Jikkjack's DIY Horizontal Masking Documentation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

As promised - here is the documentation for my DIY IR Controlled Masking System. I am happy to answer any questions and make updates to the documentation on request. I will update the version number as updates to the documentation are made.

DIYMaskingSystem.pdf 452k .pdf file

Open:

Closed:

And Video...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Putting that instruction PDF together for others is admirable. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #3 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AWESOME!!!!!!! Will this transfer to a CIH version? I really would like some info on how you did this and am very impressed.

Adam

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Jason - bookmarked for HT MKII (when ever that is).

Be good to add links to where you got the parts.

What was the final cost?

Great Job,
Mark

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

post #5 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mark. Final cost was about 300 dollars and most of the parts came from av-outlet.com.

Thanks adammb. I don't see why not. Check out this thread from another forum member ScottJ007. He has a solution for 4 way masking that is very nice. He used a different motor configuration but other than that - some of the design elements are similar.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=941076

post #6 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM

That is Phenomenal! Good job, I was always wanting to do a masking system but wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

cheers,
JJ

Number of trips to the Hardware Store: Can't count that high!

post #7 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
That is really nice. I am checking out your PDF now. Thanks for all the info

craigr

Precision Video Calibration
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Quantum Data QD780 Multimedia Generator
ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software

-

Craig Rounds

post #8 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
May I suggest that you also post this in the DIY subsection of the Screens forum? A lot of folks do searches for masking there.

Nice job.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #9 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 AM

That is awesome!
post #10 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

That is simply genius. My new HT build thread is focusing on (among other things) building a screen with motorized remote controlled integrated masking. A recent post in my thread linked me to your PDF instructions and I was blown away. I do not plan on building a false wall, do you think I could still incorporate your system into a DIY screen only? I realize the frame for the screen will be bulkier than a simple screen only frame, but that's more than acceptable.

One question about the remote controlling of it, from what I gathered the motor allows you to set 3 pre-determined stop points; top, bottom, and a custom one. Does it also allow you to move the masks to any position you desire up or down without programmed stops. What I mean is does it allow control of the motor up and down when a button is held until it's at the right position?

Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work and experimentation, it is a huge help to those of us that would like to follow in your footsteps!

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!

post #11 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

That is simply genius. My new HT build thread is focusing on (among other things) building a screen with motorized remote controlled integrated masking. A recent post in my thread linked me to your PDF instructions and I was blown away. I do not plan on building a false wall, do you think I could still incorporate your system into a DIY screen only? I realize the frame for the screen will be bulkier than a simple screen only frame, but that's more than acceptable.

One question about the remote controlling of it, from what I gathered the motor allows you to set 3 pre-determined stop points; top, bottom, and a custom one. Does it also allow you to move the masks to any position you desire up or down without programmed stops. What I mean is does it allow control of the motor up and down when a button is held until it's at the right position?

Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work and experimentation, it is a huge help to those of us that would like to follow in your footsteps!

Thanks guys...sorry for the delay in responding.

The feature you are describing is absolutely possible. It is a jog feature. You can jog the masks up and down in small increments.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm not sure i know my way aroun here yet - I know this an old posting, but that PDF that is mentioned in this post, where do I find that ?

Awesome job, I've been looking for someting like this, that is affordable and build-able.smile.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM

I apologize, but I don't see the pdf?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page