post #31 of 37 Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

We built our house in 2001/2, so thankfully we did not need to install these.. another scam for the local inspector / city and a useless expense. They did get us on fire detectors, we have 12 in our house all connected in series.

12 fire detectors? Why so many?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK, let's get back to basics!
First not all US jurisdictions are under NEC 2008 (soon to be NEC 2011).
Some are under older codes, some have additions or subtractions to code and some are not under NEC at all.

There are 3 basic types of circuit trips:

a) Over current. It may take over 3 hours for a slight current overload or almost instantaneously for a large current overload to shut-down.

b)GFCI. A ground fault is when all the "hot" lead current does not return through the "neutral" wire. Some power conditioners can cause GF shut-downs by dumping the noise current to the safety ground causing a "hot" to "neutral" current imbalance.

c)AFCI. These are sparks. Small older electrical equipment with motors like hair dryers or food blenders can cause Arc Fault shut-downs.

Kevin
post #33 of 37 Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

12 fire detectors? Why so many?

One for each bedroom, one at the top of each staircase, on in the theater and basement.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #34 of 37 Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
A quick update.....

I disconnected the DTV STB to simplify things to eliminate the potential that the DTV coax is leaking the current.

I have not had a chance to run a leakage current experiment, but I will try and get to it some time this coming week. In the meantime, I replaced the AFCI breaker with a standard breaker as a stop gap. I will post the results of powering up each piece of equipment once I get that done.
post #35 of 37 Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiewilson3 View Post

A quick update.....

I disconnected the DTV STB to simplify things to eliminate the potential that the DTV coax is leaking the current.

I have not had a chance to run a leakage current experiment, but I will try and get to it some time this coming week. In the meantime, I replaced the AFCI breaker with a standard breaker as a stop gap. I will post the results of powering up each piece of equipment once I get that done.

I'll bet your stop gap becomes your permanent solution...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #36 of 37 Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I am guessing that you are right. Again, I dont know that I will be able to fix/find the true source of the problem, but if I can, then I can. I did some google research, and I am not the first person to encounter the problem. If you search some electrician forums, it comes up from time to time.

I am just glad that I know enough to be able to do some diagnostics and also swap out a breaker, rather than pay someone to do it. It would have been a nice little bill, even to get this far. And I have access to a decent multimeter, which would cost me a nice $$ as well.
post #37 of 37 Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM

If neutral and ground wires come in contact with each other it will trip your breaker. I would try disconnecting the cable to the satellite box and see if it will stay on. Some times a neutral can get mixed with the ground from the tv cable in newer televisions as to where before your older tv didn't even have a ground prong on it's cord
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page