The "KC Cinema" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have planned to build a dedicated HT room for years and have never had the time or space to do it the way I wanted while I was finishing my training for my career. However, now that I am settled in and have a dedicated area to work with, construction has finally begun! I have long hours at work, so while I would love to do all the building it just is not feasible unless I wanna take a couple years. So instead I am having it built in 6 weeks by a pro firm.

The room in my basement is roughly 19' wide, 25' long and has 13' ceilings
Plans are for 2 rows of 5 seats, a coffered ceiling with rope lighting and full sound isolation (clips/channel/double 5/8" drywall with GG, proper HVAC, etc) and treatment (combination of absorption and diffusion from Quest Acoustical using their Acoustical Lens system behind GOM at locations per the acousticians specs. Bass trapping done by using the seating platform for second row as a resonator)
Screen will be a 11' wide 2.35 AT screen with motorized masking
PJ is Sim2 Lumis with ISCO3
Preamp is Denon AVPA1HDCI
Amps are ATI 3000 300W/ch for mains and qsc proamps for subs
Speakers are Klipsch THX U2 with 2 rows of side surrounds (9 total speakers)
Subs are 2 Danley DTS10 behind screen wall and 3 DIY subs using ShivaX2's that will be in the wall columns
Racks are 2 Middle Atlantic AXS mounted outside room.
Power is a 220V 30amp line to a Middle Atlantic isolation transformer plus 2 other dedicated 20 amp circuits and a rackmounted 2200VA UPS to keep PJ fan running if power goes out.
EQ for room is via 2 QSC DSP322ua's
Hushbox for projector is incorporated into soffit and is thermostatically vented and will have optical glass tilted 7 degrees
GOM is going to be FR701 Black on the screenwall and Spinel Obsidian on the walls with cherry stained columns and "judges panel" base. the coffered ceiling is this stain also.

Most of the the rough construction is done and they will be starting the trim and accoustic treatments next. It only took about 2 1/2 weeks so far to frame room, insulate, do HVAC and AC/DC, install clips/channel, drywall, secure OSB subfloor (concrete floors beforehand), build soffit/coffers, build screenwall and seating riser, and do low voltage wiring. These guys dont mess around and I am always impressed how much has been accomplished each day when I get home from work. Sometimes they work from 8 am to 10pm.

I am just getting this thread started to organize my thoughts and will post pics/you tube video when I get some more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hmmm...now I wonder just WHO might be doing your theater? Very cool! Sounds like one of the best!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOW! That's quick! Those are some top notch speakers, and a lot of equipment (2 racks!).

Who's building this out?

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Buildout is Erskine Group
I had considered going with Danley for the other speakers as well but I got such a great deal on the Klipsch from a local authorized dealer that was going into liquidation I could not pass them up. Perhaps once the "upgrade" bug hits I can try those. i had planned on DIY main subs as well as DIY column subs, but the DTS10 kit deal came along at just the right time! plus they are hidden so i just needed to spray paint em black.
I know that I really wanted to focus on putting my money on things that cant be easily redone and need to be perfect the first time aka the room and the treatments, hence my decision to use Dennis.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
You could not have chosen a better person. Well done, and congratulations on what I am sure will be, a spectacular room!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Out of curiosity which audio dealer in KC was liquidating, I know quite a few have gone out of business/sold out here in town lately ?
I echo the positive comments on the equipment and my jaw almost dropped at the height of your 'basement' ceiling
G.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Out of curiosity which audio dealer in KC was liquidating, I know quite a few have gone out of business/sold out here in town lately ?
I echo the positive comments on the equipment and my jaw almost dropped at the height of your 'basement' ceiling
G.

It was back when Accent Sound was going out of buisiness (on 135th and Metcalf in Overland Park). I got the main speakers plus 2 more surrounds but not the subs or sub amp from the Klipsch THX set.

As far as the ceiling height, it is a tiered basement b/c of the slope of our lot. On half (longitudinally) of the basement is 9 ft, one is 13. Guess which side I saved for the theater
Also, as you will see in the videos i am posting shortly, the room used to have a entry from the "upper tier" that is now walled off and also the biggest bummer of the room is that the foundation there at 2 area juts in at a 45 degree angle vs a nice 90 degree. One of these is hidden behind the screenwall, the other is in the back left corner. The cost of cutting out several feet of poured concrete so I could have a square back corner was, shall we say, "not cost effective" (think over 10k easy to rip out and structurally redo that one corner)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Pics! Pics! Pics!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am uploading videos to youtube as we speak. should be available tomm if i get done tonight.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

HT video 1
HT Video 2
HT Video 3
HT Video 4

More to come. I am tired and going to bed!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Love the vids!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Love the vids!

+1

Awesome!!!

Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Love the vids!

I agree! That is a great way to document the build vs pictures. It gives you a much better sense of the overall feel/size of the room.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Watched all the videos. Very nice. I just signed a contract for my drywall today. Will go in next Friday!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
bonedoc, looks like a great build! Looking forward to watching. Videos are great!

I'm running the Klipsch U2 system with one of the DTS10's from Danley in a 4700cf space! You are going to be very, very pleased!

Not sure about mixing the Shiva subs with the Danley...the horn design creates a 9ms delay that might cause issue with other subs. Unless you have the processing power to accomodate the differences. Also, with only one DTS-10, I can assure you that two in your space will do the job.

I went to Danley and have auditioned all of there mains and can safely say that I have upgraditus.

Best of luck!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Old 03-09-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

bonedoc, looks like a great build! Looking forward to watching. Videos are great!

I'm running the Klipsch U2 system with one of the DTS10's from Danley in a 4700cf space! You are going to be very, very pleased!

Not sure about mixing the Shiva subs with the Danley...the horn design creates a 9ms delay that might cause issue with other subs. Unless you have the processing power to accomodate the differences. Also, with only one DTS-10, I can assure you that two in your space will do the job.

I went to Danley and have auditioned all of there mains and can safely say that I have upgraditus.

Best of luck!

The delay will be accounted for in dsp and the extra subs are not for output but for even bass response.
My room is ~6000cf
Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Very nice! You will be very pleased.

Vids are a great and a neat way to see the progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Really great idea to document the progress with the videos! Hope to see more as it's coming along.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

unfortunately I can only video the daily progress after i get home from the hospital, usually around/after 7p.

I would love to have been able to to it in smaller increments. For example the stage and riser were basically done in one day so I didnt really get to film the interior build of them (stage is sand filled and riser is insulated for a bass trap)

But it is neat to go back an look at the first videos I sent dennis to show him the room and document dimensions for his initial design/blueprints

Hopefully they will resume work end of this week and I will start taking more vids. THey will get several days of work b/t videos next week b/c my wife and I are visiting relative out of town and they are gonna continue work.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

HT Build 5
Here is the last video I have until they come back
Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Our guys have been busy with all the millwork, staining, finishing and fabric work.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Cool stuff. I love it when we get to see a DE build go up.

Why were the walls done with clips? I would have imagined that they could have been decoupled with the framing?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

The rest of the basement was already finished and the walls you see are the "backside" of them. One of the walls is against the exterior.
Rather than doing another "shell" of framing for a room within a room we saved room width and went with clips/channel. It is just wide enough as is to do 5 seats across (and my seats are narrower than some) so losing another 8-10 inches would either sacrifice a seat or make the aisles too narrow.
We certainly had ceiling height to spare.

Maybe Dennis will chime in on why it was preferable to go clips/channel vs framing in another shell.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Generally space conservation is the reason for clips vs. a second framed wall. Staggered stud walls are connected to the original framing, so while acoustically "decoupled," they are also connected to the joists, and can conduct. Clips remove that possibility.

Ted

Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Loving the videos, they provide a nice alternate perspective to photos. Can't wait to see the next update!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Thanks for chiming in Doc & Ted. Makes sense. I did ceiling clips on my last build, and was thinking of double walls for my tiny next build. I might reconsider and look again at clips.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking at some data that may suggest the naturally higher flex associated with drywall on clips & channel allows for greater damping (IF using a damping compound) than if mounted on less flexible (although decoupled) double stud wall.

More flex allows for more damping to occur.

Ted

Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm looking at some data that may suggest the naturally higher flex associated with drywall on clips & channel allows for greater damping (IF using a damping compound) than if mounted on less flexible (although decoupled) double stud wall.

More flex allows for more damping to occur.

We used a damping compound (green glue) b/t layers of 5/8" drywall
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

We used a damping compound (green glue) b/t layers of 5/8" drywall

More flex with clips on the wall may mean more damping than (stiffer) decoupled framing alone could accomodate. Certainly less space.

Ted

Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Loving the videos and the build looks great. I am further ahead now but I think you'll quickly bypass me as I have lost my helper in the build.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure