post #181 of 1026 Old 05-15-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by partridgewest View Post

Great build, Matthew! Never saw someone work that fast!
I ve got to bring you on my projects!

Some ideas: FWIW, You can probably put a flat black tin ceiling in the HT room in keeping with the period, but then there'd be way too much black and gray with the wall colors.

The chair rail molding can be molded out of resin if you can find a woodworking shop and it's a standard style. They run it thru a molding cutter just the same..

The lighted ceiling looks pretty good. Did you use a rope light or lighttape? Nice and smooth, no scalloping. how'd you do it?

You may want to consider posting some of the photos in a home improvement forum / Old house forum. People eat this stuff up there as well.

keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Frank

Fast for everyone here!....not so fast for me. August will mark 2 full years of renovation. Although i have to admit...now that all the big stuff..IE electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc.etc. are finished, it does seem to be coming together pretty lightning fast.

A big part of that is we have a deadline of June 30th and the house must be done. So that always gets you motivated.

I hadnt thought of a tin ceiling that would have been a neat feature! Maybe someday down the line. Right now everything is a compromise between speed and quality. So far I've been walking that line pretty well. If i had infinite time and more money i certainly would have done a few things differently. But overall im happy with how things are turning out.

The chair rail is all but done... just needs to be filled in a little more in a couple spots and painted up. I think it turned out (or rather will turn out quit nicely)

As far as the rope lighting goes, its the cheap incandescent rope lighting from lowes...lol...To be honest, i just got lucky with out good it turned out. I think the trick was that my crown molding is huge and the backside of it is primed white.

So the combination of the lighter colored backside and the fact that the rope lighting is all the way down in the V that the crown makes with the wall helps with the even dispersion.

When I initially put it in there it wanted to curl up and around everywhich way, because of the way it was packaged. A 48' run coiled around in about a 5" coil. And everyplace it curled up towards to ceiling it looked like crap.

But i left them on for some time and came back and move it around after it had a chance to heat up and become a little more plyable and shoved it down in the V.
LL

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1026 Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welp the theater build is officially on hold for another week or two. i think I've pretty much finished up all the major "part of the rest of the house" type stuff in that room. Everything that is left in there is now strictly related to HT. Things like building the rack, mounting speakers, mounting the TV etc...And I've got several projects i want to finish up else where in the house first...Like building my bench seats in the living room, and the really big one...refinishing the floors.

Once the floors are refinished, you can bet that the HT will be the FIRST thing I dive back into.

I know its hard to call it an HT with a 42" plasma as my main display...but hopefully just temporary until i can scrounge up the cash for a projector, BUT I'm trying to decide what the first movie to christen the HT with will be.

I'm thinking Avatar is an obvious candidate, New to blu-ray, plus several members of my family and a couple friends still haven't seen it!

What movies have the rest of you used to "christen" the theater?

Shades of Grey Theater

post #183 of 1026 Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via AIM to msmCutter Send a message via Skype™ to msmCutter
If you've got the rocking sound system I'd go with Transformers 2. It uses all 7 speakers and a LOT of LFE. That'll wow 'em!
post #184 of 1026 Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not a bad choice! I haven't bought that one yet either.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #185 of 1026 Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update.

The HT is still on hold, but i got the hard part of the framing for the bay area bench seat done this evening.

The bump outs there are chases that i built in to that end of the room. The right side set the size becuase that side as my HVAC runs for the upstairs, and i just mirrored it on the left side, even though that one only houses the plumbing for the bathroom upstairs.

As soon as i put them in i knew i had to do something with that area, it just didnt look right. Since this is the sitting room, i thought it appropriate to put in a wall to wall bench seat. I had this idea over a year ago, lol, and im just now finally getting to it.

On a side note, i had my first real close call in about 4 years of working in construction. While i was cutting the vertical studs for the bench seat, i reached in to move the 2x4 i was cutting the 13" lengths off of on my meiter saw and caught the blade as it was spinning down.

Luckily it was almost stopped and i pulled back pretty quick so it just got me a couple times and took a couple small chunks out of the meaty part of my thumb. It ended up being nothing a band aid couldnt fix, but it could have been a lot worse.

That will teach me for getting careless. Never get comfortable around power tools, you loose focus for 1 second and you could loose a lot. [/soapbox]
LL
LL
LL

Shades of Grey Theater

post #186 of 1026 Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Close call!! I've done stuff like that, you get a little less attentive when you let go of the trigger or turn off the switch but until that blade stop turning or reciprocating look out.

T2 is a great movie for the HT, I also like Terminator Salvation, IRON Man, Star Wars III, I'm a big fan of the Matrix(just never gets old for me). I'll let you know how Avatar goes in the HT after the weekend, but I'm sure it's gonna be great. I've been holding off cause I'm getting together with a couple of buddies Friday night to check it out.
post #187 of 1026 Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool, please do! I haven't even bought it yet, no real reason to yet since I dont have anything setup to watch it...lol...

Shades of Grey Theater

post #188 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So i made it back from my road trip to get my speakers! that was a long drive!

So i got my receiver out of storage and hooked them up real quick just for a test run to make sure nothing happened to them in transit, and they were fine, but i was completely underwhelmed with how they sounded, Its been a long time since I've listened to any of my stuff, but they really just sounded like generic walmart speakers or something...so my question is,

Can a worst case scenario room (ie almost square with hard surfaces on floors walls, and ceiling with no furniture, curtains, carpet, etc.) make even really nice speakers sound basically like junk?

Shades of Grey Theater

post #189 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would say yes. No treatments, furniture or anything makes for a bad experience. Before I sheetrocked my room, I did a B-Day party sleep over for my son and his buddies. I covered the insulted walls with a 100 foot roll of plastic table cover I found at I party. The funny thing was that the room sounded great. All the insulation was acting as room treatment.

When I sheetrocked, just making loud clapping sounds in the room hurt the ears. Hopefully you will be ok once you treat the room and you're up and running.

Checked out Avatar in the HT this past Friday with some friends. Man it was great great, the sound and imagery is simply incredible. It would be a great 1st run to christen your room with.
post #190 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I figured as much, hopefully once i get a carpet and curtains and furniture and some other room treatments, itll be much better.

I think im gonna have to do avatar as the first movie, just makes too much sense.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #191 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

So i made it back from my road trip to get my speakers! that was a long drive!

So i got my receiver out of storage and hooked them up real quick just for a test run to make sure nothing happened to them in transit, and they were fine, but i was completely underwhelmed with how they sounded, Its been a long time since I've listened to any of my stuff, but they really just sounded like generic walmart speakers or something...so my question is,

Can a worst case scenario room (ie almost square with hard surfaces on floors walls, and ceiling with no furniture, curtains, carpet, etc.) make even really nice speakers sound basically like junk?

Also, the receiver's been in storage. Components often can sound a bit off when cold. How long did you listen? Did the sound change any during that time?

Still, some room treatment should help for the long haul. Too many reflective services aren't good.
post #192 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was only for a few minutes before work this morning. I didnt get back till midnight last night. I think ill lug them upstairs and do a temporary setup in the bedroom to give them a good test.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #193 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Just stumbled across this build and have to say its Majorly Impressive. As I am still in an apartment my options are limited but someday I hope to have a dedicated Home Theater. Thankfully this is one thing the future wife has agreed to so that makes things easier.

Its a privilege to live in the same state as this build

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #194 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

EndersShadow,

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words. Its been a long road, (about 2 years) but we are finally getting toward the end of it all. I can't wait to get it all finished up and post pictures of the whole place all cleaned up.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #195 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EndersShadow,

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words. Its been a long road, (about 2 years) but we are finally getting toward the end of it all. I can't wait to get it all finished up and post pictures of the whole place all cleaned up.

Yeah, I can only imagine the overall "fun" the build has been. I honestly can say I am very impressed with your focus on what actually matters more than the Home Theater. While I am sure its fun to work on, creating liveable space is much more important. It appears you have found a very good balance.

I also appreciated you sharing about rescuing dogs. I myself have a Welsh Corgi named Fox (which I was bad and purchased from a pet store) and a Terrier Mix (we think) named Chewey which we purchased from a rescue. Both my fiancee and I have discussed becoming involved with a rescue organization once we have a house and hopefully being able to take in dogs as needed.

I myself am moving next weekend to a townhome apartment from my 1 bed 1 bath and am looking forward to taking pics of the upgrade. I finally will be able to get my Home Theater setup how I want it and hopefully create the awesome sound I have been waiting for. While I cant run wires through the wall like you can I cant wait to share the progress we are going to make.

The plan is to paint the whole downstairs on Friday. Then on Saturday I will have all my gear moved in and setup and hopefully run speakerwire and color matched conduit for the speaker wire on Sunday. I also have to install the wall mounts for my Polk Monitor 40's. I just hope I can get them to work as I am unsure if they will be above head height.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to perusing additional pictures of your progress!

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #196 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I cant wait to see the pics!

Its not as hard as you'd think to balance the "fun" with the "work"...MOSTLY because i cant do anything further in the home theater until the floors are refinished...and the floors cant be refinished until most of the other projects in the house are finished...So it just so happens, that my HT goals require finishing 95% of the rest of the house. So it works out well that way!

Speaking of refinishing floors! Now that my trip to Omaha for my Mains is over, this weekend i am going to refinish the floors! THE last big step in being able to really move forward with the HT, and actually start moving furniture in downstairs as well!

I cant wait!

Shades of Grey Theater

post #197 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

On a side note, i had my first real close call in about 4 years of working in construction. While i was cutting the vertical studs for the bench seat, i reached in to move the 2x4 i was cutting the 13" lengths off of on my meiter saw and caught the blade as it was spinning down.

Luckily it was almost stopped and i pulled back pretty quick so it just got me a couple times and took a couple small chunks out of the meaty part of my thumb. It ended up being nothing a band aid couldnt fix, but it could have been a lot worse.

That will teach me for getting careless. Never get comfortable around power tools, you loose focus for 1 second and you could loose a lot. [/soapbox]

There is a big gouge in the wall of my work shop I won't fix as a reminder to not do stupid things. I had a round plastic fitting that I was trying to cut freehand with the fence in place kick back a chew up my thumb a little and then zing past my head and take a nice chunk out of the wall. I was lucky it only took 8 stitches to patch up. Now anytime I think about doing something stupid I look at the scar on my thumb and the gouge on the wall.....
post #198 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

There is a big gouge in the wall of my work shop I won't fix as a reminder to not do stupid things. I had a round plastic fitting that I was trying to cut freehand with the fence in place kick back a chew up my thumb a little and then zing past my head and take a nice chunk out of the wall. I was lucky it only took 8 stitches to patch up. Now anytime I think about doing something stupid I look at the scar on my thumb and the gouge on the wall.....

Haha, OUCH! Well i dont have anything permanent to remind me...but i really do try to be careful most of the time. I play guitar, so usually when im doing stuff like that, its always in the back of my mind to be careful because if i lose a finger...playing will never be the same...but...Still, stupid things happen.

My dad has a similar story where he was trying to cut something really small on compound miter saw and the saw blade grabbed and slapped the piece of wood against the fence with his finger in the way, he said it split the skin open to the bone and that hes pretty sure it was broken.

I can tell my dad is from a different generation than i am....if im "pretty sure" something is broken...I think id go to the hospital and check...lol.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #199 of 1026 Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so after listening to my speakers in room today, i realized that im going to need to do something about the acoustics in that room.

The front wall is taken care of already. There are two small windows flanking the fireplace, and i plan to "frame" the fireplace out with floor to ceiling stage curtains to block out the light and for decoration. So that should take care of absorption for the front wall.

And the hardwood floors are going to get some sort of large area rug, probably shag, so that should take care of the floor for the most part.

One wall has two windows and a door, that will all be receiving blackout curtains, spaced evenly across the whole wall, so i guess that should actually help quite a bit too....

Im assuming the ceiling can really have anything done to it...so i guess now that ive thought all of this out loud....once the room is finished...all that will really be left without any sort of treatment, will be 1 side wall and the rear wall.

Should those be treated in some way? or since i wont have any parallel walls without any sort of treatment on 1 side, i should be OK? Or is it impossible to tell without actually testing.

Any suggestions for cheap/easy/attractive/DIY solutions for my room?

Shades of Grey Theater

post #200 of 1026 Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Matt, Things are absolutely coming together for you and your build. I am impressed with the work you have taken on, you should be proud. I may have missed it but what part of the Hoosier state are you located?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #201 of 1026 Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Matt, Things are absolutely coming together for you and your build. I am impressed with the work you have taken on, you should be proud. I may have missed it but what part of the Hoosier state are you located?

I think I saw something about 2 hrs North of Indy and 45 mins south of South Bend

My Setup

Quote:

post #202 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

I think I saw something about 2 hrs North of Indy and 45 mins south of South Bend

Thats right on. Its one of those typical tiny Indiana towns. 1 stoplight, 2 gas stations, and a whole lot of corn.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #203 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats right on. Its one of those typical tiny Indiana towns. 1 stoplight, 2 gas stations, and a whole lot of corn.

In keeping with the Hoosier stereotype you forgot to add the "Massive Gym for our High School basketball team" . I can say that because I am a Hoosier myself lol.....

My Setup

Quote:

post #204 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

In keeping with the Hoosier stereotype you forgot to add the "Massive Gym for our High School basketball team" . I can say that because I am a Hoosier myself lol.....

HAHAHA! You nailed it. Its funny that you say that, its a 1A school, and at the time when the High School was built, it was one of the largest in the state. I think the gymnasium seats 2000 people legally, and the towns population is like 1800....We do pull people in from two other townships, but still...

Shades of Grey Theater

post #205 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HAHAHA! You nailed it. Its funny that you say that, its a 1A school, and at the time when the High School was built, it was one of the largest in the state. I think the gymnasium seats 2000 people legally, and the towns population is like 1800....We do pull people in from two other townships, but still...

Yeah, I went to a 4A school so I can relate. Our student body (3000+) was more than your towns population. Not only did we have a Massive main gym (was two courts wide for tournaments), but we had another side gym that was almost as big (two courts wide as well, but not as much bleacher room).

To add to that we had a freaking Olympic size swimming facility lol.....

Suddenly I realize why my County taxes are so high lol.....

And now back on topic

My Setup

Quote:

post #206 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Id like to take some pictures of my new JBL's but i cant find the camera....!! I suspect my wife is behind that one...

BTW I moved them upstairs in the bedroom to test them out and they sounded MUCH better up there. I think my denon receiver is a little underpowered for what the speakers could handle...but they still sound great.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #207 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Id like to take some pictures of my new JBL's but i cant find the camera....!! I suspect my wife is behind that one...

BTW I moved them upstairs in the bedroom to test them out and they sounded MUCH better up there. I think my denon receiver is a little underpowered for what the speakers could handle...but they still sound great.

What Denon did you have them powered with and what did you have upstairs?

My Setup

Quote:

post #208 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just brought home JBL S312II's this last sunday to use as mains, so i could upgrade to 7.1 for the new theater.

I originally tested them downstairs in the incomplete theater and they sounded like crap, but im sure it was because the room is essentially empty with hard surfaces everywhere.

So i took them upstairs and hooked them up in the bedroom and they sound much more like i remembered.

My receiver is an older denon AVR-1803. Its got 6 separate amps all rated at 80w. I think the power handling on the S312II's is somewhere around 250w. Even when i was just pushing the S38II's i felt like they were a little under powered. I'm not going to worry about that for now though, eventually I'll upgrade to something with more power and newer processing capabilities.

The 1803 doesn't do any of the new HD audio tracks or true 7.1, it came out right when 6.1 was introduced, and that lasted like...20 min and everything turned to 7.1. But the way its setup i can power 2 speakers with the 6th channel, so I'm setting everything up for 7.1 for future upgrades.

Im really not even sure if I'd be able to tell the difference in my room and with my equipment between 6.1 with two surround backs placed in 7.1 positions, and true 7.1.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #209 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok what towns are we talkin here fellow Hoosiers? I am just east of South Bend

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #210 of 1026 Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm in Bourbon. Small town on Old 30 between Plymouth and Warsaw.

Shades of Grey Theater

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page