post #1741 of 3084 Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

Are you going to frame the door first with moulding? And them make the fabric frame so that it fits around the door and frame moulding?

I would like to, but I'm not sure how to get the fabric cutout around the inside corners without seeing the wood frame.

So my current strategy is to build the fabric frame and install the painted moulding on top of the fabric frame.

Mario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 3084 Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished painting and installing the trim for the patch panel fabric frame. I did the frame to hide the inside corners where I couldn't figure out how to get a sharp seam. In the end I think it will add nicely to the surround of the cabinet door that I need to build yet.

Mario

post #1743 of 3084 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

I'm not sure how to get the fabric cutout around the inside corners without seeing the wood frame.

I saw a post the other day where the guy had addressed this problem by gluing a scrap of fabric to the inside corner of the frame, and then stretching/stapling the finishing fabric over top. If there are gaps in the top fabric, the scrap underneath keeps the wood from being visible.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

post #1744 of 3084 Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

I saw a post the other day where the guy had addressed this problem by gluing a scrap of fabric to the inside corner of the frame, and then stretching/stapling the finishing fabric over top. If there are gaps in the top fabric, the scrap underneath keeps the wood from being visible.

I had thought of that but I didn't think the end result would still be noticable.

I think my first mistake was cutting the fabric all the way to the corner. Maybe if I stop it shy 3/4" and try to man handle the fabric by stretching it.
Actually, now that I think about it you probably want to handle all inside corners first...then the outside edges. By stretching the outside edges first, it leaves you no room to pull material on the inside which was evident when I built the patch panel fabric frame.

Mario

post #1745 of 3084 Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I did the frame to hide the inside corners where I couldn't figure out how to get a sharp seam. In the end I think it will add nicely to the surround of the cabinet door that I need to build yet.

Looks sharp, and a good solution - those inside corners are a bit tricky aren't they. Where I have those, they were either flush up to something else, so wouldn't show, or were/will be covered with some type of trim.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #1746 of 3084 Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I worked until about 2:30am last night and finished up the door for the patch panel.

It's constructed like the other doors I did on the front screen wall.

I changed my game plan for the door wall. I wanted to be able to get all the moulding and door casing up so they could be primed and painted before fabric. So rather than doing a single frame to wrap around the door and entire door wall and having to deal with inside corners, I'll break it into three sections. This will leave me with two vertical 2" seams just above the door in line with the casing. Since I'll be wrapping boards I can get the seam to be pretty sharp when they meet up. Plus it'll be near the ceiling in a darker area so I don't think anyone will even notice it.

With that said, I was able to install the rest of the room chair rail, base board and door casing inside the theater.

Mario

post #1747 of 3084 Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I worked until about 2:30am last night and finished up the door for the patch panel.

It's constructed like the other doors I did on the front screen wall.

I changed my game plan for the door wall. I wanted to be able to get all the moulding and door casing up so they could be primed and painted before fabric. So rather than doing a single frame to wrap around the door and entire door wall and having to deal with inside corners, I'll break it into three sections. This will leave me with two vertical 2" seams just above the door in line with the casing. Since I'll be wrapping boards I can get the seam to be pretty sharp when they meet up. Plus it'll be near the ceiling in a darker area so I don't think anyone will even notice it.

With that said, I was able to install the rest of the room chair rail, base board and door casing inside the theater.

Son of a bitch that looks great...sorry for the language it is the first thing that came out of my head.

Thanks for the motivation...heading down stairs to finish up the central Vacuum now

post #1748 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the "kind" words...I think.

It's too early in your project for motivation.

Mario

post #1749 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I managed to finish up what I believe is the last fabric frame!

I framed around the dual gang box and also add some backing to mount the motion sensor near the crown moulding.

I tried something different this time which did help a little with the inside corners. I also knew the cover plate for the light switches didn't give me a lot of play and I didn't want to see any staples. So the first thing I did was cut a little opening where the gang box goes and staple the fabric on the inside edge first. I found there was too much tension if you do it stapling around the entire frame.

I ripped down two boards to size...one for on the left side of the door and one for above. I made sure they were a tight fit so the fabric would have a nice crisp edge. I was happy I went this route since it was much easier than building the whole frame as a single piece just to try and avoid those little seams.

You really have to search to see the fabric seams. And once the room gets a coat of black, it'll be even more difficult.

Mario

post #1750 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
wow .... well if anyone gets that close to your door to try to see that nearly invisible seam just give them slight kick in the butt out the door and send them on there way looking awesome so looking forward to getting to this stage

Falcon Screens

post #1751 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking great Mario! It's great to see another local build really coming together. I just received my fabric and will start on it soon. You're build is a great inspiration!

post #1752 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mario, you are making such great progress, where do you find the time? Have you taken a sabbatical from paying work

I'm loving how the construction follows the renders so closely. When do you think you are going to be ready to paint all the trim?

Cheers

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1753 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that you're done with the fabric stapler, feel free to mail it to me

post #1754 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's too early in your project for motivation.

Hooking up central vac isn't really fun though

post #1755 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy View Post

Looking great Mario! It's great to see another local build really coming together. I just received my fabric and will start on it soon. You're build is a great inspiration!

Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with all the other builds. I'll have to jump over to yours. If you are ordering fabric I must have missed a lot of action.

Mario

post #1756 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Mario, you are making such great progress, where do you find the time? Have you taken a sabbatical from paying work

I'm loving how the construction follows the renders so closely. When do you think you are going to be ready to paint all the trim?

Cheers

Thanks Moggie. Time is hard to come by with two kids and work. It seems I've been to kids birthday parties every weekend for the past four weeks. I try to get in the theater usually after dinner. Load up on Monster energy drinks also helps. My yard work is falling behind as well. With warm weather here I'm very motivated to get this done.

My punch list before paint is getting shorter. I've started planning the back bar. But ill probably move a few chairs in there for field testing first. How high is your counter on your back bar? 3'?

I'd say I'm realistically three weeks from painting. The can light soffit and back bar are the two big items left.

Mario

post #1757 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Now that you're done with the fabric stapler, feel free to mail it to me

Funny you should say that . I was just thinking yesterday that too bad there wasn't a theater builder survival rent kit. Contains all the basic tools one needs.

I'll still be needing mine to staple the fabric to the column sides after paint.

Mario

post #1758 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Hooking up central vac isn't really fun though

I hired someone to install my basement central vacuum and connect it with the main floor. I think it was only $400 to add 4 inlets, labor and material. It probably would have taken me 10 trips to Menards and a weeks worth of time...so well worth it for me.

Mario

post #1759 of 3084 Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with all the other builds. I'll have to jump over to yours. If you are ordering fabric I must have missed a lot of action.

Mine is nothing compared to yours.

My fabric is close to going up, hopefully next month. I need to do a few more prep things and get my carpet it before I can start the fabric and trim. I just ordered my Porter-Cable staple gun. It should be here sometime this week.

Keep up the good work!

post #1760 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy View Post

Mine is nothing compared to yours.

My fabric is close to going up, hopefully next month. I need to do a few more prep things and get my carpet it before I can start the fabric and trim. I just ordered my Porter-Cable staple gun. It should be here sometime this week.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I did stop over to your thread and it is coming together nicely. The fabric really motivates you because you can start to see it more as a finished room.

Mario

post #1761 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I started working on some ideas for the back bar over the weekend.

So far this is my favorite design. I just don't want it to look too meaty as you walk in the room. I tried some wrought iron designs, but didn't like them. So I went more with similar panels and mouldings that are alredy in the room.

So to add some airiness to the design, I raised the center area between the supports off the ground.

The top counter is 16" deep x about 8' wide. The counter sits at 3' high. The bar arch will match the other arches in the room and the back of the seating.

I'm open to any suggestions or comments before I commit to building it. I would think structurally, the two side pillars will support the counter even though the center is not fixed to the ground.

Mario

post #1762 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

i like it but does it crowd the room some? are you going to being putting bar chairs there also ?

Falcon Screens

post #1763 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Have you considered a bar foot rail...maybe something in an oil rubbed bronze? It might prevent your nice trim work from getting scuffed/kicked.

http://www.kegworks.com/bar-foot-rai...ed-bronze-1371

Based on your color scheme, this finish seemed better than brass or stainless steel. You would just need to make sure it doesn't rattle.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #1764 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i like it but does it crowd the room some? are you going to being putting bar chairs there also ?

It will certainly close it in a bit. But I keep reminding myself that it's only 3' tall and not a wall...so I think it will still feel somewhat open.

I'd like to squeeze in about 3-4 stools for overflow. Mostly just for football games or during parties where people just pop in/out.

Mario

post #1765 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This top view will help show how it fit's in the room.

There's about 2'2" of walking space between the bar counter and the back columns.

Mario

post #1766 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Have you considered a bar foot rail...maybe something in an oil rubbed bronze? It might prevent your nice trim work from getting scuffed/kicked.

http://www.kegworks.com/bar-foot-rai...ed-bronze-1371

Based on your color scheme, this finish seemed better than brass or stainless steel. You would just need to make sure it doesn't rattle.

A foot rail would open up possibilities to making it more open. Although, I'd probably prefer a black rail than even the oil rubbed bronze.

I'd also have to find a way to bend it to the shape of the arch. I haven't worked out in quite some time since starting the theater.

Mario

post #1767 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

i see your point it would nice to have some extra seating, but then again you do have a tv at your bar ... i like the extra seating but i also love the look of your theater when you walk in and bam! that screen wall is staring you right in the face your screen wall is a work of art to me..

Falcon Screens

post #1768 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Your space looks wonderful.

I have a bar in the back of my room and the granite slab is 20" deep. With the way I constructed the slab support it only leaves about 14" from the front of the slab to wall under the granite. If I had to do over I would leave open gaps for people's feet or something to give more room. We use the bar alot for movie over-flow or sporting events and if folks are going to sit there a while they like to get close to the bar so they can lean on it then stretch out their feet and a little more leg room would be nice.

post #1769 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i see your point it would nice to have some extra seating, but then again you do have a tv at your bar ... i like the extra seating but i also love the look of your theater when you walk in and bam! that screen wall is staring you right in the face your screen wall is a work of art to me..

You bring up a good point. The back bar will probably be used a few times a year. Aside from the bar tv, there's also another 55" TV in the lower living area next to the bar that seats another six people or so. Maybe that's the over flow.

I guess we could always pull in the bar stools and have people sit right behind the back row.

I could play around with the idea of it being more of just a ledge rather than a bar. Although I may still run into closing it off.

Mario

post #1770 of 3084 Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I agree about the need for more knee and foot space under the bar. In another home I used steel (channel) angle braces to support the granite slab.

Your craftsmanship is awe-inspiring!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page