Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 227 Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Minor Progress update: I got my masking panels reworked and put in. (Sorry no pictures yet)
And I ordered some Aura Pro Bass Shakers to play with over the long weekend. I ordered 2 shakers and installed them in the front seats as a test. I wasn't sure how much of an effect they would have, if i would even like it, or if its worth the cost. I connected the in series to my Dayton 240 watt plate amp that just been collecting dust since I got my Behringer iNuke. It took a LOT of trial an error to find the best way to get them mounted to my seats in a way that they don't interfere with any of the moving parts under the chair. I ended up making a mounting 'shelf' that's screwed directly to the wooden part of the seat frame. I did experiment with attaching them to the metal base of the chair, but the effect wasn't as dramatic that way. Here is what I came up with:

So far I'm really liking the effect they provide. They really compliment the sound and make the experience much more immersive, especially in action scenes. I played a bunch of DTS and Dolby demo videos and couldn't help but smile. I'm still undecided if I will purchase more for the four rear seats or not, simply due to cost, but i do consider this a successful experiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 227 Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Where did you get your shakers ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #183 of 227 Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Where did you get your shakers ?
I ordered them from Parts Express. I looked around on eBay for a few weeks, but most of them are actually selling for near or even over the PE price. they are normally around $45 - $50 each at PE. If I find a good deal on another set of 4 I might jump on them, but at this point I don't think I can justify another $200 for the rest of the seats. Usually, its just the kids and I in the theater anyways. Plus, I'm trying to save up for a new projector first smile.gif
post #184 of 227 Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just be patient and check parts express often. They will occasionally put them on sale for $25 bucks. In particular around any given holiday sale.
post #185 of 227 Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Just be patient and check parts express often. They will occasionally put them on sale for $25 bucks. In particular around any given holiday sale.

Thanks for the tip! at $25 a pop I'd definitely get more.
post #186 of 227 Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have some old ones unused factory wrapped I never used. Not sure why I keep saving them. You interested ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #187 of 227 Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Had some time on my hands and went through the entire build thread. All I can say is wow! I love the way you integrated everything with XBMC. When the time comes in the distant future for me to make my own home theater I'll be spending some time going through this thread again.
post #188 of 227 Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thread and great work Can't wait to see the finished product! I would love to get shakers and will one of these days.
post #189 of 227 Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Had some time on my hands and went through the entire build thread. All I can say is wow! I love the way you integrated everything with XBMC. When the time comes in the distant future for me to make my own home theater I'll be spending some time going through this thread again.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions on the xbmc integration. I'd be happy to explain anything in more detail if needed.
post #190 of 227 Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not directly theater related, but I did a minor upgrade to my server tonight. I added a Seagate 4 TB drive to bring the total capacity to over 12 TB. It doesn't seem like all that long ago that 1TB seemed enormous.
post #191 of 227 Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Not directly theater related, but I did a minor upgrade to my server tonight. I added a Seagate 4 TB drive to bring the total capacity to over 12 TB. It doesn't seem like all that long ago that 1TB seemed enormous.

I have a 1.5 TB Raid 0 NAS and I think I have about 300 GB stored on it, total. That is all my music (about 400 albums worth, 100+ lossless), all my photos, and all my documents. I don't have many movies which probably makes all the difference.

Sweet though, I'd eventually like to get a more robust setup and rip my Blu-ray movies, if that is possible.
post #192 of 227 Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I have a 1.5 TB Raid 0 NAS and I think I have about 300 GB stored on it, total. That is all my music (about 400 albums worth, 100+ lossless), all my photos, and all my documents. I don't have many movies which probably makes all the difference.

Sweet though, I'd eventually like to get a more robust setup and rip my Blu-ray movies, if that is possible.

Yeah all my music, documents and photos as well as a friend's CrashPlan backup are all on a 1 TB RAID 1 array and I still have a couple hundred GB free. The movies definitely take up the most space by far. I have about 1300 movies stored on the server right now. Some are compressed DVD rips, but I've been slowly replacing everything with Blu-Ray.
post #193 of 227 Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Yeah all my music, documents and photos as well as a friend's CrashPlan backup are all on a 1 TB RAID 1 array and I still have a couple hundred GB free. The movies definitely take up the most space by far. I have about 1300 movies stored on the server right now. Some are compressed DVD rips, but I've been slowly replacing everything with Blu-Ray.

Yes, I too have been replacing my DVDs with Blu-Ray Discs. I think I've done about 120 so far (link is in my signature to my collection). I hit a real addiction last year to Blu-ray Discs, but luckily I am cured and now I only buy them about as much as a normal person. It's hard for me to watch a DVD now, I can instantly tell the difference, and it annoys me. smile.gif

But back on topic, those butt-kickers look cool. I've thought about getting some, it's not too expensive. What amp are you going to be running yours off of?
post #194 of 227 Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #195 of 227 Old 07-17-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I here ya. I am at 13.5 TB and am going to have to add onther drive shortly, will be a 3TB drive this time
post #196 of 227 Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I spent some time on eBay and picked up a few more bass shakers. I had read that the older model of the Aura Bass Shakers had nearly identical internal construction to the Pro model, so i figured I'd give them a shot. For those that dont know, the older 'non-pro' model looks like this:

I ended up winning 2 auctions with 2 shakers each for a total of around $65 including shipping. I didn't figure that was too bad to add the shakers to my remaining 4 seats.

I've received one set of shakers already and installed them for testing. What I found is that despite the claims I found stating that the internals were the same as my 'pro' shakers, the effect is not quite the same. I'd estimate that the amount of 'shaking force' that i experience is about 65% to 75% of what I experience with my 'pro' shakers. However, since the seats I put these in are not my personal primary seating position, and the cost was significantly less than buying more 'pro' shakers I am happy with the results. I'd still recommend the 'non pro' shakers to anyone who wants to try out the idea of adding bass shakers and doesn't want to invest a lot in the project.
post #197 of 227 Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have the shakers installed in all 6 seats now. However, I'm only currently powering 4 of them. I had originally wired the front two seats in a series and the back 4 seats in a series, then running those two sets in parallel to the amp for about a 5.5 Ohm load (tested with multimeter) Unfortunately having 4 shakers in one series really cut down the amount of power each one got and reduced the effect so much that i just wasn't happy with it any more. So now only two of the seats in the back row have shakers powered until I pick up another amp for the other two.
post #198 of 227 Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And.... i just couldn't resist it any longer. I ordered myself a brand new shiny Panasonic pt-ae8000u. Now I better get to work on the finishing touches in the theater cause nothing is going to get done once that thing arrives! smile.gif
post #199 of 227 Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If you wired each pair in series and then the three pairs in parallel you would have a 2.6 ohm load. Assuming your amp is 2 ohm stable you would have twice the power output you had running at 5.4.

Tim
post #200 of 227 Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

If you wired each pair in series and then the three pairs in parallel you would have a 2.6 ohm load. Assuming your amp is 2 ohm stable you would have twice the power output you had running at 5.4.

Tim

Yeah, I know. My Amp is only speced to run down to 4 Ohms. I'm just going to keep an eye out for a deal on another amp or a different one that I can use to run all 6 shakers.
post #201 of 227 Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finally started putting together the removable panels for under the soffit. There will be 2 of these per side and one in the rear of the room above the projector so that i can still open up the soffit to fish wires and make changes if needed.

The basic idea is the outer edge of the panels simply rest on top the wall panels. there are flanges on the inner edge that sit on top the oak trim for the light tray. The panels are 1/2" narrower than the distance from the oak trim to the wall. To install I simply put the outer edge on top the wall panel, push it flush, and slide it towards the center of the room so it rests against the oak trim board. to remove i just push them toward the wall a little bit and they come right down. There is a fair amount of friction, so i dont think i really need to worry about them going anywhere on their own.

Of course, they will be covered in the same black fabric as the other sections.
post #202 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I finally started putting together the removable panels for under the soffit. There will be 2 of these per side and one in the rear of the room above the projector so that i can still open up the soffit to fish wires and make changes if needed.

The basic idea is the outer edge of the panels simply rest on top the wall panels. there are flanges on the inner edge that sit on top the oak trim for the light tray. The panels are 1/2" narrower than the distance from the oak trim to the wall. To install I simply put the outer edge on top the wall panel, push it flush, and slide it towards the center of the room so it rests against the oak trim board. to remove i just push them toward the wall a little bit and they come right down. There is a fair amount of friction, so i dont think i really need to worry about them going anywhere on their own.

Of course, they will be covered in the same black fabric as the other sections.

Ahh thats a great idea!
post #203 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since my theater is approaching completion and all the major purchases are complete, I did a rough analysis of the costs for the build. I started this project with the intent to keep the cost as reasonable as possible and to not impact normal household finances too much. I'm a single father, I don't have an extravagant paycheck, I paid for things as I went and only bought things as I could afford them. I did take advantage of free financing offers, but I haven't paid a single cent of interest on anything and its all paid for. I made use of craigslist and eBay and kept my eye out for sales. You'll need to decide for yourself if this falls within the 'Low Budget' category or not. Keep in mind the costs were spread out over several years, so the monthly financial impact was fairly painless. I didn't include tool purchases since I'll use those for other projects for years to come.
When I started, my goal was to spend less than 10k start to finish, including equipment and seating. I still have a few finishing touches that might add a couple hundred, but I came pretty darn close to my goal. My room has all the features I wanted and even some I hadn't even thought of when I started. I didn't add up receipts, but I did keep a mental note of the costs for each major stage of the build as I went, so the breakdown should be pretty close. Considering how these things tend to go over budget, I consider the build to be a huge success. For those working on a budget, it is possible to build the theater of your dreams. It just takes hard work, patience and persistence.

diy automated screen masking $200
DIY f20 subwoofer $300
inuke 1000dsp $200
Yamaha rx-v867 Reciever $400
7 polk audio speakers $700
star ceiling $1,000
carpet $700
Panasonic pt-ae8000u $2,200
seats $1,300
columns $600
misc oak trim $250
DIY AT screen $400
general misc construction $700
Bass shakers / amp $250
grafik eye (used off ebay) $160
lighting/transformer $170
HTPC (used existing parts) $50
wall fabric $400
acoustical treatments $250
Digital Poster display $150

grand total: $10,380
post #204 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It may have cost you $10K which is probably a "budget" theater, but it sure as hell doesn't look like a $10K budget!

Great job!
post #205 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
IS drywall included in that general miscellaneous cost? I know that was the single largest expense for me, but I did pay to have the entire basement sheettocked (130 sheets).

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #206 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes it is, although i should state that some of the items could be off my estimate by +/- 10%.
I opted not to do much of anything for soundproofing. so the walls are just 1/2" and the ceiling is 5/8". Most of the framing was already there before I started so the basic structure of the room was pretty cheap. I got my sheetrock when it was nice and cheap too (about half of what it would cost today, I remember buying some of the 1/2" stuff for about $4 a sheet), so it was probably only $300 tops for sheetrocking the theater. Doing all the labor myself helped cut costs considerably. The remaining misc cost I mostly allocated to electrical, stage, riser and soffit framing.
post #207 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe you found a Grafik Eye for under $200
post #208 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I am Jelly for sure... eek.gif Damn that's cheap

-

post #209 of 227 Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Neither could I. I just looked it up today. I purchased it February of 2010. It was $150 plus $10 shipping on eBay. its an older 4 zone model (3104 if i remember right). the cover is cracked a little, but for the price I just couldn't pass it up. I'm not sure what features the newer models offer over the one I have. This one does everything I need. I have it integrated into my automation using an IR blaster so I can control it from my iPad. The automation scripts on my HTPC also send signals to activate scenes when the movie starts / stops as well.
post #210 of 227 Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today is the day! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Panasonic ae8000u. The next couple hours can't go by fast enough!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page