The Cinemar Home Theater Construction Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2791 of 3067 Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Mario, I am looking to do my theater very similar to yours. My ceiling is lower than yours and will not be anywhere as nice......no DBox either.

I am interested in your opinion on the drywall. I plan on going OSB for the first layer as you did and then drywall. Going with wainscotting and fabric, is it worth the effort to tape, mud and sand the drywall? I was considering just filling with acoustical caulk since it will never be seen.

Is there something gained by finishing it?

Hi Jeff,

There may be some sound proofing gained by taping/mudding those seams...but how much I do not know. Might be a good question for the Sound Proofing company. I would definitely prime the bare drywall though regardless even if it will be covered with fabric frames. I'm assuming you may have to tape/mud the ceiling so maybe doing the whole room is much more work.

Hope that helps.
mcascio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2792 of 3067 Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Member
 
kk2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man oh Man! reading your thread like following star trek episodes. Just can't get enough of it, Have learnt enormously throughout your thread. Thank you.
kk2013 is offline  
post #2793 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Hi Jeff,

There may be some sound proofing gained by taping/mudding those seams...but how much I do not know. Might be a good question for the Sound Proofing company. I would definitely prime the bare drywall though regardless even if it will be covered with fabric frames. I'm assuming you may have to tape/mud the ceiling so maybe doing the whole room is much more work.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. Ceiling was already done. Double drywall. I definitely planned on priming the drywall on the walls.

Soundproofing Company who you would suggest to purchase acoustical caulking from?

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
post #2794 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Thanks for the information. Ceiling was already done. Double drywall. I definitely planned on priming the drywall on the walls.

Soundproofing Company who you would suggest to purchase acoustical caulking from?
I think he meant "The Sound Proofing Company" It's the name of the company.

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #2795 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

I think he meant "The Sound Proofing Company" It's the name of the company.

I was just cofirming that he suggests buying it from Ted's company

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
post #2796 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

I was just cofirming that he suggests buying it from Ted's company
Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #2797 of 3067 Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

No worries. It was my fault missing the word "is" in my sentence. It was easy to think what you thought from what I typed. I m the one who was off.

Hans for the help though. It was kind of you.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
post #2798 of 3067 Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2013 View Post

Man oh Man! reading your thread like following star trek episodes. Just can't get enough of it, Have learnt enormously throughout your thread. Thank you.

Thanks so much kk2013!
mcascio is offline  
post #2799 of 3067 Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

I was just cofirming that he suggests buying it from Ted's company

Yes. They were extremely helpful during my process and took a lot of time to educate me.
mcascio is offline  
post #2800 of 3067 Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm in the process of getting prices from them. Still waiting on a price for the door jams and bottom door seal.

Once I have that, I'm ready to order.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
post #2801 of 3067 Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

I'm in the process of getting prices from them. Still waiting on a price for the door jams and bottom door seal.

Once I have that, I'm ready to order.

Sounds great Jeff. Very exciting and good luck!
mcascio is offline  
post #2802 of 3067 Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Newbie
 
Fleat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kenosha, WI (USA)
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I followed this build on and off for quite a while, and it came together so amazingly well. Great work and hello from a fellow Kenosha-an!
Fleat is offline  
post #2803 of 3067 Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I was looking for which saw horses and clamps you used. I can not find it now, but I recall reading about the clamps a month ago. I just can not find it now. Would you mind giving me your recommendation. Also, did you ever buy a track saw? I recall you commenting on them, but I think it was too late at that point in the project.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
post #2804 of 3067 Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleat View Post

I followed this build on and off for quite a while, and it came together so amazingly well. Great work and hello from a fellow Kenosha-an!

Thanks Fleat.

Your the third or fourth local Kenosha person in this thread. It's great to see that as big as the AVS is, that even locals can connect through it with similar interests.
mcascio is offline  
post #2805 of 3067 Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

I was looking for which saw horses and clamps you used. I can not find it now, but I recall reading about the clamps a month ago. I just can not find it now. Would you mind giving me your recommendation. Also, did you ever buy a track saw? I recall you commenting on them, but I think it was too late at that point in the project.

Hi Jeff,

I've had these saw horses for 10+ years (2 of them):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-OPP-Workmate-Saw-Horse-and-Vise-WM125/100671605#.UkwhLLEo5aQ

It would have been nice to have 1 or 2 more when dealing with the 8x4 sheets of MDF in certain scenarios.

I used this frame clamp:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/clamp-mate-frame-clamp/p-1442526-c-9135.htm

I used various sizes of these hand clamps from Menards:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/24-ratcheting-bar-clamp/p-1497908-c-9135.htm
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/12-ratcheting-bar-clamp/p-1497907-c-9135.htm
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/6-ratcheting-bar-clamp/p-1497906-c-9135.htm

I found some that looked similar from Harbor Freight at a cheaper price, but one broke the first time I used it. So I took them back and bought a few more of the ones from Menards.

I never did end up buying a track saw. I was nearing the end of the project when I learned that they even existed. If I knew I was going to be making all those columns out of MDF again, I would have bought it right off the bat.
mcascio is offline  
post #2806 of 3067 Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for the detailed information. I appreciate it.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
post #2807 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Home Theater Of The Month! YAY!

Should be Home Theater Of The Year!

Home Theater of the Month: Mover and Shaker
Mfusick likes this.
nickbuol is online now  
post #2808 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
GWCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WooHoo!!! Congrats Mario! Very well deserved!!
GWCR is offline  
post #2809 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Congratz!!!

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #2810 of 3067 Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
avtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48

That is awesome.  Congratulations!!!

avtexan is offline  
post #2811 of 3067 Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 93
cw5billwade is offline  
post #2812 of 3067 Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks everyone.

Scott did an excellent write up on my theater that showcases many aspects of the build. Definitely worth checking out if you have a chance.

With so many great theaters on this forum and only 1 slot available each month, it's truly an honor to be selected as the AVS Home Theater of the Month.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494214/home-theater-of-the-month-mover-and-shaker
mcascio is offline  
post #2813 of 3067 Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
cowger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Awesome and certainly a great choice for virtually any "best of" award!! smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.
cowger is offline  
post #2814 of 3067 Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Member
 
dubboxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I love it... Thanks for sharing with us.
dubboxster is offline  
post #2815 of 3067 Old 10-12-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
+1 on the congrats and the detailed 1st post with links.
I see the last one below is not linked, I'd like to see your room acoustics strategy, design, construction, and confirmation posts.
Quote:
* Working on Room Acoustics, Picture, Automation User Interface
mtbdudex is online now  
post #2816 of 3067 Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks guys for the congrats on the AVS Home Theater of the Month.

mtbdudex,
I still have yet to revisit REW room measurements. Now that winter is approaching I'll probably tackle that. Another local AVS member has offered to help me out in that area. So I'm anxious to see what improvements can be made.
mcascio is offline  
post #2817 of 3067 Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Member
 
jasonsmithpharmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congratulations on a outstanding job start to finish. You simply cannot be complemented enough on the room you put together.

I am in the planning stages of my build. Your room grabbed my attention because it shared some featers that I wanted in my theater, and now that I went through your build it will share a few more(sorry). I started to read your thread from the middle and was considering sending you a PM, to ask if you could provide a render with tan fabric, when I reread from the start you can imagine my surprise.

I have some tool questions as I will need to make quite a few purchases in this department. If there is a tool post, just let me know and I will find it.

Kreg jig - If I remember you bought the master version, In hind sight would you purchase this again over the K4 pocket system? Did you continue to use kreg screws, or did you purchase something similar?

Skill Table saw - I know this was a loaner, did it meet your needs? I remember it having trouble with a few thin rips, was that all?

Dewalt miter saw - Was this double or single bevel? I know you coped a few joints, but got good results with the miter/bevel, any reason you coped those few joints, if you had to do it all over would you cope or miter?

Porter cable compressor/nailer compo - I know you got the finish nailer, brad nailer, stapler compresser combo. then got a us58 stapler

would you repurchase these items

how did you determine/can you give a few examples of when you used the nailer vs brad nailer, is it based on the depth of the material?


Thanks for all of the details and time you put into the thread, it will make a world of difference for those of us starting our builds.

-jay
jasonsmithpharmd is offline  
post #2818 of 3067 Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mcascio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kenosha, WI USA
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmithpharmd View Post

Congratulations on a outstanding job start to finish. You simply cannot be complemented enough on the room you put together.

I am in the planning stages of my build. Your room grabbed my attention because it shared some featers that I wanted in my theater, and now that I went through your build it will share a few more(sorry). I started to read your thread from the middle and was considering sending you a PM, to ask if you could provide a render with tan fabric, when I reread from the start you can imagine my surprise.

I have some tool questions as I will need to make quite a few purchases in this department. If there is a tool post, just let me know and I will find it.

Kreg jig - If I remember you bought the master version, In hind sight would you purchase this again over the K4 pocket system? Did you continue to use kreg screws, or did you purchase something similar?

Skill Table saw - I know this was a loaner, did it meet your needs? I remember it having trouble with a few thin rips, was that all?

Dewalt miter saw - Was this double or single bevel? I know you coped a few joints, but got good results with the miter/bevel, any reason you coped those few joints, if you had to do it all over would you cope or miter?

Porter cable compressor/nailer compo - I know you got the finish nailer, brad nailer, stapler compresser combo. then got a us58 stapler

would you repurchase these items

how did you determine/can you give a few examples of when you used the nailer vs brad nailer, is it based on the depth of the material?


Thanks for all of the details and time you put into the thread, it will make a world of difference for those of us starting our builds.

-jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks so much for popping in to the thread. Very much appreciated.

In regards to your hardware questions, I would purchase the K4MS all over again.

I think it would have been nice to have a better Table Saw. I think I was eyeing a Bosch at the time but never pulled the trigger.

I bought the DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. At the time it came with a free stand. (DWX723 Heavy Duty Miter Saw Stand)
I bought this rolling miter saw stand over the summer and really enjoy it. It makes getting the saw in and out of the garage really easy. I really love this saw. But I'm no expert.

I was forced to cope two inside corners. There just wasn't away around it.

I also love my Porter cable combo. I'd definitely go that route again. I think it was a good value for the money. I'm pretty sure I outlined in this thread what type of nailer I used for various tasks. It really depends on the material thickness and whether or not you'll see the nail head in the end.

It would have been nice to have a track saw and two more horses.

Hope that helps.
mcascio is offline  
post #2819 of 3067 Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Im not sure if its been asked and before I do, thank you for indexing your build, I know I got a lot flak for asking you of such but its really helped me learn more about the process and have a referance that I can go back to whenever I need to figure something out so again thank you.

I am currently using Chief Architect x5 for my design process and its able to load 3d symbols, I was wondering if your chairs are available for such? I have yet to find anything that looks like proper theater seating and I would really appreciate it if I could use your chair design. If not I understand, I figured it was worth a shot in asking.

Daniel Chaves is online now  
post #2820 of 3067 Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Thanks guys for the congrats on the AVS Home Theater of the Month.

mtbdudex,
I still have yet to revisit REW room measurements. Now that winter is approaching I'll probably tackle that. Another local AVS member has offered to help me out in that area. So I'm anxious to see what improvements can be made.

100% agree on wintertime being perfect for those "indoor sports".....like acoustic measurements biggrin.gif
Really that is same for me, kids/life/work/yada-yada during spring/summer/fall, winter seems time to get this stuff done.

Buy yourself one of the newer calibrated USB measurement mics, there is a great thread here to support and guide you
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

+1 on KERG K4MS system, I've used mine for countless applications once I got it.
mtbdudex is online now  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off