. I have been in contact with the folks at AV Science and reading the display posts to get myself educated. I've already order the (6) Berkline 45025 chairs with Buttkickers from Roman. Should be shipped any day.

But first I need to place to put everything....

Stage has the requisite 1500# of sand. I got a workout hefting those down the stairs 40# at a time. I was so tired I forgot to take pictures of the actual construction.

BTW the holes in the wall behind the screen are for the speakers. Screen wall is pretty close so I wanted to make sure I have maximum room. Given they are up against a block wall I am hoping for not too much trouble..

Riser filled in insulation. Conduit and wiring run for 110 VAC and LV wiring.

Both decked with (2) layers of 3/4 and (1) 1/2" layer of plywood

You;ll also see pictures of the soffits. Again, forgot to take pictures during that construction. Too focused on the job at hand

Radagast the Busy

post #14 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Now that the theater is roughed in I wanted to move onto the bar and game area to get that rough in. Might as well get all the dust and dirt done before I start the finishing touches.

The boxes you see are for the cabinets for the bar. They came in about 1 week sooner than I had planned. But better late than never.

The bar and game room area is finished similar to the theater. Styrofoam insulation against the walls, insulated 2x4 walls, paperless drywall. The ceiling is done just like the theater (5/8" DD/GG) to keep the sound from creeping upstairs.

I added arches to the walls to break up the long flat plane but to also have a focal point for my collection.

Radagast the Busy

post #15 of 198 Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

At this point I am wrapping up the finish coat on the drywall joints and corners. I should be done by the weekend. This weekend I will prime and finish paint the bar and game room, stairway, and hallway.

Here is what the future holds...

Next week I turn my attention to the bar itself. I will be building a raised platform, installing cabinets, countertop, sink, and twin refigerators. The countertop will be blue pearl granite tile. There will be a flatscreen TV installed but that will come near the end of the build.

After that I will install the doors in the furnace room under the stairs, the equipment room, and the theater itself. Followed by build/installing wainscoting around the entire perimeter of the bar and game room area.

Then I play Michaelangelo and paint the theater ceiling in a faux granite motiff.

Did I mention the final design theme for the theater is Moria?

I've got some cool finish details but I won't share those just yet...

Anyway that is where I am at. The goal is to finish by mid-February. That would put me 37 months into this exercise. I'll keep everyone posted on a weekly basis going forward...

Suggestions are always welcome...

Radagast the Busy

post #16 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 AM

Yes...awesome looking space so far...less clicking would be nice.
post #17 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

My apologies on all the clicking. I did try to post photo's directly in the reply per DC_Pilgrim's post but without luck; they kept coming up as links. I opted to get some pictures up quickly at least. I ran into a browser error while doing this which may have been my problem.

I'll work out the kinks/process in the next day or so to minimize the inconvenience. If successful I'll edit the posts accordingly.

Radagast the Busy

post #18 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Got it finally. I was clicking on the wrong box in photobucket

I'll get these corrected today. That chewed up some of my 5 minutes......

Update - Posts updated with pictures. Linked pictures removed. Easy sailing going forward....

Radagast the Busy

post #19 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 AM

Awesome....awesome build. I'm subscribing
post #20 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM

What part of MI are you in? I have family in Saline.
post #21 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodcat View Post

What part of MI are you in? I have family in Saline.

Lyon Township. See post #4

Radagast the Busy

post #22 of 198 Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMarceau View Post

Lyon Township. See post #4

Sorry, must have missed that.
post #23 of 198 Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Goodcat - No probem. I tend to speed read the responses myself.

While I am waiting for the drywall mud to dry I working on an idea for the soffit molding. I am playing with the idea of using faux stone fabric and having dwarf runes embossed on the fabric. Then this would be installed similar to crown molding around the perimeter of the soffit. When the rope lighting is on the denser runes would stand out against the lighter fabric.

My wife has stitched up some samples to see how it would look. The effect was actually pretty good against a normal incandensent lightblub. But how would it look against rope light I'm not sure. I'm sure placement will be a factor and I may have to engineer a retaining system to secure them in just the right location for the proper backlighting effect.

Before I get a sample length from HD I thought I would ask anyone with rope lighting in trays just how hot to the touch they get?

I'm not looking to burn down the theater before the premier.

I'll post some pictures tonight as to what my idea might look like.

Radagast the Busy

post #24 of 198 Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my idea to do something a little different about perimeter moulding around the soffit.

The follow samples are from the Stonehenge Sunshine Cottage line from Northcott Mills (www.northcott.net). We went to a local quilting supplier who carried this line to buy small samples. My wife programmed her sewing machine to stitch drawf runes into the fabric. Each sample is shown with and without backlighting. To backlight I layed them across a small lampshade with a 60 watt bulb. It has a warm yellow color thru the lampshade.

Grey w/white veining (Cool series #3937-15)- Natural

Grey w/white veining (Cool series #3937-15)- Backlit

Mottled Brown (Warm series #3937-18) - Natural

Mottled Brown (Warm series #3937-18) - Backlit

Black w/light brown veining - Natural

Black w/light brown veining - Backlit

Close up of Rune Character

If we are to pick one it will likely be the Black as it is close to the color/pattern I am thinking of painting the ceiling in.

As for mounting this I am seeing what Fabrictrak and other manufacturers have to offer.

Radagast the Busy

post #25 of 198 Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I am thinking for the ceiling. It is a faux granite painting scheme called Sea Green. I found it in a resource book called The Art of Faux by Pierre Finkelstien. The picture is not 100% color accurate to what is in the book. I am still investigating options as I am about 2-3 weeks away from having to do the Sistine Chapel routine.

Radagast the Busy

post #26 of 198 Old 12-26-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

O'k, I've been busy working in the basement. Drywall is 99% done. While waiting for the last skim coat to dry I began to construct the bar. My wife and I picked out the colors we wanted based on the color of the cabinets. We are looking for a warm, English pub feel for the bar and game area. So I went ahead and painted the bar end of the basement and started construction.

The entire bar is built on a 2x6 platform.

It is a basic U-shaped area with twin refrigerators; one for wine, the other for pop and beer. I thought hard about a kegerator but figured I would have to drink a lot of beer for the investment. Trying to be frugal where I can

The granite tile is just laid on top for now. I plan to set them in place and grout tomorrow...

The goal is to get the bar done by Monday...

Painting of the the remaining game area should be done on Tuesday; door installation on Wednesday. Hope to pick-up the wainscoting trim and material on Monday.

Radagast the Busy

post #27 of 198 Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

It's been almost 2 weeks since my last post. I've been working pretty steady on this but I admit I did shift into low gear for a few days over the holidays. The bar is about 80% complete. I have the counter top installed but I hit a snag by not ordering enough of the black marble chair rail. I made a slight design change and I ended up being (3) peices short. I ordered more and they should be in next week. That is holding up installing the bar top and rail. The drywall is all done. I paint the remaining area this weekend. Then I'm on hiatus for a week as I need to go out of town on business. Here are some pictures of where I am at.

Once I get the remaining chair rail in then I can finish the grouting, Repaint the walls around the backsplash, put the finish trim underneath the edge, install the bar top and rail, and lastly the finished flooring. In the meantime I will get the doors installed, construct and install the home theater door, and then the wainscotting. That will only leave getting carpeting installed. But before I have that done I will go back to the theater and finish that off.

Radagast the Busy

post #28 of 198 Old 01-22-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

The remaining ceramic tiles were delivered last week. There are now cemeted and grouted in place. Tonight I'll do some touch-up painting above the chair rail to cover the black grout that got on the walls.

The rec room drywall and paint are now completed. This weekend I will build and install the maple bar top and bar rail. If time permits maybe I'll be able to start installing the doors.

Our recliners were delivered this past Wednesday. Last November I ordered the Berkline chairs thru Roman @ HTtheaters. I took a while for the wife and I to decide on the style and colors. We finally agreed on the 45025's with Buttkickers, with the optional light rail and lighted cup holders. We picked Burgundy leather option. We will have 2 rows of 3 chairs. Below are some pictures.

Unloaded and ready for installation. Too bad I am behind schedule (yet again ) so these won't see the inside of the house until late February now.

I couldn't resist opening one up and trying it out. Very nice indeed. Too bad the leathers cold; but then again it is only below freezing outside.

With the chairs here we can finalize the GOM wall fabric colors. From the left FR701 black for the screen wall and procenium, Anchorage 2016 Onyx for the soffit, Anchorage 2025 Midnight for the top of the walls, Anchorage 2017 Slate for the border feature, and finally Anchorage 2044 Mulberry for the bottom of the walls. I will be creating geometric shaped wall panels instead of square just for some artistic flair. The design should be complete in a week and then I'll send out for quotes.

With the chairs here I will need to maintain my focus and get the rec room/bar done first before I start the finish work in the theater. Once the chairs are in place they will be calling out to me. Must resist......

Radagast the Busy

post #29 of 198 Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I have finished the installation of the bar top. Ready for staining and sealing. The bulk of the last week I spent trying out different stains colors, shades, media. I must have bought about 20 different kinds in small containers and coated small samples of maple and poplar. But I finally have (2) that my wife agreed to. One for the bar top, the other for the wainscotting and doors.

Speaking of doors. I have installed (3) for the furnace room area and the door into the theater. I decided to go with a 1-3/4" 6 panel door and added 3/4" MDF on the HT interior side of the door. I filled the panel cavities with linacoustic and applied green glue to the remaining surfaces. I have a standard passage door set that I will be making modifications to so it can work on a 2-1/4" door. Tomorrow I will be installing the door seals, threshold, and threshhold seals from Zero International.

Later on this week I will fabricate special doors for the understair area that houses our freezer. This will hold our DVD collection. Then the equipment room will get a special door to access. Below are some of the latest pictures.

In my spare time I am researching and comparing projector specs. I am intrigued with the Runco LED projectors. I need to find a local dealer who has one that I can see in action. I can see that picking the projector is going to be the toughest decision to make...

Before Doors...

After Doors...

Home Theater Entrance...

Radagast the Busy

post #30 of 198 Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like I will be suspending work on the home Theater and the Game Room/Bar area in the basement for at least 4-6 weeks. I've been sturgglinng with right leg sciatic pain since Chrstmas whick has slowed me up considerably. I will be undergoing back surgery to repair a herniated L5/S1 disk. A literal PITA.

So for the next 4-6 weeks while i'm lying in bed I will do loading sketchup and creating some 3d models of what the finished basement will look like when I finished. I'll share those when they are done. With all the wintery weather I think hell has frozen over but my HT still isn't done so I guess I'll have to use another witticism to describe my progress.

So, I will finish this before a black hole swallows the solar system....well maybe something else....

Radagast the Busy

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page