Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2701 of 3084 Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
My sump alarm has gone off twice in the past few weeks. The float didn't seem to be obstructed and I didn't see anything floating in the sump so it leads me to believe my main sump may be failing. If I pushed the vertical float down and then back up again it fired just fine.
I've had this Little Giant for about 3 years now. Fortunately I'm still under warranty. Little Giant is sending out replacement parts to see if that resolves the problem the failing switch. We've had a lot of rain lately and my sump has been running quite a bit so it's been getting worked out for sure.

With the warmer weather and a need to have a better backup plan in place...I finally routed the backup sump drain underground and away from the house. Thanks to forum members for giving me ideas on how the parts to do this.
IMG_2495_small.jpg

Mario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3084 Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Fix it. FIX IT NOW. STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING AND FIX IT NOW!

I'm just saying, you do not want the consequences of NOT fixing it. There's really no telling what's going on with the watertable below ground, that you can't see. Your water table may not see the effects of a hard rain for two or three days to run from where ever it runs from. Just because it stopped raining, doesn't mean the water isn't still rising!

We haven't had a hard rain for about a week and my pump is STILL running pretty regularly. Let me tell you, I keep a close eye on the spring-fed pond across the street! Some day I need to actually measure the waterline against my basement floor height.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #2703 of 3084 Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Fix it. FIX IT NOW. STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING AND FIX IT NOW!

I'm just saying, you do not want the consequences of NOT fixing it. There's really no telling what's going on with the watertable below ground, that you can't see. Your water table may not see the effects of a hard rain for two or three days to run from where ever it runs from. Just because it stopped raining, doesn't mean the water isn't still rising!

We haven't had a hard rain for about a week and my pump is STILL running pretty regularly. Let me tell you, I keep a close eye on the spring-fed pond across the street! Some day I need to actually measure the waterline against my basement floor height.

Yup. I'm with ya. It usually takes 3 - 4 hours after heavy rain before the sump starts running frequently. My sump pretty much runs daily through-out the year unless we really hit a dry spell.

I tested my backup sump and it's working so I still have a backup in place.

I probably should have checked to see how long shipping of the replacement part is going to take from Little Giant. I'm tempted to buy another sump pump to have on hand, but the warranty starts the day you buy it. Ideally you have two main sumps the same so you have just swap them easily without having to adjust pipe depth and recut anything. It looks like the one I have though is already discontinued.

Mario

post #2704 of 3084 Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 41
Always seems like there's yet one more ditch to dig, huh... : )

post #2705 of 3084 Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

Always seems like there's yet one more ditch to dig, huh... : )

Yeah - I guess it's better to dig this ditch than dig out the theater though. smile.gif

I'm getting a little splashing as the water comes out of the 1.5" into the 5" right angle. I have the 1.5" centered to the 5" but I'm wondering if I move the 5" so the water is gushing right into the angle part it will prevent the splashing. Looks like I'm going to have to undig the pipe again so I can slide it a little.

Mario

post #2706 of 3084 Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just purchased one of these for my sump - worth the additional piece of mind of never having the float "stuck" IMO:

http://www.washerwatcher.com/sump_controller.htm
post #2707 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

I just purchased one of these for my sump - worth the additional piece of mind of never having the float "stuck" IMO:

http://www.washerwatcher.com/sump_controller.htm

Interesting. Did you get it setup yet?

Did you have to put the ground in?

The only downside I see is actually testing the sump to make sure it's working. It doesn't appear you can do a test trigger...or can you?

Mario

post #2708 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes, I have it installed now and running great. In my case the sump naturally runs about once a day, so to test it all I needed to do was ... wait smile.gif Otherwise you would need to pour water into the pit to test it.

I'm not sure what you mean by having to put the ground in?
post #2709 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/theater_shakes_with_112_surround_sound_d-box_motion_simulator

A big congrats to you Mario!! Very well deserved!! I must say your HT handily beats many professional installation as agreed on their Gold award!! wink.gif

~ Gary

)

post #2710 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/theater_shakes_with_112_surround_sound_d-box_motion_simulator

A big congrats to you Mario!! Very well deserved!! I must say your HT handily beats many professional installation as agreed on their Gold award!! wink.gif

It's about damn time!

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #2711 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 290
A well-deserved CONGRATULATIONS on the nice article in this national publication. It goes without saying that you are an inspiration to all those with the willingness and drive to make the most out of the DIY theater building experience!
post #2712 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Congratulations Mario! Very cool. cool.gif

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #2713 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Kudos to you Mario. Now alot of other people can see what we've had the pleasure to see come together!

~Dale

post #2714 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
As a famous potato once said, "Way to go, Idaho!"

- Nick Buol

post #2715 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Congrats Mario!! Glad to see your hard work get recognized. Nice to get a little extra pub in there for Cinemar too!

post #2716 of 3084 Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Congrats! very well deserved! one of my favorite theaters on AVS and EH. Truly a work of art!

post #2717 of 3084 Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Congrats! Well deserved!

post #2718 of 3084 Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Congratulations Mario on the article!!! Well deserved for a great guy, great thread and great theater!

Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #2719 of 3084 Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Congrats on the article Mario - your theater is my favorite on this forum!

My theater is in the wiring stage, and I'm looking ahead to the woodworking.

I've got a question for you - what did you think about the table saw you used? Obviously you were able to do exquisite work with it, but if you had to do it all again - would you use the same saw or go a different route?

Thanks,
Schlemstar

Check out my build thread:
post #2720 of 3084 Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. I was honored to place let alone take home the Gold award!

Mario

post #2721 of 3084 Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Congrats Mario!! Glad to see your hard work get recognized. Nice to get a little extra pub in there for Cinemar too!

Yeah. Of the 11 theaters that won in the "Best Home Theater" categories, two of them are Cinemar controlled and won the Gold.

A big congratulations to one of our Cinemar controlled customers Max Hockenberry. His home theater won Gold in the $75k - $150k category. Designed by Theo Kalomirakis, it's an incredibly gorgeous theater.
Take a look:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/stratospheric_sound_system_takes_high-performance_theater_up_a_notch

Score one (or two) for the little guys. smile.gif

Mario

post #2722 of 3084 Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Congratulations Mario on the article!!! Well deserved for a great guy, great thread and great theater!

Hi Jeff. Thanks. The theater just wouldn't be the same without your incredible hand painted star ceiling!

Mario

post #2723 of 3084 Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post

Congrats on the article Mario - your theater is my favorite on this forum!

My theater is in the wiring stage, and I'm looking ahead to the woodworking.

I've got a question for you - what did you think about the table saw you used? Obviously you were able to do exquisite work with it, but if you had to do it all again - would you use the same saw or go a different route?

Thanks,
Schlemstar

Schlemstar,

Congrats on getting to the wiring stage. One more step forward!

I am by no means a table saw expert. In fact, I just borrowed a really inexpensive one from my brother for the project. I'd probably spring for something a little more solid. I came really close a couple times to buying one with a little more stability but never bit the bullet.

I was torn between getting a track saw and/or a table saw. Working with 8x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF by yourself on a table saw can be challenging. That's why I was almost leaning towards investing in a track saw instead. I just thought it would be easier to use by myself for ripping them down. Ideally you'd have both for different scenarios.

I've heard that Big would have his MDF ripped down to size right at Lowe's. Although I never did this...it sure would have been nice and saved my back hauling them from outside to inside the theater.

You might take a look at something like this:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/tracksaw/products/

It's been a while, but I thought I was close to buying this Bosch table saw based upon some positive reviews on the AVS and other forums:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_294100-353-4100-09_0__?productId=1208633&Ntt=bosch+table+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dbosch%2Btable%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

A routing table would have been nice as well with all the cabinet doors I did for the project.

Your needs may be different depending upon your design. Hope this helps.

Mario

post #2724 of 3084 Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

I was torn between getting a track saw and/or a table saw. Working with 8x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF by yourself on a table saw can be challenging. That's why I was almost leaning towards investing in a track saw instead. I just thought it would be easier to use by myself for ripping them down. Ideally you'd have both for different scenarios.

Yes, +1 on the tracksaw idea. I have the DeWalt that Mario references and it is so trivially easy to use that it almost feels like you're cheating. smile.gif Also, the results are excellent and rival those of a good table saw. What you can't do with a track saw are things like a lot of repeated cuts of the exact same dimension, cut rabbets or dadoes, and handle small pieces. But many of those operations can be done very nicely with a router and/or router table.

If you do go the tracksaw route, buy a 4x8' piece of rigid insulation and use this as your cutting surface under the workpiece. Adjust the saw so the blade only protrudes under the workpiece by 1/16" - 1/8". That insulation will last you for years.

HTH,
Bryan

post #2725 of 3084 Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 831
This is one of the best threads I have read in a long time! Congrats Mario

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2726 of 3084 Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, +1 on the tracksaw idea. I have the DeWalt that Mario references and it is so trivially easy to use that it almost feels like you're cheating. smile.gif Also, the results are excellent and rival those of a good table saw. What you can't do with a track saw are things like a lot of repeated cuts of the exact same dimension, cut rabbets or dadoes, and handle small pieces. But many of those operations can be done very nicely with a router and/or router table.

If you do go the tracksaw route, buy a 4x8' piece of rigid insulation and use this as your cutting surface under the workpiece. Adjust the saw so the blade only protrudes under the workpiece by 1/16" - 1/8". That insulation will last you for years.

HTH,
Bryan

Bryan,

All great points. Sounds like it would be ideal to have both the tracksaw and table saw.

Love the tip on the 4x8' piece of rigid insulation.

Mario

post #2727 of 3084 Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This is one of the best threads I have read in a long time! Congrats Mario

Thanks so much Mfusick. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Mario

post #2728 of 3084 Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Do you have a preference on the Onkyo versus Denon debate?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2729 of 3084 Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

HTH,
Bryan

... things like a lot of repeated cuts of the exact same dimension??

Festool has address the repeatable cuts issue with their Parallel guides. They attach to the rail for repetitive cuts of the same dimension

A track saw is a must to break down sheet goods. It is much safer taking the saw to the material vs taking the material to the saw.

GPowers

post #2730 of 3084 Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

things like a lot of repeated cuts of the exact same dimension??

Festool has address the repeatable cuts with their Parallel guides. The attach to the rail for repetitive cuts of the same dimension

Nice; I didn't know they had that. Happy to modify my statement to "quickly and easily do a number of repeated cuts..." smile.gif

I think the bottom line, as Mario states and is so often the case with shop tools, is that each has its own strengths and if you have the space and the means, it's nice to have an assortment of tools. For those just starting out and contemplating a project like Mario's (or perhaps slightly less ambitious), a track saw, router table, and Kreg pocket screw kit is a very reasonable and capable set of tools.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page