AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Mario,

Terrific job on the raised garden! So where will the outdoor speakers go?
Funny you should say that. I have to have the lower speakers cranked in order to hear them while I was working on the garden. I may actually split off some of my existing speakers and trench it to the garden so I can mount some nearby.

Has anyone found led ribbons that can connect to low voltage landscape lights? It would be nice to add some lighting on the inside of the garden space underneath the cleats for some accent lighting. Not really functional for gardening at night but would look cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3106 Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post
Thanks. I've thought about one in the past...but really am trying to limit anything that adds maintenance to my life.
just need to clone yourself and then automate him just make sure you create the stay away from the wife "variable" LOL!!!!
mcascio likes this.
post #3093 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I would love to do something like that. I stole your theater ideas my as well steall this as well. do you have detailed plans you drew up and a bill of materiels?
post #3094 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 995
What did you finish the wood with ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3095 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
I would love to do something like that. I stole your theater ideas my as well steall this as well. do you have detailed plans you drew up and a bill of materiels?
I just have the 3d model which doesn't provide any type of printed plan with dimensions.

It's pretty simple though. There are 4 beds that are 4x8 on the corners, then connect them using 10' - 2x6 Cedar.

I used 2x4 for the cleats and 2x6 cedar for the top ledges.

I have about 30 receipts from the project over the course of building it. If I had to guess, it was probably around $2500. Most of that being the Cedar. It probably took a month and a half working a few hours a day and on all day on the weekends.
post #3096 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Beautiful work, Mario! Looks like furniture-quality craftsmanship... certainly the nicest gardening beds I've ever seen!

Might need to think about something to scare the deer away. If they're like our "forest rats", they'll likely get pretty bold when they see and smell the delicious things in your garden... Maybe a motion detector that fires off a sprinkler (or something else that's loud and startling) at night...
Mfusick likes this.
post #3097 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
What did you finish the wood with ?
I used Thompson's Waterseal Transparent Woodland Cedar stain. It took about 2 gallons using an HVLP sprayer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thompson-...1-16/204804191
post #3098 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
Beautiful work, Mario! Looks like furniture-quality craftsmanship... certainly the nicest gardening beds I've ever seen!

Might need to think about something to scare the deer away. If they're like our "forest rats", they'll likely get pretty bold when they see and smell the delicious things in your garden... Maybe a motion detector that fires off a sprinkler (or something else that's loud and startling) at night...
Thanks. It was fun to build. I broke out the Kreg Jig for the 2x6 top ledges and sanded the entire thing down to a smooth finish. So it did feel like I was building furniture.
I may add a bench next year to the center with a flip open seat to store some tools and buckets for transporting the vegetables back into the house.

I like your idea. I could add a motion detector and trigger the sprinklers around the outside of the beds like you suggested if the deer do become an issue.
post #3099 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I used Thompson's Waterseal Transparent Woodland Cedar stain. It took about 2 gallons using an HVLP sprayer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thompson-...1-16/204804191
What sprayer you use? I'm in the market for one that can throw stain and clear on wood...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3100 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What sprayer you use? I'm in the market for one that can throw stain and clear on wood...
I bought this kit:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-HVL...00SG/203497812
post #3101 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Like it? Recommend ?

-

post #3102 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Like it? Recommend ?
I really have nothing to compare it to since it was the first time using it. I did have to get pretty close to the wood or it would just vaporize into the air before hitting the wood.
It also helps if you do it during the day when you can see. Also, my first coat I applied before a chilly night and the next morning the stain hadn't taken yet do to the morning dew. I got nervous and wiped a section with a cloth and it messed it up even more. The lesson is to just leave it and let it dry.

I applied two coats. I noticed it was splotchy until I came back around with the second coat a few days later.

If I had to do it over, I might have just gone with a transparent stain without any color additives to make it seem more natural. Still happy with the results though.
post #3103 of 3106 Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bright daylight or stupid excessive lights in garage are a must if spraying. Yes. I've used a lot of cheap HVLP guns but I am looking for one that is good for stain and wood clear, The harbor freight ones are cheap.

Ideally I'd like disposable cups I think. That seems nice.

-

post #3104 of 3106 Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Yup. Still the game plan. Already own all of it at this point except I haven't taken delivery of the screen yet. I may opt for 136" instead of 140". I'll be making that decision soon before beginning the front screen wall construction.
Are you happy to have gone with the 136" wide vs 140" (or even something else)?

My front row eye's will be right about the same distance as yours, and I am tempted to push as large as possible and go with a 140" wide screen... Do you find from the front row the 136" width screen is too wide, too narrow, or 'just right'?

I have taped up a 130" wide screen on my wall, and it doesn't "Feel" all that big, so, I think I want to go bigger - so, just hoping to get your perspective.

Also, with the Seymour screen at that distance, do you see any of the weave or anything? I have seen a few places saying the Falcon screen weave is slightly tighter and from 'very close' you can see the Seymour weave a tiny bit more.
post #3105 of 3106 Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Are you happy to have gone with the 136" wide vs 140" (or even something else)?

My front row eye's will be right about the same distance as yours, and I am tempted to push as large as possible and go with a 140" wide screen... Do you find from the front row the 136" width screen is too wide, too narrow, or 'just right'?

I have taped up a 130" wide screen on my wall, and it doesn't "Feel" all that big, so, I think I want to go bigger - so, just hoping to get your perspective.

Also, with the Seymour screen at that distance, do you see any of the weave or anything? I have seen a few places saying the Falcon screen weave is slightly tighter and from 'very close' you can see the Seymour weave a tiny bit more.
I'd recommend going as big as you can. You could always add masking if you decided to make it smaller but it's impossible to go bigger after the fact. I don't feel like the image is too big in the front row. I think initially it takes a little bit to get used to, but I really love how the image just immerses you in the front row.
I can't see any weave in the screen from the front row.
post #3106 of 3106 Old 10-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I'd recommend going as big as you can. You could always add masking if you decided to make it smaller but it's impossible to go bigger after the fact. I don't feel like the image is too big in the front row. I think initially it takes a little bit to get used to, but I really love how the image just immerses you in the front row.
I can't see any weave in the screen from the front row.
I agree with Mario. I copied alot of his theater and my seating distances are about the same has his. I had my SMX screen as a carryover from my last theater and it is 138" wide. It took about 1-2 movies before I adjusted to the screen, since I was about 2-3 feet farther back in my original set up (that I had for 5 years)

I had a friend set up his theater and he went with a screen and I encouraged him to go larger. He felt it was large enough....3 months after he was up and running he wishes he went bigger. To Mario's point, you can always mask it down

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page