post #3061 of 3081 Old 05-29-2014, 03:37 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

I distribute all the video over a single cat5 and use component video baluns. This has worked out great over the years.

Have you noticed any issues with certain source components, like cable boxes, "de-res" the component video output from full 1080p down to 480p due to the AACS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3081 Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Have you noticed any issues with certain source components, like cable boxes, "de-res" the component video output from full 1080p down to 480p due to the AACS?

No. I've never noticed it.
post #3063 of 3081 Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio panel thickness..

Hi mcascio ,

Its a great build, very inspirational. I'm doing a HT build right now & using 1/2 MDF for the base (wainscoting). How much thickness is your audio panels above? Does it project outside than the wainscoting? I coudnt able to find any OC703 in 1/2 inch thickness. Will it look ok if upper part of the wall protrudes out than the wainscot?

Thanks,
SS
post #3064 of 3081 Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshivaraman View Post
Hi mcascio ,

Its a great build, very inspirational. I'm doing a HT build right now & using 1/2 MDF for the base (wainscoting). How much thickness is your audio panels above? Does it project outside than the wainscoting? I coudnt able to find any OC703 in 1/2 inch thickness. Will it look ok if upper part of the wall protrudes out than the wainscot?

Thanks,
SS
I used 3/4" MDF for the lower portion of the wall. The fabric panels were also 3/4" thick so it worked out perfect for me. Any reason not to go with 3/4" MDF? I think it'll make life easier if you are building fabric frames for the upper portion. 1/2" panels may be flimsy and hard to get them straight.

If your upper wall does protrude and you are doing a chair rail, just add a 1/4" filler behind your chair rail. I don't think anyone would notice.

Hope that helps.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3065 of 3081 Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post
I used 3/4" MDF for the lower portion of the wall. The fabric panels were also 3/4" thick so it worked out perfect for me. Any reason not to go with 3/4" MDF? I think it'll make life easier if you are building fabric frames for the upper portion. 1/2" panels may be flimsy and hard to get them straight.

If your upper wall does protrude and you are doing a chair rail, just add a 1/4" filler behind your chair rail. I don't think anyone would notice.

Hope that helps.
Is that thick enough to do acoustic panels on the walls, or just for fabric only panels?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #3066 of 3081 Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Is that thick enough to do acoustic panels on the walls, or just for fabric only panels?

I used denim on my walls instead of OC703. The denim was labeled as 1" thick but was actually 3/4". I believe, but you'll want to double check, that if you go with 1" OC703 that it may actually be 1". So I think others have to plan for that and build it out using furring strips.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3067 of 3081 Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I used denim on my walls instead of OC703. The denim was labeled as 1" thick but was actually 3/4". I believe, but you'll want to double check, that if you go with 1" OC703 that it may actually be 1". So I think others have to plan for that and build it out using furring strips.
Thank you for your reply. Where did you get the denim from?
post #3068 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshivaraman View Post
Thank you for your reply. Where did you get the denim from?
Sorry for the late reply. I can't recall the name of the company off the top of my head, but I think if you search this thread for the word denim, you'll probably find the company name since I mentioned it here to others.
post #3069 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
i hate to say but i know this thread to well

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by FortKnUX 

Mario, did you buy the denim online?  If so, do you happen to have the link by any chance?  I am too having less than an inch clearance for the fabric depth and all I can find is over 1" of thickness. 

Also, have you ever found an optimal positioning for your subs?  I heard people try to put them back to back centered behind the screen shooting to the sides, that supposedly equally fills the room with the sound given you installed the traps on all 4 corners. 

thanks!

I bought the recycled denim through http://www.vyron.com/ (Brookfield, Wi Branch) - ask for Tim Barham.
It's their Ecosheild Titus product I believe.

Although, I would check a local Menards. I thought they started carrying a similar product.

Note, the specs on the denim says that it is 1", but in fact in my case, it was actually 3/4".

Every room will perform different with the subs and their locations, but there are some recommendations posted on the web. In my case, I have them all up front. I have yet to officially test turning them in or rotating them to see how that affects the room. It would probably be a good test. The HSU is a real bear though to move in and out so I haven't worked up the energy to move it since initially setting it into the upper corner cabinet.
post #3070 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mario, looking at your columns on Post #1578 , did you use any primer or another type of filler for the rough cut ends of your MDF corners?

Thanks!
post #3071 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
i hate to say but i know this thread to well
No foul there.

Thanks for tracking the information down.
snickers1 likes this.
post #3072 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
Mario, looking at your columns on Post #1578 , did you use any primer or another type of filler for the rough cut ends of your MDF corners?

Thanks!
Yes - I'm pretty sure I walked through the steps in the thread somewhere...Snickers probably knows exactly where.

But essentially I used MH Ready Patch, Bin Zinnser Primer and various grits of sand paper.
post #3073 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Yes - I'm pretty sure I walked through the steps in the thread somewhere...Snickers probably knows exactly where.

But essentially I used MH Ready Patch, Bin Zinnser Primer and various grits of sand paper.
LOL!!! I don't have to look that one up i lived it first hand .... i followed the same steps except i used i think something called sand and sealer ... mdf is so very easy to sand and round the rough edges
just make sure to wear a mask that stuff is nasty

Last edited by snickers1; 07-31-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #3074 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
LOL!!! I don't have to look that one up i lived it first hand .... i followed the same steps except i used i think something called sand and sealer ... mdf is so very easy to sand and round the rough edges
Snickers, that's hilarious. Thanks Fellas!
snickers1 likes this.
post #3075 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I've very blatantly copied off of Mario's work. His subs, his theater (thought I've clearly copied Snickers stage and other items as well)

I appreciate you guys leading the trail for us. I'm going to be putting up the exact same telescope velvet that Mario used on my ceiling above the screen and along my screen wall. I just need to put a plaque with Cinemar with a line through it and my theater name up somewhere.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #3076 of 3081 Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I've very blatantly copied off of Mario's work. His subs, his theater (thought I've clearly copied Snickers stage and other items as well)

I appreciate you guys leading the trail for us. I'm going to be putting up the exact same telescope velvet that Mario used on my ceiling above the screen and along my screen wall. I just need to put a plaque with Cinemar with a line through it and my theater name up somewhere.
Be sure to let me know if you see a difference with the black material above above the screen. I've contemplated doing it, but I'd have to get creative with mounting it so it looks decent with the lights on.
post #3077 of 3081 Old 08-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Mario, did you put the crushed velvet everywhere up front or did you use a mixture of the Telescope material and the velvet? Which did you like better? Is one better at 90 degrees to the screen and another better line line with the screen?

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #3078 of 3081 Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mario, did you put the crushed velvet everywhere up front or did you use a mixture of the Telescope material and the velvet? Which did you like better? Is one better at 90 degrees to the screen and another better line line with the screen?
Hi Jeff,

I put the triple plush black velvet on the area behind the screen.
I used the telescope material on the area below the screen that happens to also be the top for the cabinet and the sides of the cabinet that go floor to ceiling.

Oddly enough, the triple plush black velvet looks much blacker with the lights on than the telescope material. But to my advantage, the telescope material looks like the same color as my black paint. So it worked out perfectly.

It's been a while since I looked, but I believe the telescope material absorbs the light a little better than the triple plush velvet when turn out the lights and the projector is on reflecting off the screen.
post #3079 of 3081 Old 08-10-2014, 05:54 AM

Mario, where did you get the cleats for your screen? Menards? How many did you use and how long were they?

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #3080 of 3081 Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mario, where did you get the cleats for your screen? Menards? How many did you use and how long were they?
The hangman cleats came with the Seymour screen. I believe they looked like something you could pick up at Menard's or Lowes though. It's been a while, but I think there were 2 cleats about 18" long each.
post #3081 of 3081 Old 08-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The hangman cleats came with the Seymour screen. I believe they looked like something you could pick up at Menard's or Lowes though. It's been a while, but I think there were 2 cleats about 18" long each.
Thanks Mario

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page