110" / 120" screen - Center speaker top/bottom - stage 6" or 10" -- No name theatre.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help me out..I don't want to start theater build thread until I finish the electrical lighting & stage. Mine is dedicated, i didn't finish the complete rendering yet..
  • Room size 14' X 18' - Center entrance door ( sucks )
  • Soffit construction is done - to cover the sloped ceiling on the 2 corners
  • Love to keep two rows
Note : Screen wall design is not shown - all the speakers will be hidden behind false wall..
Questions towards the title....Please see the pics below
DONEQuestion 1:
110" screen or 120" screen, I really love to watch big screen - coz i never watched from my childhood,
please see the measurement and guide me - is it better to be happy with 110" or go for 120"

Question 2:
Center speaker placement - assuming 7" is CS height - is that 20" space is enough (if i choose 120") to keep CS under the screen. ( which will be hidden in the false wall too..

DONE: Question 3:
in the third pic, you will see, projector is sitting 15'8" from the screen and 19" above the screen level ( AS PER HC3800 Calculator ) - issue is I have only 3" space between top of the projector & ceiling - If i mount additional fan for recirculation inside - 3" is ok or it will damage the life?

Question 4:
Stage height is 10" - can i reduce it to 6" - what different will it make if i reduce or keep it - whats ur input?

All the four above questions are interrelated.

Please help me out -
Thanks
No Name Theatre...

to be continued after closing this thread with everyone help
Lighting Layout ( 3 Zone lighting, rope lighting, 3" can perimeter lighting, 5" screen focus lighting, strip lighting sideway, stage lighting)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Q1: I started off with a 92" screen and it had to be replaced and got a 100" screen instead. Decided to go with a Dalite HP screen for a brighter pic and got a 106" screen. I'm already considering going to a custom 122" screen at some point (which is about the biggest screen that will work in my room).

Having said that if you want big I would go now if the projector you are looking at purchasing can light the screen sufficiently.

Q2: Personally, I would decide on the screen size first. Once you decide I would plan your stage accordingly. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 AM

Liked: 10
I am on my second theater (second house), and my fourth screen, The screens got bigger each time.

My advice is to go as big as you can right off the bat. Avoid screen size remorse. If you go smaller you will be sorry!
post #4 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

I am on my second theater (second house), and my fourth screen, The screens got bigger each time.

My advice is to go as big as you can right off the bat. Avoid screen size remorse. If you go smaller you will be sorry!

I posted the question about the HC3800 performance at 15'3" throw distance, let me see what the end users are sayin about the performance - mainly brightness level..
If i can stick to 120" screen - change it to different projector..under $2000, I will be able to pull the budget up and look for different kind.

Issue is all my front stage is depends up on screen size.....( I should never went to my friends house - where I saw 150" projection on wall..)

post #5 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
go with the 120"
post #6 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Q1: answer: 120" is fixed
Q3: answer: HC3800 - no problem , second option is Panny 4000U no problem either..

Please help me on Q2 & Q4 - i am planning to buy screen from ebay shopping deals.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a 110" and 120" screen visual comparison : http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?e...c8e62b2f094e5d

A 120" screen is roughly 59" tall and you will need to factor in your top and bottom border for your screen to determine the height (and I would also factor in a small area above the screen border and below it so that it doesn't look overly cramped in). Your height is being limited by your sofit. My center is 8" tall. Your center may be 7" tall now but what if you upgrade later and a new center speaker is taller? If it were me I would reduce the height of your stage or consider placing the center in the sofit and aim it downwards. Or else I would reduce the height of the stage and make it one level rather than two. This is just my opinion though.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post

I posted the question about the HC3800 performance at 15'3" throw distance, let me see what the end users are sayin about the performance - mainly brightness level..
If i can stick to 120" screen - change it to different projector..under $2000, I will be able to pull the budget up and look for different kind.

Issue is all my front stage is depends up on screen size.....( I should never went to my friends house - where I saw 150" projection on wall..)

Use this link to help you determine brightness for different projectors:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm
post #9 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Use this link to help you determine brightness for different projectors:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

Thanks...I am trying to see the projector in action ( lookin for local dealers in houston tx )
Recommended Image Brightness for Low Ambient light ( I think it should be good, didnt say " HIGHER IMAGE BRIGHTNESS", just by goin with Projector central..)

post #10 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

My opinion is that the center is fine.... just tilt it so that its firing up slightly to match the general location of the listener's ears.

Bud

There is a solution to every problem.

2nd Run Cinema - A fabric frame theater
post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

* Changed the Stage Height to 8"
* Top of Projector Screen is 2.5" from the soffit ( which includes the Screen Frame also )

Question:
1. Now Center Speaker is 10" above the floor - 4" below the screen : Speaker height is 4.75"
Help me out -- I never thought of keeping the CS on the top, I prefer to keep it down, but if i have to I will...help me out.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If at all possible, you're better off with the center channel above the screen and angled toward the seating area.

We have a harder time locating sounds from above, plus the sound to the back rows won't be blocked by the seats and/or people in the front row.

Can you put it in the soffit?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #13 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

If at all possible, you're better off with the center channel above the screen and angled toward the seating area.

We have a harder time locating sounds from above, plus the sound to the back rows won't be blocked by the seats and/or people in the front row.

Can you put it in the soffit?

For reference, I am using Polk CS2 Specification : 11.13" X 7.75" X 22"
I dont want to, But if i have it - I will find a way...looks like I dont have much angle deflection. Unless if i break the ceiling just for 2ft to push it above. I dont think its a big deal.
Should i go for it?
I am a normal music / movie / lover -- Will I be satisfied with this position? -

I should be able to close this thread after this question. All other questions are answered - thanks..

post #14 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I checked with my Polk CS1 - on top of the screen option..
Fits perfect and I can tilt also...man ..speaker is heavy..need to add wood to carry this right in the middle.
So at this moment I have both options from the group advise,
1. bottom of the screen - tilt up enough
2. top of the screen - tilt down..

thread is closed be back after stage..

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page