Great Dane Cinema aka Brent's Budget Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 224 Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
That's some nice looking carpet. Looks very plush and soft. Have you done this before? If not, you did a very good job for your first effort. Keep up the good work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 224 Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Having the carpet in really makes the room feel a lot more complete. It feels really nice to walk on. I have put in foam backed carpet before, the kind you just glue or tape down, but this is my first time doing a proper stretch in carpet installation. There are a couple places where I didn't trim it quite right along the curves, but that will get covered up by the trim anyway. I got the carpet and pad on sale and after all expenses worked out to about $2.20 sq ft installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 224 Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

That is a very good price. Do you mind me asking where you got it?

post #94 of 224 Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got it on a special offer sale at a local Menards.

post #95 of 224 Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. I need to start checking out the home improvement stores for carpet when I am there on my supply runs. I'm there 3 or 4 times a week it seems. rolleyes.gif

post #96 of 224 Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Minor progress tonight. I made some fabric covered panels to cover my corner bass traps from some scrap 1x2s i had laying around. They are covered with some material i got at Joanns a couple years ago and just friction fit in place. I also covered my subwoofer with the same fabric. I could have painted it, or something, but the fabric was quick and easy. I got the speakers hooked back up and listened to some music in the room for a while. The carpet really improves the sound in the room. I cant wait to get my screen back up and watch a movie in there now. Here is how the room sits now. Its unbelievable how much better it looks than just a few days ago.

IMG_7494Large_zpsffa76299.jpg

post #97 of 224 Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is one huge Sub!!

post #98 of 224 Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The sub is DIY, based on this design:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1329971/lilmikes-cinema-f-20
I drive it with a 240 watt plate amp mounted in my equipment rack. It could use some EQ though. Eventually I plan on getting a Behringer iNuke amp with the built in DSP. As it is now it is a bit overpowering at some frequencies.

post #99 of 224 Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have started another theater side project. I decided that I want to make myself a digital poster display board. I'll be using some sort of LCD tv mounted vertically on the wall. I actually have a 32" with a faulty power supply that I might repair for this purpose. I saw Mario's virtual poster display in his build thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1208912/the-cinemar-home-theater-construction-thread/2430#post_22464672 I use XBMC as my media playback software so i decided to code my own poster display software to interface with it.
Here is a video of my prototype:
th_DSCN1339.jpg

It connects to xbmc via a specified ip address and displays information about the currently playing media, including the MPAA rating, runtime, audio and video codecs, and resolution. It can either show the thumbnail stored in xbmc or download a high resolution poster from TMDB.com. When a movie is not playing it downloads and displays posters for upcoming movies from TMDB.com as well. Its still a work in progress and i have a few more features i want to add, but so far its working well.

post #100 of 224 Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 AM

Hi, display board looks fantastic and really keen to try this myself? did you need to use any xbmc plugins? As i'm already using xbmc i did a search on xbmc forums but couldn't find anything so step by step instructions would be great if you don't mind sharing? Thx Brad
post #101 of 224 Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nope, no xbmc plugins are necessary. My solution is a completely independent application. It only requires windows and the .Net framework 4.5. It can run on the same pc as xbmc or a separate one on the same network. It uses the JSONRPC interface to communicate with xbmc just like the iOS and android remotes do. I've tested it with the xbmc 11.0 stable release. If it cant connect to xbmc it just shows upcoming movie posters downloaded from tmdb.com too. I still have a few things left to finish up and a couple bugs to fix. But I can send you a copy to play with if you want.

post #102 of 224 Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Any chance I can get a copy of your application too? I loved Mario's virtual poster and was hoping something would be available for xbmc. Thanks!

post #103 of 224 Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Nope, no xbmc plugins are necessary. My solution is a completely independent application. It only requires windows and the .Net framework 4.5. It can run on the same pc as xbmc or a separate one on the same network. It uses the JSONRPC interface to communicate with xbmc just like the iOS and android remotes do. I've tested it with the xbmc 11.0 stable release. If it cant connect to xbmc it just shows upcoming movie posters downloaded from tmdb.com too. I still have a few things left to finish up and a couple bugs to fix. But I can send you a copy to play with if you want.

Absolutely overjoyed if you would do that. do you need me to pm you my details? Thanks again. P.S Actually if you are interested i think you'd receive hero status if you also posted this on XBMC forums smile.gif
post #104 of 224 Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Brad and Chimera, you both should have a PM with info on my app. any feedback you can provide is welcome.

post #105 of 224 Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I haven't done a whole lot of construction lately. I have gotten sidetracked with my virtual movie poster project. I've found and fixed several bugs and also added some features that I think will be very useful. The now playing screen shows the player progress and end time. I've added the ability to stream the YouTube trailers indexed on themoviedb.org. I've also implemented a basic webserver for control from any web browser. using the webserver i can change the poster manually or pause on the current poster (normally, they change on their own after a set amount of time. ) I can also select which poster id like displayed from a list of cached posters. Oh, and i tore apart an old 32" lcd that i repaired the power board in. Its running off an old laptop motherboard attached the the back of the panel. Unfortunately the laptop is a bit finicky and shuts off at random times, so i'll need to replace it at some point. I'll be building a custom frame for it soon too.
video of operation is here:
th_VID_20121104_144958_087.jpg

post #106 of 224 Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i put together an oak frame for my poster display tonight. Its not quite done, but you get the idea.
IMG_20121105_220934_238.jpg
IMG_20121105_224036_978.jpg

post #107 of 224 Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I want one......rolleyes.gif

post #108 of 224 Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So far I have about $100 into it plus my time. I got the screen off craigslist and after repairs cost me about $65. Its only 1366x768 resolution, but it looks fine from a couple feet away. Software is completely homegrown and still has a few bugs and features i want to add, but it works pretty well so far.

post #109 of 224 Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM

That's looking great! I wish I had somewhere outside my theater big enough for a virtual poster that big.

post #110 of 224 Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far I have about $100 into it plus my time. I got the screen off craigslist and after repairs cost me about $65. Its only 1366x768 resolution, but it looks fine from a couple feet away. Software is completely homegrown and still has a few bugs and features i want to add, but it works pretty well so far.

I'll send ya $150 and you can make me one wink.gif

post #111 of 224 Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Liked: 21
That's a great idea. I use XBMC all over the house and would love to get a copy of that software to try this out in my upcoming theater build. If you don't mind please PM me the info.

Great work - theater is looking really good!

JJ
post #112 of 224 Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've uploaded a build of my poster display software to sourceforge for anyone who wants to use it in their own personal theater. If anyone wants to use it in a public setting, I ask that you contact me first. Please take a look at the readMe file for set up and usage instructions. I typed it up pretty quick, so I'm sure I missed something. Feel free to PM me any questions, comments, or bugs. If there is enough interest, I'll start a new thread for the software.
Download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcposterdisp/

post #113 of 224 Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For those interested, I made a new thread for my movie poster software over in the Theater room items and accessories section. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439406/movieposter-virtual-movie-poster-display-software#post_22592320

post #114 of 224 Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great job on the movie displays.

- Dave

post #115 of 224 Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I was playing around in Paint.NET today and made myself a nifty backdrop /intro image.

[URL=http:]
[/URL]

Where did you find your logos?
post #116 of 224 Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

here: http://www.tinstudio.com/gallery/index.php/

There is a thread about them around the forum somewhere. They are intended as printable signs.

post #117 of 224 Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I havent posted any progress for a while, so here's a minor update. I bought some new tools including a new miter saw, air compressor and brad nailer for the trim work I'll have to do. I started work on the oak trim for the soffit. I wanted the front piece to have a curve, so after framing the face of the soffit i used a straight trim bit on my router to exactly copy the curve to a piece of mdf. I used the mdf for test fitting purposes and then transferred the curve to a piece of 3/4 inch oak. I first rough cut the curve with my jig saw and then finished it off with the straight trim bit, using the mdf template I made earlier. I used my nifty new brad nailer to attach some baseboard trim, flipped upside down, to the face of the curved piece to form my light tray. So far I think its looking pretty good.

post #118 of 224 Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been thinking more about my column design too. I was concerned that the rectangular columns would be too overpowering in my smallish room. So, I'm leaning towards a half-octagon type design that will still have enough internal space for my speakers, but take up much less volume. I'm thinking of making an inner structure out of mdf and then using 1/2 in oak for the face boards. The speaker grill will be removable and also made with 1/2 in wood so that it sits flush when put in place. the pics below should give you the general idea.

post #119 of 224 Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you thought about recessing the speakers into the wall as much as possible so you could make the columns shallower? Asuming you have a 2x4 wall you should beable to set the back 4" into the wall.

post #120 of 224 Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I've thought about it. My surround speakers are actually rear ported and sit a half inch or so off the wall when mounted. I'm not sure what mounting them in a recess would do to the acoustics. While I haven't done a lot along the lines of soundproofing, I have a feeling that cutting into the drywall wouldn't do much to help the situation either. I made some 9"x16" rectangular mockup columns out of cardboard to get an idea of how they would fit in the room, and they didnt really impose on walking space all that much. While i like the look of a substantial column, they just looked kind of big and boxy to me. I stumbled across the half-octagon design in this thread and really liked the concept. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1043952/ella-s-ht-2-0-build/60
They'll still have enough inside space to hide my speakers, but it will be a tight fit. I picked up some more supplies last night so i can put together a more formal mockup. If it turns out to be a tight squeeze I might have to recess the speakers into the wall an inch or two, but i'd rather not.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page