Another 1080p Demo Disc Project - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1479 Old 09-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
scubasteve2365: The idea is to get this disc out into distribution. The forum has been talking about a HD demo for 1.5 years now. So, whatever we come up with, lets try and get it out soon before clips get old, etc. Few different 1080p/HDaudio threads, but no disc yet. Your work is appreciated and we do know the hours it takes, but lets not add any un-needed time into the equation. Thanks for what you are working on, it looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1479 Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 621
The existing picture is great. Can we get this out to the distributors by the end of the week?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

scubasteve2365: The idea is to get this disc out into distribution. The forum has been talking about a HD demo for 1.5 years now. So, whatever we come up with, lets try and get it out soon before clips get old, etc. Few different 1080p/HDaudio threads, but no disc yet. Your work is appreciated and we do know the hours it takes, but lets not add any un-needed time into the equation. Thanks for what you are working on, it looks great!

I mentioned that the details regarding the menu backgrounds won't add any time to the completion. They are just assets dropped in totally separate from the menu graphics themselves.

The idea isn't to just get a disc out as soon as possible, I could've done that long ago using a poor menu and one-click software. Yeah, I want it out so that it can be enjoyed by others but it has to be done right cause this is very time consuming, much more involved than making DVD demonstration discs, so there won't be much of a desire to go back and rework the disc in the case of any errors.

The clips aren't going to get old. There are quite a few old movies on there. Bug's life, iRobot, 5th Element, Pearl Harbor. This stuff won't be old anytime soon.

It won't be out this week. I'm out of town on business then have the holiday the weekend. I can only work on it when I get the chance here and there. With the menus about done, all that is left is to author the disc, build navigation ect, but with Scenarist being very very meticulous I'm certain there are going to hurdles I currently don't know about.

Then, I have to test the disc in as many players as possible to make sure my menus and/or clips don't have any big problems.

The light at the end of the tunnel for this project is now visible but it doesn't change that the work needs to be right. Think of it as measure twice cut once.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #94 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I can test on the Oppo bluray and offer up a any picture of my space you want, except the one with the name of my space. I'd like to make it harder for the lawyers to find me.

PROJECTS:

post #95 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
This is quite possibly the only project in the entire universe that is moving slower than my build. I accept the nomination becasue I'm likely to be done by the time this disc gets out.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #96 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

This is quite possibly the only project in the entire universe that is moving slower than my build. I accept the nomination becasue I'm likely to be done by the time this disc gets out.

You must not come here often. This project has only been in the works for 4 months. The other current BluRay demo project has been in the works for 16 months and another effort was scrapped last year.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #97 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, so I got confused on which disc is which. I know I'm not the only one.

So, let me correct the record to "by the time ANY disc gets out".

I should have posted in the middle of the night like a "correction" to the Congressional Record.

Tom Logan

post #98 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

...to just get a disc out as soon as possible, I could've done that long ago...

Then why didn't you????

Just Kidding

Ignore these people that are demanding this disc now. You are doing a great job and a huge service to all of us by being meticulous and getting it right the first time out. And I agree with you, your clips won't get old, so there's no hurry.

You've been progressing nicely since the beginning and it'll get done when it gets done, simple as that.

BTW, my offer still stands for testing the disc on my machines (when it gets to that stage).
post #99 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

You must not come here often. This project has only been in the works for 4 months. The other current BluRay demo project has been in the works for 16 months and another effort was scrapped last year.

I don't know how people get confused...this project is the best one out of the 2 and the only one that's ever shown any progress at all (and it's been A LOT of progress at that!). The 16-monther is finally getting started again, but all the way from scratch!

ScubaSteve's got his stuff together
post #100 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Since you guys take nominations, I might as well nominate my theater for the background menu theater pics ! Don't know if it's worthy of being there, still... you guys decide.

Cheers.

"When I lied, no one died" Bill Clinton

post #101 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

PROJECTS:

post #102 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Logans

Happy to add mine if you get desperate

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #103 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Logans

And proud of it!

Oh, and those screws in the proscenium are mudded over now. But the linacoustic in the back has fallen down.

Tom Logan

post #104 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

While the theaters displayed on this page are certainly nice, I think I'd rather have shots on the disc that didn't include the screen (like Steve's).

post #105 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The menu probably means more to the author than to me. I'm not really going to spend much time looking at the menus. I want some really good HD demo material!

Thank you for the work on this.

Follow my build here:
post #106 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

OK, a little less screen:

PROJECTS:

post #107 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Much better big, I went through your thread looking for that shot and couldn't find it.

Now, if someone could only photoshop out Fringe.

post #108 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Since this disk will only exist on the fringe of legality isn't it appropriate? Guess I could replicate that shot with my new wider screen and projector. That would you want on the screen?

PROJECTS:

post #109 of 1479 Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mmmm, wider screen.

IMO, the screen should either have a scene from one of the clips on it or be blank, but don't go by what I think.

Might be a bit crooked, but you get the idea.

post #110 of 1479 Old 09-03-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

The menu probably means more to the author than to me. I'm not really going to spend much time looking at the menus. I want some really good HD demo material!

Thank you for the work on this.

The Menu backgrounds may not mean much to you, or anyone else, but the menu-navigation will be crucial. With the number of clips that will be going into this disc, each with different strengths and weaknesses, different users are going to have their own favorite clips of the set. Efficient navigation to these clips will prove to worthwhile.

Setting that aside...

Turns out the commerical theater picture was already used in a disc menu recently. I saw this image while browsing Engadget today.

from this article:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/p...boxee-box-and/

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #111 of 1479 Old 09-03-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

The Menu backgrounds may not mean much to you, or anyone else, but the menu-navigation will be crucial. With the number of clips that will be going into this disc, each with different strengths and weaknesses, different users are going to have their own favorite clips of the set. Efficient navigation to these clips will prove to worthwhile.

I can't argue with that. The navigation is important, the photo chosen does not matter to me. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's how I feel about it. I do appreciate the work that you are putting into this.

Thank you for bringing this to the finish line!

Follow my build here:
post #112 of 1479 Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I think we need something like this for the LFE menu

PROJECTS:

post #113 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

lolllllllllllll!!!!!

"When I lied, no one died" Bill Clinton

post #114 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

So, who wants to tell the Diesel power folk that the M1 Abrams neither runs on Diesel fuel nor has a Diesel engine?
post #115 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Had to look it up:

"The M1 Abrams is powered by a 1,500 shaft horsepower (1,100 kW) Honeywell AGT 1500 (originally made by Lycoming) gas turbine, and a six speed (four forward, two reverse) Allison X-1100-3B Hydro-Kinetic automatic transmission, giving it a governed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) on paved roads, and 30 mph (48 km/h) cross-country. With the engine governor removed, speeds of around 60 mph (97 km/h) are possible on an improved surface; however, damage to the drive train (especially to the tracks) and an increased risk of injuries to the crew can occur at speeds above 45 mph (72 km/h). The tank for all intents and purposes was built around this engine. The tank can be fueled with diesel fuel, kerosene, any grade of motor gasoline, JP-4 jet fuel, or JP-8 jet fuel; the US Army uses JP-8 jet fuel in order to simplify logistics. The Royal Australian Armoured Corps' M1A1 AIM SA uses diesel fuel; it is cheaper and makes practical sense for Australian military logistics."

PROJECTS:

post #116 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW. Glad the military overengineers those beasts. Can you imagine the complex fuel system to handle all of these different types of fuel? Maybe they can't switch from one to the other in the field?

Follow my build here:
post #117 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

WOW. Glad the military overengineers those beasts. Can you imagine the complex fuel system to handle all of these different types of fuel? Maybe they can't switch from one to the other in the field?

It's a gas turbine. They'll run on just about anything flammable. I don't think they need to change anything to switch between them as long as the fuel isn't corrosive to the fuel lines. And, it's probably not using rubber fuel lines either.

They sound just like a jet. It's pretty wild.
post #118 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Had to look it up:

"The M1 Abrams is powered by a 1,500 shaft horsepower (1,100 kW) Honeywell AGT 1500 (originally made by Lycoming) gas turbine, and a six speed (four forward, two reverse) Allison X-1100-3B Hydro-Kinetic automatic transmission, giving it a governed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) on paved roads, and 30 mph (48 km/h) cross-country. With the engine governor removed, speeds of around 60 mph (97 km/h) are possible on an improved surface; however, damage to the drive train (especially to the tracks) and an increased risk of injuries to the crew can occur at speeds above 45 mph (72 km/h). The tank for all intents and purposes was built around this engine. The tank can be fueled with diesel fuel, kerosene, any grade of motor gasoline, JP-4 jet fuel, or JP-8 jet fuel; the US Army uses JP-8 jet fuel in order to simplify logistics. The Royal Australian Armoured Corps' M1A1 AIM SA uses diesel fuel; it is cheaper and makes practical sense for Australian military logistics."

It's still not a turbo diesel. But, yes a gas turbine can be fueled by just about any flammable liquid with a low viscosity.
post #119 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

It's still not a turbo diesel. But, yes a gas turbine can be fueled by just about any flammable liquid with a low viscosity.

Saw one today on Furture Weapons that was a diesel hybrid that could run on battery only (fairly silient) for 20 minutes.

Current Status -

(Updated 10/01/2010)
post #120 of 1479 Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 PM

Liked: 11
this project looks very promising and cant wait too see/hear/feel the final product. Scuba, lemme know if you need any help -
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page