I built my first fabric frame last night and started the 2nd.
I also wrapped the fabric around the patch panel door frame. If I had to do it over again and didn't have to rework the wall, I would have made the whole red fabric panel swing open instead of the two separate pieces. Would have been a cool hidden door too.
I didn't document the first frame I built, but did the 2nd that I started.
I primed the visible side of the 1x2 select pine with some dark gray primer.
Then glued and screwed together using the Kreg pocket jig.
Before assembly, I made sure to use the width of one of my right angle rulers. It's about an 1/8" wide. This makes sure the fabric will fit in to frame.
A test fit before applying the fabric. I found out that I won't be able to remove the fabric panels once the side column trim goes up. So I'll just need to make sure I install them before I get to that step of the project.
I used 1/2" 18 ga staples to attach the fabric with my Porter Cable gun. I ordered a Porter Cable Upholstery Stapler US58 but the staples hadn't arrived yet. The 18 ga I think is too risky on the edge of MDF, but seemed to work fine going into both Pine and Maple.
Here's the two fabric panels I finished.
The patch panel frame didn't work like I expected as far as wrapping the inside rectangle cutout. I'm thinking because I pulled the fabric tight to the frame, it didn't allow me to get the fabric bank into the inside corners. So you can see some of the exposed wood. I'll have to pick up some 3/4" outside corner to cover it up.