How to add a 2nd light to a two way switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
OK, I have never touched a three way switch before but I want to add a lighted Marquee in my stairwell that leads to the theater. I have a 2' x 4' fluorescent light fixture that I want to add to the switch so when you turn on the light to go down the stairs the marquee comes on and vice versa.

I can access the light switch at the bottom of the stairs and want to tie the black, white and ground wires for the light ficture into the switch but not sure where to put the black? I figure I can tie the ground and white in with the other ones in the switch but not sure where the black goes as there are two black leads coming off the switch. One with a gold screw and one with a black screw.

Any help?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Switches interrupt the power lead so your two black wires on the switch are basically power to the switch and power from the switch to the fixture. You can pigtail the power lead from the breaker box into the switch to give yourself one power lead for each switch. In other words, take two short leads and splice them to the existing feed lead then run one to each switch. All this is assuming the circuit can safely support the additional load.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your response. I can only get wiring from the new fixture to one of the switches. So I need to run wiring from the new fixture to BOTH switches for it to work?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Basically, I want to add a light fixture at one of the three way switches. The existing light fixture is recessed cans and I cannot get to their wiring without tearing out some drywall so I can only access the wiring at the switch From what I am reading online it says you cannot add a light fixture at the 3 way switch - only by piggy backing on the existing light fixture. Anyone know a way around this?

post #5 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I initially replied under the impression you were working with a standard one location switch. Seeing now that you're dealing with three way switches makes things more interesting. Depending on how the existing light is currently wired I think it can be done if you can get the wiring into the right switch. The link below may help.
http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...yswitches.html
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page