Green Glue Pails Easy To Apply Without Applicator? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Tell you what. You PM me your address and I'll send you one N/C.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Ted: Thanks so much. I appreciate the follow up. While this thread does say troweling isn't ideal, it's always suggested that the reason is because of viscosity, which is why I posted my response/questions in the first place. Viscosity is not an issue at the lower temperature I am currently experiencing. The trowel used in the photo posted in the other forum shows that the "bead" left is exactly the same as the 3/8" bead from a caulk applicator. I'm only putting up around 20 sheets of drywall, so was hoping to avoid purchasing an applicator that will only be used once and then never again if I could apply with a trowel. I have since had someone contact me with the applicator they used, and will be purchasing that one. I still think it's worthwhile to explore the possibility of the advantages of a trowel at lower temperatures unless the "compression factor" of Green Glue at a lower temp is absolutely a prohibitive factor (which I could totally understand --and going over this thread again it would appear that "compression factor" is indeed an issue that was explored by you guys in R&D for several months for the new formula).

FYI: The Green Glue was shipped from a company called TrademarkSound. There were no instructions except what is listed on the bucket. This still wouldn't have answered my question though, as in my experience there is always more way to skin a cat, and my specific question involved lower temperatures, which I had not seen addressed in any technical or install literature anywhere else (and as mentioned, I had been pretty thorough with my research).

@Spaceman: I knew who Ted was from other forums and from checking around this forum for answers before posting. None of my specific questions had been answered in the other posts regarding Green Glue, thus I thought it appropriate to pose my questions regarding use of the trowel at a lower viscosity/temp. Thanks for the heads up though, and thanks for the welcome.

@BIGmouthinDC: I did end up purchasing a gun from someone else on this forum who had one lying around after only a day's worth of application (part of what I was trying to avoid). Once this studio is complete, I doubt I'll ever have a use for Green Glue (or the applicator) again. I hadn't seen any contraindications regarding any above freezing temps in the installation literature or testing literature, so it didn't seem like a problem to install the Green Glue at a slightly cooler temperature (which makes using a trowel quite feasible). Ted's suggestion that the compression will be negatively impacted is the first evidence I've seen that it wouldn't be a good idea to install Green Glue at lower temps. I will just bring the temperature of the studio up to "room temperature" for applying and curing the Green Glue (the studio is ridiculously tight, so bringing the temperature up shouldn't be an issue).

Thanks all for your welcomes, suggestions, and help!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Tell you what. You PM me your address and I'll send you one N/C.

Wait... really?! That would be fantastic! I'd even be happy to send it back when finished.

You rock. Thanks so much.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Once you "experience" Green Glue, you'll understand why I'd prefer you keep it...

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Hmmm. That sounds ominous.

smile.gif

Thanks again, Ted.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Always amazes me the lengths people will go to to optimize the costs of .0001% of a project smile.gif
LeBon and roccoleach like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Heck, try some of the smaller suppliers and see if you can get a better deal than buying from Amazon. I used Bryan Pape's company SensibleScoundSolutions.com to source my GG. If memory serves, Bryan gave me a discount, but I can't recall. Try Ted's company too. I'd highly recommend th e applicator as well. I helped someone who tried to cheap out and not buy the applicator. It was a HUGE mess. I used tubes, and the mess was very manageable, so I would suppose that the applicator would make application much easier.

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater