The Cinemar Home Theater Construction Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1981 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
An amazing structure, like your design and your color choices. Looking forward to see the finished result!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post

This is looking really nice. one comment that i don't know if someone has already made is about your soffit over the screen. i have a wooden soffit with a nice finish over my stage area and it looks really nice except that it does reflect light off the screen. you can see it in my pics in my signature link. after i built it i always wished i could have come up with a better solution but because i had cherry wood with a mahogany finish i did about the best i could with a dull clearcoat on top. since yours is black i wonder if you could do more? like fidelio or something? i figure not since you have such a nice black laquer look going but it is something to consider. when you sit in the audience and look at the screen lit up with a bright picture, will you see a defocused, upside down reflection of the screen in that soffit?
you can see what i mean i this screenshot.

Interesting...I was planning to do a similar wooden soffit at the front. Do you think it reflects enough light to recommend bagging that idea?
post #1983 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Hi GetGray,
I posted above the Led Strip I'm testing with.
Here's where the Led strip was located when I took that photo. I'm still trying to integrate (8) 4' black lights into the soffit to charge the stars, so final placement is still in limbo until I can figure out where they need to go too.
LedStripPlacement.jpg

Mario-

How are you attaching your crown to that extended part of your soffit. In the drawing you only have the bottom attached. Is that what you are doing? Thanks.
post #1984 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe4real View Post

Mario,
Did a quick search for the fabric couldn't find a seller, any chance you remember where you purchased these? I hope you don't mind but my room is changing by the minute to look more like your amazing pictures! (Well' the plans in my head are changing anyway!)

GOM is pretty common round these parts. You must be new in town. wink.gif

Here's a link to FabricMate who carries it:
http://www.fabricmatestore.com/p-9-fr701-panel-fabric.aspx

Go for it. I'd be flattered.
snipe4real likes this.
post #1985 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is looking really nice. one comment that i don't know if someone has already made is about your soffit over the screen. i have a wooden soffit with a nice finish over my stage area and it looks really nice except that it does reflect light off the screen. you can see it in my pics in my signature link. after i built it i always wished i could have come up with a better solution but because i had cherry wood with a mahogany finish i did about the best i could with a dull clearcoat on top. since yours is black i wonder if you could do more? like fidelio or something? i figure not since you have such a nice black laquer look going but it is something to consider. when you sit in the audience and look at the screen lit up with a bright picture, will you see a defocused, upside down reflection of the screen in that soffit?
you can see what i mean i this screenshot.
greg

Yeah. That did cross my mind. I've got Benjamin Moore Flat Black which has gotten pretty rave reviews from others on the forum on the ceiling next to the screen. I do have a backup plan if it is an issue. Just wrap 1/8" hard board with black velvet and finish nail it to the ceiling just above the screen avout 10" out.

I certainly appreciate you bringing it up though before I got too far in.
post #1986 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

Mario-
How are you attaching your crown to that extended part of your soffit. In the drawing you only have the bottom attached. Is that what you are doing? Thanks.

I'm working on it now. I ended up cutting 1 3/4" triangle blocks and attaching them to the soffit first all the way around the room. That will give me something solid to attach the crown higher up and also provide a nice guide for an error free install. I've got 3 blocks per side...I left 52" in between to squeeze a black light in if it works out there.

Got the first crown up and it looks really good if I do say so myself. Got it right on my first cut! My friend had to cut out early and I really dont' feel like hanging these pieces by myself after doing the other four runs around the tray. 5 1/2" crown is a bit tough to man-handle myself.

Pictures to follow tomorrow.
post #1987 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok. Thought I'd take a break and post some pics tonight instead before I do a tool change over and switch to stapling fabric to cabinet doors. smile.gif

My FIL finished putting on the finish coat on the other side of the theater...so the finish coat is pretty much on everything in the theater. The theater foyer still has a few things left to do. He also gave the theater foyer door a 1st coat of black. I'm keeping one side white to match the bar area and the other side black to match the theater.

Here's the crown that went up tonight.

First I had to figure out how high the crown needed to be mounted in order to hide the can light enclosures. I figured that out using my 3D software and figuring a person about 6' tall. Then I cut angled blocks. I wanted them to be flush with the baseboard I already installed so it would be easier to install them around the room. I placed one in the center and then measured 52" from the center. This gives me just enough room to place a 48" black light plus the cord width in between each section. I may go a different route, but at least this option is open still.

Here are the angled supports.
IMG_9805_small.jpg

IMG_9836_small.jpg

After installing the first crown.
IMG_9812_small.jpg

IMG_9832_small.jpg

IMG_9838_small.jpg

Time to start stapling again. smile.gif
post #1988 of 3081 Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm not sure which looks better, the blue light or the crown. Fantastic job.
post #1989 of 3081 Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Yeah. That did cross my mind. I've got Benjamin Moore Flat Black which has gotten pretty rave reviews from others on the forum on the ceiling next to the screen. I do have a backup plan if it is an issue. Just wrap 1/8" hard board with black velvet and finish nail it to the ceiling just above the screen avout 10" out.
I certainly appreciate you bringing it up though before I got too far in.

Mario, I have a similar nit with my HT. It's not a big issue and I've never had a guest notice but it is one thing I could have done better. If I ever get motivated I was thinking of a "hanging cloud hood" between the top of screen and my wood soffit. Covered with fidelio velver it wouldn't be noticeable and would still leave the wooden soffit exposed. You will probably be fine with flat black paint though..

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1990 of 3081 Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
Is it bad taste to ask the total spent on materials? Or maybe something lighter like your projected budget even a ballpark guess at the finished product? I'm mostly interested in materials.

I've been tossing around the idea of redoing my HT and I've got to say that this is definitely the type of HT that I feel needs emulating. I'd like to get and idea of how much it'll cost to replicate a scaled version of this HT in my room (18.5 x 13.5). My early estimate is around $5k and that's only materials, wiring, and lighting. I happy with my electronics side (AV gear, screen, seating), just need materials.
post #1991 of 3081 Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey rs691919 (catchy name smile.gif ). It is hard to call. Mine is only a Couple inches above the top of my screen so it is noticeable but honestly it doesn't bother me. If you are a bat cave type of guy and really serious about the best pic possible it might bug you. I am a woodworker so it was worth it to me to show off my other hobby in the theater. I used a mat finish on it. I just noticed How much light was reflecting off of Mario's soffit in post 1991 and thought I should mention it in case he hadn't thought of it. I figured since his room was black he would have options. I wouldn't trade my cherry stage at this point. I really like the look of the columns holding up the ceiling.

Greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
post #1992 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

Hi Larry,
Here's the measurements we built the stage from:
Front-Wall-Platform-Dimensions.jpg
Like I've mentioned before, the room arch of everything was pretty much derived from the front row chairs.

Thanks Mario

I'm good at math but its a bit early to calculate. Do you know off hand what the angle is where the 1.7" marker is pointing at the front of the stage after the 8 5/8" front? I'm guessing 45* but just double checking

EDIT: of course it is a 45*....ok I'm half awake now
post #1993 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMG_9832_small.jpg

Why is the ceiling red in this pic confused.gif
post #1994 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I think it is from the LED lights he installed. If you look back through the post, you will see it can change colors.
post #1995 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I'm not sure which looks better, the blue light or the crown. Fantastic job.

Thanks Spaceman. The blue really makes the ceiling blue color pop!
post #1996 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Mario, I have a similar nit with my HT. It's not a big issue and I've never had a guest notice but it is one thing I could have done better. If I ever get motivated I was thinking of a "hanging cloud hood" between the top of screen and my wood soffit. Covered with fidelio velver it wouldn't be noticeable and would still leave the wooden soffit exposed. You will probably be fine with flat black paint though..

Thanks for chiming in Moggie. I'll keep everyone posted once I get the projector hung. Still a week or two away from that.
post #1997 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post

Is it bad taste to ask the total spent on materials? Or maybe something lighter like your projected budget even a ballpark guess at the finished product? I'm mostly interested in materials.
I've been tossing around the idea of redoing my HT and I've got to say that this is definitely the type of HT that I feel needs emulating. I'd like to get and idea of how much it'll cost to replicate a scaled version of this HT in my room (18.5 x 13.5). My early estimate is around $5k and that's only materials, wiring, and lighting. I happy with my electronics side (AV gear, screen, seating), just need materials.

Hi aakrusen,

It would be hard for me to calculate the materials. I was working on the basement around the same time. I have several hundred receipts from the big box stores. In my case I ended up going through a lot of OSB to raise the floor, etc. Soundproofing will also eat up a chunck of change. I'm guessing there's several thousand in just mouldings. Paint and primer runs about $45 per gallon. If you end up doing the labor yourself, you'll probably need to allocate funds to purchase equipment and specialty tools.

I would say that $5k would be way too low even for a smaller scaled version. Things start adding up quickly. Unless you plan on doing the labor yourself, you'll probably need well over $5k for the electrician and carpenter. I spent a ton of time just running around to various local stores and several trips 30 miles away to get the materials I needed. I would recommend getting a fixed bid if you can from someone, that way you are locked in. An hourly rate will probably cost you through the roof.

Wish I had more specifics for you.
post #1998 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Color changing LED's. smile.gif
post #1999 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I put a good dent in the theater yesterday. Worked from sun up until sun down.

I need a second wind the other night after hanging the first piece of crown. So I pulled in half of the red fabric panels into the room for some inspiration.

Here's a photo:
IMG_9861_small.jpg

I think I'm going to try using velcro to hold the panels to the wall. Just stick the one side of the velcro to the wall and it should just grab the fabric.

I removed all the hinges and sprayed them with a flat black spray paint from Rustoleum. There was some primer marks on them. The spray paint gave them a new look again.

I also finished stapling all the fabric to the maple doors.
IMG_9880_small.jpg

IMG_9882_small.jpg

I decided to try this theory on the lower moulding frames I built for the bottom half of the speaker columns too.
IMG_9883_small.jpg

IMG_9884_small.jpg

The fabric tension is really tight so I was worried it may crush the frame, but so far so good. If the frame continues to hold up, I'll probably do this for them all, then use something to hold them in tightly to the column. I'm thinking something like puddy would keep it held in.
IMG_9890_small.jpg

My friend stopped over and we finished hanging the remaining crown in about two hours. It went quicker than I thought. Only had to walk the crown out twice to recut out of the four pieces. The laser measure tool worked out nicely to get accurate results. Just make sure you measure before you hang your first crown all the way around the room. The benefit of not having a ceiling is that everything was able to be cut at 45's!

The LED lighting has a little sharper edge now with the crown. So I'll probably need to elevate the LED lighting to cast a bit higher above the top of the crown.

IMG_0050_small.jpg

IMG_0055_small.jpg

IMG_0058_small.jpg

IMG_0059_small.jpg

IMG_0066_small.jpg

IMG_0069_small.jpg

IMG_0074_small.jpg

IMG_0090_small.jpg

To wrap up the night I put some more coats of paint on all the mouldings I'll be needing for in the theater foyer.
post #2000 of 3081 Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM

This room is truly a work of art, I just hope mine looks half as good as this when I am done!
post #2001 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 AM

Hey Mario, thanks for keeping such an extensive thread, it will surely help those that are just staring to build (like me). I hope to be somewher between yourself and Koach, and I am stealing you're trim and columns hope you dont mind biggrin.gif! Also what made you decide to go with the full wood columns instead of drywall cutouts and trim with AT material? I am thinking of just doing a drywall and trim mix to cut down on cost and time.

Atolnay00
post #2002 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe4real View Post

This room is truly a work of art, I just hope mine looks half as good as this when I am done!

Thanks snipe4real. I'm sure yours will turn out fantastic.
post #2003 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atolnay00 View Post

Hey Mario, thanks for keeping such an extensive thread, it will surely help those that are just staring to build (like me). I hope to be somewher between yourself and Koach, and I am stealing you're trim and columns hope you dont mind biggrin.gif! Also what made you decide to go with the full wood columns instead of drywall cutouts and trim with AT material? I am thinking of just doing a drywall and trim mix to cut down on cost and time.

You bet. I've gained so much info from this site so I'm hoping this will help me give back.

Koach's theater was a great inspiration to me, and I think there was another theater he drew from. So it's an ever evolving cycle. wink.gif

I went with MDF because it allowed me to keep the columns narrower than I could had I used drywall and framing. Plus, it allowed me to build the frames rather than have drywallers come back in again.
atolnay00 likes this.
post #2004 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Everything here looks phenomenal. I've been reading along for a while now.

I am trying to find the molding used on the door( it looks like the same used on the walls). Is it posted earlier? If not could you share a profile shot or the Part number.
post #2005 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The one I plan to use on the Theater Entrance door is labeled "Paneling" in this diagram. It is the same one used on the walls.

They do sell it at Menard's although it didn't quite match the same profile as the one I picked up at the lumber yard so I couldn't mix'n match the two.

Column_Mouldings.jpg
post #2006 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks! looks like that maps to 163 'base cap' on my empire catalogue. I'll add to my list for viewing.
post #2007 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Mario. i really like how all of this is coming together. i especially appreciate some of the really smart choices you made. using black for the wainscoating and columns looks really natural and classy with the red but it allows you to sneak the GOM panels into the columns unnoticed. It also is a really cost effective solution since you can use MDF rather than hardwoods. with all the attention to detail and the fantastic trim work it looks like a work of art. it also keeps the overall room fairly dark so it doesnt distract from the picture or hurt contrast. you know sometimes you can come up with a really "great" idea and then spend years making it work but when you have really good choices like this color scheme things just happen naturally. not sure if that makes sense but the times i have built something and felt like i made the right decisions up front, that is what it seems like to me. Just an elegant solution to the problem.

great job.

greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
post #2008 of 3081 Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Mario, and all the followers.

Im Brendan from Australia, and currently waiting for my new house to be built. In the build I have customized the existing design to allow for a 4.5M x 7M room 10" Ceiling.

I have completely fallen in love with your design, and would like your permission to use certain aspects of your design in my home theatre.

Congrats on all the hard work so far, it looks amazing.

Regards
post #2009 of 3081 Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanb21 View Post

Hi Mario, and all the followers.
Im Brendan from Australia, and currently waiting for my new house to be built. In the build I have customized the existing design to allow for a 4.5M x 7M room 10" Ceiling.
I have completely fallen in love with your design, and would like your permission to use certain aspects of your design in my home theatre.
Congrats on all the hard work so far, it looks amazing.
Regards

You should probably go with a taller ceiling height tongue.gif
In the US 10" = 10 inches
10' = 10 ft
wink.gif

Good luck on your build, make sure to start a build thread so we can all follow. If possible you should look to add another 1/3 to 1/2 meter to the width of your room and 2M to the length. That little extra opens up your room to nice walking paths in 4 seat configurations as well as possibly a bar top area for overflow seating.
post #2010 of 3081 Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Mario. i really like how all of this is coming together. i especially appreciate some of the really smart choices you made. using black for the wainscoating and columns looks really natural and classy with the red but it allows you to sneak the GOM panels into the columns unnoticed. It also is a really cost effective solution since you can use MDF rather than hardwoods. with all the attention to detail and the fantastic trim work it looks like a work of art. it also keeps the overall room fairly dark so it doesnt distract from the picture or hurt contrast. you know sometimes you can come up with a really "great" idea and then spend years making it work but when you have really good choices like this color scheme things just happen naturally. not sure if that makes sense but the times i have built something and felt like i made the right decisions up front, that is what it seems like to me. Just an elegant solution to the problem.
great job.
greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I don't usually hear the words "smart" and "you" (meaning me) used in the same sentence. wink.gif
I'm known for over planning to prevent rework or making bad decisions upfront that could have been avoided.

I thought I'd take a look back in time to March of 2008 when I really started modeling the look and feel of the room. For the most part, I stayed right on track with the initial concept.

render08.jpg

render11.jpg

render19.jpg
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page