post #2521 of 3084 Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

A couple more tidbits of information on the Dune HD Max...I had an in-depth discussion with one of their company reps a couple of months ago regarding the technical aspects of this piece of equipment. Not to go into boring detail, but there are two main deficiencies to this unit: 1. The 10/100 support vs. full gigabit which may or may not matter based on your network topology and the storage devices feeding the HD Max; and 2. HDMI 1.3a output which means that it does not support 3D. There will be an update to address both of these issues by next summer so I am told, plus a few upgrades (i.e. better DACs, etc.) to really take this device to the next level. I have one of the newer ones earmarked for my rack if / when it is available.

Yeah - I haven't noticed any issues with only 10/100 support on the Dune HD Max although I've only watched a couple movies. I've launched about 20-30 and haven't seen any hiccups yet when watching any of them for a few minutes at a time.

When the 3D version comes out, I'll be using the Dune HD Max as a dedicated whole house movie player. I bit the bullet and ordered the Panasonic PT-AE8000U Projector.
Based on the reviews and forums I've read, it seemed like the clear winner to me in that price range and having all the functionality I needed.

Honestly, I'm still extremely happy with my PT-AE4000U. Given that it's a light controlled room, it seems plenty bright to me. But my curiousity to so something better has gotten the best of me. Especially during some of the promotions going on.

Mario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3084 Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Having a Pana 4k as well I'd like to see your review of the 8k to see if you feel the increased performance is worth it. I'm sure I'll have my 4k for years, I'm hoping to wait until Ultra HD (4k res) is available at below $3,000 beofre I upgrade.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #2523 of 3084 Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

A couple more tidbits of information on the Dune HD Max...I had an in-depth discussion with one of their company reps a couple of months ago regarding the technical aspects of this piece of equipment. Not to go into boring detail, but there are two main deficiencies to this unit: 1. The 10/100 support vs. full gigabit which may or may not matter based on your network topology and the storage devices feeding the HD Max; and 2. HDMI 1.3a output which means that it does not support 3D. There will be an update to address both of these issues by next summer so I am told, plus a few upgrades (i.e. better DACs, etc.) to really take this device to the next level. I have one of the newer ones earmarked for my rack if / when it is available.

What's the latest with Cinavia and these players? It's been quite a while since I looked into it, but back then everyone was predicting nothing but doom and gloom in the future for media streamers like the Dune. I haven't seen much about it lately, though.

I've been using a Dune for several years now, and I've been very pleased. I finally bit the bullet and bought one after I got tired of the endless fiddling with the HTPC. I'll probably pick up another one for the theater when it's finished.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #2524 of 3084 Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

What's the latest with Cinavia and these players? It's been quite a while since I looked into it, but back then everyone was predicting nothing but doom and gloom in the future for media streamers like the Dune. I haven't seen much about it lately, though.
I've been using a Dune for several years now, and I've been very pleased. I finally bit the bullet and bought one after I got tired of the endless fiddling with the HTPC. I'll probably pick up another one for the theater when it's finished.

If HDi keeps a few models without a built-in BD-ROM then we should have a few without Cinavia enabled. It is only mandatory on players that have both BD-ROMs and support BD menus. This is why some of the lower priced Dune models are dropping BD menus altogether in favor of BD-Lite.
post #2525 of 3084 Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Good to know! Can they retain lossless audio. I only vaguely remember that there are more tradeoffs than just losing the fancy menus with BD lite. This is one of those things that I just have not kept up with as much as I would like to.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #2526 of 3084 Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how tall are you wall MDF panels? And I think I read somewhere on here that you used 1/2'' for the walls and 3/4" for the columns is that correct.

post #2527 of 3084 Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I used 1/2" MDF (out about 2" from the wall to allow for treatments behind) in my theater and it worked great.

post #2528 of 3084 Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybuck64 View Post

how tall are you wall MDF panels? And I think I read somewhere on here that you used 1/2'' for the walls and 3/4" for the columns is that correct.

Hi allybuck64,

The majority of the room wall panels are 30" tall. They are made of 3/4" MDF. The columns are the same thickness.
The very front section is about 36" tall.

Mario

post #2529 of 3084 Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mario,

I'm looking at the columns you made for your side surrounds. Since you are using Dipoles, any issues with your speakers since you have a fair amount of MDF blocking them?

post #2530 of 3084 Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

Mario,
I'm looking at the columns you made for your side surrounds. Since you are using Dipoles, any issues with your speakers since you have a fair amount of MDF blocking them?

Hi ScAndal,

My Side and Back Surrounds are actually set to Tripole mode.

I never really took the time to see if I was loosing anything after constructing the columns. I know when I built the columns I did my best to make sure the side openings (fabric area) would accomodate the placement and angle of the speakers. This wasn't too difficult to do taking accurate measurements of the speakers and putting them into my 3D software.

The only way I could think of to measure the results was to measure the volume of the tripole sound coming from the sides of the speaker. So I pulled the speaker out of the cabinet and placed a sound level meter a couple inches away from the tripole speaker and measured 97 dba.

I put the speaker back in the column and measure again just outside of the fabric and it measure 95 dba.

So from this test, it appears I'm loosing 2 dba through the side tripole's because of the columns. Although the front of the speaker should be producing the same level of sound since there is no MDF blocking it.

Mario

post #2531 of 3084 Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since adding the Dune HD Max - it pushes out a bit more information that I wanted to add to my LED MainLobby Movie Poster.

I've added a progress bar at the top above NOW PLAYING and also the time code just below NOW PLAYING.

Not sure I'm sold on it and may reorganize the look again, but it's pretty cool to see the time updating as the movie is playing.

Mario

post #2532 of 3084 Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Since adding the Dune HD Max - it pushes out a bit more information that I wanted to add to my LED MainLobby Movie Poster.
I've added a progress bar at the top above NOW PLAYING and also the time code just below NOW PLAYING.
Not sure I'm sold on it and may reorganize the look again, but it's pretty cool to see the time updating as the movie is playing.

how about add another row at bottom and have the progress bar and time left also maybe move dbox icon under the movie rating?

Falcon Screens

post #2533 of 3084 Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

how about add another row at bottom and have the progress bar and time left also maybe move dbox icon under the movie rating?

Yeah - i'm gonna have to play around with some more ideas. I liked the idea of it at the top since that's where the start time / end time was located.

But by shrinking the height of the cover art, it will give me some more room.

Mario

post #2534 of 3084 Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

These cups showed up under the tree for the theater's front row D-Box seats.

They work great for mixed drinks and soda and prevent spills while sitting in the motion seats.

Mario

post #2535 of 3084 Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The new Panasonic PT-AE8000U is installed.

A few first impressions and some comparisons of the PT-AE4000U I previously had in the theater.

Out of the box, the colors seem more vibrant compared to the 4000. There's certainly more light output and brightness.
I can see the walls around the room light up more because of this...but not to the point of it distracting. Everything really seems sharper.
The NORMAL lamp mode seems louder than the PT-AE4000U.

I like the fact that I can now hide the text PROCESSING IMAGE as it switches back and forth between different screen size / formats. Especially for movies like Tron where it's switching within the movie itself.

I was curious to see how much better the 3D has improved. While I have yet to watch an entire movie, I was impressed with the 3D. In fact, I wanted to show my Father In Law what it looked like and I only had one pair of 3D glasses. He actually was so wowed by it that he sat by himself in the theater and watched the entire movie (Ice Age).

I have yet to do much tweaking of the settings aside for some options in 3D.

My perspective is if you are an existing AE4000U owner and not interested in 3D, you might consider holding on to your 4000 for a while - or just upgrade to the 7000.

But I think the jump in price from the AE4000U to the AE8000U is definitely worth it if you also want to dive into 3D. You'll have to figure in the cost of the 3D glasses though too. They aren't cheap.

Hope that helps others make a decision.

Mario

post #2536 of 3084 Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
GREAT info on the 8000, Mario, thanks! I'm using the 4k today and while I'm tempted to upgrade, I'm not that into 3D just yet.

But your review is just what I was looking for in terms of decision making...

Bryan

post #2537 of 3084 Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

GREAT info on the 8000, Mario, thanks! I'm using the 4k today and while I'm tempted to upgrade, I'm not that into 3D just yet.
But your review is just what I was looking for in terms of decision making...
Bryan

Good to hear. I guess if someone didnt have a light controlled room they might make the jump sooner too.

Mario

post #2538 of 3084 Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
subscribe

post #2539 of 3084 Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
These cups showed up under the tree for the theater's front row D-Box seats.
They work great for mixed drinks and soda and prevent spills while sitting in the motion seats.

Ahh great idea Mario

My wife sells promotional items and she is always bringing samples home.
Hmm maybe once the theater is done I can get a logo put on it

post #2540 of 3084 Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Ahh great idea Mario
My wife sells promotional items and she is always bringing samples home.
Hmm maybe once the theater is done I can get a logo put on it

Larry.

That's a great idea. I like the idea of branded cups for the theater.

Let me know if your wife has similar cups as promotional items and if they can be ordered in small quantities.

I did some Koozies branded with our themed annual outdoor party logo I created a few years back and it was a big success.

Mario

post #2541 of 3084 Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Tervis will insert your object into their tumbler. Can't beat the quality.

post #2542 of 3084 Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Be sure to check the size of your cup holders. The ones in my Berkline 13175s are not big enough to hold a 24 oz Tervis tumbler, and the bases on their 10oz, 12oz and 16oz tumblers aren't much smaller. HopefulFred is right though, you can't beat the quality.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #2543 of 3084 Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mario

How did you attach the fabric screens to your columns and picture frames?

It looks like the moulding is nailed to the framing/mdf and your friction fitting the fabric in???

I picked out some panel moulding the other day, it's not as nice as I would like but not bad. I've been racking my brain on how I'm going to make removable screens for the columns

post #2544 of 3084 Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry.
That's a great idea. I like the idea of branded cups for the theater.
Let me know if your wife has similar cups as promotional items and if they can be ordered in small quantities.
I did some Koozies branded with our themed annual outdoor party logo I created a few years back and it was a big success.

I'll have her look into it. Usually they are quantities prohibitive to what a homeowner would need but I'll look anyhow smile.gif

post #2545 of 3084 Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mario
How did you attach the fabric screens to your columns and picture frames?
It looks like the moulding is nailed to the framing/mdf and your friction fitting the fabric in???
I picked out some panel moulding the other day, it's not as nice as I would like but not bad. I've been racking my brain on how I'm going to make removable screens for the columns

Hi Larry,

If you are referring to the moulding frames on the front lower section of the columns.

I build the frames first. Then attached the fabric to the frames with staples. Then attached the frames with a couple finish nails.

Here's the link to the details:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1208912/the-cinemar-home-theater-construction-thread/2010#post_22162038

And some pics from that post:

I used different techniques for the sides. Let me know if you were referring to something else.

The top half where I needed access for the speakers are removable. I used magnets to hold the frames in.

Mario

post #2546 of 3084 Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Be sure to check the size of your cup holders. The ones in my Berkline 13175s are not big enough to hold a 24 oz Tervis tumbler, and the bases on their 10oz, 12oz and 16oz tumblers aren't much smaller. HopefulFred is right though, you can't beat the quality.

Good to know.

I'm guessing your Berkline cup holders are the same as my berkline's.

I'd be interested int he 16oz tumbler's. Anyone know for sure whether they'll fit into the Berkline cup holders?

Mario

post #2547 of 3084 Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Larry,
If you are referring to the moulding frames on the front lower section of the columns.
I build the frames first. Then attached the fabric to the frames with staples. Then attached the frames with a couple finish nails.
Here's the link to the details:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1208912/the-cinemar-home-theater-construction-thread/2010#post_22162038
And some pics from that post:

I used different techniques for the sides. Let me know if you were referring to something else.
The top half where I needed access for the speakers are removable. I used magnets to hold the frames in.

I was reviewing that post last night. I'm still not understanding how you did it.

The picture with the moulding facing down with the fabric stapled to it, is the fabric stapled right to the moulding or do you have a small frame attached to the moulding?

Where and how did you attach the magnets?

post #2548 of 3084 Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was reviewing that post last night. I'm still not understanding how you did it.
The picture with the moulding facing down with the fabric stapled to it, is the fabric stapled right to the moulding or do you have a small frame attached to the moulding?
Where and how did you attach the magnets?

Hi Larry,

In the above photo, I attached the fabric to the moulding...no frame was needed because the moulding itself was beefy enough. These frames are the small ones located on the front of each of my columns on the lower half. They are not removable. I finish nailed them right to the column. Initally I was going to make them removable, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Now the top half of the columns have removable frames using magnets. The frames were plastic and bought from parts-express.

This post goes into details of how I build the frames and attached magnets:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1208912/the-cinemar-home-theater-construction-thread/900#post_21251596

Mario

post #2549 of 3084 Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to know.
I'm guessing your Berkline cup holders are the same as my berkline's.
I'd be interested int he 16oz tumbler's. Anyone know for sure whether they'll fit into the Berkline cup holders?

I picked up a 16oz Tervis Tumbler at the local Bed Bath and Beyond.

I can confirm that they do fit in my Berkline cup holders.

Has anyone else done a custom Tervis tumbler for their theater?

I would think you wouldn't want them all to be the same so that you know which cup is yours. It might be cool to have movie themed cups but due to copyright issues, that won't work. I did see some Star Wars tumblers on ebay though.

Mario

post #2550 of 3084 Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Not considering cost (not sure how much it might run), I'd want my name on a marquee, embroidered on a patch and put in the tumbler ...or maybe the name of a movie. Lots of embroidery shops (like a stand in the mall) can probably put something together for you. Maybe they already have a marquee design that they can just insert your text into. You might pay for the custom design, but I bet a 2 inch by 3 inch patch with your name on it (or "JAWS" or "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD" or "MOONRAKER") would be pretty reasonable. I have never used Tervis's custom services.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page