Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2341 of 3081 Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sweet photo! I got first pick in my fantasy pool and of course grabbed Rodgers first overall!

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Mario - I have a question about your riser and stage nosings. Are the oak boards that you used standard 1"x material? I plan to match your construction method and just want to make sure that I am using the right material.
post #2343 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

That's a great photo. It almost makes me want to watch a Packer's game. rolleyes.gif

smile.gif
post #2344 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Sweet photo! I got first pick in my fantasy pool and of course grabbed Rodgers first overall!

I've stayed away from Fantasy...the last thing I need is something else to occupy my time. smile.gif
post #2345 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Mario - I have a question about your riser and stage nosings. Are the oak boards that you used standard 1"x material? I plan to match your construction method and just want to make sure that I am using the right material.

Yes. I bought all the Oak at a local Menard's. The lip underneath the bull nose was 1/2" x 3/4" though.
post #2346 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mario. I'll check mine as well to see what they have.
post #2347 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mario - do you have any tips for photographing the HT? I don't have a DSLR but I do have a micro four thirds with a fast pancake lens - it seems to do a decent job in low light most of the time but I just can't seem to get decent results in the HT, let alone the kind of results you get.

Do you use HDR techniques? How long do you expose for? How do you set the ambient lighting in the room?

Cheers
post #2348 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mario. I'll check mine as well to see what they have.

I'm fortunate enough to have two menard's in my area...both about 12 minutes from my house. So if one was out of something, I could usually find it at the other. I also have a Home Depot and Lowes right in the area.
post #2349 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Jeeze I am slow, took me awhile to figure out all the guests at your party are you smile.gif
post #2350 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

I'm fortunate enough to have two menard's in my area...both about 12 minutes from my house. So if one was out of something, I could usually find it at the other. I also have a Home Depot and Lowes right in the area.

I too have all three within 15 minutes of me (two of which are less than 5 minutes from me). Sorry, two additional questions. Is it red or white oak that you used and what was the width? Because of the curves you may not have used the boards as-is but cut them from wider ones but if you could tell me the final depth (horizontal not vertical) that would be great. Thanks Mario.
post #2351 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops, one more question. Did you rely on glue to hold the nosings or did you use mechanical fasteners as well?
post #2352 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yo Mario!

I'm an old customer of yours...I had no idea you had a build thread...Great looking theatre!

I finished my space back in 2005 or so. I'm starting to get the itch again to upgrade and create a more dedicated space.
post #2353 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I too have all three within 15 minutes of me (two of which are less than 5 minutes from me). Sorry, two additional questions. Is it red or white oak that you used and what was the width? Because of the curves you may not have used the boards as-is but cut them from wider ones but if you could tell me the final depth (horizontal not vertical) that would be great. Thanks Mario.

That's great...make's life easier especially when you are making daily runs...and sometimes twice a day on the weekends.

I used the Red Oak. I don't think there was a large selection of white available in the stores.

I used various sizes through out the room and seamed them together for the front stage. I had the benefit of doing it in the 3D software, so I could easily figure out the sizes I needed with minimal waste.
I don't recall all the various sizes I used unfortunately per section...but regardless...unless your room is the exact same size, I don't think it will matter.

Hope that helps.
post #2354 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, figured it was the Red but the pictures online (store website) make it look really dark where your pictures appear lighter.

I use AutoCAD for work so I have the benefit of drawing everything out prior to construction as well. It definitely has saved me time and money on mistakes.

I guess I need to see the stuff in person to figure out which size will be appropriate. I just hope I don't have to rip down boards to get the right size. rolleyes.gif
post #2355 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops, one more question. Did you rely on glue to hold the nosings or did you use mechanical fasteners as well?

You'll want to use brad nails and glue. Glue alone won't do it unless you have a bazillion clamps. smile.gif
post #2356 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, figured it was the Red but the pictures online (store website) make it look really dark where your pictures appear lighter.
I use AutoCAD for work so I have the benefit of drawing everything out prior to construction as well. It definitely has saved me time and money on mistakes.
I guess I need to see the stuff in person to figure out which size will be appropriate. I just hope I don't have to rip down boards to get the right size. rolleyes.gif

Yeah - I think they do show a lot of white wood on their website...but there's not much in the store.
It really just has a hint of red to it.

That's great you can use AutoCAD.

Pick up the BOSCH jigsaw and blades I mention in my thread and you'll be in good shape. Get a nice straight edge and you can even use the jig saw for trimming them down to size.
post #2357 of 3081 Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

Yo Mario!
I'm an old customer of yours...I had no idea you had a build thread...Great looking theatre!
I finished my space back in 2005 or so. I'm starting to get the itch again to upgrade and create a more dedicated space.

Cool. Glad you could join in. Better late than never. wink.gif

I think it'll probably take me another 7 years before I get the itch. wink.gif
post #2358 of 3081 Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I should have taken a picture, but they used rubber to ramp the carpeting up to the 3/4" bull nose edges so they weren't tripping hazards.

Mario,

Do you remember how much they had to build up the carpet to make the transition to the bullnose edges? I am trying to figure out how much of a lip I should leave where the carpet abuts. I am thinking 3/8" (tackless is 1/4") should bring the pile a little above the bullnose.

Thanks,
Tim
post #2359 of 3081 Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Mario,
Do you remember how much they had to build up the carpet to make the transition to the bullnose edges? I am trying to figure out how much of a lip I should leave where the carpet abuts. I am thinking 3/8" (tackless is 1/4") should bring the pile a little above the bullnose.
Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I don't know. I know they used the entire rubber ramp and didn't cut it down. I'm not sure I follow you though. Are you going to make your own ramps up to a 3/4" bull nose?

One thing I could have done too in my build was raise the baseboard to 1/2" instead of 3/8" given the carpet I had. The carpet dips down just a bit as it tucks under the base. Perfect area for crumbs to accumulate. Even if the base was a bit higher than the carpet, you never would have noticed....not that it would have been higher even at 1/2" though.
post #2360 of 3081 Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

..............One thing I could have done too in my build was raise the baseboard to 1/2" instead of 3/8" given the carpet I had. The carpet dips down just a bit as it tucks under the base. Perfect area for crumbs to accumulate. Even if the base was a bit higher than the carpet, you never would have noticed....not that it would have been higher even at 1/2" though.

I don't know how much that really bothers you, but could you use the same trick the hardwood flooring guys use and put down a 3/4" quarter round all the way around? You could even paint it before you put it in so there would only be minor touch up.

Of course, with all the trim and molding and woodwork in your room, you may be ready to just set your miter saw on fire and throw it in front of oncoming traffic biggrin.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2361 of 3081 Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I don't know how much that really bothers you, but could you use the same trick the hardwood flooring guys use and put down a 3/4" quarter round all the way around? You could even paint it before you put it in so there would only be minor touch up.
Of course, with all the trim and molding and woodwork in your room, you may be ready to just set your miter saw on fire and throw it in front of oncoming traffic biggrin.gif

Good idea....but it doesn't bother me that much. wink.gif
post #2362 of 3081 Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've got 5 yards of black triple plush velvet that I never even took out of the shipping box if anyone's interested just PM me. I need to start building up my subwoofer fund. wink.gif
post #2363 of 3081 Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Tim,
Unfortunately I don't know. I know they used the entire rubber ramp and didn't cut it down. I'm not sure I follow you though. Are you going to make your own ramps up to a 3/4" bull nose?
One thing I could have done too in my build was raise the baseboard to 1/2" instead of 3/8" given the carpet I had. The carpet dips down just a bit as it tucks under the base. Perfect area for crumbs to accumulate. Even if the base was a bit higher than the carpet, you never would have noticed....not that it would have been higher even at 1/2" though.

I'm using landing tread for my bullnoses, so it will be 1" thick on the full-round portion, but it's rabbited to be narrower where it abuts the carpet (typically it's 3/4" to join with hardwood flooring).

Basically, I can make the portion that joins the carpet any height I want. I wanted to make it the correct height so they don't need to use the rubber shims.

Thanks,
Tim
post #2364 of 3081 Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I'm using landing tread for my bullnoses, so it will be 1" thick on the full-round portion, but it's rabbited to be narrower where it abuts the carpet (typically it's 3/4" to join with hardwood flooring).
Basically, I can make the portion that joins the carpet any height I want. I wanted to make it the correct height so they don't need to use the rubber shims.
Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

One thing to note is that their rubber strips were pretty long. Not sure exactly, but if I recall, I thought they were over a foot long and ramped up. I'm not sure if what you are proposing would be a gradual elevation change or abrupt.
post #2365 of 3081 Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim,
One thing to note is that their rubber strips were pretty long. Not sure exactly, but if I recall, I thought they were over a foot long and ramped up. I'm not sure if what you are proposing would be a gradual elevation change or abrupt.

Thanks, Mario. I did find the rubber carpet shims online, but they make them in different heights (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) so I'm not real sure what I should do. I think I am going to go with a 3/8" lip.. partially because a 1/4" lip would probably splinter off. I know a 1/2" space under a baseboard lets the carpet go right under, so that's probably too much.. ergo, 3/8".

In other words, where your nosings were 3/4" tall where they met the carpet, I am going to make mine 3/8", so hopefully there is no shimming.

Tim
post #2366 of 3081 Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Not sure how you are planning to attach the nosings, but will 3/8 be thick enough to prevent it from splitting if someone steps on the end? I know engineered floors are thinner than 3/4, but they are also laminated.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2367 of 3081 Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand what you're saying. It shouldn't be an issue the way my floor and risers (stair risers) are designed. It will be 3/4" thick for the most part. I'll post over in my thread.

Tim
post #2368 of 3081 Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Here's a photo I put together that I sent to friends with an invite for the Packer game this Sunday. I saw someone else on the forum do the same thing and thought it was really clever.
root_the_pack.jpg

OK, I'll bite: how da heck you make a photo like that? Very cool!

Excluding the whole Packer part, of course. wink.gif

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #2369 of 3081 Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

OK, I'll bite: how da heck you make a photo like that? Very cool!
Excluding the whole Packer part, of course. wink.gif

It's called compositing. Set up the camera on a tripod and have it snap pictures at every new position and then glue them all together with Photoshop (and a lot of talent).

Hard to tell if all those Packers fans are watching the same game, though, with some cheering and some in anguish (and some glued to the screen and some sleeping!! biggrin.gif). Mario - maybe the next invite you could buy the opposing team's jersey, keep the tags on it so you can return it and have your "anguished" guys in the opposing team jersey and the Packers guys cheering!

It's been a bit since I checked into this thread, but great photo and I am glad to see you are getting a lot of use out of the room!!
post #2370 of 3081 Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I'll volunteer to be the person in the other team's jersey. Unfortunately, I don't watch much pro sports. I'm more of a college sports guy.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page