The Cinemar Home Theater Construction Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum
First ... 95  96  97 98  99  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > The Cinemar Home Theater Construction Thread
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 03:50 PM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Mario, a question about your seating positions:

I have a similar size screen and my room dimensions are the same width as yours, but about 2-3 feet more depth. Would you hold the seating distances you have used if you had a bit more room, or would you move each row back a foot? I'm looking to hold about your distances, but I'm curious about how you feel since you live those distances?

Hi Jeff,

I've been happy with my front row seating distance especially since I'm always reclined which adds to the viewing distance. Obviously moving the front row will also move the back row. I have some friends that like the back row too. I like the enveloping feel when I'm in the front. After watching it from the front for so long, the back row seems like the screen is a bit smaller. But when I first sat in the theater, I thought the back row was actually more ideal. But I've grown to love the front row much more. If I had the option of an extra 2-3' in the back of my room, I would have kept the seats where they were and added a back bar for overflow. If you plan to make your front row your primary seat, I don't think it would make too much of a difference to move it back a foot.

As a side note, I went to the commercial theater today for the first time since 1993 when Jurassic Park I came out. Man...that's 21 years since my last visit to a theater that wasn't my own. It really makes me appreciate the experience of my own home theater...especially the comfortable seating, better picture and sound. Plus, I typically don't get a soda thrown at me from a small child in the row behind me like I did today. smile.gif

7channelfreak's Avatar 7channelfreak 05:52 PM 01-04-2014
What did you go see after 21 years? And was it worth it?
Jeff in Canada's Avatar Jeff in Canada 06:21 PM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Hi Jeff,

I've been happy with my front row seating distance especially since I'm always reclined which adds to the viewing distance. Obviously moving the front row will also move the back row. I have some friends that like the back row too. I like the enveloping feel when I'm in the front. After watching it from the front for so long, the back row seems like the screen is a bit smaller. But when I first sat in the theater, I thought the back row was actually more ideal. But I've grown to love the front row much more. If I had the option of an extra 2-3' in the back of my room, I would have kept the seats where they were and added a back bar for overflow. If you plan to make your front row your primary seat, I don't think it would make too much of a difference to move it back a foot.

As a side note, I went to the commercial theater today for the first time since 1993 when Jurassic Park I came out. Man...that's 21 years since my last visit to a theater that wasn't my own. It really makes me appreciate the experience of my own home theater...especially the comfortable seating, better picture and sound. Plus, I typically don't get a soda thrown at me from a small child in the row behind me like I did today. smile.gif

MY current plan was to use the 2-3' extra feet for the bar coutner in the back. I've already wired it throgh the riser. I have four theater seats in teh front row and was going to put a couch i teh second row but space it for the future (theater seats). There are 3 of us in the house, so I'm strongly considering just spacing for a couch in the second row even for the future. This would back up the front row a foot. Second row would stay unchanged.

Thanks for the advice.I'm going t lay out the foor both ways and see if I like the extra foot or not.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:18 PM 01-04-2014
Would like say thanks for your thorough details of sub build. It was a solid guide getting started. Used many of the items you resourced and made changes for my unique situation. The truck liner suggestion turned out well and like finish on my Diysoundgroup boxes better than my JTR S2!

Haven't been though your thread completely but it's an asset to have in this community!

BTW, congrats on your room' accolades.......well deserved!
Jeff in Canada's Avatar Jeff in Canada 08:18 PM 01-04-2014
I have a question about something you didn't end up doing, but if you had I wanted to know your plan.

The island/bar top in the back: How woudl they have handled the carpet? Would they have had to cut the carpet and seam it to get around the legs, or would they have laid the carpet, then you would have just cut it where the feet for the island would go and secure it to the rister that way?
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 07:56 AM 01-05-2014
Quote:

I have a question about something you didn't end up doing, but if you had I wanted to know your plan.

The island/bar top in the back: How woudl they have handled the carpet? Would they have had to cut the carpet and seam it to get around the legs, or would they have laid the carpet, then you would have just cut it where the feet for the island would go and secure it to the rister that way?

In my case, behind the back row is all cement. When I spoke to the carpet guy he would have preferred to lay the carpet around the bar. But I wasn't committed to doing it so for me it was going to on top of the carpet after I had a chance to feel out the space.

It's possible that the bar I designed may have just stood well on the carpet alone if designed right plus given the weight of the granite top. My guess is I probably would have put at least two anchors into the cement through the carpet.
Jeff in Canada's Avatar Jeff in Canada 08:10 AM 01-05-2014
Thanks again Mario
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn 08:55 AM 01-05-2014
Quote:

In my case, behind the back row is all cement. When I spoke to the carpet guy he would have preferred to lay the carpet around the bar. But I wasn't committed to doing it so for me it was going to on top of the carpet after I had a chance to feel out the space.

It's possible that the bar I designed may have just stood well on the carpet alone if designed right plus given the weight of the granite top. My guess is I probably would have put at least two anchors into the cement through the carpet.

I did my bar counter after the carpet was layed,mine has round 2.5" legs that I made from PVC pipe and painted black. The counter I made using wood for a base and glass tiles as the surface it is anchored only at the counter top/ backside where it has extended ends that are connected to pillars on the left and right with screws. The thing is heavy there is no movement at all and I have JTR 's speakers and 8 Rythmik subs which I enjoy playing at reference level for movies. Mario I think you can still get a bar/counter in your space , our rooms length is about the same, mine is 286" long.

PeterV
Jeff in Canada's Avatar Jeff in Canada 11:12 AM 01-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

I did my bar counter after the carpet was layed,mine has round 2.5" legs that I made from PVC pipe and painted black. The counter I made using wood for a base and glass tiles as the surface it is anchored only at the counter top/ backside where it has extended ends that are connected to pillars on the left and right with screws. The thing is heavy there is no movement at all and I have JTR 's speakers and 8 Rythmik subs which I enjoy playing at reference level for movies. Mario I think you can still get a bar/counter in your space , our rooms length is about the same, mine is 286" long.

PeterV

I think the issue for Mario's room is that the door is in the back. It is a bit tight for him to walk around the edge of the bar if he put one in. My door is on the side and I suspect yours is as well. That gives you room if it is not the main path everytime you go in the room.

Peter, how much room did you leave between the back of Row 2 and the back wall? How deep is your counter top?
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 11:15 AM 01-05-2014
Most counters are 16" deep...Just enough to lean the elbows, sit drinks and maybe a laptop. Although I have seen deeper back bars in theaters that have the extra room.
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn 12:27 PM 01-05-2014
Quote:

I think the issue for Mario's room is that the door is in the back. It is a bit tight for him to walk around the edge of the bar if he put one in. My door is on the side and I suspect yours is as well. That gives you room if it is not the main path everytime you go in the room.

Peter, how much room did you leave between the back of Row 2 and the back wall? How deep is your counter top?

Hi Jeff,
The back wall to the back of the 2nd rows chairs back is 103" the counter measures 88" wide, end to end. It's depth is 31" overall at the ends only, with a usable area of 21"depth by 103" wide and has two cup holders one on each end. It's right behind the back row of seats, the chairs are on a platform that is 12.5 high. The counter is bar height, the stools are adjustable up or down. And I have 60" from the back wall to the bar/counter.

PeterV
Jeff in Canada's Avatar Jeff in Canada 12:30 PM 01-05-2014
Quote:

Hi Jeff,
The back wall to the back of the 2nd rows chairs back is 88",the counter measures 103" wide, end to end. It's depth is 31" overall at the ends only, with a usable area of 21"depth by 103" wide and has two cup holders one on each end. It's right behind the back row of seats, the chairs are on a platform that is 12.5 high. The counter is bar height, the stools are adjustable up or down. And I have 60" from the back wall to the bar/counter.

PeterV

Thank you Peter. Do you ahve a theater build thread? The build looks nice. The wainsscotting looks like Mario's, but stained it appears. I'm going dark stained oak throughout.
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn 01:35 PM 01-05-2014
Hey Jeff,
Never did a build thread, I posted pictures in my profile of the theater before and some of after a face lift. I posted a few photo's here a few pages back to show (hope it didn't piss off Mario ) , Mario how he/ his theater and work inspired me to give my room a different look. In other words I copied many elements there I said it:D Mario is a great host he is very gracious with his time and craftsmanship here on this forum. I'm glad I followed this thread. Thanks Mario!

PeterV
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 07:22 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

What did you go see after 21 years? And was it worth it?

We took our kids to my twin nieces birthday party at the theater to see Frozen. In total I think there were 30 kids under 5.
I did enjoy the movie. I'm not sure it'll be another 21 years before I get back to a commercial theater, but I don't have plans to go back anytime soon. smile.gif
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 07:24 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Would like say thanks for your thorough details of sub build. It was a solid guide getting started. Used many of the items you resourced and made changes for my unique situation. The truck liner suggestion turned out well and like finish on my Diysoundgroup boxes better than my JTR S2!

Haven't been though your thread completely but it's an asset to have in this community!

BTW, congrats on your room' accolades.......well deserved!

Glad the sub build section was helpful. Did you end up going the commercial (LINEX) route on the liner or the aerosol spray liner like I did?
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 07:28 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:

Hi Jeff,
The back wall to the back of the 2nd rows chairs back is 88",the counter measures 103" wide, end to end. It's depth is 31" overall at the ends only, with a usable area of 21"depth by 103" wide and has two cup holders one on each end. It's right behind the back row of seats, the chairs are on a platform that is 12.5 high. The counter is bar height, the stools are adjustable up or down. And I have 60" from the back wall to the bar/counter.

PeterV

Hi Peter,

I like your open air concept back bar. Did you have some more photos?

I revisited my room and it still feels like anything I put behind the back row would be a tight squeeze. One thought I have had, not sure if I mentioned it here, was to possibly build a round sub enclosure that could double as table in the back.
snickers1's Avatar snickers1 09:44 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:

Hi Peter,

I revisited my room and it still feels like anything I put behind the back row would be a tight squeeze. One thought I have had, not sure if I mentioned it here, was to possibly build a round sub enclosure that could double as table in the back.

Mario,

from the pics the room looks complete IMO if you added anything to the back it would like you crow-bared something into it. To me it would be like painting a mustache on the Mono Lisa.... just my 2 cents.
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 09:45 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

Mario,

from the pics the room looks complete IMO if you added anything to the back it would like you crow-bared something into it. To me it would be like painting a mustache on the Mono Lisa.... just my 2 cents.

I agree...definitely not high on my list of to do's anyway. smile.gif
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn 12:27 PM 01-06-2014
Hi Mario,
No I haven't taken more pictures of the bar,should you want i can. Your room really is complete and set the mark for many on the forum!

Hi Snickers,
Your setup/build are fantastic, I also followed your thread with great anticipation for the next photos and write up of the build.
It's nice to see such great home theaters, and the hobby continues to amaze me.

PeterV
cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 12:38 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:

Hi Peter,

Mario - You mean like this biggrin.gif

I had seen someplace, where someone put a larger 15 or 18" driver in a wine barrel - turned out really nice
Also sending you a PM about the REW session...
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn 01:13 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I had seen someplace, where someone put a larger 15 or 18" driver in a wine barrel - turned out really nice

Not a bad idea,I bet it works and sounds good. Thumping bass while drinking a corona lite! biggrin.gif

PeterV
snickers1's Avatar snickers1 02:05 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:

Hi Mario,
No I haven't taken more pictures of the bar,should you want i can. Your room really is complete and set the mark for many on the forum!

Hi Snickers,
Your setup/build are fantastic, I also followed your thread with great anticipation for the next photos and write up of the build.
It's nice to see such great home theaters, and the hobby continues to amaze me.

PeterV

Thank you, i will have some new pics up soon of the new subs and hopefully will get the bar done in the coming months....... Mario and Jeff (bigmouthindc) where huge influences for me as you can see from this thread Mario is always willing to help with explaining why and how he did what he did with his build and Jeff is always around giving helpful advice. Between Jeff's builds and Mario's and so many others this forum inspires people on taking a stab at there own builds.
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn 02:15 PM 01-06-2014
Snickers1, I'll be looking out for the pic's can't wait, assume at your thread.

PeterV
joetheater's Avatar joetheater 05:26 PM 01-12-2014
Incredible theater and such excellent craftsmanship. I'll be using so many of these ideas in my own theater which is just getting underway. Quick question...regarding the acoustic treatments. I've read many times that in a basic design the area from the seat height and below should be a reflective surface and saw the some people put acoustic ceiling tiles or insulshield in this area. However in this theater we see MDF used on the area below ear level. Is this the more preferred method that will produce the best listening results?
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 07:54 AM 01-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

That's it. Very neat indeed. This must have been what you were talking about this weekend.

A special thanks to Cuzed2 (Craig) for making the trip from Illinois to show me and Jailguy (Andy) how REW works. It was a nice learning experience. We made some tweaks to the subs to help improve the room. I'll hopefully be getting my own laptop and mic up and running for measuring soon.
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 08:14 AM 01-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetheater View Post

Incredible theater and such excellent craftsmanship. I'll be using so many of these ideas in my own theater which is just getting underway. Quick question...regarding the acoustic treatments. I've read many times that in a basic design the area from the seat height and below should be a reflective surface and saw the some people put acoustic ceiling tiles or insulshield in this area. However in this theater we see MDF used on the area below ear level. Is this the more preferred method that will produce the best listening results?

Hi Joetheater,

Thanks for the compliments.

I personally put MDF at the lower third of the wall mainly because I have two little ones that love to touch things. Also, it did help with the look I was going for. At one point I contemplated putting some treatment below, but in the end I decided just not to worry about it. From what I've read, it's more important to treat the area above the ears in the room. You might want to consult someone with more acoustical expertise than me though.
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 08:38 AM 01-13-2014
With Andy and Craig (Forum members) stopping over this weekend, I got the itch to enhance the theater a bit. Craig had mentioned that he put his bass shakers on a board, and then zip tied them to the springs underneath his Berkline chairs. This got me to thinking that I would at least test zip tieing them to the springs themselves to see how that felt.

In order to avoid the bass shaker making contact with the center bar that reclines the seat, I had to put the bass shaker on the left and right side of the seat. Otherwise, when you plunk down on the seat, you would hear/feel the bass shaker hit the center bar. I initially tested just one bass shaker, but with it off center, I could tell. So I ended up adding one on each side. It definitely shook things up, but the energy didn't translate to the rest of the frame and back of the chair. I wasn't sure I truly liked the way it felt.

I had one chair that I had put a shaker underneath, mounted to a board that also mounted to the entire frame, before the theater was even finished, but I wasn't sure I was going to do it to other seats. I didn't like if you plunked down hard on the seat, you would bottom out. But given I had forgot that it was there, I felt no one would even no the difference. So I plugged that one in as well and noticed that with that method, the entire frame shook producing a similar effect as when the bass is really rumbling in the room. So I decided to run with that method. I had one spare board that I precut a while back so I thought I'd document it for anyone else interested. I didn't test Craigs method of mounting it to a board and then zip tie it to the springs, but my theory was that unless you physically connect to the frame, you won't transfer any energy to the back of the chair and or arms.

With the D-Box in the front, I was focused primarily on the enhancing the back row with bass shakers.

Here's the board I had made a while back with some angles cut out to help fit better underneath the seat.
Dimensions: 21 3/16" x 7 3/16" with 2 1/4" angles cut out on each corner
IMG_13670.jpg

I used the Kregg Jig and 1 1/4" screws to connect to the frame.

The bass shaker was then mounted to the center of the frame using 1" screws:
IMG_13675.jpg

Here's the board and shaker mounted to the frame:
IMG_13682.jpg

It's mounted just above the brackets and the bass shaker doesn't physically make contact to the chair reclining bar.
IMG_13684.jpg

IMG_13683.jpg

IMG_13688.jpg

Here's how I have the shakers wired although I have more than just two:
aura_pro_bass_shaker_wiring.jpg

As of now, I still have one chair with two bass shakers zip tied to the springs, and two other chairs with the shaker mounted to a board and then onto the frame. This summer, I'll probably complete the back row. However, I may just do two of the four in case someone prefers the less tactile experience.

I plan to add an Insteon ApplicanLinc to the receiver that powers the Bass Shakers so I can have a single button on my touchscreen and remote to toggle them on/off. I'd rather not have them on all the time, especially if no one is even sitting in the back row.
cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 12:26 PM 01-14-2014
I would like to thank Mario for allowing my to continue to practice my REW skills; in what is most likely the nicest Home Theater I will ever experience. The photos truly do not do justice to this amazing space!

I am VERY impressed with the design, implementation, and especially the attention to detail that went into this theater and the adjoining "man-cave" areas. Mario has done a first class job and should be very proud, he has earned it!

I say this without even calling out the many special "bonus features", the "astronomically(sp)-correct" milky way star ceiling, D-box motion seats, and then there is the automation. It is all very well thought out and most impressive.

Also; special thanks to Mario and his family for the hospitality and treats (including that one-of-a-kind "taco-crisp pizza") biggrin.gif. A special thanks to Andy for his sub-woofer insight and expertise. It was great to meet everyone, and made for a very special "hobby day" for me smile.gif

THANK YOU ALL !
Craig
mcascio's Avatar mcascio 02:34 PM 01-15-2014
Thanks Craig.

It was great to get together with like minds who have a passion for home theater.
joetheater's Avatar joetheater 09:47 AM 01-18-2014
Mario - I really like the curve you put on the stage in front of the screen. What type of wood did you use that let you bend it like that?
Tags: Speaker Systems
First ... 95  96  97 98  99  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop