Matt's Basement Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 283 Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Insulation and with vapor barrier is up on the last wall.........

Bring on the drywall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 283 Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

I hope the rain continues for the next couple of days so I can get the drywall guy back to get some more done. He works a couple of other jobs and swings by whenever he can. It's exciting though to see things start to come together.
post #33 of 283 Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Excellent! It is really amazing the transformation drywall makes. As I know your drywall guy, I'll pray for rain for ya. Just not too much rain!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #34 of 283 Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

RT, I know you don't like the water...........
post #35 of 283 Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

RT, I know you don't like the water...........

Amen to that!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #36 of 283 Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Welcome to yet another fellow Hoosier!! We are starting to come together with a vengeance here. I am subscribed and watching your build. Do you think (when done) your drywall guy would make a trip to Elkhart to do some work here?? I hate (and am terrible at)finishing drywall, hanging it isnt bad but finishing is the worst.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #37 of 283 Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Welcome to yet another fellow Hoosier!! We are starting to come together with a vengeance here. I am subscribed and watching your build. Do you think (when done) your drywall guy would make a trip to Elkhart to do some work here?? I hate (and am terrible at)finishing drywall, hanging it isnt bad but finishing is the worst.

Great to see another Hooiser........ He works a full time job and several part time jobs on the side. I am hoping to be done with the drywall by June. Doubt he would make it to Elkhart. I too don't mind doing the work but after watching him and his son hang a few sheets, I will gladly let him do it.

I have enjoyed your thread as well.......
post #38 of 283 Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I got a great deal on 4 boxes of OC 703 that I plan on making some "super chunk" style bass traps with here in the near future. I am also planning getting an extra box to build some 2' by 4' DIY wall treatments as well. However, what do most people put behind their AT screen wall to help with sound reflections? I wasn't sure if I should buy some more 703 or go with duct liner, or even something else.
post #39 of 283 Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

How many sq. ft. is he drywalling for you and was it a reasonable cost? I have never got a quote on drywall hanging/finishing so I have no idea. It just seems SO much easier so maybe as I am designing V2.0 (its underway) I will ponder hiring it out.

post #40 of 283 Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How many sq. ft. is he drywalling for you and was it a reasonable cost? I have never got a quote on drywall hanging/finishing so I have no idea. It just seems SO much easier so maybe as I am designing V2.0 (its underway) I will ponder hiring it out.

My theater is 20X30X9 plus he is drywalling one 20 foot and one 30 footwall on the exterior of the theater. He is charging me $1350.00 to do the whole job. I had about $800 in 5/8" drywall, mud tape and supplies that I purchased before hand. It was the only quote that I got but he is a good guy and the rate seemed reasonable.
post #41 of 283 Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to those who have been following this my build thread....... Progress has been slow but hopefully a fire has been lit under the rear of my drywall guy. He assured me he will have it mudded, taped, and finished by the end of the month. We will hopefully have things completed by early September (I hope).

The drywall is hung both inside and outside of the room......

The speaker boxes have come together. Just a little more corner bead to get hung up.

A shot of the back of the room, where the equipment rack will be placed.

Here is a pic of eight Berkline boxes...... The wife helped me haul them down to the basement. What a trooper.

I ordered a total of eight seats (Berkline 12000) from Roman (two rows of four) a couple of months ago. He did not have them in stock and I had to pay half down as a deposit to hold them. Paid the other half about two months later when they arrived. All I have to say is Roman is the real deal. He answered all of my questions and was very patient and knowledgeable.
I am a very skeptical person so it is kind of crazy when you think about it. I sent two personal checks to man I had never met who cashed the checks before sending me chairs that I had never seen in person let alone sat it. In the end, the whole process was flawless. If you need chairs, don't hesitate to contact Roman.

All of the chairs out of the box before they were covered over........

Hopefully the progress continues. I will post pics as it happens.
post #42 of 283 Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Very nice chairs! But I would get them well covered up before the mudding/taping & sanding part begins or they'll be covered in dust!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #43 of 283 Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Matt,

I'm a little late to this party >> gotta say your space is going to be VERY NICE. I really like how you chose to design your columns. I'm subscribed.

BTW - look out for those characters Hanes & Rose; don't let them slow you down. Especially Hanes > with his "lack of progress" photos

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #44 of 283 Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
good grief that room looks huge...jealous.

With the paper-faced insulation do you still have to do the moisture barrier? I need to do some reading on insulation, I see you have the un-faced and the faced, how did you know when to use each kind?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #45 of 283 Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great progress! I wish I had the room width for those 12000's.
post #46 of 283 Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the positive remarks. It has definitely been a lot of hard work and I am excited about the progress.

hanesian- we covered the chairs up real well after unboxing them and making sure everything was ok. I am not looking forward to cleaning up all the mess.

Thanks for the advice cuzed2, RTROSE has been over to see my basement and has been very helpful. My father built the columns/speaker stands. He has been a big help on this project.

nebrunner- I used a vapor barrier only on the studded wall that was next to my poured basement wall. I used faced insulation on all three walls and the ceiling. It was much easier to install, IMO. I just chose to put the "paper side" on the outside of the room of the other walls. I could see where that would look confusing. I didn't need to use a vapor barrier on the other walls because on the other side of them is the rest of the basement.
post #47 of 283 Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Matt,

I'm a little late to this party >> gotta say your space is going to be VERY NICE. I really like how you chose to design your columns. I'm subscribed.

BTW - look out for those characters Hanes & Rose; don't let them slow you down. Especially Hanes > with his "lack of progress" photos

Hmmmmm.........The pot calling the kettle black I think.

Quote:

Thanks everyone for all the positive remarks. It has definitely been a lot of hard work and I am excited about the progress.

hanesian- we covered the chairs up real well after unboxing them and making sure everything was ok. I am not looking forward to cleaning up all the mess.

Thanks for the advice cuzed2, RTROSE has been over to see my basement and has been very helpful. My father built the columns/speaker stands. He has been a big help on this project.

nebrunner- I used a vapor barrier only on the studded wall that was next to my poured basement wall. I used faced insulation on all three walls and the ceiling. It was much easier to install, IMO. I just chose to put the "paper side" on the outside of the room of the other walls. I could see where that would look confusing. I didn't need to use a vapor barrier on the other walls because on the other side of them is the rest of the basement.

Let me say that I have indeed been over to Matt's space and it is going to be really nice and I too am jealous of all his space, his PJ, speakers/sub, and now his Berks. Sigh...... At least I'm close enough to keep a watchful eye on him and to get a invite when the space is done.

As always Matt if you need anything let me know and I'll come a running. Looking good and glad to see there is progress being made. I think if everything falls in line September is very "doable".

Regards,

RTROSE

post #48 of 283 Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

THE DRYWALL IS FINALLY DONE................

I have been down on my hands and knees scraping up drywall mud for the past few hours. I have about 30 minutes more to do. I will try to get some photos of the room posted here in the next day or so. We hope to the get the room painted here in the next week or so and then get working on the stage, false wall, riser and bar seating area.

Stay tuned....
post #49 of 283 Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent, looking forward to seeing some more progress pics. I've been there scraping drywall mud up, not fun at all, however it is nice to have the drywall done and finally at that stage where you start seeing things come together.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #50 of 283 Old 07-03-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks RT.............. I will try to get down there tomorrow and get some pictures. I have some different paint and carpet samples to post to get some opinions. Had a little accident today as well. I was carrying large mop bucket full of water down the stairs and took a little dive. Thankfully I was only 5 or 6 stairs from the bottom but I when I fell, I landed on the concrete basement floor. I believe a broke my big toe in the ordeal but can't be for certain. Nothing they could do for it anyway but it is bruised all the way up my foot and hurts like hell. Oh well, it could have been worse I guess.
post #51 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Ouch! Sounds painful to say the least. Glad to hear that you were not seriously injured. Could have been much worse. I have fallen down my stairs as well, not something I want to repeat anytime soon. There is nothing like that thought "Uh oh, this is going to be bad". Amazing how it all seems to happen in slow motion when you review it in your mind. Speedy recovery and BE CAREFUL. As always if you need help you can enlist my services (weak mind, strong back) if you feel the need.

Enjoy your fourth.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #52 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well here are some updated photos as promised..........

Here is a shot of the front wall. I will order the ductliner on Tuesday to cover the front wall. I already have some OC 703 that I am going to cut to make the corner bass traps.

Here is a shot of the back of the room.

Here is a sample of the carpet that we picked out.

This is the material we are going to use to cover the AT Screenwall. It is Audiomesh Panel Fabric from Fabricmate. I like the looks of it much better than the GOM FR701. I am most likely going to use the GOM Anchorage for the acoustical panels when we get to that point down the road.

We are still up in the air about what color the walls will be painted. I are leaning toward the dark gray color at the bottom of the color sample. I am still up for suggestions. I think these colors go well together nicely and should keep things nice and dark.

Lastly, here is a shot of the infamous toe after my fall down the stairs. Please forgive the ugly man foot. It has started to bruise all the way down the side and underneath my foot. It is either broken or jammed real bad. Hurts like hell. Oh well, thankfully it is only a toe and it will heal. Not sure if I want to try to put on a hockey skate and try to play hockey on Tuesday night.

I will post some more updates down the road.
post #53 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Things are looking great....well except that toe. I really like those columns. Those are exactly what I was planning on and it really helps to see someone else create them to help me with visuals. What speakers are you putting in there and what are your plans to cover the openings?

post #54 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Things are looking great....well except that toe. I really like those columns. Those are exactly what I was planning on and it really helps to see someone else create them to help me with visuals. What speakers are you putting in there and what are your plans to cover the openings?

I am using the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speakers. (I believe there are some pictures early in the thread with them sitting on the columns before I stored all the equipment for the build.) I plan on using the audiomesh fabric on the columns as well as on the front screen. I plan on stapling the fabric and then covering the top and bottom of the column openings with trim.
post #55 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I somehow missed those. Tell me are they considered bookshelf surrounds? I assume they are not in wall speakers and are probably rear ported? The reason I ask is because I am using Energy c-100's as surrounds and I want to do something very similar. Also I planned on a removable fabric/wood frame cover for the speakers but I like your approach better.

post #56 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude! That toe looks terrible. I'm no doctor (as you well know) but I would at least get a professional opinion to make sure it doesn't go gangrenous. I think that dark gray would go well with the carpet and Fabricmate colors and do well to keep the room dark without the total bat cave feeling. Very nice.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #57 of 283 Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I somehow missed those. Tell me are they considered bookshelf surrounds? I assume they are not in wall speakers and are probably rear ported? The reason I ask is because I am using Energy c-100's as surrounds and I want to do something very similar. Also I planned on a removable fabric/wood frame cover for the speakers but I like your approach better.

Iusteve, I don't think you would consider them to be bookshelves. They are larger than they appear and they are not rear ported. I have been very happy with the way they sound. If you get on the Klipsch website you can get a look at what they look life with the grill covers off.
post #58 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I took a look at their site and could not find an ultra 2 speaker just an ultra 2 system. I cant tell if those are the speakers that you have or not. The list of whats included with the system doesnt list any speakers that are called ultra 2. So since they are not rear ported are they not ported at all? Like I said I am wanting to enclose mine in columns as well but they are bookshelf size speakers and are rear ported though they did come with port plugs.

post #59 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I took a look at their site and could not find an ultra 2 speaker just an ultra 2 system. I cant tell if those are the speakers that you have or not. The list of whats included with the system doesnt list any speakers that are called ultra 2. So since they are not rear ported are they not ported at all? Like I said I am wanting to enclose mine in columns as well but they are bookshelf size speakers and are rear ported though they did come with port plugs.

Those are the same speakers...... The front three speakers are KL-650-THX-LCR. The sides and rears are a different model number but you were on the right track. The ports are on the front of the speakers. We are going to build stands for the fronts when we go to build the false screen wall here in a couple weeks.

I wasn't clear on what type of speakers you are using for surrounds. I checked out your thread and saw you had a new SVS (very nice). Don't know why you couldn't use those as long they aren't bipolar speakers. That was the problems I ran into with my Definitive Technology speakers.
post #60 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are the same speakers...... The front three speakers are KL-650-THX-LCR. The sides and rears are a different model number but you were on the right track. The ports are on the front of the speakers. We are going to build stands for the fronts when we go to build the false screen wall here in a couple weeks.

I wasn't clear on what type of speakers you are using for surrounds. I checked out your thread and saw you had a new SVS (very nice). Don't know why you couldn't use those as long they aren't bipolar speakers. That was the problems I ran into with my Definitive Technology speakers.

The SVS is awesome so far. I am using Energy C-100's as my 4 surrounds (7.1) They are rear ported but have port plugs. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Energy-C-100-B.../dp/B001211HPI I am a little worried about placing them in a column like yours as it may affect their sound but I dont know since they did come with port plugs

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page