Insulation in Basement Ceiling. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was wondering what insulation people used for their basement ceiling between the floor joists. I want something that will give me the best sound dampening possible. I was looking at R-30 unfaced, thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 View Post

Was wondering what insulation people used for their basement ceiling between the floor joists. I want something that will give me the best sound dampening possible. I was looking at R-30 unfaced, thoughts?

Thanks.

There are different opinions on it, from what I have read.

For the type of insulation: some feel the Roxul type is better, some say the pink stuff is just as good. The pink stuff is quite a bit cheaper and from what I have seen/read, the differences dont justify the extra cost. However, the Roxul is SOOO much better to work with. So, it comes down to cost and convenience for me.

Actual difference in deadening is about the same.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
To add, you won't need more than R19.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #4 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For sound containment purposes and general insulation uses, regular fiberglass is fine and is the cheapest.

As Master Ted (above) says, "R19 in the joists, R13 in the walls." I think he's also credited with other quotes such as:

"When you see a fork in the road, take it"
"Help Prevent Forest Fires"
"Can't We all just get along"
"Eat My Shorts"
"I didn't have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"

I'm sure there are a few more I am missing.

John
post #5 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Those are all my quotes, yes.

Ted

post #6 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

How about walls. I was going to do R-13. I was talking to a rep at HD and he said that he wouldn't do insulation on the walls since all walls are underground and insulation wouldn't really provide anything additional to warrant the cost. Thoughts?
post #7 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

R13 is the most you'd want. We're not doing it for thermal purposes. The insulation is to reduce wall (or ceiling) cavity resonance. Improves soundproofing.

Ted

post #8 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Whether insulating for heat OR sound, trying to stuff more insulation in a cavity than it was meant for will only serve to compress the fiberglass, reducing its rating. Measure the cavity's depth, and get the appropriate insulation for that depth. Don't try to stuff R-30 in a 6" cavity, as you will see no benefit over R-19.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifers_ghost View Post

However, the Roxul is SOOO much better to work with.

What? That stuff will kill you. Don't get me wrong, i used it to dampen between the boiler room and the rest of my house.

However, it's horrible to work with, imho. Definitely wear a mask and gloves.

Union guys call it 'brown death'.

Tim
post #10 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

We're not doing it for thermal purposes.

Shouldn't that be a factor though, if the room has or is next to exterior walls, especially in a basement? If you heat the room for the winter, you'd want it to be as efficient as any other room of the house. How much depends on the location, but any basement is going to be cooler than the rest of the house. I've seen sites recommending R19 to R30 in the basement ceiling, and R13 to R19 in basement walls depending on your location.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

What? That stuff will kill you. Don't get me wrong, i used it to dampen between the boiler room and the rest of my house.

However, it's horrible to work with, imho. Definitely wear a mask and gloves.

Union guys call it 'brown death'.

Tim

I disagree entirely. I thought it was ever so pleasant to work with. Use a serrated bread knife and blamo, easy peasy nice and easy. No itching or scratching either, like the pink stuff (that will most certainly not kill you cause its made from rose petals?).

Of course you gotta wear gloves and a mask. You should also wear safety glasses and steel toe boots.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I made no reference to fiberglass insulation. My comment was regarding mineral wool. Certainly everybody has different tolerances to different irritants. Have yet to hear the term 'pink death' coined.

...getting back on topic, the foundation is a "mass wall" and the earth behind it offers an insulating value that isn't present in the rest of your home.

Most codes only require you to insulate a certain distance below grade. In my area it's 24". I see that Florence KY has 6,039 heating degree days. IRC says you have to insulate with R10 (rigid/continuous) or R13 (cavity) to a depth of 48".

The insulation values are less than above-grade walls (half, if you put the [rigid] insulation on the outside of the wall).

Ceiling insulation isn't required for it's thermal properties because the space above is conditioned (just like you don't need insulation between 1st and 2nd floor).

Not to say these aren't good things to do, but weight the cost vs improving insulation in other parts of the home.

HTH,
Tim
post #13 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mr. Tim.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Question, my basement is 3/4th finished and can be damn cold if there is only one body in there. I would guesstimate it's in the mid to upper 50s in temperature, even when the house is 72.

There doesn't seem to be much insulation if at all in the ceiling of the basement. Should there be, and should I blow some in then? My buddy and I used that area to wire some cables from the first floor and that's who I really checked out the lack of insulation...

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #15 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Question, my basement is 3/4th finished and can be damn cold if there is only one body in there. I would guesstimate it's in the mid to upper 50s in temperature, even when the house is 72.

There doesn't seem to be much insulation if at all in the ceiling of the basement. Should there be, and should I blow some in then? My buddy and I used that area to wire some cables from the first floor and that's who I really checked out the lack of insulation...

Insulating the ceiling won't help, but insulating the walls will.... Most important..make sure that you put in proper supply lines and returns for the rooms. I had an HVAC guy put in 2 supplies and 1 return JUST for the theater. The other rooms, will also have supplie lines.

You need to climatize the basement not just put up walls. :-)

Mark
post #16 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The builder did it, I didn't build the basement. Not that easy to figure out if something is wrong now. He did "forget" to cut out a return in the unfinished section of the basement though...

I think the unfinished sections oif the basement that are not insulated (is that the foundation concrete wall just sitting there?) contribute to the colder than average basement.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #17 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I can't stress how important it is to insulate for thermal and sound, but also as has been stated proper HVAC. This was one area in my build where I wanted to "do it right". It is extra time/money but if you have not given extra consideration to your HVAC needs for your room/basement please do so for your sake. A well finished nice looking theater is a non starter if it is too cold/hot to be enjoyable.

I had several estimates for my HVAC and ended up with four supplies and two returns for my basement and decided to go with spray foam for mostly thermal considerations. My basement is now the most comfortable space in the house.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM

I am planning to use spray foam as well - even in the ceiling (the HT is below the master bedroom). RTRose - did you sprayfoam the ceiling? If so how good of a job does it do on sound dampening.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonator View Post

I am planning to use spray foam as well - even in the ceiling (the HT is below the master bedroom). RTRose - did you sprayfoam the ceiling? If so how good of a job does it do on sound dampening.

I did use spray foam on the ceiling and the walls. As for how good a job it does on sound dampening I can only tell you that I feel it does a pretty good job. I do not have any thing to compare it to though. My basement was completely unfinished so sound transmission from the basement to the rest of the house was pretty easy. I picked the foam mostly for thermal considerations, but I think it does pretty good for sound as well. I do not have an apples to apples comparison for you. I do know that the foam is about three times as expensive as the "pink stuff" and since I did not take many other steps for sound isolation and deadening there is still sound that comes from the unfinished space and the stairway.

If you visit my build thread page 9 is where I detail the foam installation. I am pleased with the result of the foam, my basement is the most comfortable space in the house now. I hope this somewhat answers your question.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction