post #2791 of 3067 Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Mario, I am looking to do my theater very similar to yours. My ceiling is lower than yours and will not be anywhere as nice......no DBox either.

I am interested in your opinion on the drywall. I plan on going OSB for the first layer as you did and then drywall. Going with wainscotting and fabric, is it worth the effort to tape, mud and sand the drywall? I was considering just filling with acoustical caulk since it will never be seen.

Is there something gained by finishing it?

Hi Jeff,

There may be some sound proofing gained by taping/mudding those seams...but how much I do not know. Might be a good question for the Sound Proofing company. I would definitely prime the bare drywall though regardless even if it will be covered with fabric frames. I'm assuming you may have to tape/mud the ceiling so maybe doing the whole room is much more work.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3067 Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man oh Man! reading your thread like following star trek episodes. Just can't get enough of it, Have learnt enormously throughout your thread. Thank you.
post #2793 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Hi Jeff,

There may be some sound proofing gained by taping/mudding those seams...but how much I do not know. Might be a good question for the Sound Proofing company. I would definitely prime the bare drywall though regardless even if it will be covered with fabric frames. I'm assuming you may have to tape/mud the ceiling so maybe doing the whole room is much more work.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. Ceiling was already done. Double drywall. I definitely planned on priming the drywall on the walls.

Soundproofing Company who you would suggest to purchase acoustical caulking from?

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2794 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for the information. Ceiling was already done. Double drywall. I definitely planned on priming the drywall on the walls.

Soundproofing Company who you would suggest to purchase acoustical caulking from?
I think he meant "The Sound Proofing Company" It's the name of the company.

post #2795 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

I think he meant "The Sound Proofing Company" It's the name of the company.

I was just cofirming that he suggests buying it from Ted's company

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2796 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

post #2797 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

No worries. It was my fault missing the word "is" in my sentence. It was easy to think what you thought from what I typed. I m the one who was off.

Hans for the help though. It was kind of you.

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2798 of 3067 Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2013 View Post

Man oh Man! reading your thread like following star trek episodes. Just can't get enough of it, Have learnt enormously throughout your thread. Thank you.

Thanks so much kk2013!
post #2799 of 3067 Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. They were extremely helpful during my process and took a lot of time to educate me.
post #2800 of 3067 Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM

I'm in the process of getting prices from them. Still waiting on a price for the door jams and bottom door seal.

Once I have that, I'm ready to order.

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2801 of 3067 Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in the process of getting prices from them. Still waiting on a price for the door jams and bottom door seal.

Once I have that, I'm ready to order.

Sounds great Jeff. Very exciting and good luck!
post #2802 of 3067 Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
I followed this build on and off for quite a while, and it came together so amazingly well. Great work and hello from a fellow Kenosha-an!
post #2803 of 3067 Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM

I was looking for which saw horses and clamps you used. I can not find it now, but I recall reading about the clamps a month ago. I just can not find it now. Would you mind giving me your recommendation. Also, did you ever buy a track saw? I recall you commenting on them, but I think it was too late at that point in the project.

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2804 of 3067 Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleat View Post

I followed this build on and off for quite a while, and it came together so amazingly well. Great work and hello from a fellow Kenosha-an!

Thanks Fleat.

Your the third or fourth local Kenosha person in this thread. It's great to see that as big as the AVS is, that even locals can connect through it with similar interests.
post #2805 of 3067 Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was looking for which saw horses and clamps you used. I can not find it now, but I recall reading about the clamps a month ago. I just can not find it now. Would you mind giving me your recommendation. Also, did you ever buy a track saw? I recall you commenting on them, but I think it was too late at that point in the project.

Hi Jeff,

I've had these saw horses for 10+ years (2 of them):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-OPP-Workmate-Saw-Horse-and-Vise-WM125/100671605#.UkwhLLEo5aQ

It would have been nice to have 1 or 2 more when dealing with the 8x4 sheets of MDF in certain scenarios.

I used this frame clamp:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/clamp-mate-frame-clamp/p-1442526-c-9135.htm

I used various sizes of these hand clamps from Menards:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/24-ratcheting-bar-clamp/p-1497908-c-9135.htm
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/12-ratcheting-bar-clamp/p-1497907-c-9135.htm
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/6-ratcheting-bar-clamp/p-1497906-c-9135.htm

I found some that looked similar from Harbor Freight at a cheaper price, but one broke the first time I used it. So I took them back and bought a few more of the ones from Menards.

I never did end up buying a track saw. I was nearing the end of the project when I learned that they even existed. If I knew I was going to be making all those columns out of MDF again, I would have bought it right off the bat.
post #2806 of 3067 Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the detailed information. I appreciate it.

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #2807 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Home Theater Of The Month! YAY!

Should be Home Theater Of The Year!

Home Theater of the Month: Mover and Shaker
Mfusick likes this.
post #2808 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WooHoo!!! Congrats Mario! Very well deserved!!
post #2809 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Congratz!!!

post #2810 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48

That is awesome.  Congratulations!!!

post #2811 of 3067 Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 93
post #2812 of 3067 Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone.

Scott did an excellent write up on my theater that showcases many aspects of the build. Definitely worth checking out if you have a chance.

With so many great theaters on this forum and only 1 slot available each month, it's truly an honor to be selected as the AVS Home Theater of the Month.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494214/home-theater-of-the-month-mover-and-shaker
post #2813 of 3067 Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Liked: 40
Awesome and certainly a great choice for virtually any "best of" award!! smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #2814 of 3067 Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Liked: 11
I love it... Thanks for sharing with us.
post #2815 of 3067 Old 10-12-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
+1 on the congrats and the detailed 1st post with links.
I see the last one below is not linked, I'd like to see your room acoustics strategy, design, construction, and confirmation posts.
Quote:
* Working on Room Acoustics, Picture, Automation User Interface
post #2816 of 3067 Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys for the congrats on the AVS Home Theater of the Month.

mtbdudex,
I still have yet to revisit REW room measurements. Now that winter is approaching I'll probably tackle that. Another local AVS member has offered to help me out in that area. So I'm anxious to see what improvements can be made.
post #2817 of 3067 Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM

Liked: 10
Congratulations on a outstanding job start to finish. You simply cannot be complemented enough on the room you put together.

I am in the planning stages of my build. Your room grabbed my attention because it shared some featers that I wanted in my theater, and now that I went through your build it will share a few more(sorry). I started to read your thread from the middle and was considering sending you a PM, to ask if you could provide a render with tan fabric, when I reread from the start you can imagine my surprise.

I have some tool questions as I will need to make quite a few purchases in this department. If there is a tool post, just let me know and I will find it.

Kreg jig - If I remember you bought the master version, In hind sight would you purchase this again over the K4 pocket system? Did you continue to use kreg screws, or did you purchase something similar?

Skill Table saw - I know this was a loaner, did it meet your needs? I remember it having trouble with a few thin rips, was that all?

Dewalt miter saw - Was this double or single bevel? I know you coped a few joints, but got good results with the miter/bevel, any reason you coped those few joints, if you had to do it all over would you cope or miter?

Porter cable compressor/nailer compo - I know you got the finish nailer, brad nailer, stapler compresser combo. then got a us58 stapler

would you repurchase these items

how did you determine/can you give a few examples of when you used the nailer vs brad nailer, is it based on the depth of the material?

Thanks for all of the details and time you put into the thread, it will make a world of difference for those of us starting our builds.

-jay
post #2818 of 3067 Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmithpharmd View Post

Congratulations on a outstanding job start to finish. You simply cannot be complemented enough on the room you put together.

I am in the planning stages of my build. Your room grabbed my attention because it shared some featers that I wanted in my theater, and now that I went through your build it will share a few more(sorry). I started to read your thread from the middle and was considering sending you a PM, to ask if you could provide a render with tan fabric, when I reread from the start you can imagine my surprise.

I have some tool questions as I will need to make quite a few purchases in this department. If there is a tool post, just let me know and I will find it.

Kreg jig - If I remember you bought the master version, In hind sight would you purchase this again over the K4 pocket system? Did you continue to use kreg screws, or did you purchase something similar?

Skill Table saw - I know this was a loaner, did it meet your needs? I remember it having trouble with a few thin rips, was that all?

Dewalt miter saw - Was this double or single bevel? I know you coped a few joints, but got good results with the miter/bevel, any reason you coped those few joints, if you had to do it all over would you cope or miter?

Porter cable compressor/nailer compo - I know you got the finish nailer, brad nailer, stapler compresser combo. then got a us58 stapler

would you repurchase these items

how did you determine/can you give a few examples of when you used the nailer vs brad nailer, is it based on the depth of the material?

Thanks for all of the details and time you put into the thread, it will make a world of difference for those of us starting our builds.

-jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks so much for popping in to the thread. Very much appreciated.

In regards to your hardware questions, I would purchase the K4MS all over again.

I think it would have been nice to have a better Table Saw. I think I was eyeing a Bosch at the time but never pulled the trigger.

I bought the DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. At the time it came with a free stand. (DWX723 Heavy Duty Miter Saw Stand)
I bought this rolling miter saw stand over the summer and really enjoy it. It makes getting the saw in and out of the garage really easy. I really love this saw. But I'm no expert.

I was forced to cope two inside corners. There just wasn't away around it.

I also love my Porter cable combo. I'd definitely go that route again. I think it was a good value for the money. I'm pretty sure I outlined in this thread what type of nailer I used for various tasks. It really depends on the material thickness and whether or not you'll see the nail head in the end.

It would have been nice to have a track saw and two more horses.

Hope that helps.
post #2819 of 3067 Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Im not sure if its been asked and before I do, thank you for indexing your build, I know I got a lot flak for asking you of such but its really helped me learn more about the process and have a referance that I can go back to whenever I need to figure something out so again thank you.

I am currently using Chief Architect x5 for my design process and its able to load 3d symbols, I was wondering if your chairs are available for such? I have yet to find anything that looks like proper theater seating and I would really appreciate it if I could use your chair design. If not I understand, I figured it was worth a shot in asking.

post #2820 of 3067 Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Thanks guys for the congrats on the AVS Home Theater of the Month.

mtbdudex,
I still have yet to revisit REW room measurements. Now that winter is approaching I'll probably tackle that. Another local AVS member has offered to help me out in that area. So I'm anxious to see what improvements can be made.

100% agree on wintertime being perfect for those "indoor sports".....like acoustic measurements biggrin.gif
Really that is same for me, kids/life/work/yada-yada during spring/summer/fall, winter seems time to get this stuff done.

Buy yourself one of the newer calibrated USB measurement mics, there is a great thread here to support and guide you
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

+1 on KERG K4MS system, I've used mine for countless applications once I got it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page