AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Any thoughts

Yeah. I'd still like to hear what Ted thinks on that one.

What's the technique for mounting outlets that need to go through the hat channel, clips DD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A bit more progress today.

These corner clamps were a great investment while building the backer boxes.

Finished putting the acoustic sealant all the around the theater.

Threw up a couple bags of R19 into the ceiling after putting 181 Metal Foil tape around the joints on the 6" ducts within the joists. I can tell I'm getting better air pressure in the rooms above because some of the vents with manual dampers actually rattled until I adjusted them slightly.

Wired for the network thermostat in the Theater Foyer and ran 18/2 into the theater for the thermostat sensor. Since the Prolphix thermostat makes a clicking noise when it turns on/off and there is no way to turn off the display, I opted to keep it outside the theater and will put a small thermostat sensor within the theater.

I caulked all the backer boxes with acoustic sealant and built one last backer box. I'll assemble it completely the next time we break out the Green Glue. Just need to add a lip to all the backer boxes so we'll have something to screw into.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

A bit more progress today.

These corner clamps were a great investment while building the backer boxes.

Finished putting the acoustic sealant all the around the theater.

Threw up a couple bags of R19 into the ceiling after putting 181 Metal Foil tape around the joints on the 6" ducts within the joists. I can tell I'm getting better air pressure in the rooms above because some of the vents with manual dampers actually rattled until I adjusted them slightly.

Wired for the network thermostat in the Theater Foyer and ran 18/2 into the theater for the thermostat sensor. Since the Prolphix thermostat makes a clicking noise when it turns on/off and there is no way to turn off the display, I opted to keep it outside the theater and will put a small thermostat sensor within the theater.

I caulked all the backer boxes with acoustic sealant and built one last backer box. I'll assemble it completely the next time we break out the Green Glue. Just need to add a lip to all the backer boxes so we'll have something to screw into.

Everything by the book, well done thus far, makes me want to tear my room down and do it the proper way.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Old 06-27-2011, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Chase. Hopefully sticking to the book gets the results I'm hoping for.

Been playing around with the front wall a bit. I think I'm leaning towards angling the front side cabinets at 45 degrees instead of straight.

Here are some renders.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

I actually really like the new renders. For your stage and steps, are they just gonna be solid wood or are you planning on putting carpet inserts in them?

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was planning on solid wood. Just seems to look cleaner. Although if the top step gets too much wider than a typical step, I may need to rethink it. Carpet may be better from a reflective stand point. But I may have to use a flat paint.

I was possibly thinking about doing the carpet in the very front of the room in black so the front of the room is really dark. Just worried about people missing that black step against the black carpet.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was planning on solid wood. Just seems to look cleaner. Although if the top step gets too much wider than a typical step, I may need to rethink it. Carpet may be better from a reflective stand point. But I may have to use a flat paint.

I was possibly thinking about doing the carpet in the very front of the room in black so the front of the room is really dark. Just worried about people missing that black step against the black carpet.

Just put rope lighting/accent lighting under lip of step or something.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chase,

I have a led light strip planned for that step but I don't think I'd want it on during movies. I've found the only way to dim these led light strips is using IR. I was hoping I could dim it using Insteon but it didn't work. Has anyone found colored LED strips that could be connected to a lamp module and become dimmable as well as allow for color changes?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Been playing around with the front wall a bit. I think I'm leaning towards angling the front side cabinets at 45 degrees instead of straight.

You know your theater is going to look exctly like mine I had the same plans on the angle as well as pretty much everything else...just different colors...it's kind of eery, like you're inside my head

Hey if you want to get real crazy you can even make renderings where your star ceiling is replaced with coffered ceilings
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm just "borrowing" from what others have done and making it work within my room.

What color scheme are you going with Larry? I just got my samples from Fabricmate so I'm hoping to narrow it down. I'm playing with the reds...but I keep going back to the original tan color scheme.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just playing around with the wall fabric and carpeting:

Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I vote tan walls black carpet, or red with black carpet. I'm not a fan of the tan carpet.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just "borrowing" from what others have done and making it work within my room.

What color scheme are you going with Larry? I just got my samples from Fabricmate so I'm hoping to narrow it down. I'm playing with the reds...but I keep going back to the original tan color scheme.

lol, I was thinking some sort of red as well, but I was going to go way from the black with red and keep the light color you have where the red is.

I'm afraid to paint black due to it scuffing everytime someone breathes near it
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That carpet is very cool...actual piece or a default carpet option?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I love the light walls but I wouldn't do it. I almost did light walls (but ended up dark because I thought the light color would be distracting. I think it would be a constant subconscious reminder that you are in a room with a screen rather than being in the movie. I was afraid the dark would be to cavelike but at the last minute we switched to dark grey and i never regretted it

Just a thought.

Greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry to say it, but i like the red!

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that's the carpet that Ruben (SandmanX) used in his home theater!

I'm a long time voyeur here, but I felt compelled to post to say that I love the work you're doing mcascio and I'm watching with great interest. I particularly like the detail of the renders that you've been doing and the experimentation with different looks.

I'd add a +1 vote for the red. However, it's a conflicted vote for the red, because I'm all for neutral colours... I'm just worried the "tan" is too light, and too much of a contrast to the black.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys for the comments. I guess I like the tan walls/tan carpet for more of a multipurpose room. But for movies, the Claret Accent Red seems like a good choice.

I'll have to do some test renders, but once I throw in the black chairs, the tan carpet may not seem so stark.

I guess with dark carpet, I could consider carpeting the stairs instead of wood treads.

coreying,
I'm honored to be your first post. Welcome to this thread and the forum. You are correct. While doing a search for the wall fabric it lead me to another thread which lead me to Ruben's carpet. Fortunately for me, the mfg of that carpet has a great website with seamless carpet images which makes it a snap to drop into the 3D software.

I've noticed the fabric sample images on the GOM website, at least the Claret Accent Red, don't quite match what my eye see's after getting the samples. I'll try to get a more accurate color representation by snapping my own photos of the samples.

Another reason I like the tan is it helps to add lines to the room. The all black seems to lose some of the detail...but I guess that's what you want in a theater.

Larry,

I love the coffered look in the ceiling, but I think I'm just going to stick with my original plan so I can more easily do the painted star ceiling. I'm currently planning on putting black velvet up there so hopefully it will look like a black hole in the ceiling.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
looks great!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mfusick.

Here are some more renders with the chairs in the room.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mfusick.

Here are some more renders with the chairs in the room.

I also vote for the Red and Black. Can you throw a render up with maybe a little darker tan color? IMO its to light for a HT room..

Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I guess I'm partial to red. It gives me the feeling of a space I would want to stay in for a good amount of time. The tan does the opposite for me.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

With those renders, I definitely prefer red and black :-P

What about tan walls with the black carpet?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
I guess I'm partial to red. It gives me the feeling of a space I would want to stay in for a good amount of time. The tan does the opposite for me.
Bingo

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Red and black give more a classic result

+1 for red & black
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

+1 for me. Love the tan but Red gives off more soothing vibe. It all depends what vibe it gives off for you....

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna come back to colors and carpet in a bit.

But before that, I still need to nail down column placement in the room while balancing acoustics, looks, real-estate, speaker placement, etc.

Here are two options...the first was my original plan, but once I added the 45 angled fronts, I thought it would be good to revisit adding them in the back as well. That would allow for some nice corner bass trapping and a little more space to walk in the room. My concern with the 2nd plan is that it would push the side surrounds pretty far behind the optimal listening position. I've heard directly to the side is preferred rather than farther back. In the Potential Plan - the columns are not evenly spaced either like they are in the Original Plan.

Any thoughts?

Original Plan:

Potential Plan - eliminates two columns and adds 45 angled columns in rear.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

What are you plan on doing for surround sound? You are showing wides and heights too from what I see? If so, you wouldn't need rears.

Can't remember, are you doing fabric panels up high on the walls? If so, you could just use inwalls for the rears behind the fabric panels.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm planning for 11.2 although I'll be starting with 9.2 with Highs or Wides since I have the Onkyo 3008. In that setup, the rears are being used.

I'm planning 1" OC behind the fabric on all the walls about 2'6" up from the floor.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Here are two options...the first was my original plan, but once I added the 45 angled fronts, I thought it would be good to revisit adding them in the back as well. That would allow for some nice corner bass trapping and a little more space to walk in the room. My concern with the 2nd plan is that it would push the side surrounds pretty far behind the optimal listening position. I've heard directly to the side is preferred rather than farther back. In the Potential Plan - the columns are not evenly spaced either like they are in the Original Plan.

I'm no acoustic expert, however it seems there is flexibility in the "standards"

Whilst DTS define that there is a set 90 degree for surrounds and 150 degree for rears they seem to be the only ones who are fixed.

Dolby on the other hand state that surrounds can be 90 to 110 degrees and that rears can be 135 to 150 degrees.

THX also allow flexibility in the sides of between 90 and 110 degrees. Although both their "old" 7.1 configuration and "TrueHD / MA 7.1 configuration" are different - but the new one being 150 degrees. It's represented as 60 degrees, but that's the angle between the speakers, rather than from the listeners perspective.

p.s. I'd paste the links to the sources of info from their respective sites, but I haven't made enough posts to use URL's yet! lol

Tags
Speaker Systems