post #211 of 228 Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Today is the day! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Panasonic ae8000u. The next couple hours can't go by fast enough!

Will you be able to hook it up and watch a movie, or are there other things you'll have to do before you can play with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I should be able to set it up right away. I already have the mount and all cabling in place from my old projector. Hopefully it will be pretty quick to get it up and running. I picked up a couple pair of xpand 3d glasses for $12 to test out too.
post #213 of 228 Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Today is the day! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Panasonic ae8000u. The next couple hours can't go by fast enough!

Congrats!

It is exciting...I remember when I received my projector a year and a half ago....it still sits in a pretty box
post #214 of 228 Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have the new projector installed, up and running! I have the lens memory function set for 16:9 and 2.35:1 ratios. I'm surprised how quickly it can detect and automatically switch between the two. It works really well for my setup. Brightness is greatly improved over my old 700u. The 8000u is very watchable with some ambient light, something I had issues with before. Unfortunately, it also makes the difference between bluray and DVD much more noticeable, so it looks like i'll be expanding my bluray library too smile.gif
post #215 of 228 Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I have the new projector installed, up and running! I have the lens memory function set for 16:9 and 2.35:1 ratios. I'm surprised how quickly it can detect and automatically switch between the two. It works really well for my setup. Brightness is greatly improved over my old 700u. The 8000u is very watchable with some ambient light, something I had issues with before. Unfortunately, it also makes the difference between bluray and DVD much more noticeable, so it looks like i'll be expanding my bluray library too smile.gif

I went from 250 DVDs and 0 blu-rays, to 365 blu-rays and 100 DVDs in a couple of years. I made a post a while back about cheap ways to upgrade your collection to blu-ray. But yeah I've noticed SD content doesn't look so good on the big screen. No amount of "upscaling" can fix it. smile.gif
post #216 of 228 Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More cheap automation! I decided that I wanted the theater to be as easy to use as possible. And i have always been annoyed that I needed to walk over to the equipment room to turn on my HTPC and subwoofer amplifier. My receiver is connected to my network and has an iPad app, so i can power it up that way or using the remote via IR repeaters. The iNuke amp i have running my sub does not have an auto turn on feature, just a bush button on/off toggle. So, I picked up a current sensing switched outlet off ebay to take care of turning the amp on when my receiver turns on.
But turning on my pc automatically was going require another custom solution. so I built this:

It simulates a button press using relay when it gets +12v from the trigger output of the receiver. The other relay opens the circuit once the pc has powered on. so turning the receiver on and off wont send more button presses. I configured the 12 trigger to only go high when the HDMI input for the HTPC is active, so i can still use the reciever for other sources without the HTPC turning on. Its pretty slick.
post #217 of 228 Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally, some more progress!
Tonight I put together the first of the grilles for the columns. I wasn't sure if my construction plan would work so I just started with one.
First, I built the frame. Basically, I built a top and bottom plate using 1/2 plywood and corner trim to create an overhang.
Since my corners probably aren't exactly 45 degrees, I opted to use round dowels for the front supports to allow for more margin of error.
I added some blocks at the ends of the dowels for added strength. The assembly is glued and finish nailed together.

I used some automotive body filler to fill in the gaps and sanded the corner trim to match the radius of the dowel.
IMG_8419Large_zpsb5bcabd3.jpg

Then, I stretched the fabric over the frame. Here you can see how the fabric is installed around the corner trim overhang.

And the finished grille panel.
IMG_8421Large_zpscd8935d8.jpg

And here it is, friction fit in its new home. The grille stays put very well on its own, but is still easily removable to access the speaker which it hides.
IMG_8424Large_zpsab502b38.jpg

IMG_8428Large_zpscaa05fa1.jpg

IMG_8436Large_zpsad607d28.jpg
post #218 of 228 Old 09-17-2013, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Terrific job!! Looks really sharp.
post #219 of 228 Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The rest of the column grilles are assembled and installed. Now I don't need to look at bare speakers anymore smile.gif I didn't mention it in my previous post, but the clearance inside the column is pretty slim. I had to remove the factory grilles from the speakers to get them to fit without hitting the column grille face. There is only about 1/2 in clearance.

Here's a shot of the room as it looks now.
Spaceman likes this.
post #220 of 228 Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This is fantastic, well done!

What kit did you purchase for the fiber optic stars? I have seen a few and I am not sure what to get or how many.

Thanks
post #221 of 228 Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

This is fantastic, well done!

What kit did you purchase for the fiber optic stars? I have seen a few and I am not sure what to get or how many.

Thanks

I didn't really use a 'kit'. I used two of the coolsky LED illuminators and purchased three different sizes of fiber on spools. it did take quite a bit of planning to figure out how much fiber to get. The amount you will need will greatly depend on your layout size and how dense you want the star field.
post #222 of 228 Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

[quote name="FantaXP7" url="/t/1221305/great-dane-cinema-aka-brents-budget-theater/210#post_23862537"]This is fantastic, well done!What kit did you purchase for the fiber optic stars? I have seen a few and I am not sure what to get or how many.Thanks[/quote]I didn't really use a 'kit'. I used two of the coolsky LED illuminators and purchased three different sizes of fiber on spools. it did take quite a bit of planning to figure out how much fiber to get. The amount you will need will greatly depend on your layout size and how dense you want the star field.

Cool. Any chance you could link me the materials?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
post #223 of 228 Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
wow this is looking great and gave me some more ideas. ^_^ *subscribed

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #224 of 228 Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got caught up on your thread - the theater really looks great.

post #225 of 228 Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its been a while since I've posted, but I'm finally getting around to getting the finishing touches done on the theater.
First up, the entrance is finally taking shape. I've never actually posted pics of the door to the theater mainly because i didn't quite have it all figured out yet. Up until a couple weeks ago, the door to the theater had been a regular oak 6 panel door. It got left open a lot and I just never really like it. So I decided that I wanted double doors for the entrance. And i wanted them to close on their own. I purchased a set of bifold doors from my local Menards, built my own jamb, routed out for the hinges and ended up with this:

I still need to stain them, but I really like the way it feels different to enter the theater than any other room in the house. I used some spring loaded hinges to make sure the doors always close. No more light leaking in and shining on my screen! yes!

I have made extensive use of custom control and diy automation in the theater to make it easy for anyone to use. I had previously been using my iPad to control the theater, but i decided that i wanted something more permanent in the room. I had an unused iPhone laying around so I bought a dock for it and used double sided tape to attach it to the armrest of one of the front chairs. I routed a usb cable through the armrest for keeping it charged. Its accessible, yet out of the way.

In the front of the room, near the screen I added a panel with USB ports that connect back to the PC that runs the theater. I use them for connecting game controllers and my flight yoke for X Plane. There is also an ethernet port and an HDMI input so we can connect game consoles (Mario Kart 8 is pretty fun on the big screen)

Lastly, the screen wall is almost complete i installed the last panel above the screen tonight.

And a shot with an image overlayed on the screen:

I still have some staining and a little trim work left, but the room is getting very close to completion!
Elill likes this.
post #226 of 228 Old 10-10-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Very nice, love it!

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #227 of 228 Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking great Meyer64!
Mfusick likes this.
post #228 of 228 Old 12-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Beautiful room!

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page