Quail Creek Cinema - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #91 of 124 Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Most of you may already know this but, the color black is relative. I'm covering my stage with black carpet. I came home with 3 samples. Wow!! What a difference between the three!! Under the lights at home the left sample looks gray and the middle one looks purple!! Needless to say I went with the one on the right Funny, I thought I was gonna pick the middle one!!! Glad I brought home the samples!!

"Nick, what did your dad get done in the movie room tonight?" "Nothin', he just went down there and stared again".
Build Link
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18526304
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 Old 01-06-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Ah, he returns and showing progress to boot! Welcome back thanks for leaving us hanging. Oh and going carpet shopping without the advise of a CCC is risky business. Careful attentions needs to be paid when you are treading the shark infested waters of carpet shopping. You have already experienced seeing carpet in your own environment is a must.

Looks good and the wife must be really happy with her workout room, that is pretty slick.

Now don't stay away for so long next time.

Regards,

RTROSE
neaner72 likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #93 of 124 Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Get 'er done now, neaner! The time is nigh!

neaner72 likes this.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #94 of 124 Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Who's excited? This guy!!!! The carpet for the stage is here!!! Rented the carpet stapler and tools from Home Depot and ready to rock and roll. I'm hoping to have it done tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow night.

"Nick, what did your dad get done in the movie room tonight?" "Nothin', he just went down there and stared again".
Build Link
post #95 of 124 Old 01-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Don't let up now, you can do it! Looking good. Nice work out area.
neaner72 likes this.

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #96 of 124 Old 01-10-2015, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

THE STAGE IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very pleased with the end results. All in all it wasn't that bad to do. The hardest parts were dealing with the curve and seaming the one foot section one the righthand side. I do know one thing for sure. I dont ever want to lay carpet for a living!! This step really pulled the room together and I couln't be happier! The wife got me the Polk speakers I've been eyeballing for Christmas and the cherry finish looks fantastic with the new stage!!! Enjoy. I am.

Jonny5nz, J_P_A and 24Changer like this.

Build Link

Last edited by neaner72; 01-19-2015 at 05:44 PM.
post #97 of 124 Old 01-14-2015, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sound reflection off of screen?

Hey guys! Been digging aroung tonight and can't seem to find the answer I need. I currently have and plan on using my 120" Da-lite screen (see pics of build). My plans were to treat the back wall with 1" linacoustic and cover that with black velvet and nice heavy curtians on both sides of screen. My concern at the moment is will the screen reflect sound from the rear speakers (7.1 setup). Feedback please!

Build Link
post #98 of 124 Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone............

Build Link
post #99 of 124 Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I wouldn't worry too much about reflections from the rear speakers -- not much sound really comes from the rears. But I would be sure to treat the front wall behind the screen to reduce reflections generally. In my case it will be 2 layers of 1-inch Linacoustic with a layer of 6-mil poly plastic in between.
post #100 of 124 Old 01-15-2015, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about reflections from the rear speakers -- not much sound really comes from the rears.
You bring up a good point LeBon. It shouldn't be that much of an issue then. Thanks for responding!

Build Link
post #101 of 124 Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now on to trimming out the HT for the Linacoustic. Picked up a product called Miratec 5/4 trim at my local Menards. It's 1" thick and reasonably priced at 75 cents a foot. I've finished the back wall and am happy with the results.

Jonny5nz likes this.

Build Link
post #102 of 124 Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Getting ready to trim out the the entry to the HT and ran accross this. Sad reminder on how long this is actually taking me. It was put there by my then 14 year old son. He's going to be 19 next month!!!!!! Gotta stay focused and and reach the finish line!!! Am I the only one here with the slower than the speed of darkness build???
J_P_A likes this.

Build Link
post #103 of 124 Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Good evening all. Hope everyone had a great and productive weekend. With that being said, I put a small dent in the HT. I trimmed out the door to the HT. That itself went fairly quick but, the staining and varnishing took the bulk of my time. Install was a breeze with my new Porter Cable nailers. Why did it take me so long to get one of these???? Purchased a 4 piece set with 2 nailers, a staple gun and compressor for $199.00 at Home Depot. Best $200 I ever spent!!! Here are some pics of the finished work. Took them with the iphone so the door looks a little fish eyed. Trust me, everything is square and true. As you all can see, I currently have no plans for doors. I may consider some heavy drapes in the future if I see the need to "close" the room. Enjoy!

J_P_A likes this.

Build Link
post #104 of 124 Old 01-25-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Porter Cable package is nice. I purchased the compressor on Amazon a couple of years ago. It has been used on many projects around the house, I hope you enjoy yours.
neaner72 likes this.
post #105 of 124 Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraxe View Post
The Porter Cable package is nice. I purchased the compressor on Amazon a couple of years ago. It has been used on many projects around the house, I hope you enjoy yours.

For sure!! I love em' already. They're really going to come in handy when it comes to making my columns and doing the fabric and trim work.

Build Link
post #106 of 124 Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question guys. I'm in the process of putting up my Linacoustic on the screen wall. Is the 3M spray adhesive a necessary evil? Obviously I want it to stay flush but, have any of you done without it? I'm doing this by myself and I have a feeling the adhesive could become a nightmare. I do plan on staking it down with plastic washer nails. Any input would be appreciated.

Build Link
post #107 of 124 Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone...............

Build Link
post #108 of 124 Old 03-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I don't really know the answer, but you would think that as long as it it's secure the washer nails should be okay.
neaner72 likes this.
post #109 of 124 Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by neaner72 View Post
Quick question guys. I'm in the process of putting up my Linacoustic on the screen wall. Is the 3M spray adhesive a necessary evil? Obviously I want it to stay flush but, have any of you done without it? I'm doing this by myself and I have a feeling the adhesive could become a nightmare. I do plan on staking it down with plastic washer nails. Any input would be appreciated.
I just used nails and plastic washers.
neaner72 likes this.

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #110 of 124 Old 04-11-2015, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, been plugging away and I've been making progress. I'm currently at the 1'" thick trim/Linacoustic phase. I have most of the trim up except for a few outlets and have cut and fit the Linacoustic into position. The Linacoustic cuts nice and is really easy to work with and chalk works perfect for marking. I'll spend the next few days finishing the trim and nailing down the Linacoustic with plastic cap nails. Here are some pics of the progress. Enjoy!

Jonny5nz likes this.

Build Link
post #111 of 124 Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to post last night. When nailing the Linacoustic to the walls, I had an issue with it wanting to bow away from the trim. There are no 2X4's behind these areas to drive the plastic capped nails into. I was worried that you may be able to see it after the upholstery was up. I found that NM staples did the trick pinning it down. Hope this may help some of you.

Build Link
post #112 of 124 Old 04-12-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Looking good Nean been a long time coming
neaner72 likes this.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #113 of 124 Old 04-13-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
Looking good Nean been a long time coming
Thanks Scott! Yes, loooong time coming. It's been real motivating working with the final layers. I can see the finish line!! Worked on the screen wall last night. Turned out nice. I'll post pics tonight.

Build Link
post #114 of 124 Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, switched it up a little. Hancock Fabrics had their awesome 50% off sale last week. Well, needless to say I couldn't let that slip by without taking advantage of it. Went down there and picked up 10 yards of black micro velvet for the screen wall. Got $160 of velvet for $80 . Got the fabric home and decided to work on the screen wall and take a little break from nailing all the Linacoustic plus, with the screen wall done I can hook my speakers back up and rock out with a real sound system rather than using this cheesy little boom box I have. Spent quite a bit of time wetting and drying it to get the wrinkles out but, with a little time and patience, no more wrinkles. Well, got the fabric stretched and stapled and it looks fantastic!! Very pleased with the outcome. I 'll eventually have curtains on both sides of the screen but, I'm not sure what my wall colors are going to be at this time. So, here are some pics of the progress. Enjoy!

Jonny5nz and W00lly like this.

Build Link
post #115 of 124 Old 04-13-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neaner72 View Post
Ok guys, switched it up a little. Hancock Fabrics had their awesome 50% off sale last week. Well, needless to say I couldn't let that slip by without taking advantage of it. Went down there and picked up 10 yards of black micro velvet for the screen wall. Got $160 of velvet for $80 . Got the fabric home and decided to work on the screen wall and take a little break from nailing all the Linacoustic plus, with the screen wall done I can hook my speakers back up and rock out with a real sound system rather than using this cheesy little boom box I have. Spent quite a bit of time wetting and drying it to get the wrinkles out but, with a little time and patience, no more wrinkles. Well, got the fabric stretched and stapled and it looks fantastic!! Very pleased with the outcome. I 'll eventually have curtains on both sides of the screen but, I'm not sure what my wall colors are going to be at this time. So, here are some pics of the progress. Enjoy!

looking nice.
W00lly and neaner72 like this.
post #116 of 124 Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to think that picking out upholstery/colors just might be the hardest part about this build. Jeez!!

Build Link
post #117 of 124 Old 04-19-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think black is always a good choice for the lower half. How about a simple tan color like your carpet. how do you plan on attaching it with panels or staple right to the furring strips. you could make up a few sample panels of different colors and put them up to see how you like them
neaner72 likes this.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #118 of 124 Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
I think black is always a good choice for the lower half. How about a simple tan color like your carpet. how do you plan on attaching it with panels or staple right to the furring strips. you could make up a few sample panels of different colors and put them up to see how you like them
I was thinking somewhere along those lines as well Scott. I'll be stapling the upholstery right to the furring strips. Picked up some samples from Hancock Fabrics. Posting pics here in a couple minutes.

Build Link
post #119 of 124 Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, picked up some upholstery samples from Hancock Fabrics. Did a little mockup with some scrap wood trim to simulate a column and chair rail. I don't know if I'm totally sold on either of them. $22 a yard on sale for a solid color kind of sucks too. I was really hoping to find a print that I would like but nothing hits my fancy. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Build Link

Last edited by neaner72; 04-20-2015 at 05:32 PM.
post #120 of 124 Old 04-20-2015, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a pic with the 2 colors side by side.

Build Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction