Matt's Basement Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Matt's Basement Theater
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 07:15 PM 08-01-2010
It all looks good. Nice score on the granite. Yup cutting all of that OC703 sure sounds like a lot of fun.

Good to hear you had a productive weekend.

Regards,

RTROSE

Iusteve's Avatar Iusteve 07:17 PM 08-01-2010
All this progress REALLY makes me jealous/envious since I cant even get motivated to get my framing finished. Looking good
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 09:37 PM 08-01-2010
Thanks for the compliments guys......... It has been a lot of long hours but at least things are a little closer. On a not so good note, the carpet I had picked out came in way over budget so I had to choose a different style. It still looks good, just not the one I wanted.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 10:50 AM 08-08-2010
A little more progress to report....... The bar got finished up last week and the granite top will be here on Tuesday. I also got my first coat of red paint on the walls. We are extremely happy with the way it looks. I have to get the bar painted today and throw some more black paint in the back of the room by the equipment rack.

The theater door, trim and other wood should arrive here in a day or so. I also plan on ordering the screen this week as well. Going with a 120" Seymour AV 16:9 screen.

I do have one questions, what do are you guys using to make panels for the false screen walls. I am seeing all types of different things and I am unsure which direction to go. The fabric will be showing up shortly. Thanks for your help and for following my build thread.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 05:16 PM 08-08-2010
Looking good man. Love the classic colors, very sharp. I would love to give you an opinion on the panels, but as I have no clue on anything like that I'll pass on giving any type of advise.

Regards,

RTROSE
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 08:56 AM 08-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Looking good man. Love the classic colors, very sharp. I would love to give you an opinion on the panels, but as I have no clue on anything like that I'll pass on giving any type of advise.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks.......... I have two words for any other amatuer painters out there. SHERMAN WILLIAMS. Their paint has been so easy to work with. I can't paint for crap, but I am very pleased with the way it is progressing. I got the bar painted yesterday and touched up a few places with some black paint. The granite top gets delivered tomorrow. I will try to get some photos up then.
premiertrussman's Avatar premiertrussman 09:15 AM 08-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

Thanks.......... I have two words for any other amatuer painters out there. SHERMAN WILLIAMS. Their paint has been so easy to work with. I can't paint for crap, but I am very pleased with the way it is progressing. I got the bar painted yesterday and touched up a few places with some black paint. The granite top gets delivered tomorrow. I will try to get some photos up then.

+1 I get all my paint there. Except for primer, i tend to use Kilz which is cheaper at the big box stores.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 05:37 PM 08-10-2010
The granite arrived and was installed today.......

Very pleased with the way it turned out. Now I just have to find some bar stools.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 08:17 AM 08-11-2010
That turned out really nice. Great find on the granite. Hard to believe this is called a scrap piece. Looks like it has some silver fakes in it. Very classy.

Regards,

RTROSE
jamis's Avatar jamis 12:14 PM 08-11-2010
Scrap/remnant usually just means that it's left over from another job and there is less than a full slab left. You can get lots of great deals on granite this way.

Looking good!
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 12:48 PM 08-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

That turned out really nice. Great find on the granite. Hard to believe this is called a scrap piece. Looks like it has some silver fakes in it. Very classy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks RT, I will be around, today and tomorrow evening. You are more than welcome to stop by if you feel like getting out.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 12:54 PM 08-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Scrap/remnant usually just means that it's left over from another job and there is less than a full slab left. You can get lots of great deals on granite this way.

Looking good!

Thanks!!!!!!!! Can't wait to get it all done.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 08:46 PM 08-11-2010
Quote:

Thanks RT, I will be around, today and tomorrow evening. You are more than welcome to stop by if you feel like getting out.

Great, thanks. I got out some today and the wife and I have somethings to do tomorrow so if it all works out I'll drop by for an "inspection". I'll give ya a heads up before I just "drop in".

Regards,

RTROSE
premiertrussman's Avatar premiertrussman 07:15 AM 08-12-2010
Matthew,

So what made you go with the epson 8500 over say...the Panny 4ku?
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 09:42 AM 08-12-2010
I went back and forth several times but eventually decided to go with the Epson because it was a little brighter. All the talk about the dust blobs with the Panasonic scared me as well. HOWEVER, like some folks, my first two projectors had the "red wavy lines." I had no problem returning each of them and Epson has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with. My third projector had six hours on it when I boxed it up when we began construction on the room. It appeared to be ok. If I had to it over again, I would purchase the Epson again. It produces a very nice picture for the price. It would have been nice to swtich the screen ratio via the remote (panasonic) but since I will have a 16:9 screen (we watch a lot of sports), the Epson fit my needs a little better.
premiertrussman's Avatar premiertrussman 10:19 AM 08-12-2010
Makes sense. The only thing that scares me about the panasonic is the customer service...it doesnt seem like people have had much luck with it. But im planning a 2.35 screen and the memory function would be nice.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 12:48 PM 08-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Makes sense. The only thing that scares me about the panasonic is the customer service...it doesnt seem like people have had much luck with it. But im planning a 2.35 screen and the memory function would be nice.

With CEDIA just around the corner, it would be interesting to see what they new coming down the pipe. Unless you need to purchase something now.
premiertrussman's Avatar premiertrussman 12:52 PM 08-12-2010
Quote:

With CEDIA just around the corner, it would be interesting to see what they new coming down the pipe. Unless you need to purchase something now.

Nope not yet. Still filling the Ol Projector Piggy Bank....:-) It would be great if they could release a 4000 that was 3d compatible for around the same price!
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 04:27 PM 08-15-2010
Did a little work today and had a big oops that can hopefully be fixed. After getting all of my speakers set up, I went to hook up my first subwoofer. I pushed my sub back on the stand that was built for it and the coax cable broke off when the sub got to close to the back wall. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I could run another cable thru the ceiling. My only hope is to have someone try to put a new pin on to the end of the existing cable. Guess we will see here in a couple of days. If it doesnt work, I am going to have to find a 100 foot cable to run around the exterior of the room until I could get it to the front of the room. Not a good day at all.
J_P_A's Avatar J_P_A 04:56 PM 08-15-2010
Putting a BNC (I'm guessing on the connector) on your coax shouldn't be a problem, as long as you've got a few inches of slack there. Maybe I'm missing something about your problem?

Heck, you could even have a problem with your cable ---"cough, cough, wink wink", and try to talk the tech into putting a new connector on it . You just need the crimper to do it correctly.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 07:37 PM 08-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Putting a BNC (I'm guessing on the connector) on your coax shouldn't be a problem, as long as you've got a few inches of slack there. Maybe I'm missing something about your problem?

Heck, you could even have a problem with your cable ---"cough, cough, wink wink", and try to talk the tech into putting a new connector on it . You just need the crimper to do it correctly.

I am still waiting to hear back about the cable. It was the small gold "male end" that broke off. I am hoping that he has another piece that he can put on and crimp it. There should be enough slack. I guess we will see. I am still telling myself "how stupid can you be."
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 09:26 PM 08-15-2010
Matt,

I have all the stripping, termination tools for coax. If you have some slack to work with we can put another RCA connector on the cable pretty easy I think. I can at least take a look at if for you.

Regards,

RTROSE
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 12:41 PM 08-16-2010
Thanks to RTRose, the subwoofer cable is fixed again. Going to start getting the baseboard and trim painted tonight.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 02:46 PM 08-16-2010
No problem, glad I could help. Your theater is looking really nice. It is coming together very nicely. The granite goes very well with your room, you made a great choice.

Regards,

RTROSE
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 10:54 AM 08-17-2010
I got one coat of paint on the baseboard and trim but the flat black paint just isn't going to cut it. Off to Sherman Williams to get something with a little better finish to it.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 07:41 PM 08-18-2010
More progress was made today. Here are some photos to go along with it.

Electric is done....... Grafik Eye installed. I am waiting to put the cover on after we close up the extra space from the four gang box.

Been working hard painting trim. Had to call in the help to finish it up. My daughter is dying to get the room done also.

Fed Ex brought in a big delivery today. 125" wide 16:9 screen from Seymour AV. Can't wait to get it put up.

The big work starts next weekend........ Going to complete the false wall and get everything else done. Carpet is scheduled to be installed in about 12 days.

Thanks for following along.
cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 07:47 PM 08-18-2010
Matthew,

I've been lurking, but haven't chimed in too much.
However with your latest progress photos; I have to jump in and say >> Great Job - the place is looking VERY nice.

Also; Will be looking for your feedback on the Grafik Eye - keep those photos coming
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 08:33 PM 08-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Matthew,

I've been lurking, but haven't chimed in too much.
However with your latest progress photos; I have to jump in and say >> Great Job - the place is looking VERY nice.

Also; Will be looking for your feedback on the Grafik Eye - keep those photos coming

Thanks....... I will let you know about the Grafik Eye. I should hopefully get the settings figured out here in a couple of days. It is pretty cool so far.
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 08:33 PM 08-28-2010
MORE PROGRESS........

We finished up the trim today and started working on the speaker boxes.

Got the door put in as well.

Got the screen put together and hung up as well. I was very impressed with the quality of the Seymour AV Screen. It was packaged very well and went together easily.

Tomorrow will be another full day of work. I will try to get some more photos up once we are done.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 10:23 PM 08-28-2010
That screen looks sweet. Looking forward to seeing more progress. The wife and I talked about painting today, however we spent the day power washing the deck. Hmmmmm......painting or power washing tough call.

Glad to see your keeping at it.

Regards,

RTROSE
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop