post #361 of 590 Old 12-16-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

Had that happen once on an old car. The starter relay had gone bad...

Yes, I googled around and found out there is a Nissan recall on the relay, called the dealership, was told that relay problem is not the cause because even with the bad relay, the car would still crank so since it is not cranking, it could be something else. I just read that I can swap fog light relay with the starter relay that people tried before to get car started and order the new replacement relay later. So I will give it a try tomorrow when I am off. It has to happen in this such cold day! The truck is 2005 Nissan Titan, only 5 years old and very low mileage since my wife drives it around most of the time for picking up kid, grocery shopping etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 590 Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be the alternator.

post #363 of 590 Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Possibly, but doesn't seem to be the alternator since all lights, radios, dash, power windows and seats are working fine so the battery is charged I think. Definitely going to give the relay swap a try tomorrow. Since the truck is out of mission today, I couldn't make it home on time due to little dusting of snow this afternoon to pick up kid, wife has to ask someone else to give my son a ride home, so I need to get this thing fire up soon, still googling for all kind of theory, just hope it won't end up something big like a bad starter.
post #364 of 590 Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today is a total waste, I swapped fog light relay with ECM relay and didn't do anything good, the truck still won't turn over. Calling towing truck to get it towed to the dealership. Just hope it is not something big like bad starter, maybe some sensor went bad. The truck is out of warranty so the money saved by doing basement and HT myself will go the dealership I guess, no gain
post #365 of 590 Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just caught up, and saw the nice note written in glue. What's Gree Glue btw?
post #366 of 590 Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I intentionally left the "n" out because n=nasty and you know that stuff is nasty. LOL. Seriously, while I was writing on to the sheet, my son was bugging me around so I guess just I lost my focus, until you catch it, I didn't even know that I got the spelling wrong, ooopps. Good catch.
post #367 of 590 Old 12-17-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post
Today is a total waste, I swapped fog light relay with ECM relay and didn't do anything good, the truck still won't turn over. Calling towing truck to get it towed to the dealership. Just hope it is not something big like bad starter, maybe some sensor went bad. The truck is out of warranty so the money saved by doing basement and HT myself will go the dealership I guess, no gain
Hope it's something simple (meaning low cost, if there is such a thing at the dealer).

Don't fret...look at it this way, the truck was going to break down whether you built the theater or had someone else do it. You're much further ahead now than if you paid someone to do your basement work AND had to pay to get the truck fixed right?

Sometimes I feel it's just the normal Karma of life keeping us in check....just when you think you're ahead in the game, you get pulled back a step or two.
post #368 of 590 Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Hope it's something simple (meaning low cost, if there is such a thing at the dealer).

Don't fret...look at it this way, the truck was going to break down whether you built the theater or had someone else do it. You're much further ahead now than if you paid someone to do your basement work AND had to pay to get the truck fixed right?

Sometimes I feel it's just the normal Karma of life keeping us in check....just when you think you're ahead in the game, you get pulled back a step or two.

Thanks fotto.

Whew, what a relief, it is the damn battery. Long story short, since I can't jump up the truck and the Walmart battery has reversed polar, so I can't use it, but I did try to connect the Walmart battery with jump cable and the truck still won't start, swapped relay did nothing, so I figured it was something big and called tow truck to get this thing out to the dealership, yesterday afternoon, the tow truck came and the guy took a look and said it was definitely the bad battery, so he tried to fire up the car with his battery charger and it still didn't start the car, he though that his charger sent the electric to the bad battery more so the starter still won't get enough juice to start, we took the old battery out, no luck, he determined that his charger was low and my jump cable was not thick enough, but he didn't tow my truck and told me to get another battery and I paid him 50 bucks and this morning, I went to dealership to get a new battery, $115 + tax, came back, put the new battery in, turn the key, it fired right up! Happy happy. I still need to go the dealership to get the recall done on IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module), a lot people reported that the relays for ECM went bad and the car's engine just shut off while driving. Don't want that to happen especially wife is the primary driver on this truck.

Now I can go back working in the basement. Thanks guys.
post #369 of 590 Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am done with the second coat and I took sponge sanding block and cleaned up and sanded down a little bit in theater room, I feathered joints with sand block and just by visual inspection it looks pretty even and smooth already, so my question is, do third coat, aka, finish coat is really needed?
post #370 of 590 Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I am done with the second coat and I took sponge sanding block and cleaned up and sanded down a little bit in theater room, I feathered joints with sand block and just by visual inspection it looks pretty even and smooth already, so my question is, do third coat, aka, finish coat is really needed?
theW, glad to hear you're moving on the mudding so quickly. I'm bogged on that part...

Two coats may be fine if they were thick enough, feathered well and if everything is very smooth. If you're going with a smooth wall finish, every little ripple will stick out when you prime and paint. You could just prime sections of your walls to see how you like it. If you're using some texturing technique, it'll hide those blemishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #371 of 590 Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Bill, I am moving along with the finish coat now and feathering little bit wider on the joints, hopefully I would be able to finish mudding and sanding by Xmas day! I keep under estimating amount of mud I need and have to run to HD to buy mud, so far I bought 4 additional pails and only half pail left and I think I still need one more pail to finish it off. I ditched mud pan and taping knives, now I am using trowel and hawk except the 4" knife for inside corners. trowel and hawk are much easier to control and do a better job. Laurier Desormeaux's youtube vids really help a lot, anyone wants to tackle taping and mudding yourself should watch those vids, multiple times.

Another question, if you plan to cover the theater wall with fabric, do you still prime the wall? If you do, do you go darker primer or just white primer?
post #372 of 590 Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dose anyone know if a gravity feed air paint spray gun can be used to spray primer? If can, do you need to dilute the primer?
post #373 of 590 Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bill, I am moving along with the finish coat now and feathering little bit wider on the joints, hopefully I would be able to finish mudding and sanding by Xmas day! I keep under estimating amount of mud I need and have to run to HD to buy mud, so far I bought 4 additional pails and only half pail left and I think I still need one more pail to finish it off. I ditched mud pan and taping knives, now I am using trowel and hawk except the 4" knife for inside corners. trowel and hawk are much easier to control and do a better job. Laurier Desormeaux's youtube vids really help a lot, anyone wants to tackle taping and mudding yourself should watch those vids, multiple times.

Another question, if you plan to cover the theater wall with fabric, do you still prime the wall? If you do, do you go darker primer or just white primer?

You should prime the wall, color does not matter as you will be covering it with OC 703 in your case and the batting so you will never see the drywall thru the fabric.
post #374 of 590 Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1024 View Post

You should prime the wall, color does not matter as you will be covering it with OC 703 in your case and the batting so you will never see the drywall thru the fabric.

Thanks Anthony. I got a pail of 5gal white primer from HD and an air paint spray gun read, if the spray gun doesn't work, I also got a paint pan, rollers and brushes ready.

I officially hate mudding and sanding. White stuff flying everywhere today. Outside is snowing powderish stuff and inside the white particales are floating everywhere. I swept once after sanding today but after dust settle down, another layer of white dust cover floor again. This is by far the dirtiest job and you never seem to be able get rid of the dust, even I used dust control kind of mud, still dusty like hell. Oh well, I am not making wife and kid happy since I have to turn off the heat and it is cold, i mean very cold.

Gonna give ShopVac a try later, but I am happy this phase is almost over. I will upload some pictures later.
post #375 of 590 Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It sounds like no fun, but at least you are almost done with it. Looking forward to the pictures.
post #376 of 590 Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

It sounds like no fun, but at least you are almost done with it. Looking forward to the pictures.

No, it is no fun at all, but nonetheless, it is part of DIY process or rather, the pain anyway. Here are some pictures of the final product, finish coat and sanded, clean the floor by sweeping first and shopvac-ed, much cleaner, still some dust by it is more bearable now:

Theater front wall:

Theater entrance and understair cave:

Theater back wall

Theater entrance outside header:

Stair sloped ceiling:

Dirty floor, this is after swept and shopvac-ed, I guess as first timer without any prior experiences doing taping and mudding, I had a lot of mud drops on the floor, like bird's poop, really messy. I have to scrapped with the taping knife but to completely remove them, you need to wash the floor:

Bar area:

Soffit in bar area:

TV from looking from bar area:

Ceiling, one of the difficult area to deal with, many edges and inside corners:

Bathroom:

Again, bar top soffit and mid-soffit (main drain boxed in):

Ceiling:

And finally, this is the ceiling in theater room:

I am ready for prime tomorrow, I will give the spray gun a try first, had never done it before so I don't know how it would go, the backup plan is rollers and brushes.
post #377 of 590 Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Nice job! Glad to see the car turned out ok.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #378 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looking good. That ceiling did look like it would have been tough to do.
post #379 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
drywalling/taping/sanding looks great! You are giving me confidence that it can be done without prior experience. I am sure after I "do my time" I will hate it also but it's a means to an end!
post #380 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Looking really good my friend, so good I would like to take this time to offer to you to do my taping/mudding/sanding.......now think about it before you rush to say no.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #381 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Looking good. That ceiling did look like it would have been tough to do.

Yes, mainly because the action and way of applying force on ceiling and on wall are little awkward, on ceiling you have to push up and slide out, I don't have a pair of stilts so I can't walk while doing it, I can only do a small section once a time standing on a stool, so it just takes a little bit more patience to do the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Looking really good my friend, so good I would like to take this time to offer to you to do my taping/mudding/sanding.......now think about it before you rush to say no.

LOL, well, I would do a trade with you if you were to do my bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post

drywalling/taping/sanding looks great! You are giving me confidence that it can be done without prior experience. I am sure after I "do my time" I will hate it also but it's a means to an end!

Thanks barlay, I watched youtube videos several times before I started doing it, especially Mr. Laurier Desormeaux's series, really helpful. I would suggest using trowel and hawk for the most of the part, 3" and 5" taping knives for inside corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Nice job! Glad to see the car turned out ok.

Thanks. It was the battery, after I replaced battery, it fires up no problem but I still need to do the recall to replace ECM relay, the dealership won't just give me the part and let me do it myself for such a small job (like 5 minutes) and I have to bring the truck over to have them do it, waste of everyone's time.
post #382 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

LOL, well, I would do a trade with you if you were to do my bar.

This sounds like a great deal to me. When should we start?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #383 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today is the one year anniversary of my build! Wow, time flys, last year this time, it was a blank space, looking back, I have overcome a lot of obstacles and difficulties. Relocating HAVC duct work would be one, but the most frustrating one was the plumbing, but in the end, it was all worthy and very rewarding when you and family see things start taking shape gradually and coming along together. The build is probably only at half way at this point so a lot of to do ahead and I just hope by the second anniversary, it would be done or at least, theater will be "serviceable".

Thanks for all your help and this forum is such a wonderful community for inspiration, information, advices and sharing of experiences, keep up good work everyone!

Happy holidays!
post #384 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Looking good, now the rooms are really coming together...

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist

My Windows Media Center Blog...
http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
post #385 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You did a great job for your first time mudding! And I wouldn't worry too much about the mess on the floor - ever been to a new house where professionals mudded? Everyone makes a mess, just need to scrape up all the mud bird poops before you put your flooring down. In my case some are as big as cow pies.

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary. Next year at this time you'll be enjoying your finished basement, and relaxing & watching movies in you're completed HT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #386 of 590 Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Bill, I scrapped bird poops but still leave the white spots on the floor but I am not worried about them now.

I guess I just got a "Oops" moment as I was watching couple of shower pan liner installation videos. The liner or membrane need to be stapled on the studs before installing the backer board so the liner is tucked behind the backer board to get water tight but I already installed the cement backer board. Oh well, no biggie, I just need to take the backer board offs (only bottom row though). LOL, lesson learned, always do some researches first!
post #387 of 590 Old 12-29-2010, 02:48 PM

just sayin wuts up to the posters here. im starting on my HT and im going thru the thread looking for ips and tricks. Ill probably start my own thread as well posting pics along the way. My challenge is the room is already finished and wired but the builders placements arent gonna work with what im doing. I envy you building from scratch lol.
post #388 of 590 Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

just sayin wuts up to the posters here. im starting on my HT and im going thru the thread looking for ips and tricks. Ill probably start my own thread as well posting pics along the way. My challenge is the room is already finished and wired but the builders placements arent gonna work with what im doing. I envy you building from scratch lol.

Thanks. I envy you can get a pack of Marlboro for $3.99, LOL. Anyway, there is an option that you can always tear down couple of walls and re-build the way works for you. Post some pictures and you will get tons of ideas here.
post #389 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright, the priming is done, now it looks much better. I was going to take some pictures but wife took out my memory card and I couldn't find it, so that will be later.

Okay, now what is the next? Painting or electrical? Installing doors maybe? After that, bathroom and bar, I need to do install bar cabinets before tiling right?

To do list (not in particular order):
. Bathroom shower pan, mud bed prep and liner
. Bar cabinets
. Tiling (bathroom and bar area)
. Painting the walls and ceilings (except theater room)
. Electrical, install receptacles and panel breakers
. Installing doors

This is only the list of jobs for this phase of the build, short but each is not small job.
post #390 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Walkininator...lots of respect here with your effort on the drywall. You're a better man than me.

My only suggestion on what's next is to pick what you feel is the worst/most labor intensive, just to get it out of the way. I hate saving the worst for last.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page