Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #3151 of 3158 Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I had a chance to try some things out this weekend.

I actually ended up leaving my existing M&K SS-150's (Set them up in Dipole mode now) in the side columns and still using them as Top Fronts and Top Rears but also added some Tannoy Di 5DC as Top Fronts and located them in the soffit and bouncing off the ceiling. With just the Tannoy's (before Audyssey calibration) the sound seemed like it was coming from the Tannoy's but with both the M&K and Tannoy's together in different locations, the white noise sound seemed more difficult to localize. So I rolled with this setup (using the pre-amp outputs to power the extra speakers). With just the M&K's on the outside walls it was really nice, but I didn't get the sense that fly overs were actually above me. But with both sets of speakers, I felt surround sounds were wrapping around the room and above me.

With this setup, the Tannoy speakers are barely visible in the soffit. But I'm still curious if the experience will be any different with them point right at the MLP and not bouncing off the ceiling. So I plan to rig something in each corner temporarily to see if I can tell any difference. This would mean the speakers would be visible so I'm hoping I don't notice much of a sound difference so I'm can go back to plan A with them hidden.

I ordered another pair for placement in the soffit for Top Rears. I think this will mostly benefit the front row since it's just in front of the back row. But I think with the current M&K's behind the rear row assigned as Top Rear, they will still enjoy the experience.

Last edited by mcascio; 12-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3158 Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wanted to throw you a PM Mario, but I'm a pleb here on the forums. Feel free to ax this message once you've read it!

I finally made it through your epic build thread, and I was amazed that it's still active after all this time!

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to put together such an incredible build thread! Your home embodies all of the qualities that I am looking to make for myself and my wife when we purchase a house. I grew up in Marinette WI and will hopefully be moving back from Saint Louis at some point in my life, the people in Wisconsin are just nicer it seems.

I wanted to ask you about your Cinemar software and what language it's programmed in. I'm a computer science major who never got to use any programming once I needed to start earning a living after school. I'm looking to add some skills to my resume, and it would be perfect if they just happened to give me an advantage with your ecosystem for home automation.

Thank you again for being so detailed and congratulations on your home theater. Truly something to be proud of.

-Danimal
cowger likes this.
post #3153 of 3158 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Danimal.

Thanks for the compliments. You've got mail.
post #3154 of 3158 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mario,
Did you comment somewhere in your massive thread about doing OSB and drywall vs two layers of drywall? I remember reading something about the OSB and the issues you had with the cutout area in the ceiling, but what about the rest of the room?
post #3155 of 3158 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit: Oops, double post.

Last edited by aakrusen; Yesterday at 09:57 PM. Reason: See above
post #3156 of 3158 Old Today, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
Mario,
Did you comment somewhere in your massive thread about doing OSB and drywall vs two layers of drywall? I remember reading something about the OSB and the issues you had with the cutout area in the ceiling, but what about the rest of the room?
I'd highly recommend using OSB and drywall. Makes it extremely easy for attaching objects to the walls/ceilings since you don't have to look for studs especially for me when I did all the mouldings.

At first I was worried because the OSB in the soffit that cantilevered into the room wasn't straight...but we added some 2x4s to the edges and connected them altogether to fix that.
post #3157 of 3158 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I used OSB for the first layer of my soffits, but 2 layers of drywall for everything else. Putting crown up on the soffits was super easy. Hanging stuff on the walls (in my case my surround speakers and acoustical panels are surface mounted) meant using toggle bolts. They work and hold well, but aren't the most "accurate" since you have to drill a larger than needed hole which can make it a little more difficult to get things level. Not "hard" but it is another step later.

Going back, I would look hard at doing OSB for the first layer. Yes, you can't use a roto-zip for cutting out outlets and such, but being able to put screws in wherever you wanted for the 2nd layer would have been nice (instead of having to make sure that you lined up perfectly with where your 1st layer screwed in to your channel or studs (staggered or double wall).
post #3158 of 3158 Old Today, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Going back, I would look hard at doing OSB for the first layer. Yes, you can't use a roto-zip for cutting out outlets and such, but being able to put screws in wherever you wanted for the 2nd layer would have been nice (instead of having to make sure that you lined up perfectly with where your 1st layer screwed in to your channel or studs (staggered or double wall).
You still need to hit studs or channel for the second/third layers of drywall even if you do OSB as your first. Otherwise you are hanging all those extra layers off one set of screws and they are not meant to handel that much wight. .

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems