flush mount tv to drywall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello

I have a 52" LCD tv that I would like to mount into a drywall so that the front of the TV is flush with the wall or just 1.5 inch outside the drywall. Behind the drywall, I have my 2x4 studs and the other drywall of another room. So there is not much room.

I was planning on
1 - putting a hole in the drywall which is 1 inch bigger all around than the TV.
2 - cut the studs behind (just as much to fit the TV)
3 - put horizontal studs on the top and bottom to close out where the vertical studs were cut.
4 - mount the tv onto vertical plates that mount to the horizontal studs in item 3 above
5 - There will be a 1/2 inch gap behind the TV and the drywall of the room behind.
6 - I will put a wooden frame all around the TV on the drywall so that the front of the TV is flush with the front of the wooden frame.

Please see attached file. I am assuming that the heat from the TV will be dissipated into the gap that is in the middle of the two drywalls. Is this ok? There is no insulation inside this drywall.

Also, if anybody has seen such installs, how does it look.

Should I keep it simple and just wall mount it and live with the 5inches of the TV and 2.5 inches of the mount sticking out. Are there any mounts which keep the TV really close to the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 AM

Liked: 10
There are mounts that mount into the wall so that the TV is pretty flush to the wall.

http://www.mountsdirect.com//index.p...6b8ee4caf57878
post #3 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
My idea was to make the wall flush with the front of the TV. Those mounts will make the rear of the TV flush to the wall. I guess that is better than having the TV protrude out 8 inches.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Your idea could lead to trouble on a number of fronts:

1. if you cut studs in a wall, you are compromising the structural integrity of the wall. Yes, you can create "headers" to compensate, but it still seems questionable.

2. wiring for electrical might be a bit prickly from a code-compliance standpoint; you are not allowed to have stranded AC wiring inside a wall, but your whole assembly is inside a wall... hmmm

3. heat buildup - with the display enclosed in a wall like this, it will not be given proper ventilation, this may seriously impair the longevity of your set.

post #5 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is the wall a load bearing wall? If so cutting the studs out would be a bad thing! You would need to properly support each side of the wall first, then rebuild that portion of the wall properly with a header to carry the load to jack studs.

In addition how is the TV going to vent if it is stuffed in the wall? You will need to think about that as well.

EDIT: Apparently I was typing at the same time as KingLeer.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 AM

And then you have to hope there isn't wiring or something in the wall right where you cut your hole.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Why not build a false wall around it? It's more work but you won't lose the structural integrity of the wall. Or you could build it into a picture frame(buy some molding and put it around it). Also a problem with making it flush with your regular drywall, is what happens when you want to upgrade to a bigger tv?
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM

I agree with the above posters. While I absolutely think this project is do-able, I believe that doing it correctly will require some research and be a lot more involved that one would think.

I'm not a carpenter, though there are several on the forum and probably reading this. I would guess that even if the wall isn't a bearing wall , you will need to pull drywall floor to ceiling and insert a proper header, king studs etc.. The 120 volt and low voltage connections aren't that big of a deal. Bring both up from the bottom. Cut in a jem box for each into the sill facing up from the sill of your tv opening. Leave yourself enough room for the wiring by leaving the sill down 2 or 3 inches from the top of the drywall under the tv. If overheating is a concern, consider designing your header so that air can move through it (either oversizing and drilling holes, or leaving an air gap in the center.) Then you could install a return air grill on the wall at the ceiling to allow passive convection to cool the equipment.

Anyway....... I didn't mean to get so long winded with that, and I don't claim this to be some kind of ultimate design for your situation. That's just off the top of my head ad probably missing a lot. I just wanted to illustrate how complicated I believe the scope really will be if done correctly. Several other options would be A LOT less effort and are already mentioned above.

If you do decide to go ahead with this please post pictures, etc. It will be very interesting to follow.

Rob

Marks Brothers Electrical Contractors LLC.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 PM

While I didn't build my TV into the wall, I did kind of do what sumavguy said. I have a tri-level house, so I had a ledge that I had to build around anyway, so I recessed the TV opening (with extra space all the way around just in case I want to go bigger). The recess is about 4 inches deeper than the outside wall, and with my monoprice mount, my 50" Pioneer Plasma only sticks out about 1" past the wall, plus I have received many compliments about the way it "frames in" my TV. I am including a picture so you can get an idea.

Eric

post #10 of 10 Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Totally do-able. The only thing I would worry about would be the heat build up.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page