What is the best microfiber dust wiping cloth for Home Theater equipments? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To wipe off dust from receiver, TV stand, subwoofer, speakers, game consoles, dvd player etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Any of them?

post #3 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 AM

Go to a source with car waxing microfibers such as Autogeek.com. They have really soft ones that will not scratch the surfaces. If you don't care about microscratches, just buy something at Walmart.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 AM

I use a Swiffer Duster for all my electronic equipment. You can get 'em anywhere...Walmart etc.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I use the Pledge the dust wipes, I've used them to wipe down my RP LCD, and bedroom flat panel for a number of years now and an issue. If I am wiping the screen I start there though so I don't pick nothing up along the way beforehand.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Love my Photodon microfibre cloths!

http://www.photodon.com/
post #7 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhewie View Post

car waxing microfibers such as Autogeek.com. They have really soft ones that will not scratch the surfaces.

Yes I want to prevent microscratches, lint and streaks. So could you give me the link to these soft car waxing microfibers, please? I am really interested, but I can't find them on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I use the Pledge the dust wipes, I've used them to wipe down my RP LCD, and bedroom flat panel for a number of years now and an issue. If I am wiping the screen I start there though so I don't pick nothing up along the way beforehand.

These ones? http://www.pledge.com/grab-it/
post #8 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The dry ones of course, but yes those or they have some orange scented ones the Mrs. likes to buy which have always been fine as well.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I use Microfibers from Murray's / O'Reilly's Auto Stores. $2.99. If it is good enough for my prized Porsche Carrera 4S paint, it would do good for your HT Equipment. Good idea. I have 20-30 of them. I'll have to grab one for my theater room!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Are the Cobra brand towel/Cloths good? I am asking because I see that they are made in China/Korea...
post #11 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM

I sent you a link: www.danase.com. They have great towels.

I actually had the other one wrong. It's www.autogeek.net. They have good ones too. But I have them from the other site for my cars and they are great.

The test for quality microfiber is to take it and wipe a CD with it while dry.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I sent you a link: www.danase.com. They have great towels.

I actually had the other one wrong. It's www.autogeek.net. They have good ones too. But I have them from the other site for my cars and they are great.

The test for quality microfiber is to take it and wipe a CD with it while dry.

Thanks! Which one should I get though? There is the Danase Phat Towel, the Danase Buff Microfiber Towel and the Danase Extreme Plush Towel.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 PM

Since they are so close in price, really any of them would be good. The Phat has long fibers, the Buff is short, and the Extreme has long on one side and short on the other. Long fibers are best for wiping away dirt without scratching, so if you are using it on dusty surfaces, the Phat would probably be a good choice. Or the Extreme so you have both.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Since they are so close in price, really any of them would be good. The Phat has long fibers, the Buff is short, and the Extreme has long on one side and short on the other. Long fibers are best for wiping away dirt without scratching, so if you are using it on dusty surfaces, the Phat would probably be a good choice. Or the Extreme so you have both.

Thanks, I'll get the Phat. One last question though, since you seem to know these fairly well, I wondering if they suffer from the same problem that plagues the Cobra Shamrock microfibers towels as seen here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclestu View Post

When I placed a very large order ($1500.00) this summer among the things that I ordered were the Shamrock m/f towels. I have not had the pleasure of using them until recently and found them to shed. No problem, I thought , they just need to be washed to knock out any loose fibers. Well after three or four washings with the microfiber rejuvenating detergent I find that they are still shedding & dusting. I am using FK425 as a QD specifically for its dust repelling quality and I have been very satisfied with it. When ever I have the dis-pleasure using these shamrock m/f towels to QD my beautiful black Porsche it looks as if it has been visited by a leprechaun. These shamrocks leave a trail of green dust all over the car.
Is there anyone else having similar problems with their shamrocks or am I the only one not feeling the LUCK OF THE IRISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackout View Post

I AGREE!
When I got my shamrocks from the BOGO, I loved them when they came out of the box. But after a wash with the MF cleaning detergent, they lead HUNDREDS of little green hairs on the paint wherever you wipe.Trust us, we love our black cars. We can see every tiny spec of dust or SHAMROCK HAIR that gets on the paint. Only solution that somewhat worked was QD with another quality MF wherever the shamrock hairs are. Overall, I like the shamrock but its a P-I-T-A!

Since both the Cobra Shamrock and the Danase Phat use the same design of long fluff fibers, did you face similar problem with the Danase Phat Towel?
post #15 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 PM

First, there's way to much thought going into this question. Lol

I use a small California mop. The larger ones are used on cars. They have the long handles with red colored mop strands that are treated with a polish that attracts dust.
You want to use a new one for a while to wear off the polish residue. Otherwise the first few times you use it you'll leave some polish streaks behind.
They last forever and every now and then you just bang it out outside.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 AM

I haven't had any problem with shedding/linting on quality microfibers like these. Maybe a couple stray fibers the first time you use it, but that's it. Maybe the Cobras mentioned were a knock off.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page