Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

The SVS is awesome so far. I am using Energy C-100's as my 4 surrounds (7.1) They are rear ported but have port plugs. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Energy-C-100-B.../dp/B001211HPI I am a little worried about placing them in a column like yours as it may affect their sound but I dont know since they did come with port plugs

After looking at your speakers, I don't think that even if you left the ports open it would hurt anything. They should all be set to "small" and let that new SVS do the work. My columns are 12" deep and 16" wide. Your place is looking great. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

After looking at your speakers, I don't think that even if you left the ports open it would hurt anything. They should all be set to "small" and let that new SVS do the work. My columns are 12" deep and 16" wide. Your place is looking great. Let me know if you have any other questions.

This is my thinking exactly especially since they wont be placed directly against a wall. There will still be airflow behind them. Ok at what height are the bottoms of your speakers/top of the column base??

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #63 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

This is my thinking exactly especially since they wont be placed directly against a wall. There will still be airflow behind them. Ok at what height are the bottoms of your speakers/top of the column base??

The bottom of the opening is 5 ft. tall. The opening itself is 16 inches. My ceiling is 9 ft. tall.
post #64 of 283 Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The bottom of the opening is 5 ft. tall. The opening itself is 16 inches. My ceiling is 9 ft. tall.

Are you planning in anything to support the fabric in the corners?

post #65 of 283 Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't clear on what type of speakers you are using for surrounds. I checked out your thread and saw you had a new SVS (very nice). Don't know why you couldn't use those as long they aren't bipolar speakers. That was the problems I ran into with my Definitive Technology speakers.

SVS is great, not sure if you were considering one for yourself or is you are using the one that comes with the Klipsch system, but if you are thinking about SVS, I recommend it. The guys there are great. I was lucky and had only an hour drive to go listen to them all and then drive it home so it was a great experience to talk to the guys that put them all together and see how it is all done. Plus, with tax in Ohio it was the same as the shipping charge, so I figured the drive was worth it. Definitely worth it if you are looking for a sub.
post #66 of 283 Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Well nothing new to report on the construction side of things but I did put some equipment in the rack. (It will be taken out and stored after the super bowl when we start drywalling.)

I also had a new toy show up today.......... SVS PC12+ and man was it a beast to carry inside the house and down to the basement. I had to have some help and the wife gave me a dirty look after I got it unboxed.
It was a B-Stock and the guys from SVS said they took a bunch of stuff out to CES and most of it was never hooked up. I can't find anything wrong with it. It will be sitting behind a false wall once the room is done anyway.

Here is another shot of it out of the box. I was shocked with how big the sub is. I can't wait to fire it up. I am going to run all my speaker wire this weekend, hopefully it shows up from monoprice tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

SVS is great, not sure if you were considering one for yourself or is you are using the one that comes with the Klipsch system, but if you are thinking about SVS, I recommend it. The guys there are great. I was lucky and had only an hour drive to go listen to them all and then drive it home so it was a great experience to talk to the guys that put them all together and see how it is all done. Plus, with tax in Ohio it was the same as the shipping charge, so I figured the drive was worth it. Definitely worth it if you are looking for a sub.

He is already a SVS family member. Lucky guy!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #67 of 283 Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add a couple of pictures and give a small update.

As you can see the ceiling and columns are now painted. I put four coats of flat black paint on the ceiling and I fairly happy with the result. I am by no means a great painter and probably should have paid someone to do it, but oh well it is done. There are a few roller marks that I wish I could have got rid of. The columns turned out a little better.

I also got the ductliner on the wall behind where the screen wall is going to be built. I could only get 1" ductliner so I added a second layer.

Here is another shot of one of the painted columns. We initially decided on the grey color, however, after much decision, we have decided to go with the red. I wil start priming the walls on monday and will hopefully have it painted by Wednesday. The framing for the riser, stage, false wall and bar should begin next weekend.

stay tuned..............
post #68 of 283 Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey looks really good. Hard to tell from the photos, but if there are roller marks they are very hard to see.

As for the colors, I agree with going red. Will give a nice look to the theater where the gray is very close or too close to the black.

Nice work.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #69 of 283 Old 07-16-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I LOVE the columns they look great. They are (as I have said before) spot on with what I have envisioned. I like the idea of painting the columns black too. I asked before but you may have missed it. You mentioned you were going to put acoustial fabric over the speaker openings but do you plan to make some sort of frame to attach the fabric too or just staple it to the drywall? My concern would be the corner

post #70 of 283 Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Iusteve- Right now I am planning on taking some extra cornerbead and painting it black and then putting it up on the corners. It should support the fabric around the corners well and with it being painted black it should not be seen behind the fabric. If you or anyone else has a better idea please let me know. We still have about a month or so before we get to that part of the build.

Thanks
post #71 of 283 Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The area I was referring too was vertically on the outside two points between the top column and the bottom one. I hope that made sense? I guess I can sit back and watch it unfold as this is a part that I am most interested in lol

post #72 of 283 Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

That was the point I was referring to as well. I guess we will both see how it looks here in a few weeks when we get to that point.
post #73 of 283 Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was the point I was referring to as well. I guess we will both see how it looks here in a few weeks when we get to that point.

Gotcha I wasnt sure if you and I were on the same page. So how are you going to attach the corner bead to the drywall

post #74 of 283 Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

It can be nailed or screwed in...........
post #75 of 283 Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool another Hoosier build! Just found this thread too! Looking great so far! You are using all of my favorite colors so far!

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #76 of 283 Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks........... I can't wait to put the first coat of red on the walls but I have a lot of work to do before I get to that point. I will post some pics once progress begins.
post #77 of 283 Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some more photos. We had a big day of work today.
Here is the start of the riser build.

Here is a little more progress. We are going to make the step a little bigger tomorrow.

Here is a shot of the stage and the start of the screen wall.

It was almost a 12 hour day......... We are planning on putting another long day in tomorrow. Pics will be posted then.
post #78 of 283 Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey man looking good. Isn't it nice to have those long work day be fruitful? When you say you are going to make the step bigger, you mean wider/longer vs. taller correct? From looking at the pics it seems as though it is high enough, but could use some widening in the horizontal area. What are the riser dimensions? I'm assuming you are using either 2 X 8 or 2 X 10 lumber. I know, I know when you assume you make, well you know, yadda, yadda, yadda. Good to see your progressing.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #79 of 283 Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

The riser was built with 2X12's. You are correct, the step is high enough. We just need to make it a little wider so that my size 11's can fit on it comfortably. We will be at it all weekend. Stop by if you are in the area.
post #80 of 283 Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Should have guessed it was 2 X 12's but as big as your room is size is hard to tell. The construction looks solid and sturdy so you must have had some outside help.

Thanks for the invite, the family and I have some running around to do today (and I am actually going to try to pick my paint colors today) so if I can get away I'll stop by and see what is going on.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #81 of 283 Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You're coming right along. Cant wait to see more pics.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #82 of 283 Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Things are moving right along....... The stage and false wall is done. The riser is done. The bar is now framed. The stands for the speakers and subs are being completed at this time. I will try to get some photos up at the end of the day. The room is finally starting to look like a theater.
post #83 of 283 Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the photos as promised.

Here is the completed riser with the eight foot bar framed out.

Here is a shot of the completed screen wall.

Here is a completed speaker stand and subwoofer stand.

More work will continue tomorrow........
post #84 of 283 Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good! There is more room behind the screen than I thought there was. The first photos make it look as though it would be a tighter fit than it actually is. Those speaker stands look like they are build like tanks!

You certainly have space for a bigger bar if you wanted to head that direction. What was your reasoning for going with the eight foot size? Can't remember if you told me or not.

Great work, looking forward to more photos tomorrow.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #85 of 283 Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

There is 24 inches behind the screen. I wish we would have made it 30 inches, it would have given me a lot more room. The square sub is a real tight fit. I only have two inches to spare with it.

I am going down to Madison, IN next weekend to pick out the granite for the bar top. They have left over pieces that run about 50% off. They had eight foot sheets and we figured that we could sit everyone behind a bar at that length. I guess we will see. The bar has not been centered up yet. I got to get the drywall guy to come back and finish it off.
post #86 of 283 Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is 24 inches behind the screen. I wish we would have made it 30 inches, it would have given me a lot more room. The square sub is a real tight fit. I only have two inches to spare with it.

I am going down to Madison, IN next weekend to pick out the granite for the bar top. They have left over pieces that run about 50% off. They had eight foot sheets and we figured that we could sit everyone behind a bar at that length. I guess we will see. The bar has not been centered up yet. I got to get the drywall guy to come back and finish it off.

Gotcha! I'm interested in the granite place in Madison, could be useful for me as well.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #87 of 283 Old 07-25-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish i would have known about that place before i did my counter! I new places like that existed but didnt know where any were. When your rehabing and entire house by yourself, you tend to just want to get things done. I ended up using granite tile to do my countertop, it ended up being a cheaper route than even cheap laminate. I would do it again too, but if i ever do im going to spend WAY more time making sure the subsurface is perfectly level. 18" granite tiles are very unforgiving with 1/16" grout lines.

What color granite are you going for? A galaxy black would look sweet in there! Btw great progress!

Shades of Grey Theater

post #88 of 283 Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Most granite places will sell remnants or left overs at substantial savings. We put granite in all of our bathrooms and our laundry room using remnants and saved quite a bit. We were lucky that they had just finished a big job and had left over what we were needing. For those Indiana folks that are following the thread, the place I am going to is called GranBrazil. Their website is www.granbrazil.com

They had some of the "absolute black" granite that looked cool. Guess we'll see when we see it in person.

All of the speaker stands are now completed and we worked a little on the equipment rack. I will try to get a couple more photos up on the thread later.

There is still a lot of work left to do but my dad and I got a lot done this weekend.
post #89 of 283 Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

With all of that work looks like your owe your dad a steak dinner at least! Good luck next weekend on the granite, I'll check the link you provided, could prove to be pretty handy.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #90 of 283 Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Got a little more work done over the course of the week. The screen wall, speaker stands and subwoofer stands are now painted black.

I got my drywall guy to come back and he almost has the bar finished up. Just one more trip to sand.

I got my granite for the counter top picked out as well. They didn't have exactly what I wanted, they must have sold it during the week, however, they had enough of this type of black granite to finish out my bar. Talked them down to $650.00 with delivery and install included.

It's been a real treat cutting OC703 for bass traps. I have about 30+ feet worth of traps cut. After I get the last of the black paint up, I'll start to stack them in the corners.

I should get the electric guy to swing by this week to finish up his work. I ordered a three zone Grafik Eye that showed up on Saturday. Can't wait to tinker with it.

Well, that's it for now. More pics to come once I get some more done. Thanks for following along.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page