Acoustic Treatment Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-23-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some advice for inexpensive temporary acoustic treatments for my new HT. It's an echo chamber in there! Temporary because I will be moving in a year or two.

As you can see in attached pictures, room is painted a neutral gray with a flat black ceiling. I drew in where the proj and rear surrounds will go and you can see the mains, center and front surrounds. Speakers are all Klipsch Synergy III and sub (location TBD) is an MFW-15.

Dimensions are 19' long by 13' wide (13'7" where the alcove is).

Thick carpet with a 1/2-inch pad is going in tomorrow. Ceiling and walls are 1/2-inch drywall. There are no windows and the room is pretty much airtight except for an HVAC vent above the door from the ducting that is contained in the soffit. The ceiling is about 8 ft except under the soffit where it is about 7 ft. All equipment will go in the alcove you can see to the left of the door and I plan to cover it with a heavy, light-blocking curtain. Door is solid core and weatherstripped. I was planning on lining the back wall (under the soffit) with DVD shelves but I'm not sure if it is a good idea acoustically.

Yes, that is a post you can see right in front of the left surround speaker...it is a disguised structural support pole and a necessary compromise due to this being part of a remodeled basement. I'm thinking impact should be minimal as the two rows of seating will both be in front of the post/soffit

I don't have a specific budget for acoustics but, being a temporary setup, I'd say not more than $1000 and less is better

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post

I don't have a specific budget for acoustics but, being a temporary setup, I'd say not more than $1000 and less is better

For that budget in a room that size, you'll do best to DIY your own treatments. Here's the quick overview:

Acoustic Basics

And this goes into much more detail:

Acoustics FAQ

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page