The Wiltshire Construction thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 121 Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This will mostly be a DIY effort I will be doing the majority or the work myself . A few things (HVAC, Carpet,) will be done by Subs.

Just moved into our new home, It is a new construction (which I didn't build!) It has an unfinished basement, with a roughed in Bathroom. Over the next Months (should read years!) I will be tackling the following projects (listed in order):

-Frame entire basement
-Finishing Theatre
-Finishing Bathroom
-Finish Rest of Space

Equipment/Plans I will use

Can lighting
DIY Equipment AV closet
120" 16:9 Vapex Screen
Epson 8350 PJ
7.1 wiring
MTF....

Just want everyone to know that I'm not a Carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, and Im posting this tread to hopefully get some really helpful tips and suggestions...So please feel free to ask questions and point things out that I'm probably overlooking

I Don't have a set budget per say because I plan on this project to take a long time, however just for reference I am in the Army, Make way less than most of you guys, and drive a 10 year-old pickup.

The size of the Home Theater is still up for debate, hoping to go as small as I can but still use a Projector, and screen... Will Only be Me, Wife and Son in the theater but would like to have a little room for guests if I ever happen to have any..Ha-ha...open for suggestions.

***EDIT JULY 2010*** (replaced raw plans, with the final floor plan i am using)

Raw Basement Layout

Before the clean out,,,

jeremy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Louisville Kentucky Services

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJC View Post

I will post up some pics of the Basement tomorrow, as well as a sketch of my current floor plans

Many of us won't sleep tonight knowing that there will soon be blood in the water and a feeding frenzy of advice.

Not sure why the equipment rack is so high on the list of priorities but we will see tomorrow.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #3 of 121 Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Good point,

Not sure really either..I guess really need to identify the area more than anything.

post #4 of 121 Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Uploaded my Floor plan as it is right now, Not sure where the Theater should be placed...Any suggestions.

Keep in mind I will be finishing a bedroom, and hopefully try to create a shared space that is for my son's play area.

Jeremy

post #5 of 121 Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Still trying to nail down my floor plan. Currently I have my theatre in the space to the right of the furnace with the entrance right next to the staircase....and the bedroom in the back left....

any idea's?

Here's my latest Idea, not 100% though, anyone got any tips of what I could do differently, or what Im totally missing?

post #6 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Meeting with my Dad today to talk shop, as he'll be a big part in this build mainly due to him working with electrical his whole life, and haven built several structures (also becuse he has a wood planer...and table saw!!. After that I'm headed to HD to pick up a load of lumber to start framing this weekend.

Two Questions,

I see alot of guys lay down a Sub floor, is there any reasoning for doing it? I only have 8' ceilings so height could be a factor, expecially for my HT where I want to decouple the ceiling.

I only plan on doing a drywall ceiling for my HT, and then using Drop for the rest of the basement, is that what most people do? Suggestions are appreciated.

post #7 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
What is Drop for the rest of the basement?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #8 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, What i mean is a drop ceiling with acoustical tile.

post #9 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I read your post too quickly the first time. You were very clear

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #10 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I see a lot of wasted space in your plan dedicated to hallways. Specifically between the theater and the furnace room and between the bedroom and the furnace room.

I wouldn't start framing until you have a finalized plan.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #11 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I agree with Big ... the space planning could use a bunch of work. Hold off on the framing until you've experimented more with space use and traffic flow ... and, why would I want to walk out of the bedroom into the back of the bar on the way to the bath room.

Oh, I know ... to take a nip at the stuff in the bottles.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #12 of 121 Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, your right about the use of space. That's kinda what I was thinking about the hallway's. You guys have alot more expierence visualizing actual space compared to plans, could you offer any suggestions?

The furnace in the center kind of creates that dual hallway, maybe loose the hall between the furnace and HT and expand the HT width?

post #13 of 121 Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It is not that tough to move the furnance/water heater. Worth finding out.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #14 of 121 Old 03-27-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, however I don't plan on undertaking that unless it causes a huge problem, I'm comfortable leaving it there. To me not worth the cost to move it.

post #15 of 121 Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM

Liked: 10
Looks like you have some nice options with the amount of space you have. If your adding a bedroom you will most likely need an "egress" window, 3'x5' +/- as the second way out in case of fire. You may want to verify this with the local building dept. if your getting permits or a builder, friend, online regulations (building code for your town or state), etc, just to be safe.
post #16 of 121 Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Good catch on the bedroom, but for all intensive purpose's it's offically just a room, (non sleeping) and will most likely be an office. Thereby not needing the egres window.

Now if I could just figure out this floor plan, I could get to work.

post #17 of 121 Old 03-27-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think were gonna just gonna take the bedroom off the plan. Just open the rest up. So only framing in the ht with xtra width(removing the hallway). And working in layout for the Ht and bar in the rear.

Because my ceilings are only 8' I'm leaning towards only 1 row of 4 seating and bar in the back.

Thoughts?

post #18 of 121 Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Chief - first of all, thank you for your service to our country - from a USAF Vet.

It's hard to tell from the pics and your plan, but it looks like you are cutting your HT short on width and perhaps length. You have a pretty good area to work with, maybe post some more pics so we can see everything, and I'm sure you'll get some better ideas.

Big is likely scratching on a napkin and will have some good options for you soon...

Definitely hold off on the framing until you finalize the plan. You also need to preplan your HT HVAC, electrical circuits and isolation effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #19 of 121 Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Schmidt, thanks and back at you! Been cleaning and organizing my basement all weekend, I'll post up some better pics of the space tonight. As far as size I'm hoping to fit in a front row of atleast 2 hopefully 3 berk's.and a back row/counter of 3.

With 8' ceilings(unfinished ) I don't think a riser would work out.

post #20 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Had my HVAC guy in this Morning to look at the space and quote me the install of additional Supply and returns for my HT, bathroom, and Office area.

I was plesently suprised that my current HVAC system can support the additions, and the Cost for the additional Runs is very affordable so I'll be Hiring him for that instead of a DIY effort.

Next up is the electrican, I currently only have 1 spare breaker in my box, and only 1 breaker is dedicated to the basement, So im thinking I need to add a subpanel or something to be able to support the additional circuits I'll be running.

Any suggestions on dedicated circuits typically needed for a HT?

Thanks

post #21 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Chief - My ceiling will be 7'7" after suspended joists and subfloor, and I plan to put in a 13" riser. Check your local code, but with 8' you have plenty of room to add a riser. Many guys have added risers with much less.

You will need a subpanel. I have a total of 4 circuits to the HT - 2 - 20A for equip, 1 20A for Grafik Eye, and 1 15A for outlets. You can get by with less, but either way you'll need a subpanel, and you'll need 1 slot in your main panel to feed your subpanel. Electricians love to work for cash (at a cheaper than normal rate). Ask around for a referral.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #22 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJC View Post

Thanks guys, your right about the use of space. That's kinda what I was thinking about the hallway's. You guys have alot more expierence visualizing actual space compared to plans, could you offer any suggestions?

The furnace in the center kind of creates that dual hallway, maybe loose the hall between the furnace and HT and expand the HT width?

You can move the AV closet to the back of your mechanical room and turn it 90 degree so your AV closet opens into the theater room at the back left corner, and then, you can widen your theater room to eliminate the hallway and your original AV closet location could be the entrance door to the theater. I can't see the width of the theater room, but I guess somewhere around 12' so if you eliminate the hallway, you will increase additional 2~3' in width. If the back side does not have enough space to accommodate the AV closet, you probably can do couple of things, 1, shorten the mechanical room, or 2, relocate your water heater to the side of your furnace and then you may have enough space for you to turn AV closet 90 degree and move next to the front wall of the mechanical room and still you have a space for theater room door on the side.

post #23 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thats what I was thinking about the Electrical panel, and thanks for giving me your HT power req's.

Code for me is a minimum of 7' ceilings for 60% of the room and no lower than 6'7'' for the remainder. So it might be "possible" Ill have to look at the numbers and see what I can do.

Thinking outloud...

My space is probobly only going to be 20'-21' long after framing and DD, so I'm planning 1st row eyes to be at 12ft when partially reclined in Berk 099's, and 2nd row eyes at between 17/18 ft. So that's only about 6 to7' of the space below 7', so a riser should be okay. If my ceiling is 8' minus 3" poured floor it's rougly 7'9" subtract an inch for floor barrier and carpet I'm at 7'8"...so my max size riser could be 13' but that would leave a 6'7"celing above the riser....Seems pretty low but a possiblity I guess.

Thanks again

post #24 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post

You can move the AV closet to the back of your mechanical room and turn it 90 degree so your AV closet opens into the theater room at the back left corner, and then, you can widen your theater room to eliminate the hallway and your original AV closet location could be the entrance door to the theater. I can't see the width of the theater room, but I guess somewhere around 12' so if you eliminate the hallway, you will increase additional 2~3' in width. If the back side does not have enough space to accommodate the AV closet, you probably can do couple of things, 1, shorten the mechanical room, or 2, relocate your water heater to the side of your furnace and then you may have enough space for you to turn AV closet 90 degree and move next to the front wall of the mechanical room and still you have a space for theater room door on the side.

Great idea about the AV closet, as that's almost exactly what we were thinking about the mechanical room. I'm working on some new plans tonight that actually have the HT and the Mechanical room sharing a wall (staggered Stud) and incorporating the AV closet to either next to the furnace area or actually behind my staircase eating up some of that storage space.

Again thanks for the input, glad someone else besides me came to that conclusion as well...starting to go crazy starring at these design plans....

post #25 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my latest Floor Plan, Removed the Hallway, expanded the HT width and added a AV Rack in HT entry room, included a back Row of seating on a 11-13" riser(still working up the numbers based on the 099's.

post #26 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Much improved!

Now the things I see are the awkward opening and entrance to the theater at the bottom of the stairs, I would experiment with putting it around the corner and moving the media storage. You could have a floor to ceiling bookshelf on the wall against the stairs. The door should also open in.

That is a huge bathroom and you could probably utilize some of the space to create a closet or built in storage.

I wouldn't make the furnace room any bigger than it absolutely needs to be, You might get another foot or two of room width in the fitness area.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #27 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big, I'm gonna go take a closer look at just how much clearence my WH and Furnace need. So your saying just move the door around to where the media storage is, and move the storage to the back wall, or are you saying bring in the wall to do away with the corner coming down the stairs?

Thanks again.

What is the size and configuration(full/half) of a typical basement bathroom?

post #28 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

I second to BIG, the theater door is kind awkward, consider to put door on side align with either long side of the wall or outside wall of the AV closet. I would also not put a closet there, you can put the ceiling to wall bookshelf there instead and then your fitness area seems more open. Another option of the door location and AV closet, you can move the AV closet against the stair, and turn it 90 degree facing into back corner of the theater, then you would have even more opening space there and have a better door location and the added benefit is that you can have a full width riser to put 4 seats in the back row and don't need to worry about the theater door bumps the riser. AV closet next to the stair may also help to utilize the space under the stair for wiring since it is closer to your service panel.

One other area is the screen wall, you might be able to increase 2' in length so that would give you 21' total length which will allow you to have 6.5' long riser for fully reclined seats in the back row.

Your bath in the plan seems little big than it needs to be, maybe you can frame a small closet inside the bathroom to replace the closet outside the theater room. Mechanical room could also be smaller as long as you have 3' of clearance to move the equipment out and provide that you either leave two vent openings (one lower one upper) on the wall (1000BTU per sq inch), or use louver door. Overall, it is much better design, I see you use Visio, so try few different layout see which one works better.

post #29 of 121 Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Another idea (Not Shown) for the equipment stack is to rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise and make that small closet really the back of the equipment stack. Then the rack doesn't have to pull out. Put a real door on the rear access.

I also like the idea of swapping the AV for the entrance. Then you can build the rear riser wall to wall.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #30 of 121 Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome Guys, Thanks for the re-write Big, that makes perfect sense. Here are 3 Designs I did moving the AV around and playing with the riser and entrance please let me know what you think, or which you prefer.
Thanks again...

Also the Wife if starting to catch on to the "finish the Basement" actually means "Install Home Theater" as the design plans change from day to day...HA

Design1

Design2

Design3

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page