Great Dane Cinema aka Brent's Budget Theater - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #241 of 261 Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
$215 each? that's a very good deal.

PS3 - PS4 - Kodi HTPC - 6TB Seagate NAS
Marantz AV7702 - Emotiva XPA5 - Emotiva UPA-700
(2)Polk RTi12, CSi5, (4)RTi4, (2)MFW-15 subs, (4)polk owm3 ceiling mounted for atmos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 04-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
The rest of the column grilles are assembled and installed. Now I don't need to look at bare speakers anymore I didn't mention it in my previous post, but the clearance inside the column is pretty slim. I had to remove the factory grilles from the speakers to get them to fit without hitting the column grille face. There is only about 1/2 in clearance.

Here's a shot of the room as it looks now.

Hey Meyer,

What kind of chairs are those? They look just like the coaster director chairs I own. I've been looking for something that can do a loveseat config on the 2cd riser level. Your setup might fit my needs.

Thanks!
post #243 of 261 Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
Hey Meyer,

What kind of chairs are those? They look just like the coaster director chairs I own. I've been looking for something that can do a loveseat config on the 2cd riser level. Your setup might fit my needs.

Thanks!
They are SeatCraft Argonaut. I bought them slightly used. I had to do some slight modification to achieve the loveseat configuration. As far as i know they aren't normally available that way. It was pretty easy to do though. I just had to remove the armrest from one of the chairs and install a pull cable for the manual recline mechanism that's secured between the two seats. Then bolted the two center chairs together using existing holes. It wasn't difficult nor time consuming, but it was an extra modification on my part.

post #244 of 261 Old 04-08-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
They are SeatCraft Argonaut. I bought them slightly used. I had to do some slight modification to achieve the loveseat configuration. As far as i know they aren't normally available that way. It was pretty easy to do though. I just had to remove the armrest from one of the chairs and install a pull cable for the manual recline mechanism that's secured between the two seats. Then bolted the two center chairs together using existing holes. It wasn't difficult nor time consuming, but it was an extra modification on my part.
ah i see. where did you find the used chairs? CL?
post #245 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, its been a while since I've posted, over a year by the looks of it. The theater has been in its almost finished stage for quite some time now, and no its still not quite done. The last remaining task is to finish off the door and entry trim. I plan to get that done in the next few weeks. Just because the theater hasn't changed much, doesn't mean I haven't been busy. I've been slowly working on finishing the rest of my basement and turning it into an entertainment space with a game room and a bar. Over the next few posts I'll outline what I've been up to.

First, I have to share a bit of sad news that has hit my family quite hard. My Great Dane, Madi, whom the the Great Dane Cinema is named for passed away a few weeks ago. She was a big part of our family who my kids grew up with over the past 11 years. She was a big dog with an ever bigger heart and will forever be missed.

VTstang and brazensol like this.
post #246 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A while back.. probably close to a year now, I decided to make use of some of my scrap wood and leftovers from the columns to make a nice entry for the theater. I used 1/4 inch oak plywood to create a curved marquee that sits just above the door. The letters came from Hobby Lobby, which a great source for HT related decor.

Its hard to tell looking at it head on, but the marquee does have a curve to it to match the curve of the soffit over the theater screen.

The doors have since been removed to be stained and to finish the trim work on the outside of the room. We'll get back to that later.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 03:35 PM.
post #247 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Inside the theater I installed chair rail to cover the seam between the lower black wall panels and the upper green panels. Its a nice touch to finish off the room and looks pretty sharp.

Altzheimer likes this.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 05:58 PM.
post #248 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The majority of my recent work has occurred outside of the theater itself. I must give my girlfriend credit for helping me to achieve all this. She has been a terrific helper.
The rest of the basement was completely transformed after finishing the drywall, texturing and painting.

We then installed a drop ceiling. I seem to have misplaced the progess pictures at the moment... We opted for the drop celing instead of drywall to maintain easy access to plumbing, gas, and electrical.

My digital poster screen has been replaced with a slightly larger 43" 4k model. Since this display has a fairly thin bezel, I have not installed a wooden frame for it this time around.

As you can see in the above picture, we also installed wood look tile throughout the rest of the basement space. This was a very long and exhausting process, but it turned out looking great and should last basically forever..... and there is no way I'm going through the trouble of tearing it out..
Since the house isn't completely square along with it being my first time laying tile we decided that laying the tile on an angle would be best. This gives a distinct look as well as hides any uneven lines since there are no grout lines parallel with the wall.
We started by cutting the end of each row at a 45 degree angle and staggered the pieces at random lengths. In the corner you can see the crappy little $25 wet tile saw I got on Black Friday. Believe it or not, it lasted through the entire project. The blade it came with even lasted through most of it.

A lot of long nights were spent working on this project. This is not a one man job....

Almost there....
Here you can still see the outline from when I painted the screen frame.

And finally,roughly 900 sq ft later, we have a beautiful wood look tile floor.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #249 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We also took the opportunity to finish of the utility room. This is the area where the equipment that runs the theater is. The equipment is installed in custom half racks built in the area under the stairs. I still need to trim it but its getting there.

post #250 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm also installing a bar directly outside of the theater. I used inexpensive unfinished cabinets from Menards as the base. The rear cabinets are actually 12" deep wall cabinets. I build a base for them to bring them up to height to match the rest of the base cabinets. The wall cabinets were used to conserve space and still provide some additional storage space. 24" cabinets would have just made the bar too big.

The cabinets were finished with red oak stain to match the finish used in the theater. You may have noticed that the doors and other trim in the basement are a golden oak. Using red oak in the bar ties the two rooms together and provides a nice contrast. You can also see my Paragon Cineplex popcorn machine that the girlfriend got me for my birthday as well as some wall art from Hobby Lobby. The frames on the wall to the right are sports schedules from when my dad was in high school. He had hand written the scores of each game he played on them. My grandmother found them in a drawer and gave them to me after my dad died. They make a very nice tribute to keep and remind me of all the (obviously exaggerated) football stories he told. Perfect for the family bar.

To accommodate for the sink I decided to use an automatic drain pump. This allowed me to avoid digging up the concrete floor to run a new drain line. The pump attaches directly to the sink, requires no venting and is activated by a pressure switch whenever water flows down the drain. Drain water is pumped up and over to a nearby drain stack.

Here is how the bar sits now. The front of the bar will likely be finished in some sort of natural or cultured stone. The counter and bar top are temporary until I decide on the finished surface.

We are looking at options for the counter top, considering pretty much everything available. As always, the best value and ability to install it myself will be taken into consideration.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 05:17 PM.
post #251 of 261 Old 04-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Sorry to hear about your dog. Many of us here can sympathize with what you are going through.

Your sign looks great! Gives me some ideas...

I am also doing the flooring in my basement but I am doing it in stages because the basement is so big (~2,800 sq/ft) and I'm essentially doing most of it twice (once with dricore panels and then the flooring itself). Just looking at your tile job makes my knees and lower back ache... Great way to disguise non-square walls with that angled install!
post #252 of 261 Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My sympathies Ours passed away some months ago, hard time for us all :/
regarding the counter top, my favourite would be the sample front left
post #253 of 261 Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Sorry to hear about your loss

Excellent progress on your space! That floor is really nice, we're going to redo our bar and we were thinking wood floor behind it, but that tile might be a better way to go.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #254 of 261 Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss

Excellent progress on your space! That floor is really nice, we're going to redo our bar and we were thinking wood floor behind it, but that tile might be a better way to go.
I got samples of several types of flooring. Originally I had planned on using laminate or vinyl planks. I was concerned about the laminate developing gaps between the pieces. I've seen this happen before when its installed over a large area, especially where temperature and humidity can fluctuate, like in a basement. The vinyl planks looked nice, but didn't stand up to the durability test. They scratched very easily and that wasn't going to work for me. I have installed carpet, laminate, hardwood, and now tile floors. I will say that the tile was the most time consuming and labor intensive. I'm happy with how it turned out though. I was able to take advantage of a sale and my total cost for materials came out around $2 per square ft installed. Of course, all labor was done by myself with some help from the family. I'm sure that cost would increase substantially if you hired it out.
PTAaron likes this.
post #255 of 261 Old 04-26-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We can cheat as my wife's cousin does tile professionally and has offered to do tile for us "any time" with free labor if we buy the materials.

We were looking at hardwood flooring for our bar top, we thought about tile up there - but I was concerned about people having a little too much fun and damaging barware on the tile

-Aaron
post #256 of 261 Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yesterday I was able to find some time to get the doors and trim re-installed. The wall is an extra thick 10" so I had to get somewhat creative with the door jamb and trim, but I think it worked out well.

Now that the entry is done, I can consider the Great Dane Cinema officially 'Complete'. I'm sure there will be upgrades and minor tweaks here and there though.

Some upgrades are already being planned for. I already acquired Polk OWM3 speakers that fit perfectly between my soffit and the ceiling. They should work well for the eventual ATMOS upgrade without having to make modifications the ceiling itself. That's a ways off though as I can't justify the cost for a new receiver and additional amps right now. I also need to redo my equipment rack to make room for a new unRAID box I'm building to replace my old storage server. I also still need to finish the bar, but that's external to the theater itself.

Another bit of good news. Life just didn't seem right without a giant goofy dog around. So, we are now the proud owners of an adorable blue Great Dane puppy. Meet Daisy.

post #257 of 261 Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Entry looks awesome, and Daisy is adorable!

-Aaron
post #258 of 261 Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Beautiful theater and basement. Really love the tile and the overall look of the bar area. You've done a great job detailing your journey in this thread. It's been a really good read that's provided tons of inspiration for me!
post #259 of 261 Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Typical Dane puppy, paws come out full grown.
post #260 of 261 Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Great job! Looks really nice. Enjoy!

And only slightly faster than me.

And when's the party?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #261 of 261 Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Congrats on finishing the theater, and the new pup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page