post #2611 of 3103 Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

I also had the Darbee on my radar, good to know there's another +1 for it. Here are my 2 cent N.O. water alarm sensors. I have these in various places (under dishwasher, jacuzzi, hanging in sump pit....etc) around the house all hooked up to a single zone on my HAI alarm panel. I find using an aspirin holds up nicely but also dissolves quickly when in the presence of water. The 2 cables are held in place with thumb tacks.

Holy CR@P...that is genius!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3103 Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
MacGyver would be proud!
DavidinCT likes this.
post #2613 of 3103 Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasen View Post

Yes, the water can flow out the vents in case the pipes freeze.
It doesn't show well in the picture since the part of the pipe closest to the house foundation is solid (so the water splashing out won't be directed at the house).

It works like this:

Looks like a nice clean solution as well. I'll have to see if Menard's stocks them.
post #2614 of 3103 Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also had the Darbee on my radar, good to know there's another +1 for it. Here are my 2 cent N.O. water alarm sensors. I have these in various places (under dishwasher, jacuzzi, hanging in sump pit....etc) around the house all hooked up to a single zone on my HAI alarm panel. I find using an aspirin holds up nicely but also dissolves quickly when in the presence of water. The 2 cables are held in place with thumb tacks.

That's pretty cool. Put it in some surround white plastic and sell it for $10. wink.gif

You might put another aspirin on the top of the close pin...you'll need that one after the stress of all the water you'll find lingering around. smile.gif
post #2615 of 3103 Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
@ 235: That is awesome. DIY award for the day month.

@ Mario: I've had the Darblet since September. Love it. The only downside (?) is that it has saved an upgrade on the projector for another year. After a while, you won't so much notice its presence -- until you remove it -- and then you'll notice its absence.

After playing with it for a few weeks, I've just left it on Game 50%. I've had to switch it to HiDef mode and drop it to 35% for some DVD material and the Star Wars 4-6 blu-rays (too much contrast in the grain). Initially, I had a cabling issue when inserting the Darblet into my signal chain, but since working that out, I haven't experienced any problems with the unit.
post #2616 of 3103 Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

@ 235: That is awesome. DIY award for the day month.

@ Mario: I've had the Darblet since September. Love it. The only downside (?) is that it has saved an upgrade on the projector for another year. After a while, you won't so much notice its presence -- until you remove it -- and then you'll notice its absence.

After playing with it for a few weeks, I've just left it on Game 50%. I've had to switch it to HiDef mode and drop it to 35% for some DVD material and the Star Wars 4-6 blu-rays (too much contrast in the grain). Initially, I had a cabling issue when inserting the Darblet into my signal chain, but since working that out, I haven't experienced any problems with the unit.

roknrol,

Good to hear I'm not alone around here on the Darblet front. I haven't really seen too many build threads bringing it up after the fact.

Like you, I think GAME is where I've defaulted it to at as high as 70%. But then if it's too much grain, I'll go down to HiDef mode. I was lucky with getting mine going right out of the gate.
Pop mode at higher levels seems to cast a shadow or halo around figures and objects.

I've switched off after a couple weeks of having it and you're right, you do notice it's absence.
post #2617 of 3103 Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

I picked up the Darbee Darblet DVP 5000 a couple weeks ago. I wanted to play around with it a bit before giving some thoughts on it.

I must say, it does a great job of adding sharpness to the projected image on my Panasonic AE8000U that I hadn't seen before. You can see this especially with things like hair, the strands become much more visible and defined.

Thanks for posting about this, Mario -- didn't even know about this previously. Just ordered one.

Reading the reviews online, it appears there were a few people who saw problems with HDMI syncing up with this inserted inline. Did you see any such problems? Since I'm running a pretty similar setup to yours (Onkyo NR3008 receiver -> Panny projector), I'm hoping that your experience will map to mine pretty closely.

Bryan
post #2618 of 3103 Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

Thanks for posting about this, Mario -- didn't even know about this previously. Just ordered one.

Reading the reviews online, it appears there were a few people who saw problems with HDMI syncing up with this inserted inline. Did you see any such problems? Since I'm running a pretty similar setup to yours (Onkyo NR3008 receiver -> Panny projector), I'm hoping that your experience will map to mine pretty closely.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

You bet.
Nope - no problems on my end. I think some people may have had problems when using shorter 6" HDMI cables...but that's probably cable brand dependent too. I think I'm using all 24 AWG monoprice cables. I think the shortest is a foot or so.
post #2619 of 3103 Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Hi Bryan,

You bet.
Nope - no problems on my end. I think some people may have had problems when using shorter 6" HDMI cables...but that's probably cable brand dependent too. I think I'm using all 24 AWG monoprice cables. I think the shortest is a foot or so.

Awesome, thank you!!!

p.s. Go Niners... smile.gif
post #2620 of 3103 Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Mario,

I continue to admire your theater and use it as inspiration for mine. What are your seating distances and do you think your screen size is ok for those distances? Also, what is the distance you mounted your panny from the screen? Is it bright enough for that screen size? Also, what is the distance between your columns(frabic area) on your side wall?

Thanks!
Ron
post #2621 of 3103 Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_C View Post

Hi Mario,

I continue to admire your theater and use it as inspiration for mine. What are your seating distances and do you think your screen size is ok for those distances? Also, what is the distance you mounted your panny from the screen? Is it bright enough for that screen size? Also, what is the distance between your columns(frabic area) on your side wall?

Thanks!
Ron

Hi Ron.

Thanks.
Here are some measurements:
Front Row: 8'6" from Front of Seat to screen
Back Row: 14'7" from Front of Seat to screen
Projector: 16'2" from Lens to Screen
Screen: 136" Wide 2.35
VIEWING DISTANCE TO BOTTOM OF SCREEN FROM CENTER FRONT ROW
* SEAT INCLINED: 10' 5 1/2"
* SEAT DECLINED: 11' 2"

I'll add the above measurements to my first post.

I believe I posted a diagram with the column spacing so I'll have to check through the thread.
post #2622 of 3103 Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM

great build, very inspiring work to see and motivation to get this done myself. I have a similar sized room in the basement ready to get built. If you don't mind me asking, other than your labor and HT/AV equipment, approximately how much was spent complete this project.
post #2623 of 3103 Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_C View Post

Hi Mario,

Thanks!
Ron

Ron,

Here's that diagram with the column spacing that I used in my theater. This may not apply to you. I tweaked them for best speaker placment.

It doesn't look like I ever posted this to the forum.
post #2624 of 3103 Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesharx View Post

great build, very inspiring work to see and motivation to get this done myself. I have a similar sized room in the basement ready to get built. If you don't mind me asking, other than your labor and HT/AV equipment, approximately how much was spent complete this project.

Hey Lonesharx,

Thanks for the compliments. I never really figured it out - nor do I plan to at this point. I think I'd be scared.

As an aside...It's amazing how much it costs just to clean up the rack and get all the specialty brackets and shelving. That stuff adds up quick.
post #2625 of 3103 Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Hey Lonesharx,

I never really figured it out - nor do I plan to at this point. I think I'd be scared.

Smart man! I haven't kept receipts because I don't want to know. I had some time the other day and started ballparking what I'd spent/intend to spend. I stopped when I got to $6k which doesn't include any electronic gear which I already had and doesn't include the area outside the theater and I started with a half finished room in a very modest build.

I think it's pretty safe when looking at construction of a quality HT space including sound proofing it's going to be $20-$30k in materials including maybe 30% of the construction farmed out (electrical, HVAC and perhaps drywall). Obviously you can spend alot less than this or a great deal more but in looking at some of the spaces here on AVS I think that estimate is fairly close.

Then factor in seating and electrical equipment and if you are looking for extras like lighting zones and bass shakers.

Anyway like Mario said it all really adds up quickly.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #2626 of 3103 Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM

Very nice!
post #2627 of 3103 Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 20
Do you have any lighting for your speakers behind the screen? I didn't find any pics in your thread. Thx.
post #2628 of 3103 Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17aggie View Post

Very nice!

Thanks for the nice comment!
post #2629 of 3103 Old 02-02-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have any lighting for your speakers behind the screen? I didn't find any pics in your thread. Thx.

No. I initially was planning to do something. But given the speakers are toed in and I just have denim behind the screen, I'm not sure how impressive it would really look.

I may just put a spot light back there one of these days to see if it catches my fancy.
post #2630 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Everyone keeps writing nice things to you so Ill mix it up. Im pretty pissed because I spent the weekend, literally a good 10+ hours, going through all 89 of your pages, and am more frustrated now! Im about to start building my theater. And when I say that I mean the parts that make it a theater. Ive got all the walls up, green glued, etc, so now its time for stage, columns, that stuff. And I had NO IDEA how much detail really goes into all of that. I have a model for my theater too and lets take the stage wall for example, I just have a box under the screen on the model. Now youve got me thinking how Ill get to the sub in the future, do I do lots of doors like you, or some other sort of access? I undertook this project without any previous carpentry skills and man did I learn so much from your build thread. I didnt know what a Kreg joint was, or when I would need to use bicuits. I didnt know frame molding required so much work, a special holder, etc.

So heres what I took from your build thread. I need to order easily another 500 dollars worth of tools. I need to plan many long nights staying up making samples to learn how to do it, then repeat it 50 times over in the theater. I need to really really finish my model, have it include physically how to build each component... and I need to stop thinking ill be done by the super bowl (last night lol). I really should bill you for all the head aches youve caused.

Just didnt want it to go to your head with everyone saying theyre inspired by your build. Frankly im a little depressed now at what lies ahead!!

haha I hope you know its just a joke man. Seriously, awesome theater. Its really interesting that my models went through a very similar history as yours. Ive learned a ton reading youre thread and Im sure youre going to notice some similarities when mines finished. My girlfriend been fighting me over wanting black and some of your pictures are making her come around. I gotta imagine your screen looks awesome with the lights out in that room.
post #2631 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Everyone keeps writing nice things to you so Ill mix it up. Im pretty pissed because I spent the weekend, literally a good 10+ hours, going through all 89 of your pages, and am more frustrated now! Im about to start building my theater. And when I say that I mean the parts that make it a theater. Ive got all the walls up, green glued, etc, so now its time for stage, columns, that stuff. And I had NO IDEA how much detail really goes into all of that. I have a model for my theater too and lets take the stage wall for example, I just have a box under the screen on the model. Now youve got me thinking how Ill get to the sub in the future, do I do lots of doors like you, or some other sort of access? I undertook this project without any previous carpentry skills and man did I learn so much from your build thread. I didnt know what a Kreg joint was, or when I would need to use bicuits. I didnt know frame molding required so much work, a special holder, etc.

So heres what I took from your build thread. I need to order easily another 500 dollars worth of tools. I need to plan many long nights staying up making samples to learn how to do it, then repeat it 50 times over in the theater. I need to really really finish my model, have it include physically how to build each component... and I need to stop thinking ill be done by the super bowl (last night lol). I really should bill you for all the head aches youve caused.

Just didnt want it to go to your head with everyone saying theyre inspired by your build. Frankly im a little depressed now at what lies ahead!!

haha I hope you know its just a joke man. Seriously, awesome theater. Its really interesting that my models went through a very similar history as yours. Ive learned a ton reading youre thread and Im sure youre going to notice some similarities when mines finished. My girlfriend been fighting me over wanting black and some of your pictures are making her come around. I gotta imagine your screen looks awesome with the lights out in that room.

Hi SKINSnCANES.

I'm glad I was able to help you spend more money. One of my friends doesn't let her husband come over too much anymore because he ends up with a long shopping list. smile.gif

Subs and speakers are pretty critical for any room, so if you don't plan for them during the build, you'll be extremely limited afterwards and may be forced to choose something other than what you had in mind. I would have been forced to purchase a much smaller sub unless I planned for how to get it in and out of the cabinet.

The good thing about tools is they can still be used after the project. So you'll get some extra returns down the road from the next project.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the theater and still tweaking along the way.

I appreciate your spin to the thread and your kind words. Good luck as you begin the next phase of your build.
post #2632 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We had a few people over for the Super Bowl last night. I didn't want the Movie Poster LED TV to go unused. So I found an image online just an hour before to fill in the space that worked out nicely.

Yet one more advantage to having the dynamic movie poster over the old-school paper posters. smile.gif

movie_poster_super_bowl_2013.jpg
post #2633 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi SKINSnCANES.

I'm glad I was able to help you spend more money. One of my friends doesn't let her husband come over too much anymore because he ends up with a long shopping list. smile.gif

Subs and speakers are pretty critical for any room, so if you don't plan for them during the build, you'll be extremely limited afterwards and may be forced to choose something other than what you had in mind. I would have been forced to purchase a much smaller sub unless I planned for how to get it in and out of the cabinet.

The good thing about tools is they can still be used after the project. So you'll get some extra returns down the road from the next project.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the theater and still tweaking along the way.

I appreciate your spin to the thread and your kind words. Good luck as you begin the next phase of your build.

Ive planned out the speaker locations and already have them. I more meant that Ill have a large number under the screen, behind some sort of fabric. But I never planned how to build that, or considered building it in a way that allows future access. Ive been putting a lot of time on trying to design the soffit in a way that has removable panels because Im running everything through there. I built teh room with no electricity or lights with the plan to have everything be run through the soffit. I figured it would sound proof more, or at least make it less work to sound proof, and allow me to run everything later without figuring out where it all went.

I just picked up so many little details from your thread. Like how you would try to use one piece of wood when making a frame molding. I had the hardest time finding straight wood at my home depot even for teh rough construction that didnt need to be precise. When you just look at a finished picture its easy to just think four quick cuts and youre done without knowing all the details involved.
post #2634 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Ridiculously cool.
post #2635 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We had a few people over for the Super Bowl last night. I didn't want the Movie Poster LED TV to go unused. So I found an image online just an hour before to fill in the space that worked out nicely.

Yet one more advantage to having the dynamic movie poster over the old-school paper posters. smile.gif

this is awesome. Im designing the entrance to my theater to be a hidden door in a book case so im not sure where I can put one of these. Its the opposite effect of a hidden theater to have an entrance with movie posters but man does it look cool. Im sure i can find a place to sneak one of those in though smile.gif
post #2636 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

That IS really awesome!! Now you makes me wanna get one instead of my LED poster frames..... tongue.gif
post #2637 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

That IS really awesome!! Now you makes me wanna get one instead of my LED poster frames..... tongue.gif

Yes, me too! Mario, do you have some type of turn-key product that you offer to allow others to run a setup like this?

Bryan
post #2638 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Mario inspired me to do an LED TV outside the theater room. I won't have the software like he does to do movie data and such but I'll at least be able to change the image easily. I would have loved to have had it ready for super bowl and made a poster image (being a designer it's easy for me to do). One thing I was thinking of is getting a mount that will allow you to switch from portrait to landscape so it can be used as a poster or in the event like a super bowl party where I'd have more people than space it can be used as an extra display for overflow.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #2639 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Ive planned out the speaker locations and already have them. I more meant that Ill have a large number under the screen, behind some sort of fabric. But I never planned how to build that, or considered building it in a way that allows future access. Ive been putting a lot of time on trying to design the soffit in a way that has removable panels because Im running everything through there. I built teh room with no electricity or lights with the plan to have everything be run through the soffit. I figured it would sound proof more, or at least make it less work to sound proof, and allow me to run everything later without figuring out where it all went.

I just picked up so many little details from your thread. Like how you would try to use one piece of wood when making a frame molding. I had the hardest time finding straight wood at my home depot even for teh rough construction that didnt need to be precise. When you just look at a finished picture its easy to just think four quick cuts and youre done without knowing all the details involved.

Yeah - you definitely don't want to build any subs permanently into your cabinets...unless maybe you are doing a DIY sub that you can keep the enclosure and swap the parts. The HSU sub I have has lots of dials on the back that you may want to play with at times to accomodate the room and sound you want.

Having the ability to run your wires through the soffit with access later is nice.

I'm glad you found some good tidbits of information in the thread. I think it helped that it was my first time woodworking too. So I provided probably a little more detail than some of the pro's here would since they may take it for granted that people know how to do certain things already.
post #2640 of 3103 Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

Yes, me too! Mario, do you have some type of turn-key product that you offer to allow others to run a setup like this?

Bryan

Sure Bryan.

Typically it's part of a bigger solution such as selecting and playing back movies via a changer or NAS, so each case may be slightly different. But I'd be happy to talk with you or anyone else that's interested in doing something similar in their theater. The scene's that I've created can easily be moved to anyone else's system with the right pieces in place.

Using the movie poster for the Super Bowl actually gave me another great idea for when the next season rolls around.

I should be able to display the current score of the game instead of some of the other data below the movie poster image...then display a graphic for the Green Bay Packers (insert your favorite team poster here) in place of the movie poster. People tend to move in/out of the theater quite frequently. So this will give them the latest score at all times.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page