Theater Build and 1880's Full Reno - Before and After - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1030 Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Nice speakers, but a 9 hour drive Now that is what I call dedication to the cause...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1030 Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Nice speakers, but a 9 hour drive Now that is what I call dedication to the cause...

I know, but its worth it. Im not getting new speakers anytime soon, maybe never, and the Studio II series is hard to come across, especially in the black and silver. I've been checking ebay on and off for the last 3 years, and the S312II's rarely come up, plus when they do they are always pickup only...and usually they are even further away. They last forever and sound great for their price range (they sound great even out of their price range) so people arent usually down with giving them up. They were cheap enough new most people will just keep them for a second set or hand them down to kids or something if they do upgrade.

These will finally fill the void in my system I've had since day 1.
It would be better of these were 4-way rather than 3, but this series has always been much more geared towards crystal clear high end and punchy clean base, which is suited exactly towards my tastes. I'm not very sensitive to speakers that aren't real great in the midrange.

I got a killer deal on them as well, i figure even with gas, its less than 150 a piece.

Currently Playing: Overwatch/WoW - Legion
post #93 of 1030 Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Plus hotel or whatever other expenses you incur on the trip. Nine hours one way sounds like there could be a stay-over in there somewhere.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #94 of 1030 Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Plus hotel or whatever other expenses you incur on the trip. Nine hours one way sounds like there could be a stay-over in there somewhere.

I could make it round trip, which what i was planning on initially. (was going to get my bro in law to come along and we'd switch off driving.)

But since then my wife said she wanted to go along and we'd just make a weekend trip of it. I guess Omaha has a pretty nice zoo. (my wife loves animals) So we are going to go visit the Zoo while we are in town. Even with the cost of a hotel, and whatever else we do, ask anyone who owns the Studio II's and they'll vouch its worth the cost and time.

post #95 of 1030 Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Then, go for it. In the end, it can be better to get what you truly want (finances willing) rather than something else for the sake of convenience or to save a few dollars. Perhaps especially so since you'll be living with these speakers for a while, well after thinking about what you paid or the trouble it took to go get them.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #96 of 1030 Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys, little update here.

I just finished installing the granite tile countertop and backsplash. It still needs to be grouted. Its not perfect...and like all my projects, if i did it again i would do several things differently. But overall im pretty pleased with it, and at about 15 bucks a square foot total cost...Im pretty happy ive got granite countertops.

doors and drawers are mounted and i finally picked out the hardware...I couldnt be happier about the hardware, its perfect.

the upper cabinets are still being built.

now for the pics

The HT is comin along nicely as well...but mostly just mudding and sanding...ill spare you all the boredom...

Hopefully I'll be painting in there this weekend, if thats the case ill be sure to post come pics of the color scheme.
LL
LL
LL

post #97 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Matthew,

That granite tile looks GREAT!
What is your plan for grouting?

I have also heard somewhere that a very thin bead of black RTV sealant is a possibility?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #98 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like it. Looks great, don't worry about the little things, your likely the only one who will notice.
post #99 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Matthew,

That granite tile looks GREAT!
What is your plan for grouting?

I have also heard somewhere that a very thin bead of black RTV sealant is a possibility?

I've not done a ton a research on other options, but im sure that would work. What I'm using is just a midnight black unsanded grout with a stain resistant additive, and then seal it. I've seen unsanded grout in applications like this before and it looked really good with the 1/16 grout lines...it really looks more like caulk than grout, and its really easy to put in. Ill post some close ups once its in.

post #100 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I like it. Looks great, don't worry about the little things, your likely the only one who will notice.

thats what everyone else tells me too.

post #101 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

I've not done a ton a research on other options, but im sure that would work. What I'm using is just a midnight black unsanded grout with a stain resistant additive, and then seal it. I've seen unsanded grout in applications like this before and it looked really good with the 1/16 grout lines...it really looks more like caulk than grout, and its really easy to put in. Ill post some close ups once its in.

Just make sure the additive doesn't contain mold inhibitors since that is a food preparation surface.

That looks Great! 1/6inch grout lines with smooth unsanded black grout and tiles...great job!

Make sure to seal the tiles prior to grouting them to keep the tiles looking their best.

Get some sealer that also has some polisher to it...it will make it look glossy beautiful!

John
post #102 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Just make sure the additive doesn't contain mold inhibitors since that is a food preparation surface.

That looks Great! 1/6inch grout lines with smooth unsanded black grout and tiles...great job!

Make sure to seal the tiles prior to grouting them to keep the tiles looking their best.

Get some sealer that also has some polisher to it...it will make it look glossy beautiful!

I had not thought about that, I will check to make sure it doesnt have mold inhibitors...it very well may have.

If it does, ill just leave that out. Im not terribly worried about it staining anyway tiny black unsanded grout lines with sealer on them...shouldnt be a problem.

post #103 of 1030 Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've decided im painting in the HT this weekend even if it kills me! mostly because im anxious to get all the lights up and hook up my GE.

post #104 of 1030 Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Back to theater questions, Ive got a soffit built around the room at about 9'4" H and 16'W the bottom of that will be painted a dark grey so im not concerned with that but the middle section of the ceiling is at 10' Im planning on painting the ceiling this color

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/vis...tml#d=f;c=2959

For now i just have a 42" plasma going in there so im not really worried about ceiling being lighter, but just wondering if you all think it would be a problem once the projector goes in?

From what i understand the problem with lighter ceilings is that when you get a bright scene it reflects all that light back into the room bringing the ambient lighting up...So even though that color is still "light" its a far cry to bright white, and its 10 foot up...Just looking for some opinions.

BTW
The reason for not going dark on all the ceilings is that this room is on the main floor of the house and will be used for everyday living room type traffic, so Im trying to find a balance between a pitch black man cave and something that still can seem like a semi natural extension of the rest of the downstairs.

post #105 of 1030 Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It hasn't been discussed on here for a while but, do a search for "Milano Blue". It should turn up quite a few hits of folks who used this color for their ceiling. It is an attractive light blue color which darkens nicely with the lights off.
post #106 of 1030 Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You don't have to do a black ceiling, but a dark ceiling is recommended. As above, Milano Blue seems to be a favorite on here. In my honest opinion, just about any darkish color will work just fine as long as it is flat (not even matte). You want to minimized light reflections with the flat sheen and the darker colors help improve the perceived contrast on the screen.

Some people will go with a darkly tinted version of the color they used on the walls so everything looks nice, but it is up to your personal preference.

I definitely think either Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams is the way to go for quality paints. I've extensively used Behr, Glidden, Valspar in the past, and they just don't give the consistent coverage and ease of application that Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams do. You pay more...but you get better and more coverage for each gallon of paint in my experience.

John
post #107 of 1030 Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

You don't have
I definitely think either Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams is the way to go for quality paints. I've extensively used Behr, Glidden, Valspar in the past, and they just don't give the consistent coverage and ease of application that Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams do. You pay more...but you get better and more coverage for each gallon of paint in my experience.

I totally agree, I exclusively use sherwin williams paint, have for about three years now. Everytime i paint for anyone else and its valspar or something else like that the paint slides off the walls, doesnt cover well, and just generally is a pain to paint with.

post #108 of 1030 Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the first section of the upper cabinets in, there is one more smaller section that will have glass fronts on top of whats there, and the edge trim is around the granite. i think it turned out nice. Its just the same cherry we made the cabinets out of with a small bevel cut on the side. Stove, sink, and dishwasher are in...thank god...we finally have a kitchen!

Dishwasher doesnt seem to be working properly though...all the functions work fine, but it doesnt seem to stop....we let it run for about 1.75 hours today on a normal wash cycle and finally i just hit the cancle/drain button, which worked...but still thats not normal...gonna call the sears guy tomorrow and see whats up.

I dont have a pic, but i got the HT primed and the ceiling is painted and so is crown molding, so if everything goes well tomorrow ill have the crown and the rope lighting installed. Ill def post some pics if i get that done tomorrow.
LL
LL

post #109 of 1030 Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice work on the kitchen...now get back to work on the important room in the house.

Our dishwasher runs for 2hrs..and it shows 2hrs on the display for it as well.
So 1.75 hrs would not seem out of place...to me at least.
post #110 of 1030 Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kitchen looks really nice. I agree with Goodcat mine seems to go for a little over 2 hours. I was also unsure when we first moved in as this was our 1st dishwasher but it turned out to be fine.
post #111 of 1030 Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmm, alrighty well i shut it off last night because i was going to bed and didnt want it to run all night if it didnt shut off. So ill give it another go right when i get home and see what happens.

Tonight I will get moving on the HT ceiling is painted so trim and rope lighting goes up tonight...but like i said i have to wait until thursday to get the rest of my paint for the walls.../cry Im hoping in 3 weeks i can be finished up in there.

The bulk of the work will be done in 2 but i cant move all my equipment in until the floors get refinished....which hopefully will be in the next week or so.

post #112 of 1030 Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your on a nice roll premier, keep it up. You can definately tell you have the skills to get the job done.
post #113 of 1030 Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Went ahead and snagged some pics of my trim and the painted ceiling over my lunch. Im literally almost foaming at the mouth the get this reno finished...its been so long and im getting so close to being able to sit down and just relax with a beer and some good music and movies.

So heres the start of the color scheme...the lighter color is going to be a horizontal stripe all around the room...basically like a chair rail...but just painted on instead of actually having chair rail, the darker color on bottom will go all the way around the room as well as on the crown molding. Then there is a darker still color (very dark but not black) that will go above the stripe...its not shown here because i dont have it yet...lol paint store was out of paint...go figure...

The lightest silver color also goes on the woodwork and the ceiling as well as the stripe.

You can see while not really a dark color on the ceiling...its definitely not white.

Here is the crown that is going up. I did some tests last night with the rope lighting as far as positioning it behind the crown, it was hard to see it while holding everything up, my wife said she like the lights best when they were sitting down as far as they could be away from ceiling. I seem to get less light splashing out into the room, but she said i got way better dispersion that way. She said it looked less like rope lights and more like just light coming out. So im gonna go with her judgment on that and just drop the rope lighting in behind the crown...which will be nice cause it will make for an easy change if i ever want to go with a color.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #114 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You'll have to excuse the night picture, its way over exposed...cheap camera and no tripod make for difficult night shots.

But anyway, the crown is up! Still needs to be caulked and touched up, but it's up and the lights are in. Im pretty pleased with how it turned out. I would not have been happy with the rope lights i got from Lowes if my crown weren't so big. I played around with the position of the rope lights and the closer they got to the ceiling to worse they looked...so luckily with this 7.5" crown it lays all the way at the bottom and looks nice and diffused. At first it wouldn't lay flat(it came in a tight coil) But after I left them on for a couple hours and they heated up a little bit I was able to straighten everything out.

LL
LL

post #115 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very nice

This room is coming along very nicely.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #116 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey Matthew...you're really busting some A with your progress and things are looking great

Following up on our conversation in rope lighting thread with another question for you....

Did you just nail your crown to the soffit along the bottom crown/soffit edge? I have seen others put some "triangles/wedges" behind the crown at points along the length for extra support, but that's a bit problematic in my mind as you either have to notch somehow for the rope light or sit it on top of the wedges wherever they're located. Doing either would affect the light dispersion at those points.

Hoping you say "I just nailed it plenty and it's holding up just fine"
post #117 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thats exactly what i did! Haha...I looked around at a lot of other builds with folks adding 1X material or something similar for more support, but i had tacked a piece up a long time ago (maybe around easter) just to see what it looked like, and i had a hard time ripping it off...lol. Granted this is REALLY big crown so the part i was nailing through is a full 1" thick, but with that said...its REALLY big crown so it weighs a bloody ton...so i would assume that being able to nail it up through the thick section near the bottom should scale down for smaller lighter trim.

Plus here is another thing to think about, if you have a simple rectangle with all inside corners like mine, technically speaking, all you have to do is keep the trim from falling straight down off the wall, which doesn't take much. Once its all up the inside corners create a frame and support themselves to keep the top of the crown from wanting to "fall" forward....im not sure if that make sense to anyone...

Either way, I used 2" 18awg finish nails and just put them every foot or so along the crown and im not worried about it falling down at all. I had to pull on it and tweak the corners to line up just right and i never once was like...oo this might fall. In fact i had a hard time moving it.

post #118 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks, makes perfect sense to me. I plan on just nailing away.
post #119 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Matthew,

Your crown and rope lighting turned out great > Full Speed Ahead!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #120 of 1030 Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm pushing has hard as i can. Its hard to balance finishing the rest of the house with wanting to work on the HT. But i am down to about a month to finish this thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction