Help with home theater selection please first post - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I'll start by saying this is my first post. I am trying to purchase the best home theater for my money. So far I have bought a Samsung UN55B8000 55-Inch LED TV. I have old components hooked up to it now(Polk surround bar and Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver), but am looking to upgrade. I'm considering the Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver and the JBL L880's as left and rights and Prepac Ferentino 60" Flat Panel TV Stand in Black - BFG-5924 for my TV stand. Because I want this TV stand my center speaker needs to be 18.75" or smaller to fit in the stand. So what I'm really asking is what speakers would be recommended to compete my 7.1 system? Any suggestions or replacements would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The best advice I can give you is to read through various threads here on the forums. There are hundreds of correct answers to your questions. Spend some time reading, you're guaranteed to pick up some great tips and ideas.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

The best advice I can give you is to read through various threads here on the forums. There are hundreds of correct answers to your questions. Spend some time reading, you're guaranteed to pick up some great tips and ideas.

Be careful here... the more you read up on a thing the more you have to spend on it to be satisfied with it
post #4 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Just be sure and get something really good .. seriously, I'll throw my 2 cents out and recommend you go with Klipsch Speakers .. if you want real Theater sound at home, always go with a horn tweeter

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post

Be careful here... the more you read up on a thing the more you have to spend on it to be satisfied with it

I second this. I started reading the forums out of curiosity and it probably costs me 1000 bucks more every week I am on them.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There is no one right answer, but there is a wrong answer (and the wrong answer would be Bose).

As for the costs of reading this forum too much, I recall looking at my system one day and realized that it might have been cheaper to have a crack habit.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
In the old days you could just drive around and get a listen here , and a listen there. Now you have to listen to the owner describe their systems and the qualities they describe. It takes a while to get the hang of what they are saying and what they own.

There are kits, consumer audio, pro audio.... Read, read, read.

KG
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you are lucky, you might have a person on the forum who lives in your area and you could get a first hand peek at a theater and see what you can learn. A visit in person is not something that is easily replaced by a forum so see if you have some enthusiasts in the area to supplement what you pick up here, too.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

These are all wonderful suggestions, thank you so much for the quick replies. I think I'll narrow down to my most immediate question/next purchase. As I mentioned I'm planning on getting the JBL left and rights which are HUGE in comparison to the space I have for a center. Are there any under 19" wide center channels that will match my JBLs?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

If you are lucky, you might have a person on the forum who lives in your area and you could get a first hand peek at a theater and see what you can learn. A visit in person is not something that is easily replaced by a forum so see if you have some enthusiasts in the area to supplement what you pick up here, too.

I guess we are the showrooms of the future
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

I went to the "home of the future" at Disneyland about 8 years ago and told them it was not the home of the future. It was my house last year.

And Star Tours has nothing on my system!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page