The Cinemar Home Theater Construction Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
post #3241 of 3267 Old 10-20-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I figured that you were doing that for a specific reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3267 Old 11-12-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Side Project Alert!

I'd been looking to solve a problem in our basement living room area where we didn't have any end tables to put drinks on because of our L-shaped couch.

I wanted something that could sit on the Ottoman as well as the couch.

I had looked around for serving trays to set on our Ottoman but none of them had cup holders that I could find.
Our carpet is pretty think so having some type of standing tray that slides under the couch wasn't viable nor attractive to me.

I decided to put my woodworking to task again and came up with this design. It holds up to 4 drinks which is perfect for socializing. The center area can hold magazines or a full size dinner plate or handy for a friendly game of dice. There is a lip around the top to help contain any spills.
There are recessed areas on the sides to allow your hand to slip under the tray and pick it up easily.

Just about done with the sanding and then it will be ready for stain. I'm happy with the results and anxious to put it to work.

Gary Lightfoot and cowger like this.

Last edited by mcascio; 11-12-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #3243 of 3267 Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Great job, I really like it, very practical...... but the beers should be open
bpassman likes this.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #3244 of 3267 Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Mario,

Nice side project - I like it!!
Good to see you posting with some new activity. I hope this finds all is well?

Craig

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #3245 of 3267 Old 11-12-2015, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All in good time. All in good time.
Waterboy77 likes this.
post #3246 of 3267 Old 11-12-2015, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Mario,

Nice side project - I like it!!
Good to see you posting with some new activity. I hope this finds all is well?

Craig
Thanks Craig.

Not as big a project as the home theater, but fun for the weekend! Hope all is well with you too!
post #3247 of 3267 Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Amazing Theater!

One question- I noticed that you used Insteon for your lighting system. I too am planning on using Insteon, and was wondering if you can share (or point me to where you have already posted) some insight as to what switches you used, and where all the switches ended up? Did you hard-wire everything, and use the micro dimmer modules? Do you have a giant switch box in another room with a bunch of the big dimmers in it?
post #3248 of 3267 Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Looks good. I like this idea.

Quote:
You mean . . . the beers should be better.
BllDo likes this.
post #3249 of 3267 Old 11-13-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

LOL.... I wasn't going there but its better that a wine spritzer

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #3250 of 3267 Old 11-13-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Amazing Theater!

One question- I noticed that you used Insteon for your lighting system. I too am planning on using Insteon, and was wondering if you can share (or point me to where you have already posted) some insight as to what switches you used, and where all the switches ended up? Did you hard-wire everything, and use the micro dimmer modules? Do you have a giant switch box in another room with a bunch of the big dimmers in it?
Hi. I ended up having one dimmer in the theater foyer. There are a total of 6 switches in the theater. As you enter the theater there are 2 switches. 1 KeypadLinc 8 button (INSTEON 2334-226) and 1 Dimmer (INSTEON 2477DBK). Then just on the opposite wall there are 4 Dimmers (INSTEON 2477DBK). I've attached a diagram that I had created back then.

EDIT: I noticed I had diverted slightly from this plan moving the sconces to be controlled instead of the cans as you enter. So I swapped E and F.

nandkisham likes this.
post #3251 of 3267 Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Looks good. I like this idea.

I just didn't want to risk destroying a good beer during the prototype testing phase.
NickTheGreat likes this.
post #3252 of 3267 Old 11-13-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Side Project Alert!

I'd been looking to solve a problem in our basement living room area where we didn't have any end tables to put drinks on because of our L-shaped couch.

I wanted something that could sit on the Ottoman as well as the couch.

I had looked around for serving trays to set on our Ottoman but none of them had cup holders that I could find.
Our carpet is pretty think so having some type of standing tray that slides under the couch wasn't viable nor attractive to me.

I decided to put my woodworking to task again and came up with this design. It holds up to 4 drinks which is perfect for socializing. The center area can hold magazines or a full size dinner plate or handy for a friendly game of dice. There is a lip around the top to help contain any spills.
There are recessed areas on the sides to allow your hand to slip under the tray and pick it up easily.

Just about done with the sanding and then it will be ready for stain. I'm happy with the results and anxious to put it to work.
I like it. I enjoy finding little custom projects like these. I'm looking forward to getting my theater finished off so I can relax a bit and focus on stuff like this for a while. Take care.

James

My theater build 2015 (Circle N theater)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #3253 of 3267 Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro28 View Post
I like it. I enjoy finding little custom projects like these. I'm looking forward to getting my theater finished off so I can relax a bit and focus on stuff like this for a while. Take care.
Thanks. It is nice having smaller projects liek these that only span days rather than months/years.
post #3254 of 3267 Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stumbled upon these sunglass cords at Dollar Tree and they work great for keeping 3D glasses on smaller children.
Worked even for my 4 yr old. My 8 yr old wears glasses so it's tough for her to keep the 3D glasses from sliding down to the tip of her nose so we'll be trying it on her glasses next.

Much more affordable than buying the Panasonic kids 3D glasses.

Initially I picked up black, but will be swapping them for the yellow which will make the glasses the kids are wearing a little easier to find in the dark theater.

post #3255 of 3267 Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Mario,
I finished my quasi Cinemar clone room and posted it HERE. Thanks for the inspiration and support.

On a site note, did you have to add a separate repeater for the 3D glasses, or do they sync easily to the projector?

Panny AE8000U
Seymour AV Screen F100 with UF
Onkyo TX-NR809
Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RC-64, RF-35, RCW-3, R-2650-W, RW-12d (2x)
Theater Room Build
post #3256 of 3267 Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Edit: I don't know why it posted my comment twice

Mario,
I finished my quasi Cinemar clone room and posted it HERE. Thanks for the inspiration and support.

On a site note, did you have to add a separate repeater for the 3D glasses, or do they sync easily to the projector?

Panny AE8000U
Seymour AV Screen F100 with UF
Onkyo TX-NR809
Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RC-64, RF-35, RCW-3, R-2650-W, RW-12d (2x)
Theater Room Build
post #3257 of 3267 Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
Edit: I don't know why it posted my comment twice

Mario,

Great job as I just posted in your thread!

The 3D glasses work fine by bouncing off the screen. Actually, it's so powerful that it essentially prevents any IR remotes from passing my signals back to my rack for my devices. I may have to eventually move my IR receiver that is below the screen somewhere else to see if I can get them to work at the same time when watching 3D movies.

BTW, for some reason, every time I post it seems to want to post it twice too.
post #3258 of 3267 Old 01-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Mario-

One more question. I love the upper ceiling paint color you used, which appears to be Benjamin Moore Starry Night Blue (according to your paint color/swatch image). However, the Starry night Blue I am seeing looks to be quite a bright blue color, while your ceiling (at least in the pictures) is much darker/more subdued. Is this simply because of a lack of direct lighting and the flatness of the paint? Or am I seeing some color that is not the same as yours? (To see the brighter color I mention, just do a google search for "Benjamin Moore Starry Night")
post #3259 of 3267 Old 01-11-2016, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Mario-

One more question. I love the upper ceiling paint color you used, which appears to be Benjamin Moore Starry Night Blue (according to your paint color/swatch image). However, the Starry night Blue I am seeing looks to be quite a bright blue color, while your ceiling (at least in the pictures) is much darker/more subdued. Is this simply because of a lack of direct lighting and the flatness of the paint? Or am I seeing some color that is not the same as yours? (To see the brighter color I mention, just do a google search for "Benjamin Moore Starry Night")
Yes. That is the same color. I think like you mentioned, because most of my lights are cans (around the perimeter), there really isn't anything to light it up. If I turn on my sconces or the soffit lighting then it brightens up.
post #3260 of 3267 Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Yes. That is the same color. I think like you mentioned, because most of my lights are cans (around the perimeter), there really isn't anything to light it up. If I turn on my sconces or the soffit lighting then it brightens up.
Good to know. In my case, my upper ceiling has the can lights (they can't go in the soffit due to HVAC ducts, etc.. and a tighter space than your theater room), so the ceiling and inside of the soffit will likely be exposed to a bit more light (that being said, the can trims are black, and they are flood bulbs pointed down). It looks like there is a shade darker of the same color called "Midnight Navy." I think I'll get a sample of each and may end up going with the darker shade due to the nearness of my lights.
post #3261 of 3267 Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey Mario, just wanted to extend another thank you for putting together an amazing theater and even more for the documentation you have provided. I was directed here after seeing dlbeck's Savoy theater. He says your theater was one of the motivations for his. Reading through this thread has really helped me with ideas and construction tips.

I just moved into a new house and about to start the design phase. I use Blender3d for 3d modeling and rendering, my lighting won't be nearly as accurate as yours but at least I'll have a general idea of size and how it will look when I'm done. Anyways, big thanks again.
post #3262 of 3267 Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 124
One question. What is the material in front of the first riser that is between the stage and riser? Is it just wood or is it acoustic treatment. Sorry but every time I see it I wonder about it so have to ask.

I'm only about half through the thread so carpet not even down yet for me lol.
post #3263 of 3267 Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
Hey Mario, just wanted to extend another thank you for putting together an amazing theater and even more for the documentation you have provided. I was directed here after seeing dlbeck's Savoy theater. He says your theater was one of the motivations for his. Reading through this thread has really helped me with ideas and construction tips.

I just moved into a new house and about to start the design phase. I use Blender3d for 3d modeling and rendering, my lighting won't be nearly as accurate as yours but at least I'll have a general idea of size and how it will look when I'm done. Anyways, big thanks again.
You are very welcome.

I appreciate your comments.

I'm glad you found the thread helpful.

It was a fun project. Having the ability to do 3D before the build will be a big advantage...I probably wouldn't have been able to tackle it otherwise or be nearly as efficient once the build started.

Good luck on your build.
post #3264 of 3267 Unread Today, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
One question. What is the material in front of the first riser that is between the stage and riser? Is it just wood or is it acoustic treatment. Sorry but every time I see it I wonder about it so have to ask.

I'm only about half through the thread so carpet not even down yet for me lol.
Not quite sure which section you are referring to. But the steps are all wood. Then there is a carpeted section on the floor.
post #3265 of 3267 Unread Today, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not quite sure which section you are referring to. But the steps are all wood. Then there is a carpeted section on the floor.
It just looks like a dampening material or something where I'm at in your thread. Right in front of the stage (about 3-4') then a few more feet where carpet would go then their is your first row. It's black in the photos. I'll link a photo. Maybe it's just the lighting or material is painted or something.
post #3266 of 3267 Unread Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I found the picture I was talking about. I'm only on page 40 of your build.

The section that is deep right between the regular height flooring and the stage. Looks like it's built to house something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1629857  
post #3267 of 3267 Unread Today, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like 30lb felt paper or serenity mat to me