The Budget Buffalo Basement Build is now underway! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 281 Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Drew, are you located in Buffalo, NY? (hence your thread title!)

Reason I ask is I have been searching for several weeks for a location to test some Berkline Theater Seats. All the stores around me don't have them in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 281 Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yes, Buffalo. There are no stores around here that carry them, either.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #273 of 281 Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Liked: 15
Hey Drew, thanks for all your effort in posting.

I noticed your furnace is just behind your screen. Do you notice the furnace coming on (the noise that is) now that your room is built ? That is a big concern for me right now (I'm back in design phase, with a 1/2 completed floor)

Cheers,

(knowing he shouldn't post before going on a 4 day hockey trip)
post #274 of 281 Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was very concerned about the furnace, since it sounds like a jet engine taking off when it's running. Seriously, I can hear it on the second floor. But I cannot hear it in the theater room. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I built the screen wall as a staggered stud wall and drywalled both sides with 5/8". I could always add another layer to the outer wall, but it's not needed. I really can't hear it much at all, especially with a movie running.

Oddly, the washer/dryer is also behind that same wall, a little further away. And because of the "hum" of the dryer when it's running, it sets up some kind of resonance that is amplified in certain parts of the theater room. So you can hear a low-frequency hum when the dryer is running. It's wierd, but not really noticeable unless it's dead quiet in the theater and you're actually paying attention to it. But it's there nontheless.

--Drew

post #275 of 281 Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Liked: 15
That's good to hear, thanks Drew. For me the furnace and HWT will be behind and to the left of the main seats. Not optimal, but I am glad to hear there is a chance it won't be a disaster. :-)

How far is the furnace from the SStud wall ?
post #276 of 281 Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymo View Post

That's good to hear, thanks Drew. For me the furnace and HWT will be behind and to the left of the main seats. Not optimal, but I am glad to hear there is a chance it won't be a disaster. :-)

How far is the furnace from the SStud wall ?

Only about 2 feet. Maybe less. The wall dampens out the sound very well.

--Drew

post #277 of 281 Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Drew, great build thread, and a beautiful theatre well done.

Two questions for you as I am building a very similar riser to yours.

1. What are the dimensions of your riser in terms of the walking depth on the first platform (e.g. 18"?) , and then the "foot room" in front of each seat on the second platform (e.g. 12")?

2. How have you found your 7.1 with front wides vs. the more traditional rears? My back row is going to be right against the back wall so rears probably won't do me much good anyways, I was considering either front heights or front wides.

18.5ft x 14ft home theatre room with 120" screen and 7.1 sound

post #278 of 281 Old 12-25-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 View Post

Drew, great build thread, and a beautiful theatre well done.

Two questions for you as I am building a very similar riser to yours.

1. What are the dimensions of your riser in terms of the walking depth on the first platform (e.g. 18"?) , and then the "foot room" in front of each seat on the second platform (e.g. 12")?

2. How have you found your 7.1 with front wides vs. the more traditional rears? My back row is going to be right against the back wall so rears probably won't do me much good anyways, I was considering either front heights or front wides.

Thanks. Haven't been on the forum for a while, but I just thought I'd check in for the heck of it while I'm on vacation.

To answer your questions:

1) I have about 19" of walking depth on the 1st level platform in front of the back row seats (22" of carpet space, really, but there is a 3" overhang). Then, on the 2nd level platform, I have an additional 15" of floor space in front of the seats.

2) I haven't tried putting the surrounds at the rear wall yet, but I do like the Wides. My back row is around 3 feet from the back wall, and my rear surrounds (if they matched my sides) would stick out another 15" from the wall. So yeah, they would be pretty close to the rear seats. I haven't tried them yet, though, but I plan on doing it next year after I move some speakers around. I have noticed that there is somewhat of a lack of "surround" in the theater when sitting in the back row, but it's not bad. The added front stage while sitting in the FRONT row is a nice impact, and I rarely sit in the back anyway.

Thanks for the questions. Good luck.

--Drew

post #279 of 281 Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 PM

I've been enjoying reading your build thread, especially since your room is quite similar to mine. I'm still a ways off (I'm working on the soffits now) but I wanted to get some clarification on a couple of the issues you had.

First, the solid core door. I've got a similar door and was wondering if you had improved the sound insulation since your original post where you had leakage. I plan to do weatherstripping around the perimeter and add some sort of sill insulation - maybe even one of the "extending seals" that the Soundproofing Company offers. I am worried though, since your results match my speculation that a solid hunk of wood will be no match for the staggered-stud, double-5/8 drywall + GG + R-19 combination. There are a bunch of door threads out there, so I'll probably end up OK, but I wanted to see what you thought.

Second, ventilation. I plan on doing the same thing you are - simply moving air from the cooler finished basement space into the theater via two vent fans (one on intake, one on output). Thing is the highest-rated vent fans I can find are only about 150 cfm, where you mentioned yours is 300 cfm. What fan did you end up using? More importantly, since you said this volume wasn't enough, I'm wondering what I'll need to move enough air.

Thanks for any advice you can provide, and thanks again for the informative thread.
post #280 of 281 Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswayze View Post

First, the solid core door. I've got a similar door and was wondering if you had improved the sound insulation since your original post where you had leakage. I plan to do weatherstripping around the perimeter and add some sort of sill insulation - maybe even one of the "extending seals" that the Soundproofing Company offers. I am worried though, since your results match my speculation that a solid hunk of wood will be no match for the staggered-stud, double-5/8 drywall + GG + R-19 combination.

I'm in the same boat.

FYI, I just bought two door bottom seals from "Builder's Lock". The seal is made by Pemko in various lengths and can be trimmed:
http://www.builderslock.com/pemko-au...le-p29860.html

They had a good price and the web site is informative as to the lengths.

Yesterday I had a friend with a router help cut out a slot in the bottom of the door. I was surprised how HEAVY the door is off the hinges! Apparently the core is MDF.

I will let you know how effective it is once I get a friend to help me heave the door back up stairs to the HT.

Paul
post #281 of 281 Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Liked: 12
I know there hasn't been much activity on this post in awhile, but I thought I'd thank you, Drew, for walking us through your build. Fantastic job.

I think it's past time to upgrade my equipment and my room.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page