I hope my HT will inspire you... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Sweden, but lived my whole life in the USA until two years ago.
I thought I would share my experience of converting an oddly shaped third floor room into my dream Home Theater. Hopefully people can get inspired and get some good ideas for their own Home Theater’s in their homes. I have linked a series of videos documenting the transformation for your enjoyment. Helpfully you find it enjoyable and maybe even inspiring. The room had three access doors, two windows, a stove pipe, two radiators, and an angled ceiling. What a nightmare!

I will tell you up front that this project started with me thinking I would buy some equipment and put it in the room myself. I met a custom installer when I was inquiring about buying some speakers, and his insights and knowledge are why I now have a custom Home Theater rather than a room with equipment in it. What you will see in the linked videos are a progression of this transformation. So I must first and most importantly give credit to those people that made it possible for my dream to come true.

Pär Hörnell of Installit AB dreamed up this room and held my hand (not literally!!!) for many months as I went back and forth on what I wanted, checked and re-checked any info I received, and basically pestered the **** out of him. He did it all with passionate professionalism, expert advice, and as a genuinely nice person. Installit AB does the installs for Vibrations, and I want to publically thank them for a level of service and caring that has exceeded my expectations. I am a perfectionist, and Pär never stopped exceeding my expectations. This has been the best experience with any company I have ever had in my 32 years on this Earth. Micke and Joakim did the install and Pär will do the AV calibration. Pär left me in some good hands, as Mica and Joakim are amazing with what they can do with tools and their creativity. Any time you are refitting a room rather than building it from the ground up, you are bound to encounter some nasty surprises. These guys overcame everything and actually exceeded my wildest dreams.

On to the room……My goal here was a man room where I could have my own little space to watch my Blu rays and play PS3 games. The room achieved tha,t but went further by becoming a Home Theater that my wife and two kids can enjoy as well. We put lots of time and effort to make it look as nice as it performs, and I think we achieved something special that the whole family will enjoy for years to come. Here is a list of the components used in the room:
Procella 5.2 speaker system (P6\\P10)
Integra DHC 9.9 Processor
Emotiva MPS-2 7x200 Power Amplifier (the only thing I got on my own before I met Pär)
Opp BDP-83 Blu ray player (region free)
PS3
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Screen Research CP2 Acoustically Transparent Screen (235 cm wide
Supra Mains Distribution block
Middle Atlantic rack
Chief PJ mount

I want to say thanks to Procella for driving my speakers to my house six hours here and six hours back in a snow storm, because there was a mix up and the speakers never got sent. What a company to do something like that!
I want to thank Pär, Micke, and Joakim…for making a dream come true. I can’t believe the room real and actually mine. I feel like a 7 year old with Disney World in their house!

I also learned in this experience how IMPORTANT making the room right is for AV performance: dimensions, baffle wall, acoustic treatment, speaker placement, etc.

In my humble opinion, if you are serious about getting the best performance from your HT, you can do no better than Pär, Micke, Joakim, and Installit/Vibrations.

Lastly, Procella speakers are the best value in HT that I have ever seen. They are breathtaking and reference level. They have revealed what is actually on the soundtrack to my favorite movies in a way that is unreal. I do not think there are any speakers available today that will do any better, IMHO.

If you are ever near Örebro, Sweden... and want to come over for a little demo just email me at thomson25@gmail.com .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some pics......... Link 

Big thank you to Pär, Micke, and Joakim! I cannot forget Procella for the amazing speakers and even better customer service. Thanks guys

post #3 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 06:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

If you are ever near Örebro, Sweden... and want to come over for a little demo just email me at thomson25@gmail.com .

Great Job with a horrible room! A trip to Sweden has been on my bucket list for some time so you never know.

I looked at the videos and didn't see any mention of the wall treatments which look like all wood diffusers. Can you give us some more details on those, they are very interesting.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
post #5 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Those Procella's are killers, yes? Our THX screening room used three P815, three P10, two P18 and six P8s. We have another batch ready to install in St. Louis and it looks like one more in Florida. Really great speakers. Enjoy!

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #6 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

Those Procella's are killers, yes? Our THX screening room used three P815, three P10, two P18 and six P8s. We have another batch ready to install in St. Louis and it looks like one more in Florida. Really great speakers. Enjoy!

Thanks. I am extremely happy with them. Neutral, clean, and very dynamic. What more could I want.

The treatments are diffusers made by a guy in Sweden. He is supposed to be good. I think they look beautiful and really make the room feel special. They have also definitely improved the sound. The room sounds bigger and the overall sound is more enveloping. AV calibration on Tuesday.....very excited. The screen frame was hand made and wrapped in velvet. I must say that the way everything came together it is hard to pick a favorite part....and I guess that is a success. Now I just have to find a way to stop bass waves from traveling throughout the house
post #7 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

No doubt. It really looks like you made some lemonade there.

You hit the nail on the head. You have to be little crazy to decide to turn a room like that into a HT....but crazy is my specialty. I think the small size of the room and the slanted ceiling creates an intimacy where you feel like you the movie is being shown just for you and you alone. It is really "cozy".
post #8 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

I think the intimacy of a home presentation is one of the great assets for home theater. Hollywood totally lost that battle when they focused on building megaplexes instead of movie palaces.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

I think the intimacy of a home presentation is one of the great assets for home theater. Hollywood totally lost that battle when they focused on building megaplexes instead of movie palaces.

It feels like the movie is just for me and my wife. I can't even compare the experience to a movie theater, because my HT blows away 95+% of theaters in terms if AV quality (as any nice HT will). Not to mention I can pause the movie and get a snack or use a clean restroom. Couches beat movie theater seats by a mile as well! Don't get me wrong, going to the movies is a night out and usually includes dinner....but there are fewer and fewer reasons to go to the theater for me. Two small kids helps with that as well.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

You are preaching to the choir my man! I went to a commercial theater Friday for the first time since I saw Avatar, only because it was the grand debut of D-BOX seating at a commercial theater in our area.

Almost without exception now, I only go to a commercial theater for the event, not the showing.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Great Job with a horrible room! A trip to Sweden has been on my bucket list for some time so you never know.

I looked at the videos and didn't see any mention of the wall treatments which look like all wood diffusers. Can you give us some more details on those, they are very interesting.

I will ask my installer about a website or something on the diffusers. They have fin like things on them that are curled in a way. Here are a few pics.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

A little bit late but the diffusors are made by a company in Sweden called Svanå Miljö och teknik. For US customers check out this page: http://www.performanceacousticslabs....ing_Rooms.html
post #13 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

SMT AB
post #14 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
very nice room. i am planning to replace my MKsound speakers out ,with procella P6. But i am afraid that my very little room , will be a problem regards the surround sitting to close to the listener ( 1.3m from side surround to the main seat )
what is you room dimensions..? depth and wide

regards Peter

denmark

Peter
Denmark
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction